• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The future of the PokéDex #D Pro & Pokémon X/Y

iTeruri

iAm
Years
As we all know Gamefreak released a 3DS-app known as the Pokédex 3D Pro. This nifty app allows you to look up information about all Pokémon on the spot. It includes much more information than the in-games PokéDexes (for example; information on how to evolve Pokémon and their learnsets).

What future do you forsee for the PokéDex Pro?

I love the PokéDex Pro, but I think it's annoying to use while playing White 2 on my 3DS. I have to save the game, go to the home menu and launch the PokéDex. I hope that Gamefreak is able to incorporate the Dex somehow in X/Y. For example; when the PokéDex Pro is installed on your 3DS you can launch it from X/Y. No need to save your game and go to the menu; the game does it all for you. Because the 3DS doesn't support multi-tasking yet (only one app can be active at any time) this might be a challenge.

Also I'm wondering if you think Gamefreak will update the Dex with the new Pokémon. All new Pokémon will have 3D-models, so that won't be the problem. They might release a free update for all PokéDex Pro owners, or have one at a fee. Another possibility is that Gamefreak won't update the Dex at all, which would be a shame.

Let's recap: I'd like to ask you these questions:
- How do you think Pokémon X/Y and the PokéDex 3D Pro will work together?
- Do you think Gamefreak will update the Pokédex 3D Pro with all of the new Pokémon?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Probably gonna charge 20 bucks for everyone who doesn't have it, and a 5 buck extra charge for the upgrade, if they do go with it. But I do believe having an in-game 3D Pokedex and a 3D dex app as well would be quite redundant.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
1) Creatures Inc made the Pokedex 3D/Pokedex 3D Pro/ iSO Pokedex not Gamefreak.

2) For the 3DS one, they will either issue out updates to the ones we already have to include the new Pokemon into them as well as update the attack list or do like they did with 3D Pokedex/Pro and have the older one removed and replaced by the newer one.

For the iSO version, they'll do a 5.99 upgrade with this region's Pokemon like they do with Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. When you get the iSO Pokedex you only get Unova and have to pay to get the others. They'll probably do the same. Course the 3D renders on the Pokedexes will be different from the new games since they each use different styles.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Or, you know, you could just pull up Bulbapedia, which has tons more information about the Pokemon anyway.

My honest opinion on the Pokedex 3D Pro (which is just my opinion, and nothing else):

I thought the 3D Dex Pro was pretty to look at (depending on the Pokemon, that is...) but now that we're going to receive 3D models of all Pokemon anyway, I do not see the point of updating the Pokedex Pro, or continuing the Pokedex series. There's just no use for it, anymore.

It would also be extremely impractical for Gamefreak to go out of their way to have to synchronize their game with some third party device for no apparent reason, when all main Pokemon games carry their own Pokedexes anyway. I do not care for the Pokedex either way (in-game or otherwise), because unless they carry nifty little features like where to find Pokemon in-game (which is convenient when you can just quickly pull it up and find what you need while playing, without the hassle of going onto a computer) they only carry a very small fraction of all the information that you could find on the internet. Most of the information that Pokedexes do carry are things that players won't go, "Oh, I need to find out Leavanny's height, let me turn my DS on and go through the hassle of finding Leavanny in the Pokedex, only if I have encountered one before!" for. Rather, they'll search whatever tidbit of information they need on the internet, if they even need it at all.

And there's the added thought that in only a few years, all the information within a Pokedex 3D Pro-like application is going to be horribly outdated, anyway. Releasing update after update for such an application is largely impractical.

Although, if the Pokedex 3D Pro does indeed have a quiz-like feature (which I've read about), I think that would be a nifty feature to include in future Pokemon games.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I think Game Freak would indeed update the Pokédex 3D Pro, this would make it fair for everyone so that they wouldn't have to buy it again. But I guess there's also a chance they won't have a new version of Pokédex 3D available, since Pokémon X and Pokémon Y will have the Pokémon in full 3D and knowing that the Pokédex would be implemented in the game.

Years
  • Seen Jan 31, 2013
Or, you know, you could just pull up Bulbapedia, which has tons more information about the Pokemon anyway.

My honest opinion on the Pokedex 3D Pro (which is just my opinion, and nothing else):

I thought the 3D Dex Pro was pretty to look at (depending on the Pokemon, that is...) but now that we're going to receive 3D models of all Pokemon anyway, I do not see the point of updating the Pokedex Pro, or continuing the Pokedex series. There's just no use for it, anymore.

It would also be extremely impractical for Gamefreak to go out of their way to have to synchronize their game with some third party device for no apparent reason, when all main Pokemon games carry their own Pokedexes anyway. I do not care for the Pokedex either way (in-game or otherwise), because unless they carry nifty little features like where to find Pokemon in-game (which is convenient when you can just quickly pull it up and find what you need while playing, without the hassle of going onto a computer) they only carry a very small fraction of all the information that you could find on the internet. Most of the information that Pokedexes do carry are things that players won't go, "Oh, I need to find out Leavanny's height, let me turn my DS on and go through the hassle of finding Leavanny in the Pokedex, only if I have encountered one before!" for. Rather, they'll search whatever tidbit of information they need on the internet, if they even need it at all.

And there's the added thought that in only a few years, all the information within a Pokedex 3D Pro-like application is going to be horribly outdated, anyway. Releasing update after update for such an application is largely impractical.

Although, if the Pokedex 3D Pro does indeed have a quiz-like feature (which I've read about), I think that would be a nifty feature to include in future Pokemon games.

Agreed. I just have to pull out my laptop type in the Pokemon name and boom problem solved :)

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
I was wondering something similar. I'm waiting to buy it to see if Gen 6 is included. Another point you bring up is how far behind pokemon is on auto saving.

iTeruri

iAm
Years
Agreed. I just have to pull out my laptop type in the Pokemon name and boom problem solved :)

That can't be done in all situations. The thing about the 3DS is that it's a handheld, which means not everyone has a computer nearby. That's what's so great about the PokéDex 3D Pro, it's right there on your 3DS with all information you need. While Bulbapedia has more information, it's rather useless when you can't access it. The in-game PokéDex is very lacking.

Back