• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Pixel Art Discussion Thread

Nimblethumbs

my name would look hot in bold
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
At school when I mostly scratch I use the XP Paint (Since thats all it has)

At home, when I fuse, I mostly use win 7 paint, I gotten used to it. Its not too bad, I just dont use all that fancy stuff as the drawing stuff?
When I inset tiles I used both.

The only thing win 7 can change is the index thing xp had? and right click the other set color.

Whoa, you sprite at school? If I even open up paint at school, my teachers will give me a detention.

Friends had experience.

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2011
I'm mostly using Paint, it's great program for spriting. Sometimes I use Paint.Net, mostly to add transparency.

I have question - what's difference between Splice and Fusion?

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Fusing, splicing and "Frankensteining" are all umbrella terms for making sprites out of parts from existing sprites, but they also carry different connotations. While any of them can be used to refer to any combination of sprite parts, each technically has its own meaning. Don't worry, most people use the terms interchangeably enough that only a handful use them "correctly" these days. As they were originally used, the terms are as follows:

Fusion: A roughly equal mix of two (largely unedited) sprites, such as a Gardevoir with a Koffing in place of its head. Also known as a Hybrid. In the last two years or so, Fusion has come to mean two Pokemon combined into one, like Skitty given Turtwig's palette and shell. Apparently Dragon Ball Z is involved somehow.

Splice: Two or more sprites nicely integrated, such as a Lucario with Mewtwo's belly and tail, Dialga's chest jewel thing, and Palkia's wings. May be recolored.

Frankenstein: Multiple parts combined to create an original creature, usually with edited and recolored parts to hide their origin. Also known as an Amalgamon.

Last edited:

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
RE: The outlining discussion -
I usually do all of my outlines in the default paint colours, recolour them all to black, add basic colouring, add details like eyes and such, and then shade.

Years
Thread save!
Why would you need to use the default colours if the step right after that is to recolour all of them to black? :c

Dark Symphonia

GENERATION V!
Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2012
Question: How long do you take to do a recolor?

I have started spriting for leisure some time ago and it took me a while to get to the hang of spriting. So I want to ask you guys: how long do you ususally take to do a recolor and what do you do to do a recolor quickly?

marcc5m

what
Years
Thread save!
Why would you need to use the default colours if the step right after that is to recolour all of them to black? :c

Idk, it just seems to make it seem a lot easier to sprite each limb in a different colour, before putting them all together.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
oh my god is she still doing this doesn't she realize advertising is against the rules and that nobody cares about her silly spriting livestream

...Yeah, well, anyway! Offtopic posts abound because there is another pocket spriter coming up, and I haven't been told off for posting here before so I see no reason to stop. And I know that at least one of you is going to notice and maybe show up, and in that case, mission accomplished.

Anyway.

Pocket Spriter #8: Pokemon Black and Sprite! Now with worse puns!

We return to the scene of the crime with intrepid reporterspriters Zephyr+/Involuntary Twitch and Seika! It's a grisly scene: Pokemon fans and wanna be spriters alike, sprawled in uncomfortable positions, their fingers still clenched around their Nintendo DSes where, only an hour or so ago, the sheer elation of finally being able to play Pokemon Black and White caused massive cranial hemorrhaging. It's quite a shame, really, but who cares it's time for Pocket Spriter!!!

Coinciding with the North American release date of Pokemon B/W, we bring you the latest installment of the Pocket Spriter livestream! As usual, we will be talking at great length about the do's and dont's of fakemon spriting, while entertaining viewer suggestions, answering questions, and inviting anyone who has Skype to join in! It's going to be at 5:00PM EST on Sunday, March 6th, so grab your DS and let's gooooooo!

Panels are as follows (EDIT: due to unforeseen circumstances, we will be switching the times of the panels, so Seika will be going from 5-7:30 and Twitch will be going from 7:30-happy hour.) :

Hosted by Seika: 5:00-7:30
Make it move!: We take a look at how to animate fakemon like in B/W!
Fakedex Primer: What goes into a fakedex? How do you ensure balance and diversity? We'll make several linearts and flat-colored sprites in this block!

Hosted by Twitch: 7:30-10:00 & Happy Hour
15 years of style: We look back on how Pokemon sprite style has changed over the years, and sprite something in B/W style!
Beekeeping tips: Another one of our _____ tips panels; this time, we'll bee looking at the diverse and very awesome bug type!
Sprite critique: A recurring favorite; we'll take a look at viewer submitted sprites and suggest improvements.
Happy Hour: par-tayyyyy (or go to bed early because tomorrow's Monday, after all)

As always, the link to the stream is here: http://www.livestream.com/pocketspriter! Make sure to drop by (you don't need to register for anything), and tell your friends!

Last edited:

TheMysteryEgg

Pokemon Breeder and Fuzer
Years
Is it okay to get a pokemon sprite and then edit off it or should make it from scratch?
Are you supposed to only showcase scratch sprites?

Years
You don't ONLY have to showcase scratch sprites, you can post a couple of them in your thread including your fusions, devamps, etc.

Pikachewy

Should be doing homework atm.
Years
Any good Spriting programs? XD

Hi everyone, I wanted to make a start on making Pokemon emoticons (sprites) but don't know where to start. ^^'

Any suggestions on what program/tool I sould use?

Thanks! X3

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
I personally use MS Paint and Photoshop but mostly paint. Since your just starting I suggest you use Paint - It's where I started and where a lot of people start as well

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
To be honest it's not hard to edit Pixels if you were editing or making sprites. If you were editing a big picture which has a variety of pixels then it would be a bit harder

Back