• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An idea!

Muse

'The Underdog Trainer'
Years
So I was driving home today, thinking about how 'everybody dislikes/hates/loathes OT fanfictions that follow the game plot too closely' when all of a sudden I get this random idea!

What if people in the game could interact with the person playing the game? Like...Blue from Pokemon Blue talking to the person playing the game and everything!

Yeah! I just thought this idea was really cool and was wondering if anyone had any ideas to toss in. I can't seem to work on only one fanfic at once, so... The only idea I've had for it was how it would work. Like...there's a new gadget for the Gameboy that reprograms it into being super-duper interactive and voice activated and stuff.

So, feel free to toss in an idea or two! ^^'

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
I've seen a few fics like this, with the whole 'character talks to the author' sort of thing and it does not work in fanfic as well as it does in say, a game or comic book.

The old She-Hulk comic use to talk to the author and the reader often, it was really funny, but it would take alot of work to pull such a plot off in written form only...

And given how long pokemon has been around many of the best 'odd things that don't make sense in the game' jokes have already been done...

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Agreed. And even if it's not "odd things that just happen in the game" jokes, it's usually "author/gamer pretends they're God" jokes where characters get smited and whatnot. It was funny the first time I've seen it, but then after that... Eh.

Although I don't think I've seen a "player acts as the character's imaginary friend" fanfiction before. And that would be kind of funny.

Muse

'The Underdog Trainer'
Years
I don't mean like 'character talks to author' stuff. Wow, that has been overused. Funny the first time, but now...Bleh. More like what Kazeto said about it. "Player acts as the character's imaginary friend." More like that! If it was done right, that is...>>

KamonPedro

Jedi Squirrel
Years
Hmmm... To be honest, it seems a bit corny. The whole, guy-playing-a-game-and-interacting-with-the-character genre seems really...just...lame. No offense meant at all, I just feel that it's far more satisfying to read about characters that seem real...reading about a character playing a character in a game, and acting as their imaginary friend, makes it seem so artificial.

Granted, if it was pulled off well, I wouldn't mind reading it. Heck, mebbe you can change my opinion :D.

Sakura~

flowery
Years
Depends on how you write it. I've seen the idea too many times to count and it doesn't faze me as much..but if you do it right, I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong~

-Mikuru ♥

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
Years
Why not flip-flop it, write it where the random trainer has an imaginay friend from a world without Pokemon?

ProtrainerEon

Ultimate Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2021
I have an idea. What if the Pokemon was confused because the player and game character were fighting over which move it should use?

Example:

Grovyle leapt forward, the cut attack it had been practicing ready to be put to the test. Duncan called out, "No Grovyle, use quick attack against Linoone!"

(NO use cut!)

"Quick attack!"

(CUT!)

Grovyle drew itself back, then forward with quick attack, back, then forward with cut again. This was getting too confusing. Who to obey?

Back