• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 1] Davs's Generations Nuzlocke Challenge - Kanto

Years
  • Age 36
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Davs's Generations Nuzlocke Challenge - Kanto

Hi everyone! Reading through the Challenge Logs forum has lit a Poke-fire under me to start a challenge of my own and document it here for everyone to read. Hopefully it will bring some additional enjoyment to the community just as threads from other members have done so for me.

I?ve decided to go ahead with a series of Nuzlocke Challenges that will take me through every generation/region (Gen 6 for Hoenn) on my 3DS in preparation for Ultra Sun/Moon. I have never successfully completed a regular Nuzlocke and so my ruleset won?t be the most difficult thing anyone has seen on these forums but hopefully it will be just as fun as any other.

Posts will be constructed in a roleplay style and the Nuzlockes that I play irl will be constrained by the following rules. A big thanks to Alakazam17 and Knost for the inspiration and for the enjoyment I?ve had reading their awesome posts.

Nuzlocke Rules:

- All challenges begin when the player receives Pokeballs.
- Where multiple starters are available in a region, the starter will be determined using the Trainer Number method i.e. last digit of the Trainer Number 1-3 for the Grass-type, 4-6 Fire-type and 7-9 for the Water-type. 0 and then move to the next digit to the left and repeat.
- Only the first Pok?mon encountered in each area may be caught.
- All caught Pokemon shall be nicknamed (I?m never keen on this rule because the names I choose are awful).
- All Pok?mon that faint are considered dead and must be boxed immediately forever (exceptions for use of HM moves but Pokemon cannot be used in battle).
- Trading will be permitted for evolution.
- Static encounters/gift Pokemon are allowed but only if this is the first encounter in the area.
- No legendaries, or hacks will be permitted.
- Species clause will be in effect (i.e. encountering a Pokemon of the same evolutionary line of a previous-capture Pokemon are exempt from the first encounter rule).
- Shiny clause will be in effect (i.e. shiny Pokemon can be caught irrespective of the final encounter rule).
- Each game is completed when the final ?boss? is defeated.
- Do-Overs are allowed in the event of a black/white out ONLY if the entire team is wiped out in a single battle. This will allow the Challenge to be completed even if it is unsuccessful in the true sense of a Nuzlocke.
- Do-Overs shall be recorded and used to compare the success rating of each region played through.

And now? let battle commence with Pokemon Yellow Version in the Kanto region!

300px-HGSS_Kanto.png

Years
  • Age 36
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Chapter One - Pallet town to Viridian Forest

?Dammit, Crackle!? Davs yelled, flinging the Pikachu to the ground from where it had been riding on its Trainer?s shoulder. ?That hurts, ya l?il rat?

?Chu chu?? The electric mouse responded flippantly, turning up its nose and walking slowly down the path along Route 1. Davs grit his teeth and followed, rubbing the spot behind his ear where the static from his Pokemon partner had zapped him a moment before.

025.png

Crackle the Pikachu
Level 5​

A cooling breeze swirled around Trainer and Pokemon alike, bending every blade of long grass that surrounded the path towards the towering mountains to the north west. The Indigo Plateau sat somewhere atop those mountains and, one day, Davs was going to climb those steps and defeat the Elite Four to become Champion of the Kanto region.

?Hey, Crackle, wait!? Davs trotted after his Pokemon and reached down to pat it on the head. ?Sorry, I didn?t mean to yell.?

?Chu chu?? The Pikachu swatted his hand away and continued to strut along without a glance for its Trainer. Davs bit back another curse and continued with his teammate towards Viridian City.

It wasn?t long before the first challenge of the day presented itself on the middle of the path.

?Rattata!? The purple Pokemon announced itself loudly, baring its teeth angrily at Davs and his Pokemon. The trainer swept a hand through his hair and took up a fighting stance, Pokeball in hand.

?Let?s do it, Crackle! Use Thundershock!? Davs commanded with a dramatic gesture from his empty hand. His Pikachu turned and raised an eyebrow. Ya kidding me? was the expression that Davs was faced with. ?Ugh! Crackle!?

?RAAA!? The wild Pokemon lunged for Crackle who dodged it with a simple sidestep. Davs rolled his eyes.

?Fine, I?ll do it myself!? He hefted the Pokeball and launched it at the other mouse?s back. ?Go, Pokeball!? The orbs connected with a resounding ?clack? and the rat was sucked inside with a burst of red energy. The seal on the ball snapped shut and it rocked a couple of times before staying still.

?And THAT is how it?s done!? Davs laughed, scooping up his Pokeball that was still warm to the touch.

019.png

Squeak the Rattata
Level 3​

Viridian City had been the exciting place to go for any kid from Pallet Town with its amusement arcades and superior shopping opportunities but Davs hadn?t really paid much attention to the layout of the city before. He quickly found the Pokemon Center and Mart but the Gym appeared to be in a part of the city that he wasn?t familiar with. Not that he was ready to take on a Gym, of course. Even as a rookie Trainer Davs knew that he wouldn?t be winning any Gym battles without more Pokemon.

?C?mon, Crackle.? Davs called to his Pokemon who was investigating clump of daisies at the end of the path. ?Let?s catch some more friends and train in the Viridian Forest!?

Out on Route 22 Davs called Squeak to battle the Pokemon that he found there; a female Nidoran who barely noticed the Trainer approaching since she was so obessed with sniffing around in the grass at the edge of the road.

?RAAA!? Squeak roared, making his name ironically inappropriate, and slamming into the placid Pokemon from behind. The purple bunny yelped, tumbling end over end in the grass before she came to a halt. Squeak sped after it, racing in with another Tackle before Davs could issue a command.

Why don?t these things listen to me?!

?Pokeball, GO!? Davs threw the ball as hard as he could to make sure it got to the target before Squeak could. The poor Nidoran screamed as the ball smashed into her head and sucked her inside right before Squeak zipped through the space that she had been occupying.

029.png

Snuffle the Nidoran
Level 2​

Piiikaaa!? Crackle laughed hard, literally rolling around in hysterics on the ground. Filled with rage, Squeak threw himself at the Pikachu and missed yet again as the Electric-type rolled expertly out of the way.

?Just get back in the balls, you two.? Davs sighed, recalling both of his Pokemon and heading out to the north of the city onto Route 2.

*****​

?You can handle this one, Snuffle!? Davs urged his Nidoran who, for once, seemed to respect and obey him from the get-go. ?Just use your Tackle attack like we practiced and it?ll work out.?

?Do do.? Snuffle nodded her head and charged the bird Pokemon that had strayed across their path. She slammed it with her new-found confidence after training and weakened it right away. The Pidgey countered with a half-powered Gust as it struggled back to its feet which Snuffle braced into and took a minor hit.

?Nice job, Snuffle! Now it?s time for a Pokeball!?

016.png

Coo the Pidgey
Level 3​

End of Chapter One

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 36
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Spoiler:

Chapter Two - Viridian Forest

?This place is a bit creepy?? Davs muttered to the Pidgey riding on top of his head. Coo, his newest capture, literally cooed merrily to the Trainer as they picked their way along the roughly trodden path. The air was cool, almost chilly beneath the trees, and Davs found himself walking with both hands tucked deeply into the pockets of his navy blue hoodie.

?Creepy and crawling with Pokemon, it seems.? He halted in the path as a green worm slithered out of the grass ahead of them. ?Which means it is time for a Pokemon catch. Coo, let?s do it.?

010.png

Wriggly the Caterpie
Level 4​

?Well, that wasn?t very hard.? Davs sighed as he retrieved the Pokeball and spared a moment to pet Coo on the head for a job well done. ?I guess this thing is pretty weak??

?You there! Trainer!? A kid?s voice sounded from somewhere in the undergrowth, soon followed by a young face shaded by a wide-brimmed hat. ?Are you coming from Viridian City??

?Ugh, sure.? Davs responded, putting his Pokeball containing the Caterpie away. ?Just doing some training before taking on the Gym.?

?Oh? The Gym in Viridian? That?s been closed a while now ? who knows how long you?d be waiting for it to re-open. You might as well push on to Pewter City and challenge the Gym Leader there, instead.? The newcomer went on, stepping clear of the bushes to reveal that he was holding a long-handled net. ?I?m Rick ? I come from the City myself and haven?t seen anyone challenge that Gym for months.?

?Thanks for the tip.? Davs smiled and signalled to Coo for the Pidgey to reassume its riding position on top of his head. ?I guess we'll get going then.?

?Not so fast!? The kid ran into Davs?s path blocking him from going any further. ?If you?re a Trainer then you have a Pokemon. C?mon! Let?s battle ?em!?

Finding himself forced into the first Pokemon battle with another Trainer since leaving the Lab in Pallet Town, Davs immediately sent out his most reliable Pokemon to the fore in the shape of Snuffle the Nidoran. His opponent sent out a grubby looking Weedle and after seeing each other up for a moment the two Pokemon pounced upon each other in a flurry of claws and stingers.

?Weedle, come back!? Rick switched out his defeated bug to replace it with another that Davs found quite familiar. ?Now it?s time for Caterpie!?

This one?s in the bag. Davs inwardly chuckled as Snuffle charged at her second target. In a flash, the Caterpie was charging back in a head-on Tackle. Snuffle gave a squeak of alarm at the impact, obviously startled at the power from the small creature. Davs blinked. This Caterpie was certainly stronger than the one he had just caught ? maybe spending some time training it would pay off in the end?

?That bug?s pretty good but Snuffle?s still stronger. Right, Snuff??

?Do do!? Snuffle agreed, charging the Caterpie down and nailing it into the ground with another Tackle. Rick gasped as the bug was crushed on the spot and left still where it fell.

*****​

?Now, Wriggly,? Davs crouched next his new Pokemon as Crackle took up arms against a wild Pidgey, ?watch how Crackle and Squeak battle and see when the time is right to dodge or attack. You?re not ready for a real battle yet but you?ll learn a lot by observing.?

The bug waggled its antennae happily and focused its attention onto his teammate.

Thundershock. Thundershock. Growl. Thundershock. Over and over, Crackle defeated wild bird Pokemon while Squeak stepped in whenever a Bug-type emerged from the foliage. All the while, Wriggly watched and grew in confidence, getting more powerful as experienced was gained from exposure to each and every fight along the way.

?There?s another, get it, Crackle!? Davs urged his Pikachu into battle once more against a Pidgey. ?Try a-?

?Geo, geo, geoh!? The Pidgey kicked up a powerful Gust that swept the Pikachu up into the air where it hit branch after branch on its ascent through the cyclone. Davs?s Pokemon screamed in pain as it was tossed upwards at an alarming rate.

A critical hit?!

?Crackle, Thundershock!? Electricity zapped through the air and met its mark on the wild bird but that wasn?t enough to take it down. ?And then another!?

The Pikachu landed on the ground, finding all fours immediately and fired off another bolt of lightning that missed its mark and instead left a scorch mark on the ground where the Pidgey had been a moment before. This bird was fast and stronger than the others that they had seen in the forest but surely Crackle could finish of a simple Pidgey?

?Piii-GEOH!? Aother Gust attack came swirling in from Crackle?s side, picking it up from the ground once more and catapulting it at frightening speed towards a thick oak tree. With a resounding THWACK Crackle hit the bark head-first and tumbled to the ground in an unceremonious heap.

Squeak broke into raucous laughter, his teeth getting in the way of most of the sound but it was still clear that his was getting enjoyment from his teammate?s struggle.

?Think you can do better?!? Davs rounded on the Rattata, ?finish it off then.?

With a roar, Squeak dove back into battle and put an end to the fat Pidgey. Wriggly clapped its antennae on the ground eagerly, gleeful that the match was won. Delighted little chirps and squeals erupted from the small bug, rising in pitch and intensity until the bug?s body began to shine.

011.png

Wriggly evolved into Metapod
Level 7​

When it was all over, Davs crossed the small clearing to the spot where his Pikachu lay and turned it over.

?Wakey wakey eggs and ba-? Davs stopped. Crackle wasn?t moving. No breath rose and fell in the Pokemon?s chest. No static hummed off of his normally charged fur. No light shone behind those sardonic eyes.

Crackle was dead.

025.png

Crackle the level 9 Pikachu died to double critical hits from a level 8 Pidgey.​

End of Chapter Two

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018
Ugh...I really liked Crackle. One of the best nicknames for a Pikachu I've heard. Good job writing this one.

Good luck as you continue your journey!

Years
  • Age 36
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Chapter Three ? Pewter City and the Boulder Badge

With the loss of Crackle fresh in his mind, Davs almost let the training of his Pokemon drift by through the numbness of his guilt. If he only he had used a Potion sooner? If only he?d have had the sense to run away? There were so many signs that should have told him that the battle wasn?t going right and yet? Crackle was dead? But everyone was still OK. Everyone could still go on and fight to achieve the dream of becoming Chapmion? So Crackle was just more inspiration to work harder, right?

?Do do!? Snuffle called from the centre of the forest clearing where she had just defeated another Caterpie. Wriggly the Metapod watched on in awe, taking in every second of the battle that it was exposed to and gleefully buzzing with excitement.

Davs blinked as he took in the scene of Snuffle?s most recent victory and the green cocoon Pokemon began to shine brightly?

012.png

Wriggly evolved into Butterfree
Level 10

*****​

?So this is it?? Davs drew in a deep breath outside the doors of the Pewter City Gym, calming his nerves and stilling his excitement. ?Our Gym debut? are we even ready for this??

He pushed open the doors and a rush of cool air raced outwards carrying the scent of damp dirt, like a cave. The interior was brightly lit but really did look like a cave; boulders and rocks were strewn across the battlefield that took up the majority of the building. A figure stood waiting at the other end of the battlefield, watching the trainer enter with a relaxed smile on his face.

?So you?re here. I?m Brock ? Pewter City?s Gym Leader.? The man at the other end of the field announced himself clearly and confidently, raising a Pokeball to meet the challenger. ?My rock-hard power is evident even in my Pokemon. My Pokemon are all rock-hard, and have true-grit determination. That?s right, all of my Pokemon are the Rock type. Fuhahaha! You?re going to challenge me knowing that you?ll lose? That?s the trainer?s honor that compels you to challenge me. Fine then! Show me your best!?

Davs gulped. Man, was this guy sure of himself!

?Geodude, go!? Brock released a head with two arms that was quite obviously made of stone. Davs threw a Pokeball of his own.

?I choose you, Snuffle!?

?A Poison type? You?ll have to know your match ups better than that if you want to beat me.? Brock snorted.

?We?ll be just fine! Suffle, give ?em a Double Kick!? Davs ordered his Pokemon to deliver a well-aimed smack to the Geodude?s face that sent it hurtling into the far wall. It slid to the ground in a destroyed heap of rubble.

?Nnngh, Geodude return.? Brock narrowed his eyes (!) at the challenger and selected another Pokeball. ?OK, so you might know a little about the weaknesses of a Rock-type but that doesn?t mean you can overcome the massive defensive power of Onix! Go!?

?Another Double Kick, Snuffle!?
?Bide!?

Wait what? Did Brock just call out the order for Bide? Davs instantly regretted his choice of move as Snuffle slammed home another powerful Double Kick. The Onix roared in pain as the attack sent cracks through its stone body but it remained upright all the same.

?You can finish it, Snuffle!? Davs urged, knowing that it was make-or-break with the next move. ?Give it another!?

?Big mistake!? Brock laughed back. ?Take it, Onix!?

The Nidoran hit home her attack once more, the Onix clearly being driven to its limit with the last hit as it slowly struggled to rise. However, the rock snake wasn?t down and it was going to release the stored energy at the next opportunity. Davs gulped. Snuffle was his most powerful Pokemon but there was no way that she could take the damage from Bide and survive?

?Snuffle, return!? Davs drew back his Nidoran at the last minute and threw out another Pokeball instead. ?Go, Squeak!?

?Now, Onix!? An instense white light surged out of the Rock Pokemon?s body and swept up the tiny rat Pokemon that had been sent out to face it. The blast carried Squeak into the far wall, decimating his hit points and causing an almighty explosion at the side of the Gym. Davs didn?t need to wait for the dust to clear to know that his Pokemon was dead.

019.png

Squeak the level 10 Rattata died to Bide from Brock?s Onix.​

?C?mon, Snuffle!? Davs sent out his Nidoran once more. She still looked fresh but her attention was drawn to the lifeless body at the side of the room. ?We?ll have time to mourn later, Snuffle! Just finish this match now!?

?Do do!? The placid Nidoran lowered her head and charged back across the battlefield?

*****​

?Congratulations on your win.? Brock handed Davs a shiny grey pin. ?You clearly were more prepared for our battle than I assumed. This is the Boulder Badge. One of eight badges in the Kanto region, you should collect all of them to become a challenger at the Indigo Plateau.?

?Thanks,? Davs accepted the badge graciously and pinned it to the strap of his shoulder-satchel, ?this battle taught me a lot.? He cast an eye over the dead Rattata at the side of the room. ?You?ll send someone to clean that up, right??

Squeak?s death is just more inspiration? just like Crackle... right?

End of Chapter Three

Spoiler:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
This is looking very good so far, and I love your taste in nicknames. It's too bad that you've lost two Pok?mon so early on though...hopefully you can get something interesting on Routes 3, 4, and/or Mt. Moon to make up for it.

Also thanks for your kind words about my own journey in your opening post. It's nice to know that I've helped to inspire you to make one of these yourself. ^_^

Back