• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Unpopular Anime Opinions

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
There's one for Pokemon and Gaming so I decided to bring it here! :D just for Lapras ;)

Anyways Basically what you do is post some opinion you state any and all anime related opinions you have that you think are unpopular among the Anime/Manga community. And an extra note PLEASE don't attack someone else for their comments. You may disagree with them, but keep it civil.

For me the one that sticks out the most is how much I hate Elfen/Lied. I just hated the characters, animation, story, and everything... ugh... I can't stand that show >.<

Also I don't really like alot of shonen shows: Naruto, One Piece, Bleach (after a certain point) the list goes on and on.

Oh and SAO can go die along with it's fan girls ;D

Years
Oh and SAO can go die along with it's fan girls ;D

Even though it's got iffy pacing and lots of other flaws, it's still a fun ride (which is the most important thing I seek out in a series)! >:(

A potentially unpopular opinion I hold is that I thoroughly enjoy the Pokemon anime, yet think the first season was actually among the worst seasons for the anime.

I also like dubs more than subs. This recently changed.

Years
Hi this is my first post

- SAO is okay. But it got overrated and the second arc isn't as good as the first so meh.

- I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but Toriko is terribly bad.

- Watching Bleach after the Soul Society Arc is cancerous to your health. Stay away.

- Shingeki no Kyojin is good, but when you read the manga and get to the latest chapters, it gradually bores me more and more.

Years
I agree with the previous posts saying SAO is overrated. Aside from Kirito being the main character, there was nothing that kept me interested, especially when they decided to send them to another MMORPG. Like, what?

Never understood the hype for Naruto, One Piece, and Fairy Tail. Never watched the latter 2 series and Naruto I stopped watching after 100 episodes. Naruto's voice was getting on my nerves.

Years
My favourite anime>Your favourite anime

*insert table-flip gif here*

though from a writing, mass appeal, and execution standpoint that may very well be true since my favorite anime is either Haruhi or Genshiken depending on the alignment of the planets, and sometimes it's even Pokemon, and many of the jokes require an understanding of the subcultures tied to the series in a way

Another unpopular opinion I have is that the Endless Eight was one of the best things to ever happen in an anime. EVER. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And that Angel Beats was good but overhyped.

Swords Art Online being bad is an unpopular opinion?

Well, ****.

To the masses, yes. It's pretty well hyped and quite liked Stateside.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Never understood the hype for Naruto, One Piece, and Fairy Tail. Never watched the latter 2 series and Naruto I stopped watching after 100 episodes. Naruto's voice was getting on my nerves.

well obviously lol, if you haven't watched OP and FT how do you expect to understand? :P

Um, probably my only unpopular opinion is that I didn't think Neon Genesis Evangelion was really good. I watched all the episodes and then the Rebuild movies just to see if those would be better, but they weren't imo. =/

Years
well obviously lol, if you haven't watched OP and FT how do you expect to understand? :P

Um, probably my only unpopular opinion is that I didn't think Neon Genesis Evangelion was really good. I watched all the episodes and then the Rebuild movies just to see if those would be better, but they weren't imo. =/

Good point XD But it's personal preference that I don't like either one of their concepts/themes :P Another unpopular opinion of mine would have to be character-related: Inoue Orihime from Bleach is the only female character I've actually liked (though her seiyuu makes her slightly annoying at times), but her personality is one I can even relate to.

Mew

The New Species Pokémon
Years
I actually like the Pokémon anime, unlike people who say "it isn't mature/hardcore/Ash is a ******* n00b".

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Another unpopular opinion I have is that the Endless Eight was one of the best things to ever happen in an anime. EVER. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
JESUS CHRIST! =D
Quick question... have you watched it all together or ongoing style?

Swords Art Online being bad is an unpopular opinion?
Less unpopular that Eotenas being bad but still unpopular, I guess.

While One Piece is a masterpiece and Fairy Tail could pretty much be the most interesting long running shounen, long running is still long running, it gets boring after a while :/

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I definitely did not watch it while it was airing. Got introduced to Haruhi too late to catch it airing live. I sort of marathoned it, roughly 2 or 3 episodes a night, so I was able to catch some of the subtle differences between episodes.
Okay...that makes sense.
You can only say that Endless 8 was good when you weren't waiting each week for something new =/

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
I think watching Hetalia is worse than having your appendix pulled without anesthetics. Watching countless pathetic attempts at ethnic humor is painful. I consider ethnic humor to be along the lines of black comedy (no pun intended).

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years

While One Piece is a masterpiece and Fairy Tail could pretty much be the most interesting long running shounen, long running is still long running, it gets boring after a while :/

Well yes, but that's not what I was addressing lol. I was saying that since Vanille Sky hadn't watch any of the latter at all, then how could they understand the hype or not? I didn't say anything about shows being long running or boring or anything.

Also, I thought of more! I thought Free! was really bad. I guess this is an unpopular opinion because I see it everywhere. :| I also really didn't like Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun or Kaichou wa Maid-sama, but they weren't as bad as Free!

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Here we go:

- Mirai Nikki, SAO, Infinite Stratos and Elfen Lied are among the worst anime I've seen. Like, at least Mirai Nikki is somewhat enjoyable so it is watchable. SAO is okay for a while but then it goes south...really fast. IS and Elfen Lied are just plain bad. Just...bad. Heard Elfen Lied manga is good, though. Will check that out.
- I think FT is highly overrated. As in, it is a popcorn shounen with plenty of asspulls and problems but is fun as long as you can overlook those problems. But it is nowhere near the "Great" show people consider it to be.
- I personally think the One Piece anime (NOT the manga), as of now, sucks (still have it as 10 on MAL cuz bias for manga lel). It suffers from bad pacing and animation. It was really, really great for the first few hundred episodes. Now...not so much. It desperately NEEDS filler arcs so that it doesn't need to have that ♥♥♥♥♥♥ 1-chapter/episode pacing.
- One Piece manga is in a different league when it comes to world building and loveable characters. It being mentioned in the same sentence as Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail irk me. I consider all three highly inferior in comparison to OP. :p
- Kill la Kill is one of the most enjoyable shows I've seen. Also, yes, I do think it has some themes incorporated in its narrative if you do look into it. It isn't just pointless fanservice with girls fighting using swords in skimpy clothing.
- Gintama anime, contrary to what most people initially think, is not pointless. It is great and probably the best anime I've seen. :p

EDIT: Moar
- Attack on Titan is probably the most overrated series EVER. It blew up for no reason. Granted, first few episodes WERE good but then it drops the ball fast. The manga is just dragging at this point and I haven't read it for months. Its just THAT uninteresting. :/
- Steins;Gate, with a 9+ rating on MAL, seems like a series quite a lot consider "really great". I don't think it deserves the hype, though. It is good, enjoyable and all but...not THAT good.

Last edited:

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
Does anyone share this opinion with me?
I love the one piece anime (I think anyone can tell), but it has way too many flashbacks of stuff we've already seen on the show. Not like flashbacks of stuff in the past, I mean flashbacks of one scene a few episodes ago. So annoying. And the "previously on one piece" kinda stuff at the beginning is way too long.
These things annoy me so much! But the rest is great.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
^ well, of course. The OP anime runs close to the manga. So, in order to not catch up AND not make filler arcs AND to not take breaks, the anime chooses to have bad pacing - a one chapter per episode pacing. SO, they need to stretch out things in order to fill in an episode's time. Filler scenes are put inside canon parts, the intro part is there for padding and they just drag some scenes to no end. Honestly, seeing the anime adaptation of my favorite manga in such a horrendous state saddens me. :(

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Does anyone share this opinion with me?
I love the one piece anime (I think anyone can tell), but it has way too many flashbacks of stuff we've already seen on the show. Not like flashbacks of stuff in the past, I mean flashbacks of one scene a few episodes ago. So annoying. And the "previously on one piece" kinda stuff at the beginning is way too long.
These things annoy me so much! But the rest is great.

How is this an unpopular opinion? Nobody liked recaps.

Back