• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Steve's Alola Travel Journal

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
Years
August 24, 2017

Today's Pokémon were Smeargle, Crabrawler, and Gastly, who evolved into Haunter!

"Haunter, the Gas Pokémon, and the evolved form of Gastly. A ghost- and poison-type. Haunter strike at humans from total darkness. Those licked by their cold tongue grow weaker with each passing day until they die. They fear the light and revel in the dark. They may be on the verge of extinction in cities that stay brightly lit at night."

128. Haunter
093.png

August 27, 2017

I trained Drifloon, Misdreavus, Golbat, and Diglett. Then my Spearow evolved into a Fearow!

129. Fearow
022.png

August 28, 2017

This is taking quite a bit longer than I anticipated. Today's turns were Vullaby, Mankey, Delibird, Oricorio, Cutiefly, Petilil, Cottonee, Psyduck, Gyarados, and Barboach.

When I checked on my Pokémon on the Poké Pelago, I visited with my shiny Fomantis, who was happily playing with my Torracat. They seem to get along; I'll have to use them on a team together maybe.

August 29, 2017

After training Machop, while training my Roggenrola it evolved into Boldore!

130. Boldore
525.png

After that, I continued with Carbink and Sableye. While I was training Rockruff next, it started to evolve! Except… that doesn't look like the Lycanroc that I battled in my grand trial against Kahuna Olivia.

"That'zzz becauze Olivia'z Lycanroc was in itz Midnight Form," explained the Rotomdex. "Depending on the time of day that Rockruff evolvezzz, Lycanroc can become different formzzz."

I like this one's design better, I think. Rotom, who's that Pokémon?

"Lycanroc, the Wolf Pokémon, and the evolved form of Rockruff. Midday Form. A rock-type. Lycanroc confuse their enemies with their quick movements. Well equipped with claws and fangs, they also use the sharp rocks in their mane as weapons. When properly raised from a young age, they will become trusty partners that will absolutely never betray their trainers."

131. Lycanroc
745.png

Lycanroc looks awesome! While the Midnight Form is bulkier, this Midday Form is faster and can use a move called Accelerock, which is essentially a rock-type Quick Attack.

August 30, 2017

After having some fun training my new Lycanroc, I trained with Spinda, Tentacool, Finneon, Wishiwashi, Luvdisc, and Corsola.

September 3, 2017

Today was focused on Mareanie.

September 4, 2017

Today was it was Shellder that was mostly trained. This is a slow grind.

September 5, 2017

I got a little more training done today, finishing up with Bagon, Herdier, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, and Eevee.

September 6, 2017

Moving right along: Sylveon, Mudbray, Jigglypuff, Tauros, Miltank, Masquerain, Dewpider, Fomantis, Shiinotic, Parasect, and both Poliwag. And my Poliwag in a Great Ball (#2) evolved into Poliwhirl!

"Poliwhirl, the Tadpole Pokémon, and the evolved form of Poliwag. A water-type. Poliwhirl march over the land in search of bug Pokémon to eat. Then they take them underwater so they can dine on them where it's safe. Although they can live on land, they prefer to stay in the water, where they have fewer natural enemies."

132. Poliwhirl
061.png

Last edited:

OffRoadSP

Years
September 13, 2017

I was a little under the weather today, but I did try to get some training in! I continued with Goldeen, Feebas, Alomomola, Fletchinder, Salandit, Cubone, Kangaskhan, Magby, and Stufful. And to finish it off, my Bounsweet had evolved! Who's that Pokémon?

"Steenee, the Fruit Pokémon, and the evolved form of Bounsweet. A grass-type. Steenee are always bouncing around energetically. Other Pokémon are attracted by their lively appearance and pleasant aroma. The sepals on their head developed to protect their body. These are quite hard, so even if pecked by bird Pokémon, they are totally fine."

133. Steenee
762.png

September 18, 2017 11:10pm (11:10am Alola Time)

Still training my Pokémon on Hano Beach, despite my splitting headache, I had my eyes closed a lot. Suddenly I heard a rare but familiar ringing… and there it was! A cool-looking shiny silver Staryu! It took two Poké Balls, but I easily caught it! Looks like I have a second member of my Alola team! Which, like Fomantis, will hang out on Poké Pelago until I'm done with this round of training.

120.png

September 19, 2017

Continuing my training, I rotated through Comfey, Pinsir, Oranguru, Passimian, Goomy, and Castform.

September 20, 2017

And finally, I finished up with the rest: Staryu, Sandygast, Cranidos, Shieldon, Archen, Tirtouga, Phantump, Nosepass, Pyukumuku, and Chinchou. Whew! Time to finally move on!

OffRoadSP

Years
September 21, 2017

I stopped by Poké Pelago and visited my Alola Pokémon. I found my shiny Fomantis on Isle Abeens helping to harvest Poké Beans. My shiny Staryu was on Isle Aphun gathering items from the caves. Both seemed very happy when I asked them to come with me.

From there, I flew over to Melemele Island to meet with Professor Kukui and update him on my progress. I also asked him to examine my Staryu. After spending some time examining it, he said that it was a rather timid Pokémon, but yet had a mischievous streak. Its stats were not all that impressive, but seemed to be high where it counts. A Staryu's best stats are its special attack and its speed, and my Staryu excels in both of those. The rest, though, it sorely lacks in. Well, at least that makes it clear how I will train it!

I then asked the professor about the different forms of Lycanroc. He said there are two forms, and possibly a third one that he is currently researching. My Lycanroc evolved into the Midday Form. Olivia's Lycanroc was the Midnight Form. He then gave me a Cherish Ball, and inside was a special Midnight Form Lycanroc that he discovered! He said that I could keep it with my other Pokémon.

Suddenly, we heard a strange sound coming from outside the laboratory. Professor Kukui seemed to recognize the sound and rushed outside. I followed with my Pokémon. Kukui seemed frozen in place, his jaw dropped. I followed his gaze and saw what he was looking at. It was the guardian of Melemele Island, Tapu Koko! But… this was not the same Tapu Koko who saved me from the collapsing bridge in the Ruins of Conflict. Its wings are black instead of yellow.

"That's… that's…" stuttered the professor. "A shiny Tapu Koko!"

The Tapu Koko reached out and tapped my Z-Ring. As it began to glow, a Cherish Ball appeared in the palm of my hand. The shiny Tapu Koko entered the Cherish Ball!

"Zzzrt! You registered a Land Spirit Pokémon!" exclaimed the Rotomdex. "If I were you, I'd check it out at once!"

"Tapu Koko, the Land Spirit Pokémon. An electric- and fairy-type. Tapu Koko is the guardian deity of Melemele Island and is brimming with curiosity. It summons thunderclouds and stores their lightning inside its body. It confuses its enemies by flying too quickly for the eye to follow. It has a hair-trigger temper but forgets what made it angry an instant later."

134. Tapu Koko
785.png

Professor Kukui seemed very impressed, saying that Tapu Koko typically does not reveal itself to someone who has not defeated all the island trials. As a way to show my thanks, I must resolve to finish the island challenge!

After that, we went back inside the lab, and I placed a call to Brigette to check on my Pokémon from the Kalos and Hoenn regions. During our discussion, Brigette said she discovered a strange crystal. She showed it on screen, and Kukui confirmed that it was indeed a Z-Crystal! She said she would send it over for him to examine. From his research, Kukui believes it to be Mewnium Z, but since Mew is not usually found in Alola, it would be a difficult theory to prove.

One more thing that the professor had been working on for me, was obtaining some Mega Stones from the Kalos and Hoenn region. He obtained a whole bunch of them; however, without a Key Stone, they wouldn't be too useful. And, honestly, I don't have any of those Pokémon in Alola. The Mega Stones he gave me were Mewtwonite X, Mewtwonite Y, Mawilite, Beedrillite, Audinite, Medichamite, Pidgeotite, Steelixite, Heracronite, Houndoomite, Sceptilite, Blazikenite, Swampertite, Cameruptite, Banettite, Tyranitarite, Abomasite, Manectite, Aggronite, Gardevorite, Galladite, Lopunnite, Diancite, Ampharosite, Altarianite, Latiasite, and Latiosite.

And finally, I received my reward for participation in the final Global Mission that was held last month, which included a Fast Ball. I'm still upset about the ones I missed, but at least I got a Lure Ball and a Fast Ball, which are incredibly rare Poké Balls outside of the Johto region.

Later that day, I spent some time getting to know my pair of shiny Pokémon, Fomantis and Staryu. Fomantis had a powerful Razor Leaf that it could boost with Growth, but its other moves needed work. Instead of Leafage, we practiced Hidden Power, which was rock-type. And instead of Ingrain, we worked on restoring its strength using Leech Life. Staryu's moves were already diverse, but pretty standard; Bubblebeam was its strongest attack. Swift and Psywave have their uses, and Camouflage is sometimes interesting. (Its Hidden Power was, unfortunately, water-type.) I had a bunch of Carbos from the Festival Plaza, so I gave them to my Staryu. Then I remembered, there are training facilities on Poké Pelago! I had Fomantis and Staryu go to Isle Evelup with over a dozen of my other Pokémon to train their special defense and speed, respectively. That will keep them bust while I'm at work this evening.

September 22, 2017

I won't have much time today with work, so I had Fomantis and Staryu work together on a course with some of my other Pokémon. This course would help them work as a team, and help boost their special attack.

September 25, 2017

I took Dartrix, Torracat, and Brionne with me, and picked up Fomantis and Staryu from Isle Evelup. I tested Fomantis and Staryu by battling against some wild Pokémon on Akala Island, and then decided, finally… it's time to move on! So I headed over to the Hano Grand Resort, where I met the guy from the Aether Foundation who a few months ago offered to take me on a tour somewhere as thanks for helping him out. I was not alone, though; Hau, Kahuna Olivia, and Professor Kukui joined me at the resort hotel.

"So you've come at last," the scientist began. "Ah, but forgive me. I have yet to introduce myself. You may call me Faba. I told you before that I would show you someplace astounding, right? Well, that wondrous place is… Aether Paradise!"

"Aether Paradise?" I repeated. "What's that?"

"Just as the name suggests, Aether Paradise is a veritable paradise for Pokémon that floats far out in the sea surrounding Alola," Faba explained. "It is an artificial island, made entirely by human technology, for the protecting of Pokémon!"

Hau and I followed Faba, as Olivia and Kukui saw us off.

"You go see all the amazing tech that Aether's developing and tell me about it later, yeah?" Kukui said with a smile. "That's right. I'll see you on the next island… Ula'ula Island, yeah? Then let's meet up at Malie Garden!"

Faba, Hau, and I boarded the Ferry and sailed towards the Aether Paradise. As it came into view, it was an awesome sight: a huge, man-made island that essentially serves as a fifth island in the Alola region.

Once we went inside, Faba began to explain the island's purpose. "Aether Paradise is a facility created for the conservation of Pokémon. It has been outfitted with all of the latest technology for this purpose."

Faba went on to explain that we will not be able to use our Poké Balls within Aether Paradise, since a jamming signal broadcast over the whole facility prevents them from working. He then took his leave, stating that as branch manager he had things to do, and handed us off to another woman who worked there. The woman introduced herself as Wicke. She showed us around the different floors, and then took us to the second floor which was the conservation area. She reminded us that the use of Poké Balls in the conservation area is strictly forbidden. She also said that the president of the Aether Foundation, Lusamine, should be somewhere in this area. Wicke then left us to explore on our own.

Eventually, we found this Lusamine in the conservation area. She was talking to some Pokémon, saying that she would protect them with her love. Then she turned her attention to us. She welcomed us to the Aether Paradise, and explain that she created a place like this to protect Pokémon from people who would do them harm.

"I will be like a mother to all of those poor Pokémon and shower them with love," she explained. "Even Pokémon from distant worlds, far from the Alola region, are worthy of my love."

Hau made a comment about how young she looked, but Lusamine said she was over 40. She then made some kind of comment about how Hau dresses badly. That was kind of rude. Hau mentioned Lillie in a passing comment, and I noticed Lusamine made an unusual reaction from hearing her name. Before I could ask more, it seemed as though the whole island began to suddenly shake! As everyone began to look around as if to search for the cause of the quake, all eyes turned as a rift appeared out of thin air! And then… a figure came out of the rift! It was some kind of huge jellyfish-like creature. Is that a Pokémon?

Lusamine seemed rather calm as it floated in front of all of us. "Did you come from another world?" she asked.

The creature made a chilling sound in response.

"Miss Lusamine, stand back!" yelled Hau. "That thing's… not right!"

Lusamine shook her head in objection. "You poor creature…"

"Zzrt?! I've never seen a Pokémon like that!" Rotom exclaimed. It saw me approach it. "Wait! Are we really gonna fight that… that thing?!"

I assume whatever that is, that it's a water-type, so I sent out Fomantis to battle it. That was a poor choice, since it used Venoshock and immediately knocked out my little grass-type. So I sent out Staryu, and thanks to its speed it used a quick Bubble Beam… which was super effective?! A blue jellyfish… I mean, I doubt it's a fire-type, it doesn't look rocky at all either, so… ground-type? Regardless, it very quickly knocked out my Staryu. Since it was weak to water, I sent out Brionne, and used Hydro Vortex, but it was still just floating there. Whatever this is, it's tough!

However, the strange being began moving weird, and it seemed to just blink out of our sight, as though it returned to where it came from, or maybe just teleported away.

Everyone stood in awe, until Lusamine broke the silence. "So it's true, I still need that Pokémon. I need to get it back."

I gazed at her curiously. What is she talking about? And what's with that evil smile she has on her face?

"That creature we just saw was undoubtedly an Ultra Beast," Lusamine stated. "An unknown being from another dimension that suddenly appears from the Ultra Wormhole. It looked like it was suffering, like it pained it to be in this strange place. I can't bear to see that happen! I will save it. And I will love it!"

She thanked both of for helping with the incident, and then asked Wicke to take us to Ula'ula Island.

Once Hau and I arrived on Ula'ula Island, Hau wanted to have a battle to kick off out exploration of a new island!

Hau led off with his Flareon, which gave my Staryu a good challenge. Since Staryu was still new to batting, it did need Brionne to back it up. For Hau's second Pokémon, he sent out his Raichu, recently evolved from his Pikachu! Wait, is that Raichu floating and surfing on its tail?? That's awesome! Rotom, what's up with that Raichu?

"Raichu, the Mouse Pokémon, and the evolved form of Pikachu. An electric- and psychic-type. Raichu only evolves to this form in the Alola region. According to researchers, their diet is one of the causes of this change. They use psychokinesis to control electricity. They hop aboard their own tail, using psychic power to lift the tail and move about while riding it."

I had my Torracat battle Raichu, and it was close, but we were able to win. Then, finally, Hau sent out his Brionne. I sent Fomantis out first, and had it use Bloom Doom for the first time. It did a good job, but Dartrix was needed to finish the battle.

After the battle, we stopped in the Pokémon Center. Rotom was able to update the Pokédex database to include the Ula'ula Pokédex, which apparently I had already obtained 51 Pokémon that are native to the island. So, I contacted the Poké Pelago, and had Mohn gather the 37 Pokémon that I have that are native to Ula'ula, and began planning new rotation Pokémon for exploring the island!

September 26, 2017

Fomantis and Staryu will pretty much be permanent members of my team unless otherwise specified. So along with those two, the first group of Pokémon I had sent to me was Chansey, Raticate, Grimer, and Parasect. I also decided to work on a new move with my Staryu. Instead of Psywave, it learned to focus its power better and unleash a much more powerful Psychic!

I then began to explore Malie City. The city had a very eastern cultural feel to it in terms of ambiance. There was a large garden nearby, where Hau and I were supposed to meet Professor Kukui. But first, I wanted to explore Malie Garden a bit. There were a bunch of wild Pokémon in the garden, so it was a perfect opportunity to train my team. My Fomantis was struggling to win battles, but when I called for it to use Razor Leaf, it instead moved in for a closer attack and slashed its opponent with one of its leaves. Looks like it learned to use Leaf Blade, which is much stronger!

OffRoadSP

Years
October 9, 2017

While walking around the Malie Garden, I was challenged by a trainer who used a Cleffa! It made a good opponent for my Fomantis. I wonder where I'll find wild Cleffa on this island.

"Cleffa, the Star Shape Pokémon. A fairy-type. Cleffa are believed to be stars reborn because of their silhouettes. On late nights illuminated by shooting stars, they gaze intently skyward, as if thinking of their home. For some reason, they love Minior."

…What's a Minior?

October 10, 2017

While exploring Malie Garden, I found a Zygarde Cell along one of the paths (34%). I then had a battle with a sightseer from the Kanto region, and she battled me with a Raticate and a Raichu! Not the Alola versions I've seen, but the forms I'm more familiar with from over the years. It was fun getting to have a battle between both forms of Raticate!

"Raticate, the Mouse Pokémon, and the evolved form of Rattata. A normal-type. Raticate have a disposition that is far more violent than their looks suggest. Don't let your hand get too close to their face, as they could bite your hand clean off. Their hind feet are webbed, so they're strong swimmers. They can cross rivers and sometimes even oceans."

"Raichu, the Mouse Pokémon, and the evolved form of Pikachu. An electric-type. Raichu unleash electric shocks that can reach 100,000 volts. They become aggressive when they have electricity stored up. At such times, even their trainers have to take care to avoid being shocked."

After that, Hau and I met Professor Kukui, who was relaxing outside a stand in the middle of the gardens. We shared with him the story of how we saw an Ultra Wormhole at the Aether Paradise and the strange Ultra Beast that emerged from it. He seemed excited to hear about the experience, and said he would pass along the info to Professor Burnet. He then suggested that we head to Mount Hokulani for our next island challenge. There's a bus that leaves from Route 10 that could take to the observatory at the top of the mountain. Hau said he wanted to find a local malasada shop first, and I definitely want to explore more of Malie City as well.

A few people commented on how Malie City reminds them of the Johto region. Now that they mention it, there is some resemblance, especially to Ecruteak City. Ah, Johto, the one region I never finished a journey in…

October 11, 2017

I ran into Lillie as I was walking down one of Malie City's streets. She said she was going to the library in town to see if she could find out anything about Nebby. And, of course, she ultimately wanted to take Nebby to the ruins here on Ula'ula Island. I wonder what this guardian Pokémon is like.

Walking further along the street, I ran into a familiar face. What's Professor Oak doing here? Except, I was only partially correct. It was Professor Oak all right, but not Professor Samuel Oak that gave me my first Pokémon decades ago from the Kanto region; no, this was apparently his cousin, the much tanner but otherwise identical Professor Samson Oak! We chatted a bit, and he said how a young man from the Kalos region was responsible for inventing the Rotomdex that's accompanying me on my journey. I can't help but wonder if he means the Lumiose City Gym Leader, Clemont.

I found another Zygarde Cell in a nearby parking lot (35%).

After exploring the shops in town, I eventually made my way to the Malie Library, where I saw Lillie having a conversation with a familiar face, Hapu. Hapu told Lillie that it is a difficult journey to the ruins on the island, but that she offered to take her there on her Mudsdale.

Inside the library, a girl named Acerola help Lillie find the book she was looking for. The book she was looking for was a very old text called Light of Alola.

LIGHT OF ALOLA

Spoiler:

An interesting tale. Solgaleo and Lunala must be the iconic legendary Pokémon of the Alola region, as all regions have. Hopefully, I'll meet them sooner than later.

It was late when I left the library, and saw the sparkle of another Zygarde Cell nearby, inside the community center (36%).

I then followed a road north from the main part of the city, and was challenged by a janitor who battled me using a pair of Trubbish!

"Trubbish, the Trash Bag Pokémon. A poison-type. Trubbish like unsanitary places best. They gorge on trash until their stomachs are full. Then they belch toxic gas. An unlucky whiff of this gas will put a person in the hospital. They can be spotted in Alola, often with Grimer in hot pursuit."

The janitor told me that wild Trubbish live in this area because of the Recycling Plant nearby. There were other wild Pokémon in the area as well, such as wild Raticate that almost wiped out my whole party, but it did not take long for me to find a wild Trubbish. I had Staryu weaken it with a few Swift attacks, plus it used Take Down so that helped. I tossed a Poké Ball and caught it!

135. Trubbish
568.png

I then checked out this Recycling Plant. A father-son team that ran the place explained to me that in the Alola region, Grimer and Muk are used to manage all the garbage from the islands. Then they challenged me to a battle, so I got to check out an Alolan Muk for the first time! It's very colorful!

"Muk, the Sludge Pokémon, and the evolved from of Grimer. A poison and dark-type. Muk are unexpectedly quiet and friendly. The garbage they eat causes continuous chemical changes in their body, which produce their exceedingly vivid coloration. If they are not fed any trash for a while, they will smash buildings or furnishings and eat up the fragments."

I had Staryu use a Z-Move for the first time, as it beat the son's Grimer with Hydro Vortex.

I also ran into Professor Oak looking out from the Outer Cape over the ocean. He mentioned how he was studying the regional variations of the Pokémon in the Alola region, such as Grimer and Muk. Then he gave me something he had acquired in the Johto region: a Friend Ball! I'll be saving this for a special occasion for sure.

Once it became daytime, I found another Zygarde Cell outside the Recycling Plant (37%). It doesn't seem there's anything else to see here, so it's off to Route 10!

Route 10 is a very straightforward route, leading to the bus that can take me to Mount Hokulani and my next island challenge. Near the entrance I came upon a woman who had lost several of her Stufful, so I searched for them as I explored the route. As I passed a large tree, a Pokémon suddenly dove out and attacked. It was a wild Skarmory! I had my Staryu weaken it with a few Bubble Beam attacks, but it was knocked out by several Fury Attacks. So I then had Parasect use Spore to put it to sleep. It took a few tries, but I was able to catch it!

"Skarmory, the Armor Bird Pokémon. A steel and flying-type. Skarmory have sturdy metal bodies, but they do rust rather easily. So on rainy days, they prefer to stay put in their nests. Their feathers, which fall off as they grow, are thin and sharp. In times long past, warriors used them as swords."

136. Skarmory
227.png

So there are Skarmory in Alola. I wonder how my Skarmory in Hoenn is doing? But, back to exploring the route. I battles a few trainers, and it was great experience for my Pokémon. My Staryu learned how to use Brine, and my Fomantis learned Synthesis! So we have some new moves to try out now. Other than that, I had my team battle the wild Pokémon in the area, which seemed to consist of Skarmory, Ledian, Gumshoos, and Fearow. Powerful evolved Pokémon live along this route, so it seems like a great place for training! I also found a Zygarde Cell tucked in a corner (38%).

I eventually returned to the Malie City Pokémon Center, where I had my Pokémon treated, and rotated out four of my Pokémon. The next group up is Magnemite, Cottonee, Petilil, and Castform.

October 12, 2017

I rotated my Pokémon again, taking Tentacool, Gyarados, Mudbray, and Psyduck with me.

October 19, 2017

After a very busy but fun week, I got back to more Pokémon training. I finished training the previous group on Route 10 and then had Ariados, Gumshoos, Wishiwashi, and Pelipper sent to me.

October 21, 2017

I have the day off from work, so hopefully I can progress my Pokémon journey a bit! While doing some training on Route 10, I found a wild Pancham in the tall grass. It took a few Poké Balls, but I otherwise easily caught it. Hm, I wonder how my shiny Pancham in Kalos is doing?

"Pancham, the Playful Pokémon. A fighting-type. Pancham grow up imitating the behavior of Pangoro, which they look up to as leaders. There's no point to the leaf in their mouth, aside from an effort to look cool. They're mischievous, so they're not well suited to inexperienced trainers."

137. Pancham
674.png

I then stopped in the Pokémon Center in Malie City to rotate in Poliwag, Goldeen, Fomantis, and Meowth. Time to hurry back to Route 10, and catch a bus to the peak of Mount Hokulani!

When I reached the bus stop on Route 10, there were a pair of Team Skull grunts who wanted to battle. My Staryu easily defeated the first one's Golbat, but it took a few of my Pokémon to take down the other grunt's Raticate. Once they ran off, Professor Kukui arrived at the bus stop as well. The Exeggutor Express pulled up and the both of us boarded. The ride to the summit of Mount Hokulani was a winding road up the side of the mountain. As we rode the bus, the professor explained that Mount Hokulani is the second highest mountain in the Alola region. The highest peak, which could be seen beautifully from here, is Mount Lanakila. He went on to say that he plan on developing a Pokémon League right here on Alola, and the championship battle would be held atop Mount Lanakila! For now though, I have the island challenge to worry about, so I got off the bus at the Pokémon Center outside the Hokulani Observatory.

Samson Oak was at the Pokémon Center. He was telling me about a Pokémon found nearby called Minior, which is said to fall from space like a meteor. He said that Minior have different colored cores, which is less like a regional variation and more like an inherent trait. He then gave me some more Johto Poké Balls, including a Moon Ball! Oak suggested I explore Route 11 if I want to fill my Pokédex.

So I followed the path back down the mountain to see what I could find. I ran into a Pokémon trainer who battled me with her Clefairy. Hm, so I see that Pokémon rumored to come from outer space is the theme around here…

"Clefairy, the Fairy Pokémon, and the evolved form of Cleffa. A fairy-type. Clefairy are popular with men and women, young and old, due to their adorable behavior and appearance. Their numbers are few, however. On nights with a full moon, they gather together and dance. The surrounding area is enveloped in an abnormal magnetic field."

A then battled a hiker and his two Pokémon. He used a Boldore and… is that a Geodude? Wait, did it just use Thunder Punch?? Rotom, what's up with that?

"Geodude, the Rock Pokémon. A rock and electric-type. Geodude have bodies that are magnetic stones. Iron sand attaches firmly to the portions of their body that are particularly magnetic. If you accidentally step on one sleeping on the ground, you'll hear a crunching sound and feel a shock ripple through your entire body."

Geodude… are electric-type? That's so interesting! I mean it makes them terribly weak to ground attacks, but lessens their weakness to water or grass-type attacks. I'd love to see its evolutions.

I continued to explore Route 11, and found a spot on one of the cliff edges to take some pictures with the Poké Finder. I saw a wild Beldum floating around nearby on another cliff!

"Beldum, the Iron Ball Pokémon. A steel and psychic-type. Beldum uses magnetism to communicate with others of their kind. Their cells are all magnets. With magnetic traction, they pull their opponents in close. When they're in range, they slash them with their rear claws."

I then decided to see what kind of wild Pokémon might be nearby. The first Pokémon I came across was a wild Cleffa! (Which was exactly what I wanted, while it was still nighttime!) After a very, very long battle against several wild Cleffa and Clefairy, I finally saw the Cleffa I wanted, and caught it in a Luxury Ball!

138. Cleffa
173.png

OffRoadSP

Years
October 22, 2017

I went back out to see what other wild Pok?mon I could find. I was leaning up against what I thought was a rock, until it started to move! Is that a Pok?mon?

?Minior, the Meteor Pok?mon. A rock and flying-type. Meteor Form. Minior were born from mutated nanoparticles. Originally making their home in the ozone layer, they hurtle to the ground when the shell enclosing their body grows too heavy. Strong impacts can knock them out of their shell.?

This looks like a cool Pok?mon! I try to have my Poliwag use Hypnosis on it, but it has no effect! Rotom informs me that its shell makes it immune to status conditions, and also much harder to catch. So I have Poliwag battle it a bit, and the shell eventually cracks! It looks like a cool orange star.

?Minior, the Meteor Pok?mon. A rock and flying-type. Core Form. Minior eat dust in the atmosphere. The composition of the dust determines the color of the core. If their core stays exposed, they will soon die off. It?s possible that they may survive if they?re put into a Pok? Ball quickly enough.?

Then let?s not waste any time, go Pok? Ball! It was an easy catch, so I now have a new Alola Pok?mon!

139. Minior
774.png
774-o.png

I was very lucky with my next two encounters as well. First I found a Ditto that was mimicking my Meowth, and soon after I found a wild Beldum as well! I caught the Ditto easily, but the Beldum was quite difficult to weaken and catch, even in a Great Ball. Was this the first time I?m actually catching a Beldum? I don?t think I ever realized its catch rate was on par with the strongest legendary Pok?mon.

?Ditto, the Transform Pok?mon. A normal-type. Ditto can reorganize their cells to make themselves into duplicates of anything they see. The quality of the duplicate depends on the individual. With their astonishing capacity for metamorphosis, they can get along with anything. They do not get along well with their fellow Ditto.?

140. Ditto
132.png

141. Beldum

374.png

I then wanted to see what other color Minior I could find and catch. Poliwag was very helpful with this. Since these wild Minior could use Self-Destruct, Poliwag?s Damp ability came in handy to prevent that. I caught a Blue Core, then a Violet Core, and finally made a critical capture on a Yellow Core. Rotom says there are still three other colors.

But, it was time to give my team a rest, and rotate in the next group of Slowpoke #1, Oricorio, Dewpider, and Cutiefly.

October 23, 2017

I?m still training on Mount Hokulani, and found another Minior to catch, this time it was a Red Core. After I caught it, my Cutiefly started to evolve! It?s still a cute, tiny bug, but who?s that Pok?mon?

?Ribombee, the Bee Fly Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Cutiefly. A bug and fairy-type. Ribombee roll up pollen into puffs. They make many different varieties, some used as food and others used in battle. Some of these pollen puffs are highly nutritious and sometimes sold as supplements.?

142. Ribombee
743.png

October 24, 2017

Another Pok?mon on my team evolved, as my Dewpider evolved into a cool Araquanid like the one Lana had!

143. Araquanid
752.png

I then caught an Indigo Core Minior soon after that. I finished training that team, and then switched in Goomy, Fearow, Golbat, and Poliwhirl. With that team, I caught a Green Core Minior, which Rotom says is the last one that I need to have one of every possible color.

I did much more training the rest of the day, rotating through Crabrawler, Slowpoke #2, Ledian, and Masquerain, and then ending with Finneon, Haunter, Trumbeak, and Diglett.

October 25, 2017

I just have a few more Pok?mon to train before I head over to the Mount Hokulani Observatory and have challenge my next island trial. As I was battling some wild Pok?mon, my Diglett started to evolve! Alolan Dugtrio have quite the full head of hair? even if that hair is really steel strands, it still looks weird.

?Dugtrio, the Mole Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Diglett. A ground and steel-type. Dugtrio are cherished in the Alola region, where they are thought to be feminine deities of the land incarnate. Their shining gold hair provides them with protection. It?s reputed that keeping any of their fallen hairs will bring bad luck.?

144. Dugtrio
051-a.png

Shortly after that, my Trumbeak evolved as well! Rotom, follow your nose and tell me who?s that Pok?mon?

?Toucannon, the Cannon Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Trumbeak. A normal and flying-type. Toucannon have a large beak that heats up when they battle. The temperature can easily exceed 212 degrees Fahrenheit, causing severe burns when it hits. Within this beak, internal gas ignites, explosively launching seeds with enough power to pulverize boulders.?

145. Toucannon
733.png

That completed my initial rotation of Ula?ula Pok?mon. My only Pok?mon left to train is Charjabug, so I took it along with Fomantis and Staryu, and got ready to see what the observatory is like!

As the sun was rising on the Alola horizon, Professor Kukui met me at the Pok?mon Center. He wanted to go to the observatory with me. As we approached the site of my next trial, Kukui starting waving to a man standing in front of the entrance. The man was introduced to me as Molayne, an old adventuring buddy of the professor?s. Molayne is the manager of the Hokulani Observatory, but he has turned over the title of Trial Captain to Sophocles, the same guy who started the Festival Plaza in Alola. Molayne said that before I go into the observatory for my trial, he?d like to challenge me to a battle!

We each used three Pok?mon. Molayne started off with his Skarmory.

?I know Skarmory well,? I said, choosing my first Pok?mon. ?I had one as a partner when I was traveling through Hoenn last year. It has high defense, but not so much special defense. So let?s go, Staryu!?

I decided that I needed a big hit to defeat his first Pok?mon quickly. I figure his whole team can?t be high defense. So I activate my Z-Ring and have Staryu use Hydro Vortex. It landed the powerful hit I needed, although Skarmory came back with a critical hit from an Air Cutter attack. But Staryu was fast enough to finish its weakened opponent with a Brine attack.

Next, Molayne sent out Metang has his second Pok?mon! What was I saying about his team not being completely defensive? Ugh.

?Metang, the Iron Claw Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Beldum. A steel and psychic-type. Metang are formed when two Beldum link together. This doubles their psychic power. Their intelligence, however, remains unchanged. They adore magnetic minerals, so they pursue Nosepass at speeds exceeding 60 mph.?

I?m going to go for super-effective damage on this one, so I sent out Charjabug. I had it use Crunch over and over. Thankfully, Metang?s attacks of Bullet Punch and Pursuit did not do much damage, so I eventually won that battle.

Our last opponent is a Dugtrio. So, Molayne must be a steel-type Pok?mon trainer. I think Staryu is too worn out from battling, so I send out Fomantis. Fomantis lands a good Leaf Blade attack, but not before Dugtrio gets a shot in first with Sucker Punch. I had Fomantis slow down and wait for an opening, using Synthesis to heal itself. Sucker Punch won?t work if the opponent isn?t attacking directly! But Dugtrio also knew Mud Bomb, although it wasn?t very effective. A few more Leaf Blade-Synthesis combos, and Fomantis won the match!

I then went inside and walked around the observatory. I eventually ran into Sophocles, who was working on some kind of invention. He said he was building a device that would summon the Totem Pok?mon without having to go through a trial. The machine was complete, so he wanted to test out the Ping Totem Pok?mon 2.0 system?

But when he turned it on, the power went out. (I guess that answers what happened to 1.0.) So it looks like I?m going to have a trial after all? Trial Start! I had to pass audio quizzes by identifying sound effects from various things in the Pok?mon world. As I heard doors open, we were attacked by Grubbin and Charjabug, but my Charjabug was able to defeat them easily. I heard something coming closer; it sounds like large wings buzzing. Sophocles says that it?s the Totem Pok?mon getting closer. Finally, the building lit up with electricity emanating from the large Pok?mon that entered through the roof. It?s the Totem Pok?mon, but I don?t recognize it! It?s some king of huge bug giving off a lot of electricity. Who?s that Pok?mon?

?Vikavolt, the Stag Beetle Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Charjabug. A bug and electric-type. Vikavolt produce electricity via an electrical organ in their abdomen. They zip around, on sharp lookout for an opening. They concentrate electrical energy within their large jaws and use it to zap their enemies. They overwhelm bird Pok?mon with shocking beams of this electrical energy.?

Time for my main two Pok?mon to go into action. First up was my Fomantis, who used Hidden Power on it, but it struck back with a quick Bug Bite and knocked it right out. To make it even worse, Totem Vikavolt called for a Charjabug as its ally in battle. So I sent out Staryu, but even after using Camouflage to make it a normal-type, it was stick knocked out with Vikavolt?s Spark. I?m going to need backup to win this trial.

So I went back to the Pok?mon Center to have my Pok?mon treated by Nurse Joy. I then thought about what other Pok?mon I could bring with me. There aren?t any fire or rock-types among those that I?ve trained on Ula?ula Island. So I?ll have to think of another strategy. It took a lot of consideration, but this is what I came up with:

Gumshoos will get in early and use Super Fang on Vikavolt. Hopefully that will give us the head start we need. Ribombee is in there because it should resist most of the attacks we?ll see. And, although I haven?t trained it yet, I?ll use my Minior I just caught, and hopefully a Z-Move will help finish things.

So I returned to Sophocles, and said I was ready to battle Totem Vikavolt again. While we waited for the Totem Pok?mon to arrive, I once again had my Charjabug battle the Grubbin and Charjabug at the observatory, and finally?

?There it is!? shouted Sophocles. ?The Totem Pok?mon! This is your time to shine, Steve!?

The Totem Pok?mon of Hokulani Observatory appeared, and its aura flared to life, increasing its stats. It immediately dove onto my Charjabug, knocking it out with a critical hit from Vice Grip!

Molayne was present for the battle this time as well. ?Totem Vikavolt just called its ally Charjabug. What?s it going to be this time, challenger??

?Charjabug, return, you did great,? I say as I substitute Pok?mon. ?We?re ready with a full team this time. Gumshoos, you?re up first!?

The Totem Vikavolt used Charge to increase its defense. Which is just the opening I wanted, as my Gumshoos lands a perfect Super Fang! Unfortunately, it was immediately paralyzed by the Charjabug. That slowed my Pok?mon down significantly, and Vikavolt charged into it with a powerful Spark, knocking it out.

?I hope this works. Minior, I choose you!? I send out my next Pok?mon, and activate my Z-Ring. But, Minior was too slow, and was knocked out by Vikavolt?s Spark.

?That might be game over, but I?m still going to try!? I sent out my next Pok?mon. ?Ribombee, use Pollen Puff!?

Ribombee was the faster Pok?mon, and landed its attack, but Vikavolt continues to boost its special defense with Charge. And, unfortunately, that ally Pok?mon once again paralyzes my Pok?mon with Thunder Wave. But even paralyzed, Ribombee was fast enough to land one more Pollen Puff before being knocked out with Spark!

?Ok, down to my last two Pok?mon.? I sent out my Staryu and activate my Z-Ring. ?Staryu, power up, and use Hydro Vortex!?

Staryu is faster than Vikavolt, and spins around the Totem, created a powerful vortex? and knocks out Totem Vikavolt!

?Great job, Staryu!? I call out to my Pok?mon, as it?s paralyzed by the remaining Charjabug on the field.

?Hang in there, Staryu! Use Brine!? The attack deals significant damage! The Charjabug tries to slow down my Pok?mon with String Shot. It actually works, because it allowed it to get in a Vice Grip attack on Staryu.

?Quick, while it has you, use Brine!? The attack was very potent at close range, and the Charjabug was knocked out!

Molayne congratulate both myself and Sophocles. ?Big Mo,? as ?Soffy? calls his uncle, was proud of his nephew?s work as captain and on his new invention, although it does short out the whole observatory by drawing too much power. Still, Sophocles rewarded me with Electrium Z, and Molayne also gave me Steelium Z! Two Z-Crystals from one trial? No complaints here! Trial Complete!!

October 26, 2017

I found a Zygarde Cell in the Hokulani Observatory at night (39%).

OffRoadSP

Years
October 30, 2017

With my first island trial on Ula'ula Island completed, it was time to start a new rotation of Pokémon training, starting with some Pokémon I recently caught. The first group consisted of Grimer, Trubbish, Skarmory, and Pancham. Heh, it's interesting that three of those are Pokémon I have shiny versions of in other regions.

Before leaving Mount Hokulani, I had one more battle against a veteran trainer there. He had an Absol that used a dark-type Z-Move called Black Hole Eclipse, which essentially opens a black hole near its opponent and then explodes with dark energy. That made it a tough battle!

"Absol, the Disaster Pokémon. A dark-type. Absol are said to bring about disaster in old superstitions. This fed a hatred of them, and they were driven deep into the mountains. In actuality, they possess a calm disposition and warn people of any crises that loom."

I took the Exeggutor Express down the mountain to Route 10, and soon arrived back in Malie City. On the way back, I got to test out my new Z-Move that Molayne taught me, by having Skarmory use Corkscrew Crash.

Once I arrived in Malie City, I heard some kind of commotion coming from Malie Garden. When I went over to see what was going on, I saw Team Skull there facing off against Professor Kukui. An adult member of Team Skull seemed to be having some words with Kukui. The man was named Guzma, and he's apparently the leader of Team Skull! It looked like he was itching for a battle, and sent out his Pokémon. Wow, I never saw that Pokémon before! It looked like some kind of armored, bipedal insect-like creature.

"Allow me!" Rotom said as it moved forward to scan the Pokémon.

"Golisopod, the Hard Scale Pokémon, and the evolved form of Wimpod. A bug and water-type. Golisopod battle skillfully with their six arms, but spend most of their time peacefully meditating in caves deep beneath the sea. With a flashing slash of their giant sharp claws, they cleave seawater, or even air, right in two."

…How does one "cleave air in two?" Anyway, since we drew attention to ourselves, it was I who ended up battling Guzma.

I sent out my shiny Fomantis to battle the big water bug, but Fomantis got instantly knocked out by a powerful attack I never saw before. It's a bug-type move called First Impression, which only works at the beginning of battle, but is very powerful. So I had a few of my other Pokémon battle, but each was defeated. Finally I had Staryu use Hydro Vortex, which activated Golisopod's ability called Emergency Exit, which caused it to switch out with Guzma's other Pokémon, which was an Ariados. Ariados was easily defeated with Staryu's Psychic, and then it finished off Golisopod with Brine.

After the battle, Guzma and Team Skull took off. Lillie and Acerola observed the battle, and Acerola said that if I wanted to have another island trial, to travel south along the east coast of the island to a place called Tapu Village. Professor Kukui also gave me another Z-Crystal, Decidium Z, which he said would be useful once my Dartrix evolves. So I took a brief rest at the Pokémon Center, then headed out onto Route 11.

Route 11 was a fairly short route that led to the east coast of Ula'ula Island. I battled a few trainers and wild Pokémon. There were wild Trumbeak, Pancham, and I even saw a wild Pangoro.

"Pangoro, the Daunting Pokémon, and the evolved form of Pancham. A fighting and dark-type. Pangoro boast superb physical strength. From the slight twitches of their bamboo leaf, they deduce their opponents' movements. They're eager to tussle but kindhearted towards their companions. Those who wish to become their trainers have no choice but to converse with their fists."

I spent a lot of time on the route, giving my Pokémon some experience. But I came across something I never saw before. It looked like a sleeping koala that was holding onto a log very tightly. Even though it appeared to be asleep, it was moving around! Rotom, who's that Pokémon?

"Komala, the Drowsing Pokémon. A normal-type. Komala are born asleep, and they die asleep. All their movements are no more than the results of them tossing and turning in their dreams. The log they hold was given to them by their parents at birth. They have also been known to cling to the arm of a friendly trainer."

I definitely have to catch this new Pokémon! I tried throwing a few Poké Balls, but it easily broke out. And it was using some attacks too… its Slam packed a strong punch! It also kept putting my Pokémon to sleep with Yawn. I even had my Grimer use Infestation to trap it, but it used Rapid Spin to break free. So I had my Skarmory use Swift to weaken it a bit. It took a little while, but I eventually caught the Komala!

146. Komala
775.png

I found a Zygarde Cell along the route as well (40%).

October 31, 2017

I really wish I was at the site of my next trial, because a ghost-type trial sounds perfect for Halloween! Guess it'll be a little while yet. But I did move on to Route 12, where I saw Hapu and her Mudsdale. She said the terrain along the route is too rough for most Pokémon and people to walk on, but Mudsdale have the tough, thick hooves to withstand it. So she added the ability to call Mudsdale to my Ride Pager so I could travel across the route! It kind of reminds me of the path in Kalos that leads to Glittering Cave, where I needed to ride on a Rhyhorn to get to.

I found a Zygarde Cell nearby as I rode over the terrain on Mudsdale (41%).

There were some wild Pokémon that made this rough area their home. The first one I came across was a wild Geodude! I'm excited to get to train an Alolan version of this otherwise familiar Pokémon. I had Trubbish weaken it with Infestation, and then easily caught it in a Poké Ball. I can't wait to see its Alolan evolved forms.

147. Geodude
074-a.png

There were some wild Mudbray as well in the area, and for a while those were the only two Pokémon I encountered. Then I saw a familiar Pokémon, a wild Torkoal! I had Skarmory weaken it with a few Aerial Ace attacks, and then caught it with a single Poké Ball.

"Torkoal, the Coal Pokémon. A fire-type. Torkoal use coal as their source of energy. Large amounts of coal can be found in the mountains where they live. If the fire burning within their shell goes out, they will die. Those who wish to raise one in their home must always keep something flammable at hand."

148. Torkoal
324.png

Finally, after several more wild Pokémon battles, I found yet another familiar Pokémon, a little Elekid! This one did not want to get caught though. It took many of my Pokémon to weaken it, and it knocked out a few of them thanks to some of its friends it kept calling. It took over a dozen Poké Balls, but I finally caught it!

"Elekid, the Electric Pokémon. An electric-type. Elekid are constantly fighting with Togedemaru that try to steal their electricity. It's a pretty even match. When they're in houses, electrical outlets serve as their baby bottles as they suck down electricity."

149. Elekid
239.png

A Togede-whatsu?

November 1, 2017

I had a tag battle against a pair of trainers who used a Pancham and a Krokorok!

"Krokorok, the Desert Crok Pokémon. A ground and dark-type. Krokorok move in groups of a few individuals. A female is often the leader of the group, and the males will gather food. Thanks to the special membrane covering their eyes, they can see their surroundings clearly, even in the middle of the night."

I then found yet another Zygarde cell nearby sitting on a rock (42%).

I battled more Pokémon trainers, including a scientist who used a Porygon and a Magneton!

"Porygon, the Virtual Pokémon. A normal-type. Porygon can convert their bodies into digital data, which enables them to enter cyberspace. Roughly 20 years ago, they were artificially created, utilizing the latest technology of the time."

"Magneton, the Magnet Pokémon, and the evolved form of Magnemite. An electric and steel-type. Magneton have about three times the electrical power of Magnemite. When three Magnemite link together, their brains also become one. They do not become three times more intelligent. For some reason, outbreaks of this Pokémon happen when lots of sunspots appear."

I finished up when I reached a beach on the route called the Secluded Shore, and I found a Zygarde cell on the sand in the shade of the cliff (43%).

Later that evening, I explored the small secluded shore, battling some trainers and finding another Zygarde cell (44%). I then returned to the Pokémon Center in Malie City to give my team a rest. I then had Finneon, Chansey, Pelipper, and Charjabug transferred to me.

OffRoadSP

Years
November 21, 2017

After a few week hiatus, I'm back to my Alola journey. (There's so much to do before moving on to USUM…) From Route 12, I followed signs to Blush Mountain, where the Alola Geothermal Power Plant is located. This facility provides a lot of clean energy to the region. Outside, I found a Zygarde cell lying around (45%). Inside was a museum where visitors could about the power plant and how it works. There were also some displays of familiar power plants I've previously visited in Kanto and Kalos.

I also ran into Samson Oak inside, who was asking about how my Pokédex completion was coming along. In addition to a Lure Ball from Johto, he gave me three Pokémon eggs, which he said should help me complete my Pokédex! All three eggs hatched soon after, into a Porygon, and large red Pokémon with a shell on its back, and a Rufflet. Rotom, who's the cool-looking new Pokémon?

"Turtonator, the Blast Turtle Pokémon. A fire and dragon-type. Turtonator gush fire and poisonous gases from their nostrils. The shell on their back is chemically unstable and explodes violently if struck. Their dung is an explosive substance and can be put to various uses. The hole in their stomach is their weak point."

150. Porygon
137.png

151. Turtonator
776.png

152. Rufflet

627.png

"You've made it over the hump for the Alola Pokédex!" Rotom exclaimed. "You're rolling along azzz smooth as a Poké Ball!"

It's true, but I'm slightly disappointed that after a year I'm *only* half way completed with the Pokédex.
I spent some time training my team on Blush Mountain, and even got to test out my new Electrium-Z by having Charjabug use Gigavolt Havoc. I then came across another new Pokémon! It was a small, white ball with little spikes it would raise from its body. Who's that Pokémon?

"Togedemaru, the Roly-Poly Pokémon. An electric and steel-type. Togedemaru have spiny fur on their back. When they become agitated, their fur stands on end and stabs into their attackers. These long hairs on their back act as lightning rods. The bolts of lightning they attract are stored as energy in their electric sac."

Ah, so it's the obligatory cute electric-type of the region. I battled a handful of them, until I was finally able to weaken and catch one!

153. Togedemaru
777.png

I finished training my current team, which helped Finneon evolve into Lumineon, and Chansey evolve into Blissey!

"Lumineon, the Neon Pokémon, and the evolved form of Finneon. A water-type. Lumineon live at the bottom of the sea. Their fins haul them over the seabed in search of their favorite food, Starmie. With their shining light, they lure their prey close. However, the light also happens to attract ferocious fish Pokémon that are their natural predators."

"Blissey, the Happiness Pokémon, and the evolved form of Chansey. A normal-type. Blissey have a fluffy fur coat that acts as a sensor, enabling them to read the feelings of people and Pokémon. Even the most ferocious Pokémon become calm when they eat their egg, which is said to be filled with happiness."

154. Lumineon
457.png

155. Blissey

242.png

I then rotated out my Pokémon for Gyarados, Wishiwashi, Psyduck, and Goldeen. The wild Pokémon on Blush Mountain were easy opponents for this team, except for a few electric-types among them. After thoroughly training that team, I rotated in Magnemite, Fomantis, Beldum, and Dugtrio.

I returned to the Secluded Shore off of Route 12 to do some fishing. I found some pearls, but most importantly I found a Prism Scale, which will come in very handy next time I'm training my Feebas.

November 22, 2017

I continued to to fish in the bay of the Secluded Shore, hooking mostly wild Magikarp and Wishiwashi. Eventually I hooked a new Pokémon! It was a multicolored fish with large, sharp teeth and unusually long eyelashes. I immediately tossed a Dive Ball and caught it! Who's that Pokémon?

"Bruxish, the Gnash Teeth Pokémon. A water and psychic-type. Bruxish stun their prey with psychokinesis and then grinds them to mush with their strong teeth. Even Shellder's shell is no match for them. When they unleash their psychic power from the protuberance on their head, the grating sound of grinding teeth echoes through the area."

156. Bruxish
779.png

When I was walking past the Geothermal Power Plant, I saw an Elekid running around on the other side of a fence. I took some photos with the Poké Finder, and got a new record of thumbs up from the views (over 6000)!

I decided to press on in my exploration of Ula'ula Island, following the path heading west along the southern part of the island which lead to Route 13. The route was an oasis at the end of the rocky path of Route 12, as there was a desert that stretched more inland. Hau was there, and he was talking excitedly about winning his trial against Sophocles. Suddenly, Gladion showed up, and was speaking ominously about something. He said Team Skull was looking for a Pokémon called Cosmog, and asked if we knew anything about it. Hau's expression let it slip that we did know something, so Gladion left us with a warning that we can't let Team Skull find it. Hau and I looked at each other, acknowledging that we should protect Lillie and Nebby.

I explored the oasis a bit, finding a Zygarde cell nearby (46%), and other than that there was just a lot of Pokémon trainers resting from their travels. I looked up at one of the hills in the direction of the desert, and saw a Pokémon walking along the cliffs. I used the Poké Finder to take some pictures, and saw that it was a little wild Gible!

"Gible, the Land Shark Pokémon. A dragon and ground-type. Gible live in caves warmed by geothermal heat. When prey or enemies pass by, they leap out and chomp them. The force of their attack sometimes chips their teeth. When the weather gets cold, they will huddle close with others of their kind."

I guess finding one here makes sense, since there is plenty of geothermal energy found in this area.

Later that evening, I made it to Tapu Village. It got its name from the fact that this is where the guardian of Ula'ula Island, a Pokémon called Tapu Bulu, appeared to protect the nearby Mount Lanakila. In the process, however, a part of the village was destroyed. It is because of this that the beach of Route 14 has black sand, and the nearby Abandoned Thrifty Megamart is now home to many ghost-type Pokémon.

I explored the small village, and saw construction crews heading on the path to Mount Lanakila, probably working on building the Pokémon League that Professor Kukui was talking about. I battled a few trainers on nearby Route 14 as well. One of them had a Gabite, which my Beldum was able to, literally, Take Down. And after the battle, my Beldum evolved into Metang!

"Gabite, the Cave Pokémon, and the evolved form of Gible. A dragon and ground-type. Gabite have a passion for shiny objects. They can be found in their caves, scarcely moving, their gazes fixed on the jewels they've amassed or Carbink they have caught. In rare cases, they mold and shed their scales. Medicine containing these scales as an ingredient will make a weary body feel invigorated."

157. Metang
375.png

Between Route 13, Tapu Village, and Route 14, I found four more Zygarde cells, bringing my total to 50. I wonder how these will come together to form Zygarde? If I remember correctly, Sina and Dexio said there should be a place here on Ula'ula Island where I can learn more.

While I was battling the wild Pokémon around Tapu Village, I discovered a wild Snorunt! I guess I shouldn't be surprised to find ice-types this close to the snow covered Mount Lanakila. After weakening it a bit, I caught it with a critical capture!

"Snorunt, the Snow Hat Pokémon. An ice-type. Snorunt can only survive in cold areas. They bounce happily around, even in environments as cold as -150 degrees Fahrenheit. Their numbers seem to have rapidly increased in Alola. Custom has it that houses where they live will be prosperous for generations to come."

158. Snorunt
361.png

I'm trying to train my team, but the wild Raticate and Pelipper repeatedly knock out most of my Pokémon, so I may have to find a different area to train in. Either that or this will be very tedious; well, at least there's a Pokémon Center right here.

As the sun rose, I started battling wild Gumshoos instead of Raticate, but the rain that was falling still made the wild Pelipper tough to battle. Soon my Magnemite evolved into Magneton!

159. Magneton
082.png

I eventually came across a wild Absol, which I caught easily after my Dugtrio weakened it.

160. Absol
359.png

Immediately after that, I found a… white Sandshrew? Looks like another familiar Pokémon has an Alolan form! Rotom, what kind of Sandshrew is this?

"Sandshrew, the Mouse Pokémon. An ice and steel-type. Sandshrew live on snowy mountains. Their steel shell is very hard; so much so, they can't roll their body up into a ball. An ancient tradition of Alolan festivals, still carried on to this day, is a competition to slide them across ice asa far as one can."

Ice and steel-type? Awesome! Can't wait to try it out in battle. But first I have to catch it. I just started throwing Poké Balls, and after a few I finally caught it!

161. Sandshrew
027-a.png

A few encounters later I found another Snorunt, and this one was female. I tossed a Repeat Ball and immediately caught it!

I gave my team a rest and had Crabrawler, Cottonee, Ledian, and Minior sent to me. Sadly, this was a tough team to train, having to run back to the Pokémon Center after every encounter or two. But, they all got a turn battling, and then I had Castform, Oricorio, Ariados, and Fearow rotated in.

November 23, 2017

While I was training my Castform, its Hail had an interesting side effect. While we were battling some wild Sandshrew, suddenly a Vanillite appeared! After knocking out the Sandshrew, I focused on catching the Vanillite, and snagged it after a few Poké Balls!

"Vanillite, the Fresh Snow Pokémon. An ice-type. Vanillite are born of icicles, and they use their frosty breath to make ice crystals, causing snow to fall. They feel pleasantly cool when embraced. They are treasured by household in warm regions."

162. Vanillite
582.png

My Staryu learned a new move as well. Instead of Camoflage, it can now use Reflect Type, which gives it much better flexibility when changing its type for different situations.

December 5, 2017

I really don't know why these large gaps in training keep happening. Anyway, I took out another group of Pokémon: Toucannon, Mudbray, Raticate, and Poliwhirl.

I ventured onto Route 15, where I battled a trainer and found a Zygarde cell on the beach (51%).

OffRoadSP

Years
December 6, 2017

Hau and I stopped in the Aether House on Route 15. A pair of kids stopped us immediately when we entered and challenged us to a battle. Afterwards, Acerola showed up and introduced herself as one of the Trial Captain on Ula'Ula Island! She stated that if we wanted to challenge her trial, we should meet at the abandoned market near Tapu Village. After getting a tour of the Aether House, where apparently orphaned kids and Pokémon were taken care of, and where I found a Zygarde cell tucked in a corner (52%), I left to get ready for my next island trial.

When I exited the Aether House, I saw Lillie, who was apparently being harassed by a Team Skull grunt! He saw something move in Lillie's bag, so he was trying to steal it. I jumped in, and he sent out a Drowzee to battle me, but my Mudbray easy defeated it with some High Horsepower. And the battle caused Mudbray to evolve into Mudsdale!

"Mudsdale, the Draft Horse Pokémon, and the evolved form of Mudbray. A ground-type. Mudsdale use heavy, mud-covered kicks as their best means of attack, and they can reduce large trucks to scrap without breaking a sweat. They spit a mud that provided resistance to both wind and rain, so the walls of old houses were often coated with it."

163. Mudsdale
750.png

The grunt ran off. Acerola offered to let Lillie recover from her attempted mugging in at the Aether House. I told Acerola that I would rest a bit at the Pokémon Center, then meet her on Route 14 for my Island Trial!

Once I was ready, I met Acerola outside the Abandoned Thrifty Megamart. She said my trial would begin when I entered the building. Since the building is abandoned, it has become the home of many wild ghost-type Pokémon. My task was to take pictures of these prankster Pokémon with the Poké Finder, to hopefully lure out the Totem Pokémon.

Trial Start!

Upon entering the building, it looked like your standard ruined store that you would see in any post-apocalyptic movie. I walked around a bit, and suddenly one of the conveyor belts at one of the checkouts started to move. I walked over to it, and didn't see anything around that would have activated it. So I fired up the Poké Finder, and looked through the lens, and saw a Gastly hovering above the belt! It attacked due to being discovered. I sent out my Staryu, which easily knocked it out with a single Psychic attack.

After the battle, I thought I saw something dart by out of the corner of my eye. Was that a Pikachu? So I continued to explore, until a nearby shopping cart started to rattle. Once again there was nothing present to the naked eye, but the Poké Finder revealed a Haunter goofing around with the cart! Once again I had Staryu use Psychic. Despite Staryu taking a Sucker Punch, the Haunter was still knocked out easily.

As I moved towards the back of the store, some Pokémon plushies started to float in the air. It looks like the evolutionary set of this ghost-type Pokémon is complete, as it was a Gengar causing that mischief! Staryu once again was able to defeat this opponent with a single Psychic attack.

"Gengar, the Shadow Pokémon, and the evolved form of Haunter. A ghost and poison-type. Gengar apparently wish for traveling companions. Since they were once human themselves, they try to create some by taking the live of other humans. Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of one approaching. There is no escaping it. Give up."

That's… creepy. Wait, Gengar were once humans???

Staryu tries to catch my attention by motioning to the back of the store. That Pikachu I saw before ran through a set of doors. So of course, I followed. I entered a very empty, very small room with no other exits. On the walls were hand drawn pictures of people playing happily with Pikachu. I thought I heard a Pokémon cry, but it isn't one I recognize. I look around and there's no Pokémon there. The Poké Finder activates by itself. I look through it, and see that blocking the door is a… Pikachu? No, wait, it looks like something just wearing a Pikachu costume. But it is the Totem Pokémon! Rotom, what is it?

"Mimikyu, the Disguise Pokémon. A ghost and fairy-type. Disguised Form. Mimikyu are lonely Pokémon who conceal their terrifying appearance beneath an old rag so it can get closer to people and other Pokémon. Their actual appearance is unknown. A scholar who saw what was under the rag was overwhelmed by terror and died from the shock."

The Totem Mimikyu immediately attacked, and knocked out my Staryu with a Play Rough attack. So I sent out Toucannon, and while Totem Mimikyu called for help as well. A Haunter appeared as its backup. I had Toucannon heat up its beak for a Beak Blast. Haunter used Hypnosis to put Toucannon to sleep, but it managed to quickly shake it off. Totem Mimikyu attacked Toucannon with Play Rough, while Haunter kept trying to support with Hypnosis. Toucannon connected with Beak Blast and… it did nothing?? Well, it did no damage, but suddenly Mimikyu's head slumped to the side as though it had no neck.

"I can explain!" yelled Rotom. "Mimikyu hazzz an ability called Disguise. It preventz any damage until you break the disguise!"

"Mimikyu, the Disguise Pokémon. A ghost and fairy-type. Busted Form. Mimikyu go to all the effort of disguising themselves, then their neck was broken. Whatever is inside is probably unharmed, but they're still feeling sad. If this happens or if their rag is torn during an attack, they work through the night to patch it."

That's very cool, but very sad! I hope I get a chance to catch one.

Toucannon was hanging in there, shaking off another Hypnosis and dodging a few Play Rough attacks. It fired up its beak again, allowing Totem Mimikyu to make contact with Play Rough, causing the Mimikyu to get burned! That should weaken it a… oh, wait, it pulls a Lum Berry out from under its rag and eats it to heal the burn. Great. At least Beak Blast hit for a little damage.

Unfortunately, Toucannon was reaching its limit. It heated up its beak again, but Haunter knocked it out with a Sucker Punch. At least it left Haunter with a burn.

I tried sending out Fomantis, but it was immediately knocked out by Play Rough.

Next I sent out my Raticate. It was able to nimbly dodge both Play Rough and Hypnosis. (Do these opponents know any other moves?) I had it use Crunch on Haunter, quickly knocking it out. Unfortunately, that left my Raticate open to being knocked out by a super effective Play Rough.

That's four of my Pokémon down. I decide to send out my recently evolved Mudsdale, and Totem Mimikyu calls for another ally; this time, it was a Gengar. I think I noticed that Alolan Gengar don't have Levitate as an ability, so that should help. Mudsdale was definitely the slower Pokémon, and took a Play Rough and a Night Shade attack, but its defense was very impressive. I had it retaliate with Bulldoze, and it looked like it knocked out both Pokémon, but the Totem was just barely hanging in there! Unfortunately, I learned what Gengar's replacement ability was. My Mudsdale's Bulldoze was disabled due to Gengar's Cursed Body. Totem Mimikyu used Mimic to copy Bulldoze, but it was too late. I had my Mudsdale use High Horsepower, and it knocked out the Totem with an overkill critical hit! Mudsdale neighed in victory, and I exited the store to meet Acerola.

Outside, Acerola examined the pictures I took with the Poké Finder, congratulating me on finding and defeating Totem Mimikyu. She awarded me the Ghostium Z Z-Crystal, gave me a handful of Dusk Balls, and said that I could now freely enter the Abandoned Thrifty Megamart to catch any wild Pokémon if I wanted! So I returned to the Pokémon Center to give my Pokémon a well-deserved rest.

…Did I see a Mimikyu walking along the fence?

Before I went to sleep, I wanted to catch at least one new Pokémon. I returned to the Thrifty Megamart, and found some wild Haunter and wild Golbat living there. Then I had what I thought was an odd encounter: a wild Klefki! Although I continually think that Klefki is a ghost-type, I know it's not. Well, I guess Golbat isn't either. It took a while, and several SOS encounters, (and a FAILED critical capture) but I finally caught one!

"Klefki, the Key Ring Pokémon. A steel and fairy-type. Klefki insert their horn into chinks in metal, absorbing metal ions. They are even-tempered and have a habit of collecting keys. They will sneak into people's homes to steal their keys."

164. Klefki
707.png

Later that evening, I chose four more Pokémon to train: Petilil, Slowpoke #2, Goomy, and Poliwag. I returned to the abandoned building, and fought a bunch of wild Pokémon, until I finally found a pair of wild Mimikyu! I had Petilil use Stun Spore on one and weaken it, and then used one of the Dusk Balls I was given to catch it!

165. Mimikyu
778.png

Acerola said that there were no other new Pokémon for me to find there, so I returned to the Pokémon Center. I rotated out my Pokémon for Araquanid, Haunter, Golbat, and Masquerain. The next spot I wanted to check out was an area off of Route 13. There was a path that leads to the center of Ula'ula Island, which is apparently a large desert where a sandstorm perpetually blows about. It's called the Haina Desert, and I'm sure there's some Pokémon for me to catch there!

So I enter the desert, and I immediately see a wild Sandile! I had Araquanid weaken it a bit, and a few Poké Balls later and I caught it fairly easily.

"Sandile, the Desert Croc Pokémon. A ground and dark-type. Sandile submerge and conceal themselves in the sand and move as if swimming. This wise behavior keeps their enemies from finding them and maintaining their temperature. They chomp down on the legs of any prey that unwarily walk over them. Their favorite food is Trapinch."

166. Sandile
551.png

Since I had my Haunter with me, I got to try out a new Z-Move thanks to my Ghostium Z: Never-Ending Nightmare. The move sends a shadow out to the opposing Pokémon, and several shadowy hands reach up and grab the Pokémon. I can't help but be reminded of the "Shadow" in the Fate/Stay Night visual novel I'm reading.

It's difficult to navigate the desert with the sandstorm, but I did find a Zygarde cell along the way (53%).

As I continued to explore, I battled many other wild Sandile as well as wild Dugtrio. Eventually, I reached a dead end that had a pedestal. On the pedestal was a Z-Crystal! Was an Island Trial once held here? I expected it to be a ground-type Z-Crystal, but it was actually Psychium Z! I added it to me Z-Ring, and returned to the sandstorm.

I found a wild Trapinch that was burrowed in the sand! I had Masquerain use Stun Spore and easily caught it.

"Trapinch, the Ant Pit Pokémon. A ground-type. Trapinch can live for a week without eating a thing. They wait patiently at the bottom of their nest for prey to appear. As they dig through the sand, their giant jaws crush any rocks that obstruct their path. They build a funnel-shaped nest."

167. Trapinch
328.png

Eventually I came to a clearing, where I found some ruins. These were the ruins that Lillie was looking for, the Ruins of Abundance, where people of Ula'ula Island go to thank their guardian Pokémon, Tapu Bulu. I found a Zygarde cell nearby (54%), and then made my way back to the Pokémon Center at Tapu Village.

December 7, 2017

I continued to train in the Haina Desert, and once again found myself at the Ruins of Abundance. I spotted a Pokémon egg out of the corner of my eye. I took it with me, and it hatched into a Gible!

168. Gible
443.png

While I was resting at the Pokémon Center, Acerola stopped by. She said they had a Pokémon egg at the Aether House that she wanted me to take care of. I accepted. As I went out to train my team, it soon hatched into a Vulpix! But this Vulpix was white as snow, not red like I'm used to. Rotom, is this another Alolan variation?

"Vulpix, the Fox Pokémon. An ice-type. Vulpix exhale air colder than -58 degrees Fahrenheit. In hot weather, they make ice shards with their six tails and sprays them around to cool themselves off. Elderly people in Alola call them by an older name: Keokeo."

169. Vulpix
037-a.png

Awesome, so Vulpix are ice-types in Alola! I guess it's safe to say Fire Stones aren't used to evolve them!
I finished training that team and then rotated in Ditto, Parasect, Slowpoke #1, and Meowth.

December 8, 2017

While I was training in Tapu Village, my Meowth evolved! Although Alolan Persian looks like something out of Garfield, it should still be fun to battle with!

"Persian, the Classy Cat Pokémon, and the evolved form of Meowth. A dark-type. Persian look down on everyone other than themselves. Their round face and smooth coat, softer than the most high-class velvet, have made them very popular in Alola. Their preferred tactics are sucker punches and blindside attacks."

170. Persian
053-a.png

Years
I love Alolan-Ninetales. Probably my favorite 'new' Pokemon from Gen 7. I immediately made a team around him and Alolan-Sandshrew. They need their hidden abilities to really shine though.

OffRoadSP

Years
I've been excited to catch both of those as well. It'll be a while before I'll get to evolve them. I would love to try a team built around both Ninetales each with their hidden abilities. I feel that would be niche, but interesting!

Also thank you for commenting so I know people actually care to read this. :)

December 11, 2017

I rotated in the final group of Pokémon for this rotation: Ribombee, Gumshoos, Tentacool, and Cleffa.

December 12, 2017

After treating it to a Lomi Lomi Massage in Konikoni City, as well as several treats from the Friendship Café at the Festival Plaza, my Cleffa evolved into Clefairy!

171. Clefairy
035.png

My Staryu learned a new move as well. Instead of Swift, it can now use Power Gem, giving it some more type coverage.

And finally, my Tentacool evolved into Tentacruel!

"Tentacruel, the Jellyfish Pokémon, and the evolved form of Tentacool. A water and poison-type. Tentacruel normally have 80 poisonous tentacles. The longer one has been alive, the fewer tentacles it will have. Although they are rare, when a large outbreak of them occurs, all fish Pokémon disappear from the surrounding area."

172. Tentacruel
073.png

And so that completes that training rotation. Since I seem to have nearly all the Pokémon available from Ula'ula Island (looks like I'm only missing two), I'll do one final rotation with my Ula'ula Pokémon as I explore the rest of the island. It appears I have the whole western side of the island to check out yet. Mount Lanakila is blocked off for now while the Pokémon League is under construction. So I'll plan out my rotation of Pokémon (which looks like it will be 15 groups of four and a group of three, plus my two shiny Pokémon continuously) and then head over to the Aether House on Route 15.

OffRoadSP

Years
December 13, 2017

The first group of the new rotation will be Persian, my female Snorunt, Castform, and Grimer.

The first order of business was evolving my Snorunt. I have several Dawn Stones from my Pokémon searching the caves on Isle Aphun (as well as a ton of other evolutionary stones), so I gave one to Snorunt and it evolved into Froslass!

"Froslass, the Snow Land Pokémon, and an evolved form of Snorunt. An ice and ghost-type. Froslass are souls of women lost on snowy mountains that possessed icicles. When they find humans or Pokémon they like, they freeze them and take them to their chilly dens, where they become decorations. The food they most relish are the souls of men."

173. Froslass
478.png

Geez, Rotom. That description sent a shiver down my spine…

I headed over to the Aether House on Route 15. As I approached, I saw Acerola and Hau battling some Team Skull grunts! When I ran over to help, a familiar Team Skull Admin stopped me. It was Plumeria. She sent out her Golbat, so I sent out Persian to battle. Golbat won that battle, thanks to Confuse Ray and some critical hits with Air Cutter. So I sent out Froslass and it defeated her Golbat with some super effective ice-type attacks. Next she sent out her Salandit… which, actually, seems to have evolved into a Salazzle since our last battle! A single Flame Burst was all it took to knock out Froslass. Thankfully, my Castform was able to cool things off with a Rain Dance and won the battle with a rain-powered Weather Ball.

Despite winning the battle, Team Skull was successful in their objective. They stole the Yungoos that belong to the kids at the Aether House. Plumeria said that if I want it back, I'd have to come to Po Town. According to Plumeria, Team Skull has pretty much taken over Po Town, which is located on the northwestern part of Ula'ula Island. So I went back to the Pokémon Center to rest and plan my next move.

The next morning, I returned to Route 15. I used the Ride Pager to call a Lapras to surf around the Route, but there were several large rocks blocking the way to the next route. I heard someone calling out to me from the beach. I returned to land and saw a familiar face. It was Grimsley, one of the Elite Four from the Unova region! He specializes in dark-types. I remember my pair of shiny bug-type partners during my Unova journey, Joltik and Karrablast, did extremely well against him. They battled alongside my Braviary and Larvesta, who evolved into Volcarona after the battle. He was the final member of the Elite Four I challenged. Someday, I'm going to return to Unova, and re-challenge the Elite Four, and have a proper battle against Alder, the Unova Champion.

Memories aside, Grimsley was able to help me out by registering Sharpedo to my Ride Pager. Sharpedo can surf faster than Lapras, and can also destroy rocks that may be in the way. I thanked him, and left with a promise to battle again someday.

As I journeyed the waterways of Route 15, I battled an Ace Trainer who used a Vulpix, Haunter, and Wigglytuff!

"Wigglytuff, the Balloon Pokémon, and the evolved form of Jigglypuff. A normal and fairy-type. Wigglytuff expand as they inhale, and complete to see which one can inflate itself the most. They shed their fine fur when the seasons change. The fur is gathered and spun into a luxurious yarn."

I stuck around the route, training my team. I also tried out my Psychium Z with my Staryu, and got to see it use the powerful Z-Move Shattered Psyche! After a while of battling, I returned to Tapu Village and swapped out my Pokémon for Wishiwashi, Klefki, Bruxish, and Clefairy. I think the Abandoned Thrifty Megamart would be a better place to train this group.

December 14, 2017

That was a fun group to train. Bruxish impressed me with its high attack power, and its Strong Jaw ability made its Crunch attack pretty devastating. And Wishwashi still amuses me with its Schooling ability. Once I finished with them, I had Araquanid, Dugtrio, Poliwhirl, and Minior sent over to me.
Later that evening, I rotated in Poliwag, Tentacruel, Sandile, and Ledian.

December 18, 2017

After a few long days at work, I continued my training with Slowpoke #1, Gumshoos, Ribombee, and Blissey.

In the morning, I brought out the next group of Pokémon: Vanillite, Sandshrew, Mimikyu, and Oricorio. I decided it was time to finish exploring Route 15. I battled a lot of wild Pokémon and Pokémon trainers, including a pair of trainers on a beach who challenged me to a tag battle. They used a Golduck and a Slowbro!

"Golduck, the Duck Pokémon, and the evolved form of Psyduck. A water-type. Golduck swim along the banks of lakes and catch fish Pokémon. They take them to the shore and quietly eat them up. It is said that the red part of their forehead grants supernatural powers to those who possess one, so they were over-hunted in the past."

"Slowbro, the Hermit Crab Pokémon, and an evolved form of Slowpoke. A water and psychic-type. Slowbro space out while gazing at the sea. With Shellder's poison flowing through their body, they become even spacier. Whenever this Shellder bites down hard on their tail, it gives them a flash of inspiration, which they forget a moment later."

After that I finally proceeded to Route 16. Outside the Pokémon Center, I found a Zygarde Cell (55%), and then I went in and gave my Pokémon to Nurse Joy for some treatment.

While my Pokémon were being healed, I stopped by the Aether Base that was just outside the Pokémon Center. Inside were my old friends Sina and Dexio, who were eager to see how many Zygarde Cells were in my Zygarde Cube. The Aether Base had a Reassembly Unit, which would help make use of what I gathered.

"The machine is capable of assembly and separation of Zygarde," Sina instructed.

"For your information," Dexio added, "According to Professor Sycamore's research, Zygarde is divided into 100 Cells and Cores. But if Zygarde is said to maintain the order of the Kalos region, then why is it in Alola?"

After showing me how to use the machine, the pair left to continue their research in Alola. Meanwhile, I inserted the Zygarde Cube into the Reassembly Unit, and… a new Zygarde was assembled before my eyes! Surprisingly, it's even in the Alola Pokédex!

"Zygarde, the Order Pokémon. A dragon and ground-type. This is Zygarde's form when it has gathered 50% of its cells. It wipes out all those who oppose it, showing not a shred of mercy. It's thought to be monitoring the ecosystem. There are rumors that an even greater power lies hidden within it."

174. Zygarde
718.png

The three Cores I found also have a special effect. If one of those Cores makes up part of Zygarde, it grants it a new move. The Cores I have so far allow Zygarde to use Extreme Speed, Thousand Arrows, and Dragon Dance. Thousand Arrows is an interesting move, because it's a ground-type move that can apparently hit flying-type Pokémon! It also knows its signature move of Land's Wrath.

December 19, 2017

After checking out the small area of Route 16, I continued along a path that led to a huge meadow of red flowers. This is Ula'ula Meadow. I used the Poké Finder to take some pictures, and spotted a new form of Oricorio. Rotom, what type is this one?

"Oricorio, the Dancing Pokémon. Baile Style. A fire and flying-type. This Oricorio has sipped red nectar. They beat their wings together to create fire. As they move in the steps of their beautiful dance, they bathe opponents in intense flames. Their passionate dance moves cause their enemies to combust in both body and mind."

Soon after that, I battled a dancer who used a Baile Style Oricorio. It was an intense battle between her Oricorio and my Pa'u Style Oricorio. After I won the long battle, she showed me where to find some red nectar. I had my Oricorio try some, and it changed its form!

741.png

I found two more Zygarde Cells in the area (57%). After a bit more battling against wild Pokémon in the meadow, I rotated in Charjabug, Trubbish, Metang, and Lumineon.

December 31, 2017

After a few long weeks at work and a really fun Christmas, I spent some downtime on New Year's Eve catching up on my Pokémon training. I rang in the New Year in Ula'ula Meadow, relaxing among the red flowers. I also got to relax and read a little more of Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel, because it's one awesome visual novel!

January 1, 2018

Happy New Year, trainers! What do you think my Pokémon-related New Year's resolution is? To finish my Alola journey and catch all 300 Alolan Pokémon, of course! I have a second, more "Ultra" journey to complete once this one is done, so I don't want to take too much longer!

While I was in Ula'ula Meadow, an office worker wanted to challenge me to battle to celebrate the New Year. Nothing too exciting in her line-up, but it was the first Seaking I've seen in Alola.

"Seaking, the Goldfish Pokémon, and the evolved form of Goldeen. A water-type. Seaking react to the weather growing colder, as their whole body flushes a deep red. The sight serves as a poetic reminder that autumn has arrived. Trainers who are crazy for these Pokémon are divided into horn enthusiasts and fin enthusiasts. The two groups do not get along."

Time for the next group of Pokémon! I took Absol, Crabrawler, Slowpoke #2, and Torkoal with me. I battled another trainer in Ula'ula Meadow, and this one had a Komala and a Sneasel! Apparently, Sneasel are native to Ula'ula Island. Probably up on the cold Mount Lanakila, which I can't get to yet because they're building the Pokémon League there.

"Sneasel, the Sharp Claw Pokémon. A dark and ice-type. Sneasel have a cunning yet savage disposition. They wait for parents to leave their nests, and then they sneak in to steal their eggs. They use their claws to poke holes in the eggs so they can slurp out the insides. Breeders consider them a scourge and will drive them away or eradicate them."

After a bit of training that group, I rotated out for Gible, Toucannon, Pelipper, and Vulpix before heading out for the night.

January 4, 2018

I battled a golfer who had a pair of Pokémon that battled using a strategy using a Flame Orb. His Hariyama was able boost its attack with the Flame Orb due to its Guts ability, and the Alakazam used Trick to pass the Flame Orb to its opponent. My Toucannon was still able to easily defeat them.

"Alakazam, the Psi Pokémon, and the evolved form of Kadabra. A psychic-type. Alakazam are said to have an IQ of approximately 5,000. Their overflowing psychokinetic powers cause headaches to anyone nearby. Their brain cells continue to increase in number until their death. The older the Alakazam, the larger their head."

I then rotated in Snorunt, Elekid, Ditto, and Komala.

OffRoadSP

Years
January 9, 2018

While training my team in the Ula'ula Meadow, my Fomantis learned a new move. Leaf Blade just wasn't packing enough punch, since my Fomantis does better with special attacks than physical ones. So instead it learned to focus its energy and use Solar Beam! The one-turn delay may be a challenge, but if it can hang in there, it will do a good deal of damage.

I made a quick stop at the Pokémon Center, had Nurse Joy treat my Pokémon, and then had Psyduck, Skarmory, Togedemaru, and Trapinch sent to me. Time to move on to Route 17!

Route 17 is the path that leads to Po Town. There seem to be a lot of Team Skull grunts that like to hang out along this route. There is a police station on the route, but all I found inside were a bunch of Alolan Meowth. One of them seemed fascinated by something glowing… it's a Zygarde Core! I used the Zygarde Cube to absorb it. This Zygarde Core allows Zygarde to use the move Thousand Waves, a ground-type move that keeps its opponent from escaping. As I explored the route, I found two more Zygarde cells (60% total).

As I walked around, I battled some Team Skull grunts that were around, and checked out the wild Pokémon in the area. At first all I found were wild Gumshoos, and then I saw a wild Alolan Graveler for the first time! It looks like it has yellow rocks on its body, signifying its electric typing. Rotom, is there anything else different about this type of Graveler?

"Graveler, the Rock Pokémon, and the evolved form of Geodude. A rock and electric-type. Graveler eat rocks and often get into a scrap over them. Their preferred food is dravite. After they have eaten this mineral, crystals form inside them, rising to the surface of part of their body. The shock of them smashing together causes a flash of light and a booming noise."

When I returned to the Pokémon Center, I looked up "dravite" on one of the PC's. Interesting.

Before returning to Route 17, I stopped by the Aether Base with the Zygarde cube. There seemed to be enough cells to assemble another Zygarde. This one looked like a large dog! Rotomdex, do your thing!

"Zygarde, the Order Pokémon. A dragon and ground-type. This is Zygarde's form when about 10% of its cells have been gathered. It runs across the land at speeds greater than 60 mph. Its sharp fangs make short work of finishing off its enemies, but it's unable to maintain this body indefinitely. After a period of time, it falls apart."

718-10.png

I went back to Route 17, having my team battle the wild Fearow, Skarmory, Gumshoos, and Graveler, and it helped my Psyduck evolve into Golduck!

175. Golduck
055.png

After defeating a pair of Team Skull grunts blocking the entrance to Po Town in a double battle, I was approached by a middle-aged man who cautioned me not to go into Po Town. He said if I was determined to go inside, I should be prepared to either join Team Skull or defeat Team Skull. Of course it's to defeat them! But he scoffed at that idea, and said he'll pull my remains out when Team Skull is through with me. That's a little savage!

I hustled back to the Pokémon Center to give my Pokémon a rest and to get some sleep. I asked to have Fomantis, Masquerain, Geodude, and Fearow sent to me for later.

That evening, I started to explore the desolate town of Po Town. The town looks like it's been deserted for quite some time, and graffiti covers nearly every surface. Even the Pokémon Center is abandoned; except for a pair of Team Skull grunts that allow people to use what's left, for a small fee to cover their rent. I explored the whole town, and battled a bunch of Team Skull grunts (including one with an annoying Grimer who spammed Minimize and knocked out all six of my Pokémon because every attack missed). There's only one place left to explore in Po Town, and that's the giant mansion at the far end of town. I have some things to do today, so I decided to save that for tomorrow.

January 10, 2018

I'm almost done with the current rotation of Pokémon. But I still have so much more to go in my Alola journey! I can't wait to finish up exploring Ula'ula Island, but… I wonder where the Kahuna is? I need to figure that out if I want to have my Grand Trial and earn another Z-Crystal! Just eight more to go, not including Pokémon-specific ones. I'm predicting the Ula'ula Grand Trial will be ground, poison, or maybe even dark-type.

I decided to do some more training along Route 17, and my Fomantis evolved into Lurantis! It feels like years since I had my trial where I fought that Totem Lurantis…

176. Lurantis
754.png

In the evening I rotated out my team for Goldeen, Haunter, Parasect, and Ariados. I want to stay around Route 17 for a while longer before finishing my exploration of Po Town.

January 11, 2018

The rainy weather and wild Graveler on Route 17 made conditions perfect for my Goldeen to evolve into Seaking!

177. Seaking
119.png

Then I took Porygon, Petilil, Pancham, and Raticate out, and my Pancham evolved into Pangoro!

178. Pangoro
675.png

Since I was on a good roll, I finished the Ula'ula training rotation with Goomy, Turtonator, Magneton, Cottonee, Gyarados, Golbat, and Mudsdale. And my Golbat evolved into Crobat!

"Crobat, the Bat Pokémon, and the evolved form of Golbat. A poison and flying-type. Crobat are silent and swift in their four-winged flight. Both their legs became wings, and as a result, they can't move well on the ground. All they can do is crawl around. They bite down on their prey before they realize what's happening. In a heartbeat, they drain their blood."

179. Crobat
169.png

To finish things off, I found two more Zygarde cells outside the Shady House in Po Town (62% total).

January 12, 2018

As I sat in the Pokémon Center, I thought about how I wanted to proceed from here. I know I need to battle Team Skull to recover the Pokémon stolen from the Aether House. I also need to find out where they hold their Grand Trial on Ula'ula Island, not to mention find out who the Kahuna is! And, I have tons of Alola Pokémon to train and evolve.

Nurse Joy called me to the Pokémon Center counter and handed me my two Poké Balls, telling me that my Fomantis and Staryu are in excellent health. It's time to start a large rotation of all my Pokémon, so to start, I had Dartrix, Torracat, Pikachu, and Munchlax sent to me.

January 13, 2018

I entered the Shady House in Po Town, which was very clearly Team Skulls main headquarters… er, hangout. I battled many grunts inside, and eventually found the room where Team Skull's boss Guzma was. I told him I was here for the Yungoos, and he immediately challenged me to a battle! His line-up hadn't changed from our battle in Malie Garden. He led off with his Golisopod, and I sent out my Fomantis. That was a bad move, and I made the same mistake as last time. I forgot about Golisopod's First Impression, which slammed into Fomantis and sent it flying across the room. But my Pokémon hung on! It came back at Golisopod with a super effective Hidden Power, and was able to knock it out before it activated its Emergency Exit ability. With that out of the way, my Staryu was able to easily defeat Guzma's Ariados with Shattered Psyche.

After being defeated, he had one of his grunts had over the Yungoos, and then he stormed out of the room, with a promise to "beat me down one of these days" as he put it. Before I left the room, I noticed a chest overflowing with Z-Crystals. They were all the same. I picked one up and Rotom identified it as Buginium Z! Another Z-Crystal to add to my collection. I'll have to try it out with my Fomantis once it has recovered from its battle.

Dream_Buginium_Z_Sprite.png

After leaving the Shady House, I was approached by the somber guy who greeted me when I first arrived in Po Town. He congratulated me on defeating Team Skull. Acerola showed up too, and referred to the man as "Uncle Nanu." Despite his dismissal of Acerola's cheerful comments, I get the feeling the two of them are fairly close. Nanu lives here in Po Town and watches over the Pokémon, keeping Team Skull in check. Acerola took the freed Yungoos, and said to meet her back at the Aether House.

Back