• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mighty No. 9 - The Spiritual Successor to Mega Man

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
photo-main.jpg

Classic Japanese side-scrolling action, evolved and transformed by Keiji Inafune, an all-star team of veteran Mega Man devs...and YOU!
Mighty No. 9 is an all-new Japanese side-scrolling action game that takes the best aspects of the 8- and 16-bit era classics you know and love, and transforms them with modern tech, fresh mechanics, and fan input into something fresh and amazing!
You play as Beck, the 9th in a line of powerful robots, and the only one not infected by a mysterious computer virus that has caused mechanized creatures the world over to go berserk. Run, jump, blast, and transform your way through six stages (or more, via stretch goals) you can tackle in any order you choose, using weapons and abilities stolen from your enemies to take down your fellow Mighty Number robots and confront the final evil that threatens the planet!
Quotes taken from the Kickstarter Page.

Earlier this week, Mega Man creator Keji Inafune announced a new platformer , one that he even says is highly inspired by Mega Man. Mighty No. 9 is the first game developed by Inafune's company, Comcept. A Kickstarter page for the game was created, and it has already passed its goal. The game is currently slated for release for PC, Mac, and Linux sometime in 2015 and has both a single player and co-op mode!. Backers are given such perks as having their names put in the credits, being allowed to design enemies, and (at $10000) have dinner with Inafune.

The game has been fully funded, with all stretch goals reached, and over $4,000,000 raised! Congratulations Comcept!

What do you think about this project? What do you think about fans being allowed to help out? Do you think Capcom will have a problem with this game being so similar to Mega Man?

Game coming to PC, Mac, Linux, PS3, 360, PS4, XBOne, Wii U, 3DS, and PSVITA! So, pretty much any current gen/next gen console out there.

EDIT: Game fully funded, with over $4,000,000 raised!

Last edited:

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
I never really got into the Megaman series, I just gotta say. With that said, I have read about how bad said series have been treated over recently and the downfall of MML3 (presumably at the hands of Capcom of Japan). Seeing and reading this project...I don't how to explain, but it gave me a sense of excitement. Watching the Kickstarter video it was like I was overcome with sort of positive emotion. It was like a shiver went down my spine hahaha.

From my viewpoint, it seems like this team really cares about doing what they feel should be right. I'd say I hope this does go the full 100% and this becomes a reality.

Years
I've recently started playing Mega Man games (thanks to the 3DS' Virtual Console), so this interests me. It does look very, very similar and so it wouldn't surprise me if Capcom had something to say. But we'll see. I'm looking forward to the game.

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
Wow, this is pretty big news. At first glance, I thought they just upgraded Megaman's armor and gave him a more modern look. A whole new game is something entirely different, and quite the interesting move by Capcom. I'll definitely be following this closely, because it's going to be a major challenge to make this game unique and not a carbon copy of its Megaman counterpart. I'm glad that they're trying to bring something back though.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
I'm a big fan of the original Megaman games, and Mighty No. 9 just looks so amazing that I had to fund it. Overall, I have big expectations for this game, especially with Inafune at the helm.
A whole new game is something entirely different, and quite the interesting move by Capcom.
Just to note. Capcom has no involvement with Mighty No. 9. As it's being created by Keiji Inafune's own company, Comcept, and other key developers.

Years
My boyfriend is super excited for this. I'm thrilled to see they've reached their funding goal in only a few days.. and people will probably continue to pitch in during the remaining month. They've also reached the goal for a Mac version already, whee! :-D

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've never been a fan of the original series (was only a fan of Battle Network and Starforce), but I'm glad that it's getting a reincarnation. I'd like to see them take this series as far as they possibly can, and not just give up on it like they did with Mega Man. Capcom most likely won't have any problems with them, since they seem to have lost their interest in Mega Man completely. d:

Sometime this week, I'll make a $20 donation to them to help raise their funding target and show my support.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I've played only a few of the original series (Megaman 8), but, heck, this does sound interesting, and I'm glad Capcom decided to pick back up on the Megaman "tradition" so to speak. Sigh, it was quite a pity on how they completely drop the Megaman series, but, yeah.

Years
Looks like an awesome game to come, though we do have to wait until like... 2015? It reached a goal of $900,000 in 24 hours, which obviously means one thing... lots of people are behind this. I'm really hoping this doesn't sorely disappoint us, though we aren't just talking about some no-namer.

Wow, this is pretty big news. At first glance, I thought they just upgraded Megaman's armor and gave him a more modern look. A whole new game is something entirely different, and quite the interesting move by Capcom. I'll definitely be following this closely, because it's going to be a major challenge to make this game unique and not a carbon copy of its Megaman counterpart. I'm glad that they're trying to bring something back though.

Capcom has nothing to do with this, it's a project by Keiji Inafune and his team.

Edit: I didn't look at Barrage's post there, though I'll still leave this up for reference.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I think that Capcom is going to have issues with the similarities, but they can't do anything about it. Legally they might be able to, but going after the creator of one of your companies most well known franchises would piss off pretty much every one of their fans.

Ultra - Retro Reviver!

Ultra - Retro Reviver
Years
Megaman is my absolute favourite side-scroller series. Yes, that means more than the Mario and Kirby series. But, this looks amazing. Take a pre-existing concept and more "originalise" it. Looking forward to this!! :D

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
I just checked, and the Kickstarter has raised over $2,000,000! Amazing! And of course, they went and added like 10 more stretch goals. Still though, the amount of support this game is getting is amazing!

FlamingRage

Can you feel my rage?
Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2015
Mega man has always been my favorite side scroller series too. And the legends series, that was just brilliant, I daresay I liked it more than pokemon!

I really hope capcom will just sell them mega man so they can make legends 3, but I still get the feeling they'll continue to be the jerks they are and sue the pants off of Keiji.

Years
They're so close to being able to release PS3/360/Wii U versions oh my gosh. This is amazing; so glad to see the kickstarter doing well. :)) I was never that into Megaman outside Battle Network but this is going to be amazing.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
As a long time Megaman fan, I just pledged for the physical copy of the game (and I'm praying to get a MM1-esque cover art- please!). Really, I'm very happy we are getting this- although I'll miss Dr. Wily's eyebrows. I'm sure they'll find something else to make up for it.

I hope it looks more like a proper up-to-date Megaman 11 than a Megaman Xwhatevernumber. I want it to be as hard as possible.

Last edited:

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I don't really have much to add outside of "personally funded". More importantly, I'm happy to see Inafune put his money where his mouth is. That's what I love to see in the game industry, men of action.

Zet

Years
I went with the $99 pledge. It's all I could spare, and I look forward to how well Mighty No. 9 will turn out. I also hope it teaches Capcom a lesson... don't mess with megaman fans.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
Years
I've been a Megaman fan since ever I'm so pumped for this game, does anyone know if there's a release date or expected release date yet?

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2017
Even as someone who wouldn't consider himself a fan of them Mega Man franchise, I'm very excited to see where this spiritual successor will go after how well it has done on Kickstarter. Considering how much Capcom has decayed over the years the fact this is a separate Inafune project just makes me even more hopeful.

Yumetaro

MAI RIBBONS
Years
When I first heard the name, I thought it was another Mighty game from WayForward.

Being the Mega Man nut I am, I am happily welcoming Beck to the party. I am definitely getting the game when it is released.

Back