• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
Ultimate Monotype Challenge - Pt 3

After defeating Lt. Surge, I headed back towards Cerulean city before going east to Rock Tunnel. Part way through the journey I ran out of inventory space and decided to use a Body Slam TM on Meowth, not much else happened. Trainers were battled, items were found, caves were navigated in the dark, Meowths were evolved, cut to Lavender town.

I healed up and then started west towards Celadon City, avoiding most of the trainers on the way. Once I arrived I headed to a restaurant where a man gave me a coin case. With that out of the way, it was time to head to the gym.

Leader Battle: Erika
Team:
Raticate Lv.28 Water Gun, Tail Whip, Dig, Hyper Fang
Pidgeotto Lv.28 Gust, Sand Attack, Quick Attack, Whirlwind
Persian Lv.28 Body Slam, Screech, Bite, Pay Day
Bellsprout Lv.10 Cutslave

Not much to say, Raticate swept her team with Hyper Fang.

After a rather dissappointing gym battle, I headed to the game corner, spent all my cash on coins (damn, only 2100...) and after another easy battle headed downstairs to defeat Team Rocket. Several grunts and movement tile puzzles later I was face to face with the leader of Team Rocket, Giovanni. Put simply, if you thought my battle with Erika was pathetic you are NOT going to like this. Raticate defeated Onix and Rhyhorn with Dig and Persian got lucky and defeated Kangaskhan in 2 hits with Body Slam.

Item Get! Silph Scope.

Next time! Pokemon Tower and Fuchsia City.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Again I apologize for being inactive, but I promise to keep up.

I have no problem reprising my role of the HGSS challenge host. I actually love this idea. This way one popular monotype(s) will draw people to attempt the less popular ones.

EDIT: ONE PIECE <3 props to alakazam17

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Wow, I started that Water challenge WAY in the beginning now didn't I? Oh well, we're ditching it now =P I'm actually going to start a Dragon Ultimate Monotype (Just because it's fun :)), going FR--->C---->E---->PT

Naturally, I'm going to have to hack my starter in each time, but according to the rules that's fine, so I'm actually going to start FR right now =)

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
I shall try a steel UMC, I'll be hacking in a lvl 5 steel pokemon and ill start with crystal, then to ruby, then to platinum. <3

Wish me luck playas!

austy14

Cannibal
Years
So, I started my monotype challenge on HG today--Electric! Enjoy my first day! (It's pretty long...) :D

Started my game and isten to Prof. Oak babble. Then--yes! He asked me my name! Woah! I told him it was Sparky. He bought it. Then he hit me with his shrink ray and placed in my bed room. Such a bland rooom I have... So I went downstairs to see my Mommy. She gave me presnts! A bag, options, my ID, and the almighty ability to save. I have a cool mom ;) Then she told Prof. Elm was looking for me. Creeper. I headed out the door and then GOT ATTACKED BY A MARILL! Get your off me! Then Crys came. Wait, what? You changed your name? Not cool, Crys. And stop dying your hair. I thought now would be a good time to do so, so I used my saving abilities. Some ability that is... all I did was take a nap on my door step. I tried to leave town but some lady stopped me. You're not my mother! Fine. I'll talk to this cool read head stalking Prof. Elm. All I did was say "Hi" and he kicked me! Son of a b***h. Well, time to visit my nextdoor pedophile! Prof. Elm talked some s**t too and then the phone wrang--no, that was his computer. He got an e-mail from Mr. Pokemon. Everyone uses big words here, "aquaintance?" He's your goddam friend, suck it up. Then he told me to pick a Pokemon. I knew this would only be a temporary one, but it still took a lot of thought. 3 seconds later I walked away with my Totodile. I went to talk to that ginger bully, 'cus now I had a tough blue crocodile to back me up. He still kicked me... Being run out of my own hometown I tried to leave, but Mom2 stopped me. Again. Lady, I am 10. I can take care of myself. I guess I have to visit my real Mom. Turns out it was a good idea--she gave me a PokeGear! And she taught me how to call someone. So sonsiderate you are Mom! Now the psycho lady who thinks I'm her son let me pass. But a couple steps out of town and Prof. Elm stops me! Now what? Your phone number? No! I don't give my number out to pedophiles. Guess I had no choice :( So I went west to Cherrygrove. I saw one wild Pokemon and killed it. Now in Cherrygrove some other old man wants to talk to me? And I have to follow him? Ever hear of stranger danger? Wow! He's a fast old f***er. So that's a Pokemon Center, that's a Poke Mart, that's Water, and now your showing me... your house? Are these games filled with rapists? Get your mind out of the gutter, Nintendo. And he gave me shoes. I will not be bribed for sex. I'm out of this town... but before I can leave, guess who needs to give me more stuff? Creepy-Old-Fast Man does! A map card? Why doesn't my damn PokeGear come with one? Sliph Co. seriously relies on child molesters to hand them out? Why not just give all the trianers iPhones? Then they can get any app whenever they want. Some more wild Pokemon laid to rest by my ferocious Totodile... and whats this house in the middle of the woods? Mr. Pokemon's, of course. Is he part of this pedophile league too? OMG! I'M SO SORRY! I didn't mean to walk in on you and Prof. Oak... um... yeah. It's ok though, you have an easter egg for me. No candy inside? Damn... Oh. and now you make me sleep? Did you watch me intently? Did you keep your pants on? I'm sure not... but now Oak has to chime in. You seriously don't recognize me? We met like... 15 minutes ago. And you give me a Pokedex? Is it Christmas? Everyone's giving me gifts... Well Oak left and I don't want to be alone with Mr. Pokemon so I left too. Prof. Elm's calling!?!? Stop it, creepers... I'm 10. What... it's an emergency? Oh no! That sounds serious. On m way back to the lab the meanie red head runs into me. You wanna fight? Oh... you do. Totodile totally owns his Chikorita. $500! Wow! I really could get an iPhone now! Yes, yes... you're great.. blah blah. Wait... how did I get your triner card? Ack! I'm sorry! I saw your name... oh no. Quick stop at the PC and it's off to New Bark Town! Gotta check on Prof. Elm and his "emergency." There's a cop! Who'd Elm rape now? Wait! I din't do anything! He's the sick-minded child molester! And I can't even talk to defend myslef. But Crys--I mean, "Lyra"--comes to rescue! Where's Marill? Anyways, she tells him it's really that red head a**hole. And the cop knows I battled him? Is he stalking me now too? Such a dirty place, Johto is. You want to know his name? He was some adopted kid cheaply named "Passerby Boy." So I get to name him? How about... Ampere. Ok, yes, good cop--go arrest him. That's all Elm, I don't want to play any of your dirty games. Let's go see mom! Save my money? Well... ok. Before I go I grab a quick snack in our little kitchen. A clean sink and a fridge full of water and lemonade. Never mind, I was hoping for some Pop-Tarts. Out west again and Brunette Crys wants to talk. Yes, jump around in the grass with your Maril. Glad your having fun. Wait... was I born 30 minutes ago? Everyone wants to teach me how to do everything... ooh, Pokeballs? Awesome! Merry Christmas to you too! Catch a random Hoothoot, and off to get my first electric pokemon to replace my starter.

I went to breed the perfect Pichu egg (one with a Pichu inside) on Diamond. I got that so that it had almost 10 steps left to hatch and saved right before the union room. There was my starter!

Traded Hoothoot for Jenna's egg and ran around a bit till it hatched into a beautiful... baby... girl! Congratulation's, it's a Pichu. Nice moveset too... hope that's not cheating. But I go on to train Volty (that's what I names her!). Found a level 4 Hoothoot, and even though she's level 1, she wiped the grass with Thunder! Few more Hoothoots and a Rattatta or 2 and she's ready to go. Sorry HM (as I named my Totodile earlier), it's time for Bill's PC for you. Where to next... Violet CIty, of course! On my way there. there were some weird little boys that tried to get my phone number. I'm sorry, but does Sparky come off that gay? Straight guys can wear V-neck hoodies and capris too. Finally in Violet City... Volty was kinda lonely, so I went south to Route 32 and caught Amph, the Mareep, for a companion. I was finally able to take on... the old guy at the top of the tower? That too... beat all those monks and their weeds. NOW I'm ready to beat the gym leader. The Jr. trainers were pretty easy, and Volty took out Falkner in a few short minutes. I got a badge! We just got a badge, we just got a badge, we just got a badge, wonder who it's from? Well Falkner isn't that bad 'cus he's like... 16. He had no intentions of raping me, so it's all good. Prof. Elm's calling agian? You wanna give me the egg back? Why didn't you just let me keep it? So I stop by the Mart to pick that up. Then some Kimono Girl comes and talks about something... telling me to take care of the egg and all. And this is where I call it a day! 1:38 and I have 2 pokemon, an egg, and a badge. Good start.

Scytha

mass effect freak
Years
Current Team

Spr_1y_057.png

Bruno
Level 35
Rage
Karate Chop
Focus Energy
Low Kick

Spr_1y_066.png

Jay
Level 16 (just caught)
Karate Chop

Right now I'm at Rock Tunnel and I'll be grinding Jay there for a while.

Edit: Gaddamn! I wish Karate Chop was fighting in 1st gen -.-

Thought I better update since I've made a lot of progress already.

Spr_1y_057.png

Bruno
Level 40
Rage
Seismic Toss
Low Kick
Karate Chop(believe it or not, it's my flying type counter)

Spr_1y_067.png

Jay
Level 40
Karate Chop
Low Kick
Leer
Focus Energy

Spr_1y_106.png

Lanker
Level 31
Double Kick
Meditate

Spr_1y_068.png

Ricky
Level 25
Karate Chop
Leer
Low Kick
At the moment, I've beaten 4 gyms, and I'm focusing on the Rocket Hideout.

Last edited:

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
OK, so I finished my Flying Challenge on Platinum ages ago. I was trying to get around to updating properly, but I never did and probably won't, so I'll just post my team.

Duffy (Drifblim) @ Spell Tag
Spr_4p_426.png

Lvl. 57
Aftermath
- Shadow Ball
- Air Cutter
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion
Improved an awful lot once he got more powerful attacks like Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt under his belt. An average Pokemon, but one of my favourites.

Scorpula (Gliscor)
@ NeverMeltIce
Spr_4p_472.png

Lvl. 58
Hyper Cutter
- Night Slash
- Dig
- Ice Fang
- X-Scissor
Scorpula's great, his speed, power and coverage came in great use when I just needed to hit something hard and fast. Ice Fang was a godsend, he single-handedly beat Garchomp.

Scramblore (Togekiss) @ Fist Plate
Spr_4p_468.png

Lvl. 58
Hustle
- Ancientpower
- Flamethrower
- Aura Sphere
- Extremespeed
Definitely one of the best on my team, Aura Sphere was wonderfully overpowered.

Mangosaur (Tropius) @ Aspear Berry
Spr_4p_357.png

Lvl. 57
Clorophyll
- Sunny Day
- Solarbeam
- Fly
- Natural Gift
Mangosaur is awesome, despite by all standards being crap. Because he's Mangosaur. I had a nice little tactic going against Bertha, Sunny Day+Solarbeam with Clorophyll works nicely.

Dracosect (Yanmega) @ Insect Plate
Spr_4p_469.png

Lvl. 58
Speed Boost
- Ancientpower
- Air Slash
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic
MVP, no doubt. It was great to have such a speedy Special attacker.

Cottonwing (Altaria) @ Soft Sand
Spr_4p_334.png

Lvl. 59
Natural Cure
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
Here was my tactic against Flint: 4xDragon Dance, 5xEarthquake. Cottonwing rocks my socks.

sinnohchamps.jpg

Years
I would like to take challenge.

Forum nickname: Sajmon180
Name: Simon
Game: Emerald
Pokemon Type: Fire
Platform: PC-Emulator, No$Gba.

I would start with Torchic of course, who I'm going to keep. I'm thinking of Ninetales, Solrock and Macgargo/Torkoal. Are there another Fire types anyway?
I'm going to use 2 HM slaves which is Zigzagoon (can I catch Linoone later?) and Wingull (can I catch Pelipper later?) and eventually Spheal for Diving only.

Last edited:

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
After giving Team Rocket a sound thrashing in Celadon city I headed towards Lavender town, cutting through Saffron city and picking up TM29 on the way. Not much to say about Pokemon Tower, Night Shade could hit all of my team, only Raticate could hit the ghosts, I decided to run from most wild pokemon to avoid getting him further ahead in levels. The Rocket grunts at the top of the tower were, as usual, dissappointing.

With Mr. Fuji saved and the pokeflute acquired, it was time to head south to collect my next 2 team members. The first new recruit was found blocking the path near Vermillion City. Several hyper fangs and several resets later, Snorlax was safely inside a pokeball. I continued to Fuchsia City and the Safari Zone, after paying to enter the zone 13 times (No, really) I finally got a Chansey. After some trainer battles, everyone was around level 30-35, time for the gym.

Leader Battle: Koga
Team:
Raticate Lv.35 Water Gun, Tail Whip, Dig, Hyper Fang
Pidgeotto Lv.35 Swift, Sand Attack, Quick Attack, Wing Attack
Chansey Lv.35 Psychic, Bubblebeam, Thunderbolt, Sing
Snorlax Lv.35 Body Slam, Amnesia, Rest, Mega Punch
Persian Lv.35 Body Slam, Bite, Double Team, Screech

Tried to avoid using Chansey and Raticate as much as possible, after all this is meant to be a monotype "challenge", Snorlax managed to take down both Koffings with Body Slam spam, however he fainted after Muk became nigh impossible to hit (frickin' minimize). Enter Pidgeotto, with the help of several super potions Pidgeotto managed to take Muk down with swift. I figured I'd give Persian a bit of screentime vs Weezing, then it exploded...yeah. Well, Pidgeotto got enough experience from Muk to reach Lv.36, evolution time!

Next time! Saffron city.

Scytha

mass effect freak
Years
I got into this challenge :P

Spr_1y_057.png

Bruno
Level 46
Thrash
Seismic Toss
Low Kick
Karate Chop

Spr_1y_067.png

JayLevel 48
Karate Chop
Seismic Toss
Low Kick
Focus Energy

Spr_1y_068.png

Ricky
Level 45

Karate Chop
Low Kick
Earthquake
Seismic Toss

Spr_1y_106.png

Lanker
Level 50
Double Kick
Meditate
Rolling Kick
Hi Jump Kick

Spr_1y_062.png

Whirly
Level 46
Hypnosis
Counter
Body Slam
Surf

I'm at the Pokémon Mansion grinding my Pokes to level 50. God, it's such a good training spot for fighting types ^^

Years
1000% speed ftw.

Anyway, heres my first progress.

-Got Torchic
-Grindan to 12 Lv
-Destroyed May
-Caught hm slave at route 102 - Zigzagoon
-Beat some trainers, grindan to 15 Lv
-Went to Petalburg, met dad, Wally etc.
-Went to Petalburg Woods, beat some trainers, evolved to Combusken
-Rustboro city now, grindan to 21 Lv

Combusken:
106k3r9.png
21zv61.png
2ho8jfn.png

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Sliph Co. seriously relies on child molesters to hand them out?
This would have made me laugh for five minutes straight... if "Silph" wasn't misspelled. XD Seriously, I'm impressed with the general LOLz of your update.

• Prinplup evolved, FINALLY, and I find myself in possession of a super-special-awesome Empoleon... who finally fits in the Steel thing that the rest of my team has going on. After seven gyms. Woo Empoleon!
  • Set my sights on training the shamefully-underlevelled Skarmory. He even let a level fifteen Mareep attack him! Twice! ; 0; He is the shame of my family and a disgrace of our ho- Oh. Skarmory. I, uh, didn't see you there. How's things goi- Aargh! Don't peck me, dammit! Stop! STOP!!
  • Sees how slow things are going when Rock Tomb hits approximately two percent of the time, and put off Skarmory's training for the time being until we have Pokémon around that might actually get experience points.
  • After dwelling over Metagross and Bastiodon as my last team member, I decided to switch Steelix for Bastiodon and use the last slot for Metagross. YAY.
  • Put off getting Bastiodon until I find Fly in Pearl, and set my sights back on training Beldum and Mr. Amazing Skarmory. No way I'm taking on Team Rocket and its badly-localized admins with this team as it is...
  • Decided that the Rocketeers might provide some decent EXP and entered the hideout of peril.
  • Went undercover, but Rivalman caught me and misunderstood, thinking I was trying to dress like them. After slugging him and explaining (angrily) that I was GOING UNDERCOVER DAMMIT, I dealt with the Rocket Grunt who was buddying up to me and went inside. Sometimes I really hate that dude...

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I'm back guys, this time with an update of my own. I just did a 1 hour video for my ground challenge, but its all there. You can hear my friend fail at hacking while I do this if you want, but most of the sounds are my keys and him cussing because he can't figure it out. I really don't know why I even got the Nidoqueen, she just held me back and took some good moves. My friend did figure out what he was doing an hour after this (if you're interested). Also, I think this is when his sister's hot drunk friend came over. I'm starting to upload the videos now.

Quick Question: Does anyone know of a way to make videos longer than 10 minutes uploadable to here? I don't really want to split it all up.

Next OP update will have me adding aaaaaall the userbars.

Last edited:
Years
Update #5:
>I beat Norman.

Current Pokemon:
Pelipper(LV.29)
Protect
Water Gun
Supersonic
Wing Attack

Goldeen(LV.17)-Released
Peck
Horn Attack
Water Sport
Supersonic

Marshtomp(LV.32)
Take Down
Mud Shot
Mud-Slap
Water Gun

Tentacruel(LV.31)
Toxic
Supersonic
Bubblebeam
Acid

Azumarill(LV.25)
Bubblebeam
Defence Curl
Rollout
Water Gun

Current Badges:
Stone Badge
Knuckle Badge
Dynamo Badge
Heat Badge
Balance Badge

Sleet

Forum Lurker
Years
Right, I'm definitley 100% starting my Steel monotype challenge on Pokemon Heart Gold tomorow ;)

joeyijoeyi

Poison Monotype - SS
Years
Monotype challenge HG/SS

Name: Toxic
Username: joeyijoeyi
Type: Poison
Game: Soul Silver

I started my Poison Monotype Challenge today! FIRST I took Totodile, so my rival would have Chikorita. Then I sent over an egg- Skorupi. Hatched it and stopped using Totodile. Now it's my slave >_<. Then I got to Violet and caught a Ghastly in the Tower. I trained my Ghastly, and got ready for Faulkner! I will update in a minute on my status :). BTW my signature is wrong till I update it :).

MY TEAM:

• Skorpion Lv. 12
  • Ghoul Lv. 8
  • Totodile Lv. 6

Last edited:

Esp1222

Psychic Lover
Years
Name: Dark Sceptile
Game Name: Scepy
Type: Grass
Game: Ruby

Edit: Im up to Mauville. (Speed up button on VBA FTW!!)

pkrs002.gif

Grovyle Lv. 26
Pursuit
Fury Cutter
Quick Attack
Screech
pkrs023.gif

Nuzleaf Lv.26
Nature Power
Fake Out
Harden
Growth
pkrs035.gif

Breloom Lv.26
Mach Punch
Mega Drain
Headbutt
Stun Spore
pkrs094.gif

Roselia Lv.26
Mega Drain
Magical Leaf
Growth
Poison Sting

Grinding takes a while, but VBA's speed up helps A LOT! XD

Last edited:

joeyijoeyi

Poison Monotype - SS
Years
Violet City Gym - It's hard

I beat Falkner. My DS FROZEEE!!!!! While it was saving!!!

I had to level up Ghastly all over xD.

I'm still fighting Falkner now. HE IS TOUGH. GHASTLY CAN'T ATTACK HIS POKEMON, THEY'RE SUPER EFFECT ON SKORUPI!!! Oh, btw, i sent over a Budew egg so yeah.

I'll beat him soon :).

My Team (B4 I beat him)

Ghastly Lv.11

Skorupi Lv. 12

Egg (budew)

Scytha

mass effect freak
Years
I've finished my Kanto challenge, and I'll be moving on to Crstal later today. Here was my team.

Spr_1y_062.png

Whirly
Level 60
Submission
Surf
Blizzard
Body Slam

He was one of the heroes of my team, and was probably the best one.

Spr_1y_057.png

Bruno
Level 55
Thrash
Karate Chop
Low Kick
Seismic Toss

Another hero. Took out all of Lance's team except for Dragonite.

Spr_1y_106.png

Lanker
Level 56
Hi Jump Kick
Double Kick
Rolling Kick
Meditate

He whooped some ass against Bruno.

Spr_1y_067.png

Jay
Level 52
Submission
Karate Chop
Seismic Toss
Focus Energy

Not much to say, but he was awesome.

Spr_1y_068.png

Ricky
Level 55
Submission
Karate Chop
Earthquake
Seismic Toss
Saved me countless times with earthquake, especially against Agatha.This was one of the best teams I've ever had in Yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back