• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you use the Day Care to gain EXP?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I think I did that in LeafGreen once with my Blastoise and when I got it out it was missing a few of its really good moves :( Since then I've used the Day Care exclusively for breeding stuff and never really bothered with the EXP-by-walking features.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Back then, I usually put my pokes to the daycare so they will level up as I focus on the game, but they tend to remove certain move at random.

Years
I never did, it was always too slow, and some moves I liked were erased. They could have added an option to choose what moves to delete. I just use the daycare for breeding. If I want EXP, I'll just challenge the Elite Four.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I never did, it was always too slow, and some moves I liked were erased. They could have added an option to choose what moves to delete. I just use the daycare for breeding. If I want EXP, I'll just challenge the Elite Four.

You know they delete them in moveslot order right? So if you put a move as No. 4 it'll take over 10 levels before its even at risk usually.

I often use it to raise something I don't want in my team but has a specific use, i.e. getting Wailmer ready to be evolved in Emerald. In my current Emerald save I also have Ninjask and Shedinja in there getting raised to take on legendaries (waited to evolve them until they got False Swipe), but its slow going as Battle Frontier doesn't have me taking too many steps.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Oh, I do know, but sometimes all the moves on a Pokemon are useful. (Competitve moveset)

Oh yeah I get that - that's why you don't teach them your TMs (pre-Gen V) before they hit the level of their last move. The inability to re-learn egg moves is a constant frustration of mine, especially if I'm breeding an egg move pokémon post-game for challenging a rematch Elite Four as using Exp. Share to go from say lv. 5 to lv. 66 usually ends up with one of your pokémon ending up around lv. 85 and the others at the level you brought the weak one up to.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Nope just breeding! Way back when perhaps I may have done so when i felt like biking up and down for an hour in leafgreen but otherwise I didnt see the point especially since I couldn't choose the moves I wanted hehe

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Nah, felt like cheating and was disingenuous to the spirit of the game. I want to raise my Pokemon, not someone else. What kind of trainer would I be if I couldn't do the job?

Years
I'm pretty sure I did a few times years ago but it's just too slow and the removal of moves was annoying so I don't tend to anymore.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I never actually factored the time it took into my decision, haha. I just preferred to grind them myself and wanted to be sure they wouldn't lose their good moves. But yeah, it probably would take quite a while as well. I believe it's 1 EXP per step? Pretty slow.

Years
I did use it for a while in Ruby, but I didn't like how they kept replacing your moves as it levelled up. Thankfully Sun & Moon made it no longer an issue.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I've now been forced to consider a new use for Day Care - move deletion on purpose!

I decided to breed Curse onto a Munchlax by first breeding it from Turtwig onto a male baby Snorlax, then giving that Snorlax the Full Incense and my female Careful-nature Snorlax an Everstone so I could get that nature, but I realised raising a Lv. 1 pokémon was going to run through its moves fast so I taught it Strength...It hadn't forgotten Strength by the time it had made the egg!

So now I have a Munchlax knowing Strength on my Platinum save and I haven't even got to Valley Windworks. Also the nature didn't even pass on - got Adamant instead which is ok.

To be honest I can't believe I never thought of doing this in Emerald to get over Rock Smash's awful power in Gen III.

porygoing

Kreeeeeh
Years
Yes I did. In White 2, battle subway was good place to raise, because it keeps move automatically when the only one button was pressed.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
In the earlier generations I did, though I hated the fact that they removed some of the pretty decent moves for stuff like Growl lmao.

Back