• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Sun and Moon Typing Speculation

smocks

fiat lux
Years
I personally think the Sun legendary is going to be a pure fire-type and the Moon Legendary is going to be a Psychic-Flying type (from coloring & low-key looks like Olympia worships this legendary cause like kinda look the same and she's the Psychic gym-leader so it's a possibility)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I think that Lunaala will be Psychic/Dark with Levitate, or a new version of Levitate. While Solgaleo will be Fire/Fairy or Fire/Steel, maybe even Fire/Electric.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
Years
Oh, we're talking about the Legendaries? >•<

In that case... I think the lion is gonna be Fire/Fairy, and the bat is gonna be Ice/Fairy. I kinda like the idea of an Ice bat for some reason... but I chose Ice because I think of cold when I think of the moon, as it's the opposite of the sun.

Years
The mascot legendaries never seem to have the types you expect. We thought Reshiram and Zekrom were going to be all sorts of types, but not Fire/Dragon and Electric/Dragon.

This time... I'm gonna go with Fire/Grass for Solgaleo. The mane has a kind of flower design. With Lunaala... I dunno. The moon has Psychic-, Dark-, and Fairy-type associations, but that's too obvious. The moon is a rock and cold, so Rock- and Ice-types could work, but... how about Steel/Flying? The edges of the wings have a metallic look to them. It's a shot in the dark, but hey, as good as any other guess.

blue

gucci
Years
It's quite hard to say for the legendary mascots considering we've been mislead in past generations. Lunaala I'm going to say Dark/Flying and then Solgaleo could be Fire/Psychic?

Years
It's quite hard to say for the legendary mascots considering we've been mislead in past generations. Lunaala I'm going to say Dark/Flying and then Solgaleo could be Fire/Psychic?

I have seen some theory videos behind the possible types for the legendaries, and after taking into consideration how much the moon is associated with Fairy-type I could see Lunaala being a Fairy/Flying-type.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
I really really really don't want Lunaala to be Dark/Flying type (I see that as the highest likely). It'll be just an Yveltal rip-off.

As for Solgaleo, it is almost certain a Fire type (shocked if it isn't), and I don't see any secondary typing so I'm going with just pure Fire

Years
I really really really don't want Lunaala to be Dark/Flying type (I see that as the highest likely). It'll be just an Yveltal rip-off.

As for Solgaleo, it is almost certain a Fire type (shocked if it isn't), and I don't see any secondary typing so I'm going with just pure Fire

I'm sure we won't get another Dark/Flying legendary so soon after Yveltal, but I did watch Verlisify's video where he speculates what Solgaleo and Lunaala's types may be, and he believes Dark may not be the best type for Lunaala as most believe, especially when you consider what the Dark-type is mainly based around along with the fact the moon seems to be associated more with the Fairy-type lately.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
OK so after some closer revision on the legendaries, I think these are the types:
Solgaleo Fire/Fighting
Lunaala Ghost/Flying

Solgaleo's design reminds me of the Musketeer trio. Plus Solgaleo's overall body just looks very muscular.
Lunaala is clearly flying and using its wings, so Flying type is almost certain to me, the Ghost typing because it looks very eerie to me. Also in certain mythologies and cultures, the moon is associated with dead (i.e. Greek mythology).

Pretty Wing

きれいなハネ
Years
I could see Solgaleo being a Fire/Steel type, but the Steel theory is mostly based off the fact it's mane looks rather stationary based on Sun's cover art, as opposed to a flowing, furry mane. I'd like to say Lunaala will be a Dark/Fairy typing, but it's a bit more ambiguous altogether. I wouldn't like for it to be Dark/Flying or Psychic/Fairy for example. Dark/Psychic is something I could agree with!

Last edited:

Years
Why are people thinking Lunaala would be Dark/Flying? It looks nothing really like your traditional dark type...not much, anyway. oo;

Zekrom at first didn't look like one's traditional electric type, at least not to me. So Lunaala might be similar, well actually Lunaala looks more like a Dark type than Zekrom does an electric type xD.

It's interesting how two of Lunaala's possible combinations have already been done for Mascots. Those typings being those of Lugia and Yvetal. Actually perhaps Hikamaru is right, Lunaala might be a Fairy type. I say this as when one thinks of moon the types associated with it have been Psychic, Dark, and Fairy. A Fairy/Flying would be more interesting than the others. That or it's Fairy/Dark or Fairy/Psychic with levitate or a new variant of the ability (like RZ's variants on mold breaker).

I hope that Solgaleo is a dual type, but I feel it might actually be our first pure fire mascot. Speaking of fire mascots, we shouldn't discard Lunaala as Dark/Flying. Ho-oh got the same exact typing as fellow mascot Charizard... Actually even worse, we got three pure water mascots in a row (and a dual type water in Palkia the following Gen, damn and people complaining about Fire/Fighting and part Fighting starters in general now, but the mascots did it before) generation wise...

Years
I guess...idk if you want to count Zekrom's tail as an ever vague indicator if its type. But idk, Lunaala always struck me as more of a Fairy/Flying mystical Pokemon than Dark. :x
The tail was one of the hints the Electric squad used, but Zekrom as an Electric type gained more prominence after the Pokémon variety show host Shoko tweeted about Zekrom being her favorite Pokémon or something along those lines. Electric is known to be her favorite type.

You know what, looking at Lunaala again, I'm starting to think it might be an Ice type. The white on it's body reminds me of ice. Also the moon cover has what looks like an aurora emanating from the moon. Though most legendries associated with the move Aurora beam happen to be psychic types...
Psychic/Ice? Ice/Flying. Psychic/Flying?

Plus I kind of associate the moon with ice in part due to it's connection to water. Hmm, might we be getting another Fire, Ice, Electric legendary trio?

Of interest is the order for them in the Pokedex if so.
Ice, Electric, Fire- Bird trio
Fire, Electric, Ice- Tao trio
Fire, Ice, Electric- Celestial body trio (possible trio, and if they follow the dex order like the Mortality trio did).
Note that Ice will be all over the place, while Electric would be the 2nd twice, and Fire the first twice.

AceTheHanyou

ShakeTheHanyou
Years
My guess is that Lunaala will be either a dark/ice, ice/fairy, or surprise surprise our first DARK/FAIRY type. And Solgaleo will be a fire/ground (boring), Fire/fairy, or a fire/ new type to combat fairy.

Years
Zekrom at first didn't look like one's traditional electric type, at least not to me. So Lunaala might be similar, well actually Lunaala looks more like a Dark type than Zekrom does an electric type xD.

It's interesting how two of Lunaala's possible combinations have already been done for Mascots. Those typings being those of Lugia and Yvetal. Actually perhaps Hikamaru is right, Lunaala might be a Fairy type. I say this as when one thinks of moon the types associated with it have been Psychic, Dark, and Fairy. A Fairy/Flying would be more interesting than the others. That or it's Fairy/Dark or Fairy/Psychic with levitate or a new variant of the ability (like RZ's variants on mold breaker).

I hope that Solgaleo is a dual type, but I feel it might actually be our first pure fire mascot. Speaking of fire mascots, we shouldn't discard Lunaala as Dark/Flying. Ho-oh got the same exact typing as fellow mascot Charizard... Actually even worse, we got three pure water mascots in a row (and a dual type water in Palkia the following Gen, damn and people complaining about Fire/Fighting and part Fighting starters in general now, but the mascots did it before) generation wise...

I did recall four straight generations with Water-type mascots, and we had two Fire/Flying mascots like you said, so even if Lunaala is another Dark/Flying it's just something we have to get used to, that types had been repeated for version mascots before. Even if Lunaala is a Fairy-type, and we already had a Fairy-type version mascot in Xerneas, there's the likelihood of Lunaala being dual-typed but granted Fairy is still relatively new so it wouldn't be bad to see more Fairy-types this generation, even if some are legendaries.

Years
I did recall four straight generations with Water-type mascots, and we had two Fire/Flying mascots like you said, so even if Lunaala is another Dark/Flying it's just something we have to get used to, that types had been repeated for version mascots before. Even if Lunaala is a Fairy-type, and we already had a Fairy-type version mascot in Xerneas, there's the likelihood of Lunaala being dual-typed but granted Fairy is still relatively new so it wouldn't be bad to see more Fairy-types this generation, even if some are legendaries.
Irc we got three Gen 6 families of the Fairy type. And another two were legendary.I can't beleive I forgot to mention the Dragon mascots from Rayquaza up to White Kyurem... Now people complained about that one. One of the good things of skipping Z was no more Dragon mascots... just watch and see Lunaala be part Dragon now...

Anyways my bet is on Lunaala being part ice. It's signature move (at least it's assumed to be) looks kind of icy. Lunaala would be our second, well third counting the Kyurems seperately, ice mascot if so.

Back