• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The "Pseudo" Starters

Did you enjoy the Pseudo-starters?

• Yes

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 41 59.4%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I didnt in the original game because they are reallt weak, but I dont mind fighting them whenever someone else have them.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
If they have pseudo-starters in the next generation, I'd like them to be useful. The elemental monkeys were good to have around during the first few gyms, but they lose their usefulness by the time you get around the fifth gym because, by then, you already have better Pokémon. I really liked their designs, though. They looked pretty cute to me. =)

Last edited:
Years
I think Simisage is the only decent looking of the final evolutions in my opinion. Simipour's eyes look odd and Simisear looks like it's gotten high off of marijuana.

They were included in the game as a means to counter Cilan/Cress/Chili for Trio Badge, but their usefulness diminishes as you progress through the game.

Years
Honestly, I had a BITTER hatred for all of them except for Pansage, who was mediocre if that. The Simis are horrible, not very good move sets and unbearably ugly. The Pans are a little less ugly, Pansage being the exception, who is decent. I was mad these Pokemon even saw the light of day.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 1, 2019
I loved them :) Specially Pansage and Simisear. Note the Simi and Pan differences.

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I personally hated the idea. Don't get me wrong, psudo-starters are not a bad idea, and I love how Gen 6 are making Gen 1 starters into Gen 6-Psudo starters. But these monkeys are kinda lame, and I don't feel that they don't belong in the Pokemon world except to make a game that's already easy even easier. Lose the monkeys, gimme better Pokemon!

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2019
I think it was really neat that they did something like this. I'm not too crazy about them, though. I don't know, it's probably just their designs and the fact that I see them as mediocre.

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
Years
I enjoyed these monkeys. although I never used them,I liked the fact that you get some aid with the first gym.

SoulRoach

Hoenn Fanboy
Years
I personally found these pokémon to be very weak, and after beating the first gym I gave up on them, and stored them in a box.I do like the concept, but the designs and the overall weakness (or maybe I just suck.) of the pokémon drives me away from using them.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I loved Pansage in the anime, and I admit it solely defeated Cress in White, when my Tepig couldn't quite cut it. But other than that, I'm not a huge fan. I think they could have made them less cartoon-like.

The speak/see/hear no evil theme is pretty cool though, and the gym leader trio changing and using them is also a cool thing. I just don't use the monkey I get much after that city.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
No. They're all messes imo.
Weak, ugly design, and overall just pointless except for an HM slave

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
I'm using Simipour in my current run of White, and I really love it so far. It has really nice attacking stats and is also very fast for in game use. In my first run of White, I tried using Simisage. I honestly didn't like it very much. It was very defensive/stall based and I just couldn't find a place for it in my in game team. Overall, I do quite like the idea of them. It helps you complete the Fire/Grass/Water defensive core very early on in the game and they're also all adorable XD

MaoMint

☘ 小猫咪 ☘
Years
The general idea wasn't bad at all!
I just wasn't fond of the actual Pokémon at all. I'm generally not too fond of Monkeys and neither of these three appealed to me.
Didn't use mine during the story mode and I doubt I'll ever use them at any later time. : (

Back