• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Better overall storyline

Which one is better

• Main Storyline

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Spin Off games

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Which series of games have better storylines? Main or the Spinoffs. Even though its the same type of storyline which pulls it off better? If you like the spin offs better which spin off do you prefer?

Example: I am play Mystery Dungeon : Gates to infinity. There was a plot twist that I actually didnt see coming and was like Wtf?

Years
Spin-offs definitely. No other Pokemon game but Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky melted my heart and made me cry for the first time in years.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
(why are there 26 guests on this thread?)

I'd say that the spin-off's usually have the better story as they have more room to innovate rather than sticking to the formula like GF does with the main series.

Also, when they attempted a more story driven narrative in B/W, I felt it fell flat on it's face.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
The spin-offs tend to have a better, more gripping storyline (see: Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia) than the main series games, bar Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. I like a more story-driven plot so I'm automatically biased towards the games with a storyline that overcomes the amount of gameplay, not to say that the Ranger games lacked gameplay, of course; it's just that the story would have made up for a lack of gameplay if it been that way.

Years
The main games had better story and gameplay, taht's why they sell better. Pokemon Red and Blue are the best selling RPG games of all time so that pretty much tells you all you need to know.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
The main games had better story and gameplay, taht's why they sell better. Pokemon Red and Blue are the best selling RPG games of all time so that pretty much tells you all you need to know.

This is personal opinions than anything else. The Spin off games game much later and of course people are going to buy new Gen games because people are interested to see what they look like.

Years
I prefer to remain Human in Pokemon games so I like Main games very much where competing for the league and winning the gym badges greatly satisfy my thirst for an RPG

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
I would honestly vote for Spinoff games more if not for the fact that the AI in Mystery Dungeon was so awful.

Without regrets; I feel like I speak for everyone when I say Mystery Dungeon would be 10x better if they cut back on the story and gave the AI the ability to actually fight back.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
From personal experience I'd vote for main series games. But that's just because the only spin-offs i've played are Pokémon Ranger and Battle Revolution. Although Ranger was interesting, I prefer the general storyline of other main series games. I particularly liked the story of HeartGold / SoulSilver - where you actually go to another region and beat their gyms, as well as battling a previous Champion. And in BW they upped the evil team storyline to another level, and I've got to be honest N is tragic. If he is Ghetsis' son, that makes Ghetsis the most purely evil character yet, too.
Although I can see how people would feel let down by the storylines of RSEDPPt, but Cyrus did at least have some sort of motivation.

Ranger's plot on the other hand was almost comical - "I'll capture all the pokémon using my Super Styler!". I mean, nobody thought of just illegally importing PokéBalls?

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Spin-off games, definitely. The main series games all resemble each other with predictable and outlandish plots. A minor exception is B/W, which kinda tried to be different and also kinda failed :p I don't think the spin-offs necessarily have great storylines, but I do prefer those plots to the main game plots. The first two Mystery Dungeons have pretty good plots in my opinion, they're pretty much the only Pokemon title I'd play more for the story. But I'd say Pokemon is definitely more gameplay-oriented than story-oriented.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
I did really like the Mystery Dungeon series, but I enjoy the main story more.
The overall story was more innovative and compelling in the Mystery Dungeon.. I definitely felt more involved.
But the main series Pokemon manages to keep a minimal story-line and still make it entertaining.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
My vote goes to the spin-offs too. I really liked the stories for the Mystery Dungeon games and Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, my favorite in the series. The main games, besides BW/B2W2, stuck to a single formula. The 5th gen games had the most compelling story in my opinion. But the spin-offs tend to have deeper storylines.

Back