• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starter ranking

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
My personal ranking of the main series starters. The pokemon within the tiers are not ranked, only the tiers are ranked, S is most favorite, A is very good, B is good, C is eh, D is least favorite. Espeon, Umbreon and Eevee are from Colosseum/XD: GoD games. Feel free to rank them if you want

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I don't know all of the starters yet having only played Gens 1-3 so far. So my list will need updating one day:

S - Charmander, Totodile
A - Cyndaquil, Squirtle
B - Pikachu
C - Torchic, Eevee
D - Mudkip, Treecko, Bulbasaur, Chikorita

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
S-tier:
Rowlet
Treecko

A-tier:
Cyndaquil
Torchic
Mudkip
Piplup

B-tier:
Totodile
Oshawott
Chespin
Litten
Popplio

C-tier:
Bulbasaur
Squirtle
Pikachu
Chikorita
Snivy
Tepig
Fennekin
Froakie

D-tier:
Charmander

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
This thread can go into tiering all the starters from the spinoffs, too, right? Because in that case, I want to include PMD starters, too.

S-tier: Treecko, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Oshawott, Chimchar, Eevee. Vulpix.

A-tier: Rowlet, Mudkip, Charmander, Pikachu, Espeon, Umbreon, Turtwig.

B-tier: Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Torchic, Popplio, Litten, Fennekin, Froakie, Skitty, Snivy, Machop, Cubone, Phanphy, Sninx.

C-tier: Chespin, Tepig, Meowth, Munchlax.

D-tier: Piplup, Riolu, Axew.

Years
Only going to go with the starters from the main series games since I wasn't much into the spinoffs, and my opinions of them might be slightly different as starters rather than just another regular Pokemon. I've also added a plus for those that are in-between tiers for me- they're slightly higher than those in that tier, but just not enough for the next one up.

S-tier
Treecko
Rowlet

A-tier
Squirtle
Piplup (+)
Oshawott
Chespin

B-tier
Charmander
Eevee (+)
Mudkip
Snivy
Litten

C-tier
Bulbasaur
Pikachu
Chikorita
Cyndaquil (+)
Totodile (+)
Torchic
Tepig
Fennekin
Froakie
Popplio

D-tier
Turtwig
Chimchar

Last edited:
Years
I will only be ranking them according to the main series as I feel that spin offs depart from the main series too much to be reasonably comparable.

S tier:
Turtwig,
Froakie,
Rowlet.

A tier:
Charmander,
Totodile,
Piplup,
Chimchar,
Bulbasaur.

B tier:
Snivy,
Treeko,
Totodile,
Cyndaquill,
Chikorita
Popplio,
Oshawott.

C tier:
Chespin,
Squirtle,
Chespin,
Fennekin,
Torchic,
Tepig,
Mudkip,
Pikachu

D tier:
Litten.

Last edited:
Years
Note that, in the cases of Pikachu, Eevee, Espeon, and Umbreon, their placements are based on how I feel about them as starters, not just as Pokémon in general.

S-Tier
  • Cyndaquil
  • Snivy
  • Popplio
  • Honōguma
A-Tier
  • Chikorita
  • Totodile
  • Treecko
  • Torchic
  • Oshawott
  • Fennekin
  • Kurusu
B-Tier
  • Bulbasaur
  • Charmander
  • Squirtle
  • Eevee
  • Mudkip
  • Tepig
  • Chespin
  • Froakie
  • Rowlet
C-Tier
  • Espeon
  • Umbreon
  • Litten
D-Tier
  • Pikachu, because it's already available super early in Kanto so having it as a starter feels like a waste.
  • Turtwig
  • Chimchar
  • Piplup

Last edited:
Back