• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time info

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
=D

Lots of work done. Learned a few more commands, and I'm starting to understand the entire structure of script files. It's pretty interesting. I'll have to create documentation of what I know, but that will come at a later date.

Stuff to do:

• Figure out more about .SSA, .SSE, and .SSS files
  • understand structure of a few more Sky commands
  • and a lot more.

droomph

weeb
Years
Also, I have to ask...

Why does the "story" scripts seem to react to change, while the "overworld" (the ones you have to voluntarily activate) doesn't seem to change when you change something?

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
Also, I have to ask...

Why does the "story" scripts seem to react to change, while the "overworld" (the ones you have to voluntarily activate) doesn't seem to change when you change something?
If you mean the UMXX anf/or USXX files, I haven't tested them... but I do know that there are a lot of repeats in those files. So it could be running from one of the 'repeats' that you didn't happen to change.

I don't fully understand the talking to people just yet, so I'm not sure. If you meant the enter events, however, then I haven't a clue why.

droomph

weeb
Years
I've checked. And nope, they're all .ssb files. No matter what, they won't change - and surprisingly enough, only one copy of the file exists so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

For example, if I change Ledyba's script, it does nothing at all to affect the game, but when I changed the Beach Cave events, it changes.

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
I've checked. And nope, they're all .ssb files. No matter what, they won't change - and surprisingly enough, only one copy of the file exists so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

For example, if I change Ledyba's script, it does nothing at all to affect the game, but when I changed the Beach Cave events, it changes.
Exactly as I predicted, then =) And, exactly what I said in the previous post.

"If you mean the UMXX anf/or USXX files, I haven't tested them... but I do know that there are a lot of repeats in those files. So it could be running from one of the 'repeats' that you didn't happen to change."

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
Is this still being worked on?
Yes, it is. My explanation is on
my last post in the tools thread, but a summarized version Ill put here. I haven't been able to work on this at all lately, because of school and all that. I'm a master student of Computer Science now, and so my time is severely limited. But, I WILL be continuing to work on this, especially over this weekend, because I have fall break =D

VERGUNDAI

RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker
Years
My progress...,
- Just starting a program on editing the OW sprites
and it's not editable yet because some sprites don't have correct pallete offsets...

If anyone find sprite pallette offsets pm me /but I might find it soon..

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
She's focusing on doing the scripts first, so we're more than glad that you're willing to look into it!

She? I'm no she. =P

My progress...,
- Just starting a program on editing the OW sprites
and it's not editable yet because some sprites don't have correct pallete offsets...

If anyone find sprite pallette offsets pm me /but I might find it soon..
I'm not sure about palettes, but I do know a bit about how the SIR0 files (in the BIN files) are organized.

All of the images of each Pokemon are in their own SIR0 file, and there are 593 of those. (The bin file is just a collection of those SIR0 files.

Format of the images are in 8x8 blocks, 4 bits per pixel.
How the image is laid out is shown right after the pixels. I do not know where the palette data is stored, though.

Outline:
Spoiler:

More notes on how Data is arranged:
Spoiler:

I also looked a little into the format, and noticed the near end of file's offsets, -(0xF7), give you the correct offsets to the pictures. But that's all I know, and that's also as far as I'll look into it for now =) If someone wants to figure it out from there, be my guest. =D

Edit: I may as well mention, the sprites for the Pokémon are in m_ground.bin, in the MONSTER folder
, if you unpacked the ROM. And I only know the offsets are true for the Bulbasaur file. It may or may not be the same for the others.

Last edited:

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
Wanted to give a small little update! I'm still here, and still working on this project, but I've come to sort of a standstill. I think I officially know all that can be known without understanding the inner workings of the game. How it changes scripts, what it puts on the stack, that kind of stuff. What I really need is someone who is really good at looking at the internals of a game and understanding how it works. I know a little of ASM, but I have no real debugger of sorts. DS games are harder to debug, after all. I might use other emulators than No$GBA, but it's fastest on my compy, and debugging would go real slowly on other emulators. We'll see.

Another new piece of news, is I was able to contact Sebbe! I thought I emailed him yesterday, but apparently I didn't and I'll have to remake it. Oh well. I'll do that today, then. Either way, that means I may get much more info on Blue and Red Rescue Team! I'm getting excited already =P

All that said, updates will be much less frequent until summer. I'll still work on it a little each day if I can, but don't expect a beta anytime soon. I have ideas on how I can continue, and it all starts with understanding actions. =) So I'll work on understanding those next. So, until next time, I'm out! =D

Back