• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Voice Acting

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
voice acting really seems like something any 3D adventure game needs. i wouldn't mind the rival and professor talking a little. not the whole time with every character but kind of like the professor layton games and mega man legends. but NOT like the new fire emblem! the whole "huh" what" yeah" on every line is really annoying.

Guy

just a guy
Years
This has always been something of an afterthought for me, but the only ones who I'd actually like to hear have their own VA's are the Pokémon themselves. Going beyond that, I just think it would feel weird. And while VA's work well on other types of games, I personally don't think Pokémon titles like X and Y necessarily need it. Having said that, I could see it working for future console Pokémon games a la XD and Colosseum.

I much prefer the silent playthrough though, because it allows your imagination to run free and just imagine what the characters may sound like in your head.

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2014
In most cases, voice acting seems to be done awkwardly.

A few games do it well (Portal/Portal 2 come to mind), but I've also seen several where the voice acting makes the characters sound... well, they don't sound genuine, they actually SOUND like bad acting, as opposed to like the character is actually talking to you.

Last edited:
Years
I don't know how the human NPCs, but I would be happy if Pokemon had voices like in the anime (or at least better sounds). I hate those awful creaking and squeaking sounds from GBC, GBA and NDS! :cer_pissed:

Well, now only about 9 posts and I can start a topic with my RMXP Pokémon game. When I trying to add screenshot there, it showed something about the URL and 15 posts...

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Most of the Pokemon Voices in the anime are lazy and half-hearted. In Japan, the voice actors really get into their characters and ACT. Even though each Pokemon only has 3 or 4 syllables to work with, the Japanese voices are consistently good.

I like the Battle Cries as they are. They sound like animals.

Pokemon should learn how to add Strong Narratives and Compelling Characters to the game before wasting money on voice actors. Pokemon has never had those in game, anime, or movie.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I hope not! I rarely like voice acting and was surprised when I actually enjoyed the voices in Kid Icarus Uprising. I don't think we are ever getting Pokemon voice acting, because we are supposed to be controlling what our players are thinking and what their personalities are mostly like since they're pretty mysterious (like Link). Having voice acting would be basically forcing a very specific character on to us (which works for some games like Kid Icarus, you're playing as Pit).

Voice acting is generally more annoying on a non-handheld game because then my entire family gets to hear it (lol), but I really hope that we don't get it on this game.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I can't see it happening. Voice acting in most games, especially for handheld games, doesn't work out too well. Plus with game like Pokemon, (and Legend of Zelda) that's has had silent characters for the entire series , it would for feel too weird. The protagonist is supposed to be you and you're the one experiencing being a trainer so you should be the one to give voices to NPCs/ characters and such. Also it would be too difficult and too expensive to hire voice actors for all the languages the games are gonna be released for and there's not enough time. As for Pokemon having voices, I much prefer cries. Some of the voices given to Pokemon in the anime dub are awful and don't really fit the Pokemon themselves.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I've been thinking about how cool it would be to have voice acting in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, but limited to only the cutscenes. Something that would be highly unlikely, but still something I would really like to see in a Pokémon game, as it makes it much more closer to the anime in a way.

Probably something that a Spin-off title would do, but I can't guarantee that the main games would have something like that, knowing every generation of the main series has only had walls of text and nothing else, but I would like to see some more emotions in the characters on their faces, rather than displaying a sign with it, similar to how Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity was like.

ArcanineLink

Experienced Arcanine Trainer
Years
I don't think there will be any voice acting in X and Y. I think there is more chance of them adding in the Pokemon cries from the anime. I think this is also very unlikely, although they could have an option in game to switch between the cries from the previous games and the anime ones. Who knows we may get voice acting in the games eventually in the future but I don't think it will be anytime soon :)

Years
I like the Battle Cries as they are. They sound like animals.

Are you serious? They sound like animals? :shocked:
Well, sorry, but I can't hear that. I heard there only some creaking and whistling sounds. Animals growl, howl and the like. Well, I don't care if they have anime voices or not. But I hope there will be at least better quality sounds. I think that the sound doesn't change much from old games Red / Blue / Yellow. On NDS it is almost the same.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Are you serious? They sound like animals? :shocked:
Well, sorry, but I can't hear that. I heard there only some creaking and whistling sounds. Animals growl, howl and the like. Well, I don't care if they have anime voices or not. But I hope there will be at least better quality sounds. I think that the sound doesn't change much from old games Red / Blue / Yellow. On NDS it is almost the same.

I think that they meant that the Pokemon sound more like animals than in the anime. I would much prefer the game sounds that seeing a Chespin and hearing it say "Ches ches chespin!" constantly.

Years
I would despise these games if there was voice acting. So much so that I might not even buy them... Pokemon is a game that SHOULD NOT have voice acting, ever.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I think that they meant that the Pokemon sound more like animals than in the anime. I would much prefer the game sounds that seeing a Chespin and hearing it say "Ches ches chespin!" constantly.

What do you mean the Pokemon don't sound like animals in the show? My dog is currently barking "Dog! Dog dog! Dooog!"

Yeah, changing Pokemon cries to "Pika Pika" or whatever would kinda suck. That still doesn't mean they can't add voice acting without changing cries of Pokemon.

Back