• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Civilization IV Beyond the Sword - The Misadventures of Donavannj!

Years
I've been meaning to do a Let's Play of Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword for quite a while now, and I finally remembered to do so for a game I started last night. No matter how many times I play this game, it never gets old, because each time I start a new game it's a different world and a different story and outcome. I will be chronicling my adventures and misadventures in this Let's Play!

Update List!
Game 1
Update 1 - A King and His Idiots April 8th, 2011
Update 2 - DEM RUSKI TRUFFLEZ April 8th, 2011
Update 3 - The Case of the Lazy Screencapper April 10th, 2011
Update 4 - New Places, Funny Hats, Bald Guys April 10th, 2011
Update 5 - Finally Got a Religion This Game April 11th, 2011
Update 6 - NOT YOU AGAIN. >:( April 11th, 2011
Update 7 - Research Party! April 11th, 2011
Update 8 - THESE BORDERS ARE CLOSED! April 12th, 2011
Update 9 - Bandwidth Killer
Update 10
Update 11 - No Offense, but I Hate You.
Update 12 - Holding Our Ground! Kinda.
Update 13
Update 14
Update 15 - Shwe****n Paya
Update 16 - Chichen Itza
Update 17 - Technological Acquisitions
Update 18 - Hagia Sofia! Oh, and an overview.
Update 19
Update 20 - RUSSIA HAS A MILITARY?!
Update 21 - We Fail to Build the Mausoleum
Update 22 - Islam
Update 23 - Meh
Update 24 - A Whole Lot of Nothing
Update 25
Update 26
Update 27
Update 28
Update 29
Update 30 - Building Things
Update 31 - Philosophy
Update 32 - Soon there will be guilds!
Update 33 - Improving Finances
Update 34 - Telling Saladin to Bugger Off
Update 35 - New Cities
Update 36 - Putzing about on beginning of turn things

Game 1 (Peter of Russia) - Update 1: A King and His Idiots

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Nice. I actually am liking this. :3

But yeah, Most of the time I just set my workers to Auto produce LOL, I'd rather start building a bunch of cities.

Still can't wait for updates. :D

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
... I want Bacon because of you now. xD Anyways, this is lovely so far! Can't wait to see more and see your tactics so I can use them when I play Civ4 because I suck. :B

Years
Replies:

Nice. I actually am liking this. :3

But yeah, Most of the time I just set my workers to Auto produce LOL, I'd rather start building a bunch of cities.

Still can't wait for updates. :D

I used to do that a lot, but I only do that when I find out they have nothing left to do and I get annoyed with telling them what to do.

Thanks, Netto! I hope you'll like my update in this post! ^_^

... I want Bacon because of you now. xD Anyways, this is lovely so far! Can't wait to see more and see your tactics so I can use them when I play Civ4 because I suck. :B

Bacon is so yummy and delicious and stuff. @_@ *drools*

I'll try to keep it interesting! I think I missed a fair bit of my strategy this time around because I was lazy about taking screencaps. :B Thanks Tara! ^__^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways onto fun update stuffs, with a bonus image because I just noticed the first update was 9 images, not 10 like I thought:

Game 1 Update 2: DEM RUSKI TRUFFLEZ

Spoiler:

Years
Nooo, why would you settle Moscow one off a river:'(
Sorry, but I just love Levees that much.
On the plus side, it has lots and lots of food, especially nice for a PHI leader like Peter.

Anyway... Keep this up, I already love it!

By the way, could you post a save (the 4000BC Autosave?), so we could shadow this game?

Years
Well at least you turned off the Barbarians. I hated those guys. Kept on destroying my cities and allowing the Aztecs to settle there. >.>

That aside FREE BACONZ! :D

Years
Replies:

Nooo, why would you settle Moscow one off a river:'(
Sorry, but I just love Levees that much.
On the plus side, it has lots and lots of food, especially nice for a PHI leader like Peter.

Anyway... Keep this up, I already love it!

By the way, could you post a save (the 4000BC Autosave?), so we could shadow this game?

I'm pretty sure I can still build Levees as long as the city has any tiles with a river in them.

Yes, it does. Especially DEM BACON MINES!

Thanks for reading! ^_^

I'll see what I can do about that.

EDIT:
Well at least you turned off the Barbarians. I hated those guys. Kept on destroying my cities and allowing the Aztecs to settle there. >.>

That aside FREE BACONZ! :D

GAH! NETTO! WHY YOU POST WHILE I UPDAAAAATE? ;_;

Just kidding. It's nice to know I have followers. ^_^

Barbarians are no fun. :B

YES FREE BACONZ! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, since it's late, I'm gonna do a short update here. Also note that I'm playing on Warlord difficulty because I suck at any higher difficulties but the lower difficulties are too easy for me. :B

Game 1 Update 3: The Case of the Lazy Screencapper

Spoiler:

EDIT: Also, initial save attached.

Last edited:
Years
Nice a settler. Do you put it near your Main city or put it on a far territory to create ur future boundaries? Because it's hard to defend and make it self sustaining. Workers take 4ever to make LOL.

Years
I'm pretty sure I can still build Levees as long as the city has any tiles with a river in them.
Unfortunately that only works if you are playing the Dutch and your city is on the coast (not sure if lakes work as well)

Not sure what to do about France. On the one hand, Paris is pretty far away from Moscow, on the other hand the little corporal is among the worst persons to have as neighbors in this game. Having a hill city being the only city on a short border and stacking units in there would be ideal I think.

Also going to try the map myself now, it's not like I've got anything better to do:)

EDIT:
Fun game so far. What do the AIs love to say again...?
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Replies:

Nice a settler. Do you put it near your Main city or put it on a far territory to create ur future boundaries? Because it's hard to defend and make it self sustaining. Workers take 4ever to make LOL.

I just focus on putting it in a good city spot. And it's not all that hard to defend. (b'-')b

Unfortunately that only works if you are playing the Dutch and your city is on the coast (not sure if lakes work as well)

Not sure what to do about France. On the one hand, Paris is pretty far away from Moscow, on the other hand the little corporal is among the worst persons to have as neighbors in this game. Having a hill city being the only city on a short border and stacking units in there would be ideal I think.

Also going to try the map myself now, it's not like I've got anything better to do:)

EDIT:
Fun game so far. What do the AIs love to say again...?
Spoiler:

Huh. Didn't know that. I was pretty certain it worked all the time.

We'll find out in a later update what I did or didn't do about France.

Okay! It's a pretty interesting map.

Spoiler:

-------------------------------------------------------

Game 1 Update 4: New Places, Funny Hats, and Bald Guys

Spoiler:

Game 1 Update 5: Finally Got a Religion This Game

I'm bored of the clueless leader ruse, so I'm just gonna post it how it is.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
The Oracle in which the Chosen one will go and start their Journey of Regeneration! :D

... Yeah idk either. :( But I want more bacon now, because you keep mentioning Bacon mines, and I just had bacon yesterday. This is also making me want to play CivIV... but on a lower difficulty because I fail at the game. XD;

Years
Replies:

The Oracle in which the Chosen one will go and start their Journey of Regeneration! :D

... Yeah idk either. :( But I want more bacon now, because you keep mentioning Bacon mines, and I just had bacon yesterday. This is also making me want to play CivIV... but on a lower difficulty because I fail at the game. XD;

YEAH! TOTALLY! :D

... I wish. I could totally not worry about Napoleon being my neighbor if that were the case.

I haven't had bacon in over a month. ;;

I liked the ruse tho :(

Still I founded Christianity so I win :D

That aside are you going to be aggressive or???

It was boring me and hard to keep up. :(

You want a religion as early as possible. :V

I'm actually pretty passive in my games. Probably way too passive.

------------------------------------------------------------

Game 1 Update 6: NOT YOU AGAIN. >:(

Spoiler:

Years
Replies:

Why is your Civ so far behind everyone's? :(

Still be wary of the aggressive people.

They bite.

That aside do you do open Borders or..?

That's just a power chart...

I already know that.

I've experienced that pain before. >_<

I tend to not (and in some cases that comes back to bite me. >_<).

Build some military already - pull out the nasty guys' teeth and they won't bite you.

I'm too far in this game for that. >_< I'll keep that in mind for my next game, though. I keep forgetting that. :x

------------------------------------------------------------

Game 1 Update 7: Research Party!

Spoiler:

Years
You popped gold in a riverside grassland hill mine belonging to your capital in 1760 BC?
images

Wow, that smiley looks crappy...unfortunately I didn't find anything else...

That's just an INSANE advantage - and it might cause some jealousy among the other civs...

Years
Replies:

You popped gold in a riverside grassland hill mine belonging to your capital in 1760 BC?
images

Wow, that smiley looks crappy...unfortunately I didn't find anything else...

That's just an INSANE advantage - and it might cause some jealousy among the other civs...

SPOILER ALERT: I FAIL TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT. :(

Game 1 Update 8: THESE BORDERS ARE CLOSED!

Spoiler:

Years
Should have taken Open Borders with everyone except maybe Gandhi (Buddhist) and Napoleon (he only has you as a target, so if he feels like having a war, his target WILL be you), since it increases the chances of Judaism spreading to them. Some allies are always nice. Well, I didn't get any in my shadow game, but I could always convert to whatever religion the Khan believes in or converts to, I'm pretty sure he and weak Saladin are the only known civs that don't hate me yet.

Another thing, why do you appear to be so reluctant to explore the east? Should have seen it like this: You are the tsar of Russia, and all the people over there are just Siberians waiting for you to conquer them! Except that these eastern lands are better ones than real Siberia with all its taigas and tundras, of course.

Years
Should have taken Open Borders with everyone except maybe Gandhi (Buddhist) and Napoleon (he only has you as a target, so if he feels like having a war, his target WILL be you), since it increases the chances of Judaism spreading to them. Some allies are always nice. Well, I didn't get any in my shadow game, but I could always convert to whatever religion the Khan believes in or converts to, I'm pretty sure he and weak Saladin are the only known civs that don't hate me yet.

Another thing, why do you appear to be so reluctant to explore the east? Should have seen it like this: You are the tsar of Russia, and all the people over there are just Siberians waiting for you to conquer them! Except that these eastern lands are better ones than real Siberia with all its taigas and tundras, of course.

Yeah, I didn't end up doing that (I'm roughly 100-150 turns ahead or soemething like that for this game because I got "one more turn" fever while playing a couple times). It came back to bite me.

I honestly don't do much thinking other than worry about my relative size to other Civs and my technological status relative to other Civs. That and I'm kinda lazy in my playing style. :x

Back