• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moons.

Years
Moons are a pretty fascinating subject of astronomy, aren't they?

1JHIbyl.jpg

However, did you know that Earth's moon is not the only moon in our Solar System?

Ys51uZq.jpg

In fact, one moon is even thought to have water on it!

njNdxwy.jpg

So PC, what are your thoughts on those little satellites that orbit the planets? How different do you think the planets would be without moons orbiting them?

Years
They brighten our night sky and the tides would surely be a lot different without our moon. Sometimes I wonder if Europa could harbor underwater life, since it might contain water.

On a weird side note, I once had this dream of two earthly moons just floating in space. One was full and the other was crescent shaped, that dream had no sound. I wonder what it meant?

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think moon is there for reasons, for sure. Without it, we couldn't see the nice scenery of full moon. Besides of that, there might be no celebrations based on Lunar calendar if moon is not present the whole time, because they need to observe the moon's state to determine the Lunar date.

Years
We're lucky to have a moon. It's given us something to land people on and examine first-hand. From what I remember from science classes our moon has also kept the Earth fairly stable and non-wobbly, too. So, lucky us, having a moon.

It's also pretty lucky there are so many different kinds we've seen out there since it increases our chances of finding something like life on one of them.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
Before I start, I should note that Charon is no longer Pluto's only moon. It now has five moons: Charon, Hydra, Nix, Styx, and Kerberos. It's freaking awesome.

Continuing on, I absolutely love moons. I love our moon, and I love the other moons that orbit the planets in our solar system. I think it would be really cool if we had several moons instead of just the one we have but it's still very nice that we have the one we have. Though something bugs me concerning their names now that I think about it. Every other moon is named after Greek and Roman mythological characters, and ours for some reason is just called Moon, which is akin to naming a horse Horse or a dog Dog. There's at least three goddesses related to the moon I can name of the top of my head (Artemis, Selene, and Chang'e) so why isn't it named after one of them?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I like moons. It would be cool to see a moon with a moon, but idk if that's even possible. Also didn't know that about Pluto's moons, they have awesome names.

Years
Honestly I think our moon is one of the most interesting. It's abnormally large, plays a huge part in life being around and probably used to be a chunk of Theia.

Others that are particularly interesting are Europa, Iapetus, Ganymede, Enceladus, Io, Titan and Ravioli... I mean Pan.

blue

gucci
Years
I remember reading that Saturn has approximately 62 moons which is insane when you think about it just for a single planet. Titan is an interesting moon considering how it has a dense atmosphere and even an ocean.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
That is a hilarious shape for a moon. I wonder if there are any other odd shapes, aside from the ones everyone knows about :p

Years
I remember reading that Saturn has approximately 62 moons which is insane when you think about it just for a single planet. Titan is an interesting moon considering how it has a dense atmosphere and even an ocean.

It's not really that insane when you think about it. It's a huge planet with massive gravity that can catch objects travelling past and it's got rings upon rings of debris around it that can collide, coalesce and eventually form moons.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
That is a hilarious shape for a moon. I wonder if there are any other odd shapes, aside from the ones everyone knows about :p

Saturn has another one which is kinda cute for an inanimate space rock as well. Like many people I'm fascinate by the possibility of life under the surface of Europa.

As an aside anyone watch The Expanse? People settling the solar systems' natural satellites is a really interesting idea.

Years
For me Enceladus ( a beautiful ice orb of Saturn) is No.1. It might have underground ocean who knows :p The other moon I like is Triton ( orbits Neptune) Well Neptune didn't get much attention so i think it?s only fair to also include a moon from the brinks of our solar system :p

As an aside anyone watch The Expanse? People settling the solar systems' natural satellites is a really interesting idea.

Oooo Many friends recommended me that show.....I think I'll read novel instead of watching. But still, is it good? :p

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
For me Enceladus ( a beautiful ice orb of Saturn) is No.1. It might have underground ocean who knows :p The other moon I like is Triton ( orbits Neptune) Well Neptune didn't get much attention so i think it?s only fair to also include a moon from the brinks of our solar system :p

Oooo Many friends recommended me that show.....I think I'll read novel instead of watching. But still, is it good? :p

Yeah it's really good, I've not read the novels but as it only finished adapting the first book midway through the second season there's plenty of time for both.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Started watching The Expanse a while ago! Should continue.

As for moons, our own moon has basically been what we have evolved around on Earth. Our major calendar is based on it. The tides of the ocean have made lifeforms function a certain way, female humans have a menstruation cycle that has evolved to break out once a month, it's inspired countless stories and songs and religions...

There's no Earth as we know it without our moon. And that's pretty scary and fascinating at the same time.

I think in 2010: Oddyssey Two, it's Europa that gets transformed into a "new Earth". While I doubt there is life as we know it underneath its shell, its proximity to Jupiter could have made interesting things happen over the many years.

Years
When it comes to the different moons in the Solar System, I read something interesting about Minas when people first saw pictures of it. It happens to look like the first Death Star from the Star Wars franchise.
It would not surprise me one bit if the Death Star's design was based off of Mimas, to be honest.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
It would not surprise me one bit if the Death Star's design was based off of Mimas, to be honest.

I've always thought in terms of scale, that huge crater on our Moon makes it look like Star Wars might actually have been a prequel to reality. Obviously if you search of images of "The Moon" on the internet, thanks to how advanced a long-exposure photograph is in comparison to our eyes, there's barely any resemblance. But I think the differences in colouration between the Mare and surrounding surface make it look kinda like the Death Star to the naked eye (in the northern hemisphere at least).

Back