• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

luke

Master of the Elements
Years

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

That's right everyone. Welcome to the new and improved thread. In an effort to improve the Strategies & Movesets forum, we're making small changes. This thread is one of those steps in hopes of loosening up the forum.

Rules

This thread is pretty flexible, so there are very few rules:

• Have a basic understanding of our forum rules. They can be found here.
  • If you have any questions pertaining to the Battle Frontier, please use its appropriate thread. It can be found here.
  • No in-game help. The rule of thumb there is "anything works in-game as long as you level up and play smart." If you need help with strategies, you're more than welcome to ask here.
  • Asking for an entire team isn't permitted. You must have a general idea of what direction you want to go with your team.
  • Questions like "How does this attack work?" and "What are IVs/EVs?" belong here.
  • Rules are subject to change when the staff feels it is necessary
  • BATTLE TOWER TEAMS GO IN THIS THREAD.

Enjoy! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
First post XD

Exactly how viable is a Charge Beam set-up Rotom appliance? I've been thinking about it for awhile, but they are so rarely used that they automatically make me think that they aren't even worth the effort. Only good thing is that Blissey generally can't break its subs so it can set up on it's number one problem counter. Still, I'm not too sure.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
First post XD

Exactly how viable is a Charge Beam set-up Rotom appliance? I've been thinking about it for awhile, but they are so rarely used that they automatically make me think that they aren't even worth the effort. Only good thing is that Blissey generally can't break its subs so it can set up on it's number one problem counter. Still, I'm not too sure.
After playing with Jabba's team (I also used it in early Platinum) it is really fun to use imo. It's really easy to get in a Charge Beam due to its great typing.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
First post XD

Huh, Rotom is #5 in usage, that is NOT rarely used.

Charge Beam is a great move on sub rotom, it allows it to boost its special attack and sting quite a bit from experience. Sub also blocks status and escape Pursuit.

Where can I find a pokemon usage list? Just out of curiosity.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60906

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Ludicolo :D

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Naughty / Lonely Nature
132 Atk / 200 SAtk / 168 Speed
Swift Swim

Surf
Seed Bomb
Ice Beam
Focus Punch / Fire Punch / Hidden Power Electric

Nature depends on what hits you plan on taking with Ludicolo more. Naughty would allow you to take on Dugtrio more easily though. Last slot is personal preference.

Aurafire

provider of cake
Years
I just meant Charge Beam wise, not actually usage, as I know that Rotom Appliances themselves are quite popular. But still, thank you XD

It's actually surprising, looking at the statistics Charge Beam has only ~10% usage on the Rotom Formes, I would have thought it to be a bit higher :O

Still have to try SubRotom, it sounds like a fun time.

HashBrownJM

Decade-Old League Champion
Years
Grass type:

Venusaur/Victreebel @ Poison Barb (Mild; +SA, -Def)

-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Sludge Bomb
-Synthesis

VS.

Exeggutor @ ??? (Modest, +Sp. Atk, -Atk)

-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Explosion (open to suggestions)
-Psychic

Both have different uses and as such, I'm trying to decide on which one to use as it'll determine how I set up the rest of my team. Also open to other good grass types/movesets I haven't thought of!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Grass type:

Venusaur/Victreebel @ Poison Barb (Mild; +SA, -Def)

-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Sludge Bomb
-Synthesis

VS.

Exeggutor @ ??? (Modest, +Sp. Atk, -Atk)

-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Explosion (open to suggestions)
-Psychic

Both have different uses and as such, I'm trying to decide on which one to use as it'll determine how I set up the rest of my team. Also open to other good grass types/movesets I haven't thought of!
Just remember that Exeggutor gets Chlorophyll while Venusaur only has Overgrow, so it generally is a better SunnyBeamer.

Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2010
Let's say that i caught a Abra and EV trained it to 252 SpAtk 252 Speed and 6 Spdef. Then i kill a pokémon with it, will it get any EV then or will the old EV stay?

Last edited:
Years
What is the breeding chain, or an example of a breeding chain, for:

**Flail** on Bug group babies

Thanks. In Game Boy Advance.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
What is the breeding chain, or an example of a breeding chain, for:

**Flail** on Bug group babies

Thanks. In Game Boy Advance.
For Gen III this could work though there is probably better chains.

Feebas --> Squirtle --> Chikorita --> Paras --> Bug [Eg. Pinsir, Heracross]

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Let's say that i caught a Abra and EV trained it to 252 SpAtk 252 Speed and 6 Spdef. Then i kill a pokémon with it, will it get any EV then or will the old EV stay?
Nope, once you have 510 EVs the Pokemon cannot gain anymore.

HashBrownJM

Decade-Old League Champion
Years
Just remember that Exeggutor gets Chlorophyll while Venusaur only has Overgrow, so it generally is a better SunnyBeamer.

K. Well, guess I'll need to replace my water/psychic, then.

Kingdra @ (suggest something)

+Sp. Atk, -Atk.

Should I go for Sniper or Swift Swim?

-Surf
-Ice Beam/Blizzard (Should I take accuracy over power?)
-Dragon Pulse
-Rain Dance (if Swift Swim, if not, what move?)

And what hold item? I like Kingdra because he has virtually no weaknesses except for Dragon.

And what hold item should Exeggutor hold? And was his moveset good?

And

Ursaring @ Flame Orb w/Guts

or

Snorlax @ Leftovers w/Thick Fat

or

Blissey @ whatever w/Serene Grace?

I'm trying to see who is the most effective normal-typed wall/hard hitting DPSer. Obviously Ursaring is a hard hitter. Snorlax is sort of a cross between Blissey and Ursaring. Blissey, from what I hear, is rather overused and even with max defense EVs only has 130 defense or so, so she can't really take a hit... Advice?

PS - I'm sorry if I'm asking about too many at once. I was going to ask one at a time but I got on a roll.

Last edited:

porygon361

I fight as the sandstorm rages
Years
K. Well, guess I'll need to replace my water/psychic, then.

Kingdra @ (suggest something)

+Sp. Atk, -Atk.

Should I go for Sniper or Swift Swim?

-Surf
-Ice Beam/Blizzard (Should I take accuracy over power?)
-Dragon Pulse
-Rain Dance (if Swift Swim, if not, what move?)

And what hold item? I like Kingdra because he has virtually no weaknesses except for Dragon.

And what hold item should Exeggutor hold? And was his moveset good?

And

Ursaring @ Flame Orb w/Guts

or

Snorlax @ Leftovers w/Thick Fat

or

Blissey @ whatever w/Serene Grace?

I'm trying to see who is the most effective normal-typed wall/hard hitting DPSer. Obviously Ursaring is a hard hitter. Snorlax is sort of a cross between Blissey and Ursaring. Blissey, from what I hear, is rather overused and even with max defense EVs only has 130 defense or so, so she can't really take a hit... Advice?

PS - I'm sorry if I'm asking about too many at once. I was going to ask one at a time but I got on a roll.

It is also weak against grass. And blissey's HP is extraordinarily high, so training its HP is the best option.

Oh, yeah.

Flygon

+speed -sp attack

Moves:

Dragonclaw
Dragonbreath (I know I should replace it, but with what?!)
Earthquake
flamethrower (Not sure whether to keep it...)

Help?

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
It is also weak against grass. And blissey's HP is extraordinarily high, so training its HP is the best option.

Oh, yeah.

Flygon

+speed -sp attack

Moves:

Dragonclaw
Dragonbreath (I know I should replace it, but with what?!)
Earthquake
flamethrower (Not sure whether to keep it...)

Help?
Umm.....Kingdra is only weak to Dragon. Her Dragon type cancels out her other side's Grass weakness :P

Anyways try this

Flygon @ Choice Band
Nature : Jolly
EV : 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Punch

U-Turn for scouting early-game and he cleans up very well late-game with Outrage/EQ.

@HashBrownJM : Kingdra should hold a Lum Berry or LO but since you're running a Rain Dance set Damp Rock is viable. Swift Swim >> Sniper, it lets you take advantage of your rain and opponent's rain(it he/she sets it up) plus Sniper is not really that common. Blissey always has 252 Def EV's, you may think there is little difference between a Def of 119 and 59 but it allows her to take a lot of physical hits. 252 Def / 80 SpAtk / 176 SpD Calm is the standard now but tbh I find the SpD EV's don't help her too much. You could shift some over to HP if you like. Also Natural Cure is also a must, since it'll let her heal off status =]

Back