• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Thoughts on how XY will affect fangames?

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
If, for some reason, you haven't heard the announcement of the two new Pokémon games, watch this:

In what ways do you think fangames will change with generation VI being introduced? If you're the developer of a fangame, do you plan on changing up your game once the games are released/further information on them is released?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 12
  • Seen May 11, 2015
I do fully intend on adding the new Pokémon into my productions. Of course, acquiring usable sprites may or may not be an obstacle.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
g6rUg.jpg

Too sooon...?
Regardless, I'm adding the starters to my fan game because I currently need fillers for my Pokedex.
I plan to add their evoluotions and any new ones that take my fancy when annouced.

I think this'll be an eye opener for us, I'm sure more people will try a Fully 3D enviroment and Modelled people games, but we've all seen them before.
And maybe some people will try 'demake' the games when released, who knows?

ChaosLord

Game Dev Wanderer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2013
If you're talking about whether or not people will switch over to 3D engines, I doubt it. More than likely though, the Pokemon X and Y region will be devamped to Gen 5 and below graphics, and once more information(Or the game itself) is released, someone on here will probably spend time adding the Metadata and etc. for Pokemon Essentials.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
If you're talking about whether or not people will switch over to 3D engines, I doubt it. More than likely though, the Pokemon X and Y region will be devamped to Gen 5 and below graphics, and once more information(Or the game itself) is released, someone on here will probably spend time adding the Metadata and etc. for Pokemon Essentials.

A lot of users have come and gone with 3D engines, all of which slowly died away, there is one floating round the forum, with out screenshots, so i doubt that'll happen.
My point is people were jumping onto the 3D band wagon way before this, but I'm guessing this could make that band wagon a whole lot Bigger!

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
It will be problem i think to put all sprites of pokemons to essentials, because firts they are in 3ds format, so ripping then will be hard, tilesets the same, for now we dont have tool to rip to those 3ds graphics. So i dont have idea. If someone will make all new sprites for essentials, i could put them in, but the chance is like 1%

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
venom12 said:
It will be problem i think to put all sprites of pokemons to essentials, because firts they are in 3ds format, so ripping then will be hard, tilesets the same, for now we dont have tool to rip to those 3ds graphics. So i dont have idea. If someone will make all new sprites for essentials, i could put them in, but the chance is like 1%

I agree with what you said. It will be hard for people to rip out graphics from these games. Before they do so, it will probably take a long time. So, i don't think the next version of Pokemon Essentials will include their tilesets.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015

There are no sprites to rip.
It's all 3D models, the pokémon and humans.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
For some utterly strange reason, XY still use grid-based maps. That makes it easier for RMXP/Essentials games to remain relevant. Of course, demand/attempts for perspective-mapped games will increase.

As for the Gen 6 Pokémon sprites... there won't be any. There will still be icon sprites, of course, which haven't changed since Gen 3 (surely they can afford to paint them in more than 2 colours by now?!), so that's not so bad. Gen 6 Pokémon are going to be fan-made sprites, but that won't put many people off using them.

Any and all graphics in XY are absolutely going to be "de-vamped" and made compatible with RMXP. Eventually.

There's going to be a drive by some people (you know who you are) to overhaul their battle system to look like Gen 6, as if the current battle system doesn't work perfectly fine and is inferior to pictures of a non-playable alternative. I don't think it'll be a huge drive, though, as it seems like too much hassle for someone to recreate with sprites.

Overall, I don't think fangames will change that much. Once some Pokémon sprites have been made, and once new tilesets have been made people will add them to their games; however, from what we know so far, there's nothing remarkable that could feasibly be added to a fangame (particularly one made with the limited RMXP).

Of course, what do I know about making fangames?

It would be nice to see a project start up to make a simple (properly) 3D engine, but I suspect even that is beyond the wit of anyone who cares.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
Ripping from the DS was no problem. I'm sure someone will figure it out.

Anyway, GameMaker supports 3d models. As soon as the ROM is ripped, I could attempt to make something of it.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
For some utterly strange reason, XY still use grid-based maps. That makes it easier for RMXP/Essentials games to remain relevant. Of course, demand/attempts for perspective-mapped games will increase.

As for the Gen 6 Pokémon sprites... there won't be any. There will still be icon sprites, of course, which haven't changed since Gen 3 (surely they can afford to paint them in more than 2 colours by now?!), so that's not so bad. Gen 6 Pokémon are going to be fan-made sprites, but that won't put many people off using them.

Any and all graphics in XY are absolutely going to be "de-vamped" and made compatible with RMXP. Eventually.

There's going to be a drive by some people (you know who you are) to overhaul their battle system to look like Gen 6, as if the current battle system doesn't work perfectly fine and is inferior to pictures of a non-playable alternative. I don't think it'll be a huge drive, though, as it seems like too much hassle for someone to recreate with sprites.

Overall, I don't think fangames will change that much. Once some Pokémon sprites have been made, and once new tilesets have been made people will add them to their games; however, from what we know so far, there's nothing remarkable that could feasibly be added to a fangame (particularly one made with the limited RMXP).

Of course, what do I know about making fangames?

It would be nice to see a project start up to make a simple (properly) 3D engine, but I suspect even that is beyond the wit of anyone who cares.

How do you know that there is icon sprites?
And how do you know they haven't revamped them or the party screen altogether to support 3D models?
No Menus nor Sprited based work was shown in the trailer.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
How do you know that there is icon sprites?
And how do you know they haven't revamped them or the party screen altogether to support 3D models?
No Menus nor Sprited based work was shown in the trailer.
Because it would just be daft to have any kind of party screen other than the one we have, which shows all 6 Pokémon at once plus name/HP/something for each of them. Given that sensibility, you then realise that you'd only have a small space for a graphical representation of the Pokémon, and that it wouldn't be worth using a model there, hence icons.

I'm sure they could do alternatives, like use portraits instead. It's unlikely, though. Yes, I don't know for certain, but I really don't think it would change.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Didn't Stadium use portraits for party screens, actually? I think they were just the 3D models cropped to only show the face. They could easily do that here, more easily than trying to incorporate sprites into an otherwise all-3D game. And it would get them out of having to make new sprites for the new Pokemon, since all they need is the one model.

~Glacia~Frost~

~Ice-type Trainer~
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2013
So I joined PokéCommunity last night in search of ideas for a fangame that I may make in the future; and then the next morning I see the announcement for Pokémon X and Y and instead of giving me new ideas it only reaffirmed some ideas I already had, such as a complete 3D graphic system in overworld and battle screens, a fox based Fire starter and a frog based Water starter ~wow~
For other fangames, I'm not really sure what may happen yet as we only know very little about X and Y for now, though I might say more about this as more information is revealed :)

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
The 3D they use for mapping is far more refined than anything we've seen from them so far. The one thing that I disliked about generation 5, was their use of 3D, and the way it was executed. There were minor details that I liked though, like the lookout in B/W/2. The thing that jumps out for me is the battle system. I don't know if any of the fangames now will be able to come even close to competing with them. Not to forget, that the game is 3D, as in on the 3DS. I have a 3DS and having Mario and others jump out of the screen, and playing in real 3D, is one of the best gaming experiences I ever had. This is one of the reasons that I think why the fangames shouldn't try to replicate what Nintendo is doing now, as we can't anymore. I don't think a fangame will ever come out that will replicate the feeling you get when you'd play this Pokemon game on their hand held. I'm not going to be upgrading my game, I'm certain on that. I may or may not add the generation 6 Pokemon either. I just don't see any point in all of us, who made progress, to now try to start again, just for a graphical overhaul. Generation 4 and 5 were already visually appealing as is. There is no real need for the fangame community to go into full 3D now.

Last edited:

Ayutac

Developer who wants your help
Years
I agree to the common opinion, 3D-Modelling is another level and unless someone is giving an engine for that, I guess nobody will make it through dreaming.

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
Maruno will most likely add to essentials the new moves, someone will make fan sprites of the new pokemon. I don't see anything else happening as a consequence to the sixth gen, at least nothing relevant.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
Like Luka mentioned, there's now way fan games are going to compete with the official games graphics-wise. I still think we've reached a point in fan gamed development where we only have two options: grow stale and stick to what he had before, or be innovative in ways different from Nintendo's. I seriously doubt anyone is willing to build an entire 3D engine that will probably not even come close to the official quality.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
Like Luka mentioned, there's now way fan games are going to compete with the official games graphics-wise. I still think we've reached a point in fan gamed development where we only have two options: grow stale and stick to what he had before, or be innovative in ways different from Nintendo's. I seriously doubt anyone is willing to build an entire 3D engine that will probably not even come close to the official quality.

There are already countless 3ds engines out there. What truly makes it difficult to replicate is coding all the systems (assuming that someone rips all the models from the rom when released). The jump between 2d and 3d is huge, and changes the coding drastically.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
There are already countless 3ds engines out there. What truly makes it difficult to replicate is coding all the systems (assuming that someone rips all the models from the rom when released). The jump between 2d and 3d is huge, and changes the coding drastically.

I meant so as to mimic that of the official games. Sure there are a lot of 3D engines out there already, but you'd still have to modify them in order to make them appear similar to the official one, and I'm guessing doing so is no easy task (or maybe it is, I've never worked with 3D so I can't say for sure). The point is that 3D isn't within the reach of expertise of most fan game developers.

Back