• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Longer names

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
Hello uhm im Newbie in Rom Hacking and can you tell me what Script Editing are you using cos XSE doesn't work. Thanks

Wüfzhéévk

Ǵ̸͙̘͐̓ͅl̷̚͠͝? ?? �̝i̷͕͊t̵̠̼̹̆c? ?� �̣̭̓h̷̻̰̭̏͊e̵
Years
I would only expand the number of characters for pokemon names as someones are a bit longer like FLETCHINDER and CRABOMINABLE, in order to reduce the chance of having errors/bugs/glitches.

Wüfzhéévk

Years
Wonder if there could be a method to add new characters to the names like the PKMN simbol, the PK character was separated from the MN, this reduced the space instead of writing the four letters in just two..
this could fix problems with the space..

BluRose

blu rass
Years
Wonder if there could be a method to add new characters to the names like the PKMN simbol, the PK character was separated from the MN, this reduced the space instead of writing the four letters in just two..
this could fix problems with the space..
mate those are already in
character number 0x53, 0x54, 0x55, and 0x56 are...
[pk], [mn], [po], [ké], respectfully
probably accessed by "[pk]" being typed, but definitely accessible via \h commands

so like PKMN would be two separate characters and in xse would either look like [pk][mn] or \h53\h54

and besides, the easiest way to do that for characters that don't appear at all would be simply to replace an old defunct character

Wüfzhéévk

Years
mate those are already in
character number 0x53, 0x54, 0x55, and 0x56 are...
[pk], [mn], [po], [ké], respectfully
probably accessed by "[pk]" being typed, but definitely accessible via \h commands

so like PKMN would be two separate characters and in xse would either look like [pk][mn] or \h53\h54

and besides, the easiest way to do that for characters that don't appear at all would be simply to replace an old defunct character
Yes, I mean that this method of putting two letters on a single character would resolve the problem with the space, it could be posible to make something like Fletchinder or Crabominable in order for the names to fit on the ten character limit.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
Yes, I mean that this method of putting two letters on a single character would resolve the problem with the space, it could be posible to make something like Fletchinder or Crabominable in order for the names to fit on the ten character limit.

I think that looks a bit ugly but perhaps making a custom le symbol could work, especially since its shared by both.

BluRose

blu rass
Years
I think that looks a bit ugly but perhaps making a custom le symbol could work, especially since its shared by both.
lol better yet use gamefreak's method of cramming the letters in there to get a shorter name that takes up less letters
0x57, 0x58, 0x59 are all 5/3 of a letter in order to get the word "block" crammed into three characters, probably for poké block case? don't actually know

EDIT: thaks for images bulbapedia!!
Character_0x57_iii.png

Character_0x58_iii.png

Character_0x59_iii.png

Character_0x57_iii.png
Character_0x58_iii.png
Character_0x59_iii.png

Last edited:

Wüfzhéévk

Years
lol better yet use gamefreak's method of cramming the letters in there to get a shorter name that takes up less letters
0x57, 0x58, 0x59 are all 5/3 of a letter in order to get the word "block" crammed into three characters, probably for poké block case? don't actually know

EDIT: thaks for images bulbapedia!!
Character_0x57_iii.png

Character_0x58_iii.png

Character_0x59_iii.png

Character_0x57_iii.png
Character_0x58_iii.png
Character_0x59_iii.png
Yes you are right, it looks better now, it is possible to make this type of characters, but how would they be inserted into the rom and how it would be able to put them on the pokemon name using tools.

BluRose

blu rass
Years
Yes you are right, it looks better now, it is possible to make this type of characters, but how would they be inserted into the rom and how it would be able to put them on the pokemon name using tools.
ever heard of tile molester? it's an interesting tool...
anyways, basically dumps the rom as an image. this is really helpful because that means that we just have to look through there for our text's image and bam replace that
and maybe remake some tables to define our letters properly

according to hackrex's tut on it, check around 1f5df0, 201ff0, 212308, and 222620. these are the german offsets, but english can't be too far away, eh?
better yet, check out the dppt font patch and what it changes :P

Back