• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler]Pokemon World Tournament Discussion

Do you like Pokemon World Tournament?

• Yes! I love this new feature!

Votes: 170 89.5%
  • No, I don't like this new feature!

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Maybe, I am not sure I like or don't like this new feature.

Votes: 18 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue

gucci
Years
I'm super excited for this. I can't wait for the games to come out, that way I can abuse the heck out of this feature. I'll be sure to get every download possible to be able to battle every person available! I'm really excited to see what the Pokemon for each person will be!

Same here! I sometimes don't bother downloading some of the event Pokémon but I'll be definitely downloading all the leaders that become available for this feature, I love how it looks and I can tell it's just going to be awesome!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
So, has it been confirmed that other Leaders are going to be the only type of downloadable trainers available, or is the possibility still open for other types of trainers to be released for this?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
So, has it been confirmed that other Leaders are going to be the only type of downloadable trainers available, or is the possibility still open for other types of trainers to be released for this?

If you go by the description of the World Tournament, Its all Leaders and Champions only. We are still missing Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh Leaders and only Champion we are missing is Red unless Gamefreak doesn't count him since he's a PC.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
Mm...I hope the Unova leaders can be re-battled too

and I really hope Steven gets an all 80's team like Red (but no higher then level 87, because Red's Pikachu must remain the highest leveled pokemon controlled by an NPC...

Korsola

エレクトロニック
Years
Being a big fan of gym leaders in general, I have a feeling that I'm going to love this new feature. I think it will have some post-game longevity because in each tournament you're only facing a certain number of leaders/champions, so in order to face all the available characters you're gonna need to run through it again.

I hope that they keep it on a certain day of the week instead of being able to do it whenever you because it would make more sense in the game and it would give me something to look forward to every week. I don't know, just an idea.

Either way, this will be a great addition to the game! :D

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Doesn't sound too great imo, would prefer something less linear like another BF or something similar tbh. That and I've already battled Cynthia, Giovanni, Lance, etc. every other gym leader/champion from the previous games too many times to count as well. Battling Akuroma does get a slight chance of intrigue from me but I'm not expecting him to be that much of a challenge sadly.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
(but no higher then level 87, because Red's Pikachu must remain the highest leveled pokemon controlled by an NPC...
No, just no. Someone needs a team in the 90's so the highest leveled trainer in the franchise is someone who's actually a challenge. Perferably that someone is a cute girl for a change.

And I'd rather have the current crop of Gym Leaders be rematchable in some form other than this tournament. So Akuroma's presence along with the old leaders isn't encouraging...

Years
Steven doesn't say anything that is 100% about Hoenn protagonists. No proof at all. Events from gens 1, 2 and 4 are 100% confirmed to have already happened before B/W, while only R/S/E events are not even mentioned. Why?

Wasn't it already established that the events of the Kanto and Hoenn games occur at the same time, likewise with the Johto and Sinnoh games, only 3 years later?

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013

Wasn't it already established that the events of the Kanto and Hoenn games occur at the same time, likewise with the Johto and Sinnoh games, only 3 years later?

It was established only by fans' speculations. But in games, there is nothing coming even close to prove that. Steven's appearance as Champion in B2/W2 also supports theory that R/S/E take place after all other games.

If there are going to be more Gym Leaders downloadable after B2/W2 release, is it possible that there might be new designs for Hoenn Gym Leaders, designed for R/S remakes, hidden in B2/W2 coding? Or maybe old designs from original R/S/E?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
It was established only by fans' speculations. But in games, there is nothing coming even close to prove that. Steven's appearance as Champion in B2/W2 also supports theory that R/S/E take place after all other games.

Um...no there is a lot of things in the games that support Kanto and Hoenn being at the same time, you just don't acknowledge any of it cause you don't like the idea. Yes Steven makes a comment about the Hoenn Protags. It was a reference, the same things you used to justify music as a coincidence. If it wasn't a reference he wouldn't have said that. They also wouldn't have included the Lanette/Bill work, nor would they have acknowledged that Bill and Lanette were co creators of the PC System.

Its more fan speculation with little to no support that Hoenn comes after them in the time line. Why would they make a game that is so far in the time line so early? Why were the new Special Pokeballs that were invented in Gen 3 still in Gen 4 if Devon Corp hadn't invented them yet? Why was scott Searching around the world to test his One of a Kind Facility if there were other versions in Kanto and Johto? Yes Scott Opened the Battle Fronteir in Emerald, it wasn't opened/finished until Emerald's Post game. There are many facts from the games that support its placement with Kanto or between the three year period between Kanto and Johto.

Steven is still the Hoenn Champion meaning Wallace is a Gym Leader, so they are following Ruby/Sapphire story if Steven being in the World Tournament is any reference to Hoenn games. We've been told to stop discussing this in other threads, so lets stop please neither side is going to accept the other, all major sources have Kanto and Hoenn at the same time, so unless Gamefreak comes out and says that Hoenn is in the future it isn't.

----
On topic:

We know that all the Gym Leaders will be downloadable cause the World Tournament says you can battle all of them from different regions. We also know that each Gym Leader can only use 3 Pokemon similar as to how the Battle Frontier usually works.

My question is what do you think the Gym Leaders will use? Some had more than three and obviously they'd use their best Pokemon. Though would they only use Pokemon from their Region?

I can see Brock sporting Onix, Golem, and Aerodactyl.
Misty I see sporting Starmie, Golduck, and Seadra.

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
Years
We know that all the Gym Leaders will be downloadable cause the World Tournament says you can battle all of them from different regions. We also know that each Gym Leader can only use 3 Pokemon similar as to how the Battle Frontier usually works.

My question is what do you think the Gym Leaders will use? Some had more than three and obviously they'd use their best Pokemon. Though would they only use Pokemon from their Region?

I can see Brock sporting Onix, Golem, and Aerodactyl.
Misty I see sporting Starmie, Golduck, and Seadra.

Well, what I think might happen is that each leader is given six Pokemon, but during the tournament the game selects three random Pokemon from that list. That's what I hope they will do.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing this feature implemented. It'd be nice seeing downloadable characters like Red or N maybe, and not just leaders/champions. I wonder if Akuroma himself is either participating in this tournament, or if he's hosting it. Serebii says Cynthia's hosting it, but I don't really see it anywhere seeing as she's participating aswell from one of the screenshots.

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I'm thinking that they'll have a pool of Pokemon to choose from, and three will be randomly chosen each time you battle, just so you don't battle the same three each time... that would get boring. I'd hope that they'd be creative in their teams and movesets so you can't just go in with a supereffective Pokemon and sweep them. Using Blaine as an example, he could equip a Typhlosion with Thunderpunch or something, or use a Clefable with Fire Blast.

Right now it's just Champions and Leaders, but there's always some possibility of extending the roster to include others at some point in the future. If they, Leaf would be my vote - they've used her male counterpart in way too many games thus far. She needs love :) Again, they may limit it to Leader and Champions and not include others at all; it's still too early to call. GF has been pulling some pretty crafty tricks with these games; nothing would surprise me at this point.

And I've said this before, but I'd really rather see the Unova Gym Leaders have a rematch system separate from the tournament. I'm still wondering as well what Akuroma's role in all this is because he's not a Champion or a Leader, and he's not a character from a past game.

Still not sure if I'll like this, as the Battle Tower/Frontier was always a source of rage and frustration for me due to the hax luck, but I'll say it's an interesting idea.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
I think Cynthia, Lance and obviously Gary are not real Champions because they already lost their Champion titles to their games' protagonists, knowing that gens 1, 2 and 4 have already happened before B2/W2. That's why their all battle titles say "Trainer" not "Champion". I think they are just decided to be labeled as Champions instead of protagonists because they have more defined teams and aren't completely silent. Steven might the only real Champion left, seeing how in HG/SS he still says to be official Champion, meaning that most likely R/S/E take place after B2/W2.

Um...no there is a lot of things in the games that support Kanto and Hoenn being at the same time, you just don't acknowledge any of it cause you don't like the idea. Yes Steven makes a comment about the Hoenn Protags. It was a reference, the same things you used to justify music as a coincidence. If it wasn't a reference he wouldn't have said that. They also wouldn't have included the Lanette/Bill work, nor would they have acknowledged that Bill and Lanette were co creators of the PC System.

Its more fan speculation with little to no support that Hoenn comes after them in the time line. Why would they make a game that is so far in the time line so early? Why were the new Special Pokeballs that were invented in Gen 3 still in Gen 4 if Devon Corp hadn't invented them yet? Why was scott Searching around the world to test his One of a Kind Facility if there were other versions in Kanto and Johto? Yes Scott Opened the Battle Fronteir in Emerald, it wasn't opened/finished until Emerald's Post game. There are many facts from the games that support its placement with Kanto or between the three year period between Kanto and Johto.

Steven is still the Hoenn Champion meaning Wallace is a Gym Leader, so they are following Ruby/Sapphire story if Steven being in the World Tournament is any reference to Hoenn games. We've been told to stop discussing this in other threads, so lets stop please neither side is going to accept the other, all major sources have Kanto and Hoenn at the same time, so unless Gamefreak comes out and says that Hoenn is in the future it isn't.

I replied to this in new thread in Gaming Central.

Last edited:

Peeta

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 6, 2014
I don't just like it, I love it. It will give more to do than just run around, beat the E4, then do nothing but wifi and/or Battle Subway in Nimbasa ;; and eastern Unova is so BORING so I hope that this game is much improved in that area... post game, that is.

Korsola

エレクトロニック
Years
I can see them bringing Red in since he is the Master champion in GSCHGSS and Blue is both a Champion and Gym Leader. They only list a few so we may not even have the full list yet. Maybe the Tournament randomizes which Gym Leader/Champions you fight.

I think I saw something on Serebii.net where you can download additional gym leaders and champions during certain times. Maybe there will be events where you can download a new character for the tournament?

But yeah, I'm sure the game will randomize which characters you fight so that it's not redundant each time you enter. Well... at least I hope that this is what they'll do. o_o

Years
I think the Champions/Leaders should all be at least over Lv.70 and above IF the team levels aren't modified, i.e. random Battle Tower changes to Lv.50. Maybe Red's highest Pokemon could be Lv.100? (They need to retire Red... humiliating him with every game... honestly being beaten by the new kids on the block? Tsk, tsk...) I just hope Game Freak won't mess up this Battle Tournament for us with some pre-set level stuff. Well unless that's just one mode among more modes.

It'd be fun to go against teams that "cheat"/ have these random move sets that they normally shouldn't have. Also the AI should be programmed to use moves at the RIGHT time. Too many games have been ruined for me because the random Champion used moves that weren't supposed to be used (*stares at Cynthia's Milotic for overusing Aqua Ring*) as they could have beaten me. I like winning, just don't obliterate the epicness of the match.

I wonder what sort of event they'll have for the downloading? Wi-Fi seems the most probable. I do not want to go to Toys"R"Us for this...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I think the Champions/Leaders should all be at least over Lv.70 and above IF the team levels aren't modified, i.e. random Battle Tower changes to Lv.50. Maybe Red's highest Pokemon could be Lv.100? (They need to retire Red... humiliating him with every game... honestly being beaten by the new kids on the block? Tsk, tsk...) I just hope Game Freak won't mess up this Battle Tournament for us with some pre-set level stuff. Well unless that's just one mode among more modes.

It'd be fun to go against teams that "cheat"/ have these random move sets that they normally shouldn't have. Also the AI should be programmed to use moves at the RIGHT time. Too many games have been ruined for me because the random Champion used moves that weren't supposed to be used (*stares at Cynthia's Milotic for overusing Aqua Ring*) as they could have beaten me. I like winning, just don't obliterate the epicness of the match.

I wonder what sort of event they'll have for the downloading? Wi-Fi seems the most probable. I do not want to go to Toys"R"Us for this...

You probably haven't seen, but Nintendo pulled down the distribution centers in all the toys R us and Gamestops so the only way to get events is through wifi now.

Zerrah.

Mauling with Ursaring
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 15, 2018
All I can say is, if there is more opportunity to keep me interested post-game, then I'll take it. Hopefully they make the battle music awesome so I'll appreciate battling them over, and over, and over...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh yeah with the music there's lots of different routes they could go. For example, you could have the normal battle theme remixed, remix the gym leader theme of B/W OR have a theme for everyone... or just have it based on region, each region gets its own specific theme song, idk, whichever was the e4 theme song of each region maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back