• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Battle Strategies: Absol, Snorlax and Milotic.

Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2012
Welcome to the second Pokemon Battle Strategies Featuring:

Absol: The Disaster Pokemon!
Snorlax: The Sleeping Pokemon!
Milotic: The Tender Pokemon!

This is not only for inexperienced / new battlers!. Even seasoned Veterans may pick up new tips from this. Anyways, here's the first pokemon!

First up, Absol!

Base Stats
65 Hp
130 Atk
60 Def
75 SAtk
60 SDef
75 Spd

Blue: Excellent (125+)
Green: Good (100 - 120)
Orange: Average (70 - 95)
Red: Below Average (65 and Below)

Absol is in a difficult position. It was built as a physical sweeper but lacks the speed to get the job done. Although Absol is out classed at times, he can definitely be a threat in the NU/UU Teirs.

As a Physical Sweeper

Critical Hitter
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Stone Edge
-Swords Dance
Item Attached: Scope Lens / Razor Claw
Ability: Super Luck
Ev's and Nature 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
Hasty Nature (+ Spd, -Def) / Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

This is the oldest but most effective Absol. Super Luck (Raises Critical Hit one stage), Scope Lens or Razor claw (Raises crit-hit to 25%) and already high critical hit percentage moves, your Absol will be a force to be reckoned with. You can choose between natures simply if you prefer hitting strong or hitting first.
This is very simple and I suggest it to beginners simply because little to no effort is involved.

Next, Snorlax!

Base Stats
160 Hp
110 Atk
65 Def
65 SAtk
110 SDef
30 Spd

Snorlax is an classic, a god. Out of all the times I've used him, he's honestly never failed me. Since my competitive battling days are over, I decided to pass my secrets on to you ;)

As a Physical Sweeper

Samelax
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Earthquake /
-Return
Attached Item: Leftovers/ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Ev's and Nature: 252 Atk / 252 Hp / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature

This Snorlax has been the same since the 3rd Generation and still holds up to this day. Not very much to explain, spam Return, use EarthQuake for anything that resists normal (Beware Gengar) and use rest when low on health. Nothing new.

PunchLax
-Fire Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Ice Punch
-Mega Punch
Ev's and Nature: 252 Atk / (252 Hp or Spd) / (4 Spd or Hp)
Adamant Nature (+Atk , -SAtk)

Before you go saying "OMG Primape and Hitmonchan dos ths better!!!11!1!!!1Eleven" I can assure you that you are wrong. Both Hitmonchan and Primeape's max attack, even with beneficial nature and max Ev's is 339. Snorlax's is 150. Plus he gets STAB with Mega Punch. Not to say that Hitmonchan or Primape aren't good, Iron Fist (Raises punching move's power by 20%[Only Hitmonchan]) and their obviously higher speed may come in handy, but Snorlax can take a hit. Which is immensely helpful. Iron fist also doesn't make much of a difference because of Snorlax's superior attack stat.

Last but not least, Milotic!

Base Stats
95 Hp
60 Atk
79 Def
100 SAtk
125 SDef
81 Spd

Ah Milotic. The very first time I saw it, I knew I would have to have it on my team. Coming up with a good moveset for it was the difficult part. Baton Passer? No. Sweeper? No. Wall? Maybe, but no. So then where could Milotic fit in on my team?

Toxic Staller

Finally found a good one!
-Toxic
-Recover
-Protect / SafeGuard / Light Screen... The options go on... and on... and on..
-Mirror Coat / Surf
Item Attached: Leftovers
Ability: Marvelous Scale
Ev's and Nature: 252 Hp / (252 SDef if using Mirror Coat or 252 SAtk if using Surf) / 4 Spd
Modest Nature if using Surf (+SAtk, -Atk), Calm Nature if using Mirror Coat (+.

That's right. A Toxic Staller. Obviously use Toxic at the beginning of the round. (BEWARE OF STEEL TYPES) Recover is an excellent recovery move similar to Soft Boiled which replenishes 50% of health in one turn, no strings attached. Protect, SafeGuard and so on are just supporting moves. (I recommend Light Screen if using Mirror Coat). I highly recommend Mirror Coat (Does double the damage of any SAtk used on Milotic) since Grass and Electric types are most likely to be carrying special based moves. That way, you can at least benefit off of their attacks. Surf is an alternative to ensure damage without the need of prediction skills. Either one you pick is fine, considering the main goal here is to toxic stall.

Post any Variations / Questions / Criticism / Comments you have!

Years
PunchLax
-Fire Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Ice Punch
-Mega Punch
Ev's and Nature: 252 Atk / (252 Hp or Spd) / (4 Spd or Hp)
Adamant Nature (+Atk , -SAtk)
Umm... What? Why would Snorlax ever get Spd EV's? It's speed is already hopeless, so it should be invested into Sp.Def/Def. I recommend just 252 Atk and 252 HP and 4 Def. That's all I got for now.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Absol needs Superpower more than it needs Stone Edge because that set you have is completely stopped by Steel Pokemon. It could also use Sucker Punch over Night Slash or Psycho Cut because of its average Speed. That's just me, but it could be for the more experienced players.

As for Snorlax's second set: sure, using all 3 elemental punches + STAB provides good coverage, but there are some Pokemon who take pitiful damage against all 4 moves, like Slowbro (who still is hit hard by ThunderPunch, a move rarely seen on Snorlax due to the lack of coverage it provides) and Eviolite Dusclops. This set has the coverage to deal with UU's threats:

-Return/Body Slam (more reliable than Mega Punch; the latter also has a chance of paralysis and both moves are easier to get than Mega Punch)
-Fire Punch (for Escavalier, Ferroseed and bulky Grass Pokemon)/Crunch (for Psychics and Ghosts)
-Earthquake (for Steels not hit hard by Fire Punch)/Crunch
-Pursuit (for hitting switching opponents)
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/40 Def/176 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Choice Band

You also forgot about Curselax, though it's becoming less used due to the power increase between generations:
-Curse
-Return/Body Slam
-Fire Punch/Earthquake/Crunch
-Rest/Crunch
Nature: Careful
EVs: 188 HP/104 Def/216 SDef
Item: Leftovers
(this Snorlax is meant to sweep late-game when all its counters are gone)

Milotic is all right, but I'd prefer to use Scald over Surf because of the burn chance. I'd also use Bold so it can take physical hits easily; even if there are few EVs in its Special Defense, it still takes special hits easily. This is the Milotic set I use:
-Scald
-Recover
-Toxic/Haze/Dragon Tail (I normally use the former attack)
-Ice Beam (for extra coverage)
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Umm... What? Why would Snorlax ever get Spd EV's? It's speed is already hopeless, so it should be invested into Sp.Def/Def. I recommend just 252 Atk and 252 HP and 4 Def. That's all I got for now.

Spd means special defense, spe means speed.

Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2012
@Platnum Dude,

You're missing the point. I tried to make a moveset and strategy AROUND punching. If you replace all of the punches... it's no longer an Elemental Punching Snorlax. And the whole point of that Absol is to make up for his lackluster attack stat with a high critical hit ratio. You're basically making entirely new strategies.

Back