• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Gen 1 Pokémon Fan Club

Which starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Username: yeahhhboiii
Favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Starmie
Why: Because Starmie has a cool type combo and design, Can learn a HUGE variety of TMs, and is the first Pokemon I ever trained to level 100. I caught it at level 31, and only used 2 rare candies, at levels 52 and 53 (before the Elite Four)
Why I wanted to join: I wanted to be a part of a group that cherished the same experience I did.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Username: yeahhhboiii
Favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Starmie
Why: Because Starmie has a cool type combo and design, Can learn a HUGE variety of TMs, and is the first Pokemon I ever trained to level 100. I caught it at level 31, and only used 2 rare candies, at levels 52 and 53 (before the Elite Four)
Why I wanted to join: I wanted to be a part of a group that cherished the same experience I did.
Welcome to the club! I really like Starmie's type combo as well, unfortunately very few seem to enjoy using it because of its rather disappointing movepool and the fact that it isn't the most defensive Pokemon ever. The amount of TM's it can learn definitely make up for it in my opinion though :)

What exactly is an emulator? I've heard of these but never seen or used one. I heard thought that it can save your saved game data 300 times or something so you never lose it. If I were to get my Crystal version's internal battery replaced to where I can play it again without the data erasing again and again, I was going to use cheats to get ahead since I misplaced my strategy guide book but I am kind of anxious about it, not wanting to ruin my cartridge.
Emulators are basically just consoles on the computer, where you use them to run the specific games on. They're all completely free and legal, the problem is rather in getting a ROM for it. There are various sites online that offer downloads for ROMs, however it isn't legal to just downright download them, and the only way to really get the ROMs legally is by using a flash drive or some kind of cable or something. A lot of people consider it alright to download the ROMs however, if they already own that game :p But yeah, people use it as an alternative, if they just quickly want to play the games, since most emulators have a speed-up function, or to try out cheats without needing a cheat device and without messing up their cartridges.

In my opinion, you should just stick to your physical Crystal without using cheats. I don't really get why you'd need it, since all I can really see it good for is getting Pokemon like Celebi and the Kanto legendaries if you don't have two Gameboys, a link cable and a first generation game, but yeah. I just don't think it's worth it. Emulators kinda give a dull experience, as imo, it's not quite the same as playing it on an actual console, and you can easily get caught up in using cheats, etc., which quickly make the games boring :p But yeah, your decision :)

I remember the Mew rumors on the older games. I might have tried that S.S. Anne one but nothing ever came of it and I never got Mew in any way or form. Never knew about the Elite Four and Bill rumors though.
Well, rumours most likely differ from place to place, and the SS Anne was just a really well-known rumour. Things like the E4 one may not be entirely accurate, since they were usually just something where you'd have to meet ridiculous requirements or do some very tedious things to get it, often with a lot of steps to make you think you just screwed up at some point and had to do it all over again. I guess it was a kind of trolling xD

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Emulators are basically just consoles on the computer, where you use them to run the specific games on. They're all completely free and legal, the problem is rather in getting a ROM for it. There are various sites online that offer downloads for ROMs, however it isn't legal to just downright download them, and the only way to really get the ROMs legally is by using a flash drive or some kind of cable or something. A lot of people consider it alright to download the ROMs however, if they already own that game :p But yeah, people use it as an alternative, if they just quickly want to play the games, since most emulators have a speed-up function, or to try out cheats without needing a cheat device and without messing up their cartridges.

In my opinion, you should just stick to your physical Crystal without using cheats. I don't really get why you'd need it, since all I can really see it good for is getting Pokemon like Celebi and the Kanto legendaries if you don't have two Gameboys, a link cable and a first generation game, but yeah. I just don't think it's worth it. Emulators kinda give a dull experience, as imo, it's not quite the same as playing it on an actual console, and you can easily get caught up in using cheats, etc., which quickly make the games boring :p But yeah, your decision :)

I mean, I can play it without the cheats, there's just a few reasons I wanted to use cheats, like not having to slowly do everything over again since I spend years on that game before it dried up. Another is that I wanted Celebi and the other legendaries then to play with and collect but I guess I should stick to getting Mewtwo and the birds on my Silver, Blue and/or Yellow version but I can't trade them over because I don't have another GameBoy or a trading link. Wish I could trade using my laptop and my GameBoy Color.

I also saw a GameShark cheat that gives infinite Rare Candy and Master Balls. I'm all for that but don't want to ruin my cartridge. Such a dilemma I'm in.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
What was your favorite legendary in Gen 1 and why?

Mewtwo, mainly because of his backstory and subsequent story arcs. I've always found it an interesting idea; the dichotomy between predestination and free will. Mewtwo was created in a Lab for the sole purpose of being used as Giovanni's personal weapon of mass destruction but his relationship with Amber in his formative stage and his later interactions with Ash and co. taught him that by virtue of being alive, he can transcend the purposes of his creation and has the power of choosing his own destiny. I especially like how he takes responsibility for the clones he created and becomes their guardian rather than their master. Admittedly, the anime (I mainly refer to the English dubbed version) could have handled his story a bit better to this day, he remains the most complex and intriguing Legendary Pokemon in the franchise.

Also, next to Charizard, he was my most liked Pokemon in the Gen 1 games. Honestly, in an era where the Psychic type was broken, the most powerful Psychic type was also the most powerful Pokemon in the game to the point where he was virtually unbeatable.

Last edited:

thefallendetective

-johnlocked-
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 31, 2014
Hello there! I'm Marina and I would like to join this club! (っ^∀^)っ

Your username: thefallendetective
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Pidgeot! <3
Why did you choose to join this club?: I hope to meet people who treasure this generation of
pokemon as much as I did! The first pokemon game I got was firered and I loved it to bits! (*^▽^)/♪
I will never forget that journey I took, one where I did not refer to serebii for information because I
wasn't much of a computer person in the past. I must say that the best experience is one that you
craft with your own hands! (*゚ー゚)

Was... hmm.. I don't really have a favourite legendary in this generation but the one I liked the most in
the past would definitely be articuno because it was the first legendary that I caught. Also, it looked
really pretty in both the game and the anime! ^^ Wasn't very particular about movepools and stats
when I was younger so nothing bothered me much! ( ・ω・ ) ♪

Granzen

Pokefan
Years
User name : FIKRI 29
Partner Pokemon : Arcanine
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon : Arcanine
Why do you choose to join this club ?: because Gen 1 is my first Pokemon game i played, and Arcanine is the strongest of my party Pokemon
To answer the topic
Why did you choose your current favorite Pokemon ?: Arcanine, because Fire type Pokemon, Strong and Look Cool ^_^

Zoka

Rocket grunt
Years
Your username: Zoka

Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: haunter

Why did you choose to join this club?:cant beat the original 151

And remember to answer one of the current topics.: my favorite legendary is mew, cause back when pokemon first came out if you had a mew, you were the ****

Last edited by a moderator:

Manfred Mankey's Earth Band

President of the Apocalypse
Years
Username: Manfred Mankey's Earth Band or Manfred

Your Favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Snorlax because he (my snorlax has always been a boy to me) is really rare and unrare at the same time (there are only two in the game but they are easy to find). Plus i always used him even before I cared about stats (when I didn't play video games nearly as much as I do now)

Why did you choose Gen 1 Fan club: It has a strait forward goal which is to defeat the gym leaders and the elite 4 and thwart the evil intentions of team rocket. Although I'm not a gen1er either it is a close runner up to my favorite gen

Answer current topic: Mewtwo is my favorite legendary pokemon of gen 1 because it is the final challenge of the game.

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
Years
Your username: Meaii
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Sandshrew or Squirtle! :)
Why did you choose to join this club?: Ozzy forced me to post in the Pokémon Clubs section ... I wanted to join a club that expresses the wonders of the Generation I Pokémon - the Generation that includes the two greatest Pokémon ever!
Which starter Pokemon is your favourite, and why? (Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle).
Squirtle, he's just so cute! He has like, a tortoise shell and he's so small and he's like a cute ickle' baby! <3

Squirtle17

Overlord of the West
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 16, 2014
Your username: Squirtle17
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Squirtle or Blastoise
Why did you choose to join this club?: Because generation 1 is BY FAR THE BEST THING EVER. Also this just seems to be a cool club.
Which starter Pokemon is your favourite, and why? (Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle). Squirtle because everything about him is just perfect. His color, his name, his voice. He is also really cute.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Your username: Squirtle17
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Squirtle or Blastoise
Why did you choose to join this club?: Because generation 1 is BY FAR THE BEST THING EVER. Also this just seems to be a cool club.
Which starter Pokemon is your favourite, and why? (Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle). Squirtle because everything about him is just perfect. His color, his name, his voice. He is also really cute.
I was gonna say that I thought Squirtle might've been my least used starter ever, but thinking back, I'm pretty sure I always chose that one, because I actually thought Grass was weak to Rock for the longest time, and thus I thought Squirtle was the best choice for taking on Brock. That aside, I actually really liked Squirtle in the anime. I felt like he was one of the Pokemon with a distinct personality, being strong and loyal to Ash, while at the same time being a bit of a troublemaker :p And he definitely wasn't one to give up, as could be seen in the Pikachu's Vacation short. He was one of my favourite of Ash's Pokemon, and I'd really love to see him return to the show at one point, since I can't even remember the last time he appeared in the anime. But yeah, despite it being my least used starter of the region, I definitely still love it :)

Which was better to you - Rattata or Zubat?

I can't even remember the last playthrough in which I've used either a Rattata or a Zubat, but speaking from which one is actually better, I'm pretty sure I'd have to go with Zubat. Rattata and Raticate's main use are really their Hyper Fang, in hopes of getting that crit that everyone dreads, but they aren't really good Pokemon to use in most cases. Aside from their Speed stat, there's nothing really significantly good about them, and the only reason to really get them would be their Hyper Fang. Zubat would probably be the more practical use, despite everyone rambling on about how useless they are, because in all honesty, they aren't :p Yes they're annoying and may be the most common Pokemon to date, with every cave being ZUBAT ZUBAT ZUBAT, but if you take some time to train one and teach it the right moves, it can be a good help in battle. For what I remember, Crobat is a super fast Pokemon, and they're good Pokemon for getting that Poison + Confusion combo. They learn useful moves, and just compared to the Rattata family, they're much more useful imo. But then again, that's just what I've experienced with them, because I remember loving my Crobat in Silver, and Rattata was just a meh kinda Pokemon. That's not saying I'm gonna use Zubat any time soon though :p

Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2013
Username:ps3smileyface
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Blastoise
Why did you choose to join this club?: Because I started on red and blue when it first came out, and some of my best child hood memories was battling with friends on the playground at school. It got intense.
Which starter Pokemon is your favourite, and why? I would have to say squirtle. This was my favorite starter as a kid because I got pokemon Blue first then I got red later on. It was the one on my game and that is why I chose him. I was an OCD Kid so that helped me pick because I had it first then went onto get the other starters once I got my new red and other gameboy (gameboy pocket)

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
What is your least favorite
1. Gen 1 Pokémon
2. Gen 1 Starter

My least favorite Gen 1 Pokemon is the Hypno. It's the only Pokemon that creeps me out to this day.

My least favorite Gen 1 Starter is probably Squirtle. Nothing against the little guy, I think Blastoise is beast, but I almost always never find myself using him on any of my Kanto playthroughs. Charmander's my favorite so I almost always use him and if not, I always get the most use out of Bulbasaur.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
What is your least favorite....

1. Gen 1 Pokémon
That is definitely err.....wow, I don't even have one....I'm just gonna say Rattata because it seems kinda useless.

2. Gen 1 Starter
Bulbasaur probably. I think it is a very poorly designed pokemon...well, perhaps Venusaur is the one I dislike the most. It just seems like such a dumb evolutionary design. It's the tree....why couldn't it have been a cool-looking flower or something?

Years
Your username: fenneking

Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon:
078.png

(Lapras is a close-second)

What Pokémon did you see most prominently in your Pokémon Gen 1 play through? Do you like this Pokémon?
016.png

018.png

I'd say Pidgey. I know everyone always talks about Zubat, but you only see him in caves. Plus, pidgey exists in more routes. It may just be that pidgey is less difficult to deal with than the annoying status wrecking Pokemon that is Zubat.

Mewtwo - Simply one of, if not, the best legendary Pokemon. First, with each generation, the increase of legendaries detracts from the idea of a legendary pokemon. Thus, two lines, the legendary birds and the Mew/Mewtwo lines have more impact since they are so rare. Anyone who has watched the first pokemon movie as a child has a lot of deference for Mewtwo. His design is simple yet distinct. The storyline and characterization involving Mewtwo was spot-on. Some of these new giant-complex-uber-mega-super-ultimate-powerhouse pokemon just seem to lose their identity among the others. This is why I haven't used a legendary pokemon since Lugia.

Which was better to you - Rattata or Zubat?
041.png

Zubat.
If we are talking both better competitively or in design. Surprisingly, these guys can do some damage to your roster in two ways. 1) Poison Status 2) Confuse Status. Rattata only had the quick attack advantage, but it is so weak, the move usually didn't make much damage, if any, despite being a STAB priority move in the wild encounters. Additionally, I actually like zubat's design. Golbat misses the mark, I prefer a cave-bat that uses echolocation, rather than using its eyes. The rattata line doesn't offer much as far as creativity in either level; though, I do like Rattata's purple palette I guess. And, I love Crobat!!!

1. Gen 1 Pokémon
103.png

2. Gen 1 Starter
009.png

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
Your username: LolPizzaLol
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Zapdos
Why did you choose to join this club?: Gen 1 is where it all started, and of the first games I ever played was Pokémon Blue.
Which starter Pokemon is your favourite, and why? (Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle). Bulbasaur, he can learn Solarbeam and I like grass-types. I also really like how his plant grows when evolving.

1. Gen 1 Pokémon: Hmm this is a hard one. I'd say Dugtrio, it's just 3 Diglett and I know Magneton is just 3 Magnemite, but they are magnets and they pull each other, Dugtrio doesn't really make sense.
2. Gen 1 Starter: Charmander, it's a nice Pokémon but Charizard is just way too overrated and I'm not a big fan of Fire-types either.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
This club doesn't have enough members. Sign me up!

Your Username: Mokoko
Your Favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Eevee

Why did you choose your current favorite Pokemon? Well, originally my favourite Pokemon was Persian but in time Eevee grew on me a lot. I just love it's design, simple, small and cute. Plus it can evolve into 8 different Pokemon! What's not to like?

Which starter Pokemon is your favourite, and why? (Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle). Bulbasaur, because it's just cuter than the rest.

What was your favorite legendary in Gen 1 and why? Mew! It is just adorable.

Which was better to you - Rattata or Zubat? Are we talking design-wise? If so, I choose Rattata. My brother knows a way to complete a Pokemon game with a level 1 Rattata! Besides, I never really liked Zubat, it can get pretty annoying when you run out of repels and it uses Confuse Ray!

What is your least favorite Gen 1 Pokemon?
magmar-color.png

What is your least favorite Gen 1 Starter?
venusaur-color.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back