• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I have just checked, that last time I'm updating my Windows was on February 7th, 2010. Boy, I must have left my Windows outdated for a really long time lol

Another thing, I wonder what's your opinions on SD cards or any variants of it?

Go install every single update. Keep doing that. Keep checking for new updates until it gives you zero updates. Windows updates are not just security updates - they also carry reliability, performance, and compatibility fixes, as well as also making sure that other Microsoft applications up to date if you've enabled that, too.

Some updates are even both. Take all the "critical" Internet Explorer updates, for example. Besides fixing security bugs, they also throw in performance fixes and also fixes some rendering bugs (for an example, when IE9 was first released, it had issues with rendering SVG files. A critical "security" update also contains fixes for that.) IE 9.0.0 is different from IE 9.0.10. (Sometimes I keep thinking they should increment the IE version number by 0.5 when they're 6 Critical Security Updates in...)

I'm a fan of SD cards and its smaller variants. I tend to use them as permanent storage more often. Except on my laptop, because it has so much space.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I can't wait for the Windows 8.1 update next Friday, personally. Hopefully it'll fix some of the issues my laptop has with Windows Explorer crashing all the time when launching programs and apps from the Home screen.

Usually, if Windows and/or Internet Explorer crashes, it's probably something else causing it. A majority of IE crashes are caused by third-party add-ons judging from IE telemetry.

Has it always been crashing since the beginning?

Years
I have just checked, that last time I'm updating my Windows was on February 7th, 2010. Boy, I must have left my Windows outdated for a really long time lol
You should follow [supporter]♪Twiggy♪[/supporter]'s advice and update your Windows, even if does take a long time to do so.

And btw, in recent months, my computer has waited until at least Thursday before it overrides my decision to do updates (as compared to when I first installed Windows 7 onto my desktop, it installed and restarted immediately).

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I think they're getting way smarter with the timing of the updates these days.

Sometimes I check for updates myself anyway, even when it's not just after Patch Tuesday. Sometimes I get unexpected stuff...

Or it's a firmware update, in the case of the Surface.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
You should follow [supporter]♪Twiggy♪[/supporter]'s advice and update your Windows, even if does take a long time to do so.

Now I'm starting to update my Windows one by one after my last post here, and I noticed that after some updates, they finally offer me Windows 7 SP1. I wonder if my laptop is ready for it, though.

EDIT: I have downloading it, and Windows Update is smart enough to reduce the size of SP1 when I have updated some part of it before. I wish any kind of updates can be flexible like this.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Now I'm starting to update my Windows one by one after my last post here, and I noticed that after some updates, they finally offer me Windows 7 SP1. I wonder if my laptop is ready for it, though.

EDIT: I have downloading it, and Windows Update is smart enough to reduce the size of SP1 when I have updated some part of it before. I wish any kind of updates can be flexible like this.

Just download and install everything. Eventually, you'll need Windows 7 SP1 for even everyday applications. A bunch of things (including games) don't support vanilla Windows 7 these days.

Most Windows updates are differential and incremental - they only change what they need to change, and newer updates that do the same thing as the previous update replace them entirely.

Years
Well I guess I jinxed myself with Windows Updates.. woke up this morning and there my desktop was on the login screen :p but this must have been a large Patch Tuesday because a lot of updates in my list of installed updates came from today.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Well I guess I jinxed myself with Windows Updates.. woke up this morning and there my desktop was on the login screen :p but this must have been a large Patch Tuesday because a lot of updates in my list of installed updates came from today.

Haha :)

Most of my computers over here update Wednesdays because of time zones.

Years
Just did a count and it appears 28 updates came through Windows Update for me, although I'm sure that number is going to be different for others.. I also installed 2 optional updates today and now my Windows is up to date :P

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Speaking of Windows updates, my Surface RT got a firmware update today, dated the eighth of October.

I can't wait for the day where all Windows computers can update their firmware through Windows Update.

Years
Updating firmware would be neat through Windows Updates, but at least drivers can be updated through Windows Update as well.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Sometimes, the drivers you get from Windows Update is all you need.

I still prefer proper driver packages, though.

One thing about hard disk drives is that they're more resilient than you'd think. Most modern hard disk drives should be able to handle shock up to 350G operating.

Years
Welp, I mad the silly mistake of ignoring windows updated and now I am left with a computer that won't start up!
If you can, before you get to the Windows loading screen, try hitting F8 on your keyboard and you should see a list of options come up. See if "Boot into last good known configuration" works. If not, then try a system restore and see if that work.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
If you can, before you get to the Windows loading screen, try hitting F8 on your keyboard and you should see a list of options come up. See if "Boot into last good known configuration" works. If not, then try a system restore and see if that work.

That will work.

Windows 8 and RT will also figure it out if it sees three unsuccessful boot attempts in a row.

blue

gucci
Years
I tried that but it just did the same thing as going into "Start Windows Normally". I managed to start it up and get into the System Recovery software by pressing F2, basically I've done a system restore and it's working again! n_n

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I tried that but it just did the same thing as going into "Start Windows Normally". I managed to start it up and get into the System Recovery software by pressing F2, basically I've done a system restore and it's working again! n_n

Cool.

Have you tried reinstalling updates yet? (Try installing all updates that are checked by default - not all updates. Some updates have a higher chance of installation success if installed after some updates.)

Years
The last time I had a corrupt Windows Update was when I tried like 4 times to install Windows 7 SP1 on my laptop last year.. however what the culprit was is that I had a bad boot record, so after fixing that SP1 was able to install fine onto my laptop (and any other subsequent updates as well).

Years
*gives this topic more activity*

Ah, so I booted my laptop for the first time in ages today and so far it seems to be running okay, except for all the updates I had on it :p I also booted up Skype as well and that didn't take long thank gosh

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
*gives this topic more activity*

Ah, so I booted my laptop for the first time in ages today and so far it seems to be running okay, except for all the updates I had on it :p I also booted up Skype as well and that didn't take long thank gosh

Well, that's good news, at least

And good to see you back online, too.

Anyway... uh, well, tried reinstalling the updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back