• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
Someone please explain this to me.

Spr_1b_014.png

Why in the love of ass does Kakuna have claws? Was GameFreak planning on making him vicious? Yeah, it looks kind of cool, but I never expected a cocoon to have retractable claws and come at me like Wolverine.

I was about to say something about Kakuna as I was reading each posts. I think they were trying to make Kakuna look cool readying to hatch Beedrill.

I agree with most, Exeggutor ESPECIALLY Golbat were the two most ridiculous Sprites I had ever seen. I released them the moment they evolved and completed the Pokedex. I couldn't stand the look of those two.. Gastly looked awesome though.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024

The RB Charizard looks like he's trying to hoard something all to himself, even though there's nothing there for him to hide. Still though. :( And I love Mewtwo's BW sprite/animation. <3

150.gif

I never liked that sprite of Mewtwo. I think he looked better when he was a bit fatter and shorter, like in Gold. He has a boring pose in B/W.

Pokémon aren't supposed to be thin :D bring back fat Pikachu<3

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
The tiny sprites made for ridiculous proportions. It's only natural the as the quality of the art and sprites improved that they would become leaner and more naturally proportioned.

They finally fixed Mewtwo's giant head in HG/SS, but the D/P sprite proved easier to animate.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
Has anyone noticed the difference in Bellossom's colouring from the 2nd generation
Spr_2s_182.png
Spr_4d_182.png

Also I love Bellossom's moving B/W sprite. It seems like it's dancing and it's so cute.
182.gif

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Has anyone noticed the difference in Bellossom's colouring from the 2nd generation
Spr_2s_182.png
Spr_4d_182.png

Also I love Bellossom's moving B/W sprite. It seems like it's dancing and it's so cute.
182.gif

Probably one of the most fitting animations I've seen. I'm a bit bias though, because I love Bellossom anyway. =3=

Also, I see the Hitmons were mentioned earlier. While I prefer Hitmonchan and Hitmontop to Hitmonlee, I really like its Crystal animation. :)
Spr_2c_106.gif

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
That animation really suits Hitmonlee. He is also my least favourite hitmon but thats off topic.

Most of the Crystal sprites have great animations and are considered by some to be the best sprites around.
Here are a few of my favourite
gbc105.gif
gbc212.gif
gbc197.gif
gbc049.gif
gbc108.gif
gbc085.gif
gbc134.gif
gbc232.gif
gbc099.gif
gbc196.gif

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
The quality of the original G/S sprites are fine, and probably represent the point where their artists had the best balance of working at the limits of hardware and still making dynamic and well-made sprites (as opposed to Gen III's awful shading, Gen IV's blandness and Gen V's dreadful animation) - but the animated variants in Crystal leave something to be desired.

gbc160.gif

Lest we forget the massive error in this one.

miju-kun

soaring
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2014
Just look at Jynx's animation from Crystal
Spr_2c_124.gif

Don't you think it is so cute? SHAKE YER BOOTEH!

This is the opposite of cute:
Spr_b_g1_124.png

In my opinion; I think this sprite has a cool animation, despite it being from Emerald:
Spr_3e_332.gif

Years
576.gif

Look at Gothitelle moving, like she's dancing!

542.gif

Leavanny's sprites is cool too, according to Marriland he says Leavanny is bowing to him.

563.gif

Cofagrigus is sure to give you a surprise!

581.gif

Swanna spreads its wings!

605.gif
606.gif

Elgyem and Beheeyem - What's with the floating?

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013

This is my least favourite thing about B/W sprites. The animation is so badly choreographed in so many of them that they should have never tried in the first place. I wish I was exaggerating when I talk about how amateurish some of these animated sprites look.

160.gif

My personal favourite for nonsensical animation and a boring lack of movement. My apologies if there's a man working at Game Freak who can actually move his neck independently of his shoulders like that, but you should probably see a doctor.

Last edited:

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
and they are aliens of course. :)

I hate how pixelized the sprites are for BW. But, that's given since it's pretty hard spriting a moving sprite without any negativities.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Spr_1b_054.png
Bit of stretching before the battle
Spr_b_3r_104.png
BATTER UP!
Spr_1b_143.png
Am I being seduced?
Spr_1b_111.png
Truly one of the worst genration 1 sprite ever

Also im guessing that green back sprite was a scyther........ I think
Well that Rhyhorn is definitely not one of the worst and I kind of like it actually. And I do find that I like the old sprites better than the newer ones.
And I just goootta love this Jynx green sprite
Spr_1g_124.png

gvgisdi

Officially addicted to Crystal
Years
This probably is a pretty worthless post, but every time I see this thing
Spr_3r_384.png
I'm under the impression that
spr3r384.png
the circled part is Rayquaza's body and the green thing in front of it is its arms in sensei pose. :o

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Spr_3r_384.png
spr3r384.png
the circled part is Rayquaza's body and the green thing in front of it is its arms in sensei pose. :o
I'm trying to see it but I can't lol .. like what's sensei pose?

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
Well that Rhyhorn is definitely not one of the worst and I kind of like it actually. And I do find that I like the old sprites better than the newer ones.
And I just goootta love this Jynx green sprite
Spr_1g_124.png

Hey! That Jynx never changed quite a lot!

Look here!

124.png

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I think it changed a good bit and for the worse too imo. I dislike it that they made her purple and I like her hair better to be that long and kind of platinum blonde instead of the short yellow barbie style. And the dress seems a little too big to me too. Yeah I definitely like the green sprite so much more.

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
Years
Spr_3r_384.png
spr3r384.png

I think i see it...maybe...i think...
Also, did anyone else notice that Klink's backsprite does not match up with its front sprite?
Spr_5b_599.png
Spr_b_5b_599.png

If you don't see it, If we compare them, we can see that according to the front sprite, looking at it from the front, the left klink is on top, and the right is on bottom. yet, according to the backsprite, looking at it from the front, the left klink is on bottom, and the right one is on top.
Still don't see it? TOO BAD.

Back