• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 29, 2020
Hi, I just read the LetterLock Challenge, and was inspired to create another somewhat similar challenge. This challenge would still be quite different from it though, as you make the chain as you go.

One rule: The team you play with MUST keep the chain (see Letterlock challenge) intact!

Basically, it comes down to the following:
- Imagine you start with Turtwig, like the example in the read letterlock thread, You can catch Gastly. Then you can catch Yanma. However, Gastly evolves into Haunter! This means you have to rush to the PC and ditch all pokemon except one, because you can't make a chain otherwise (you could keep just Haunter for example, allowing you to catch Rufflet and add Turtwig back in your team, until...).
- You can always go to the PC and switch some of your Pokemon, but you must keep the chain intact.
- Finally having a chain of 6 pokemon, you can catch any pokemon you want. But when you want to use them, you have to make a proper chain. Failing to making a chain of 6 pokemon means that you can't catch pokemon that don't fit the chain.

There is still one flaw in this idea: I don't want to make a solo challenge of it, so, there should be a rule of 'at least x number of pokemon' in it, so maybe something like 'have at least as many pokemon as you have badges', but I don't want to make it too hard.

This challenge would NOT be a nuzlocke, because the combination kills the fun: you must be allowed to keep catching pokemon because you are already puzzling with the chain.

The reason I'm not trying to make a thread of this is because I just started a monocolour challenge. But feel free to do so anytime! (And finalize the idea into a proper challenge)

UKS

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
What's your opinion on allowing Mega Evolution's type changes on Monotypes?
Like Mega Gengar on a Psy monotype or Mega Ampharos on a Dragon Evolution.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
What's your opinion on allowing Mega Evolution's type changes on Monotypes?
Like Mega Gengar on a Psy monotype or Mega Ampharos on a Dragon Evolution.

But aren't Mega Evolutions just in-battle changes? So for example, I wouldn't mind someone using Mega Ampharos in an Electric mono, but not Dragon, because it's not permanently a Dragon type.

I'm not very far in the game though, so I could be wrong.

UKS

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
But aren't Mega Evolutions just in-battle changes? So for example, I wouldn't mind someone using Mega Ampharos in an Electric mono, but not Dragon, because it's not permanently a Dragon type.

I'm not very far in the game though, so I could be wrong.

They are indeed only in-battle changes.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
I'll get to revamp my challenges once Necrum finishes a playthrough of his X/Y x.x cause I don't own a 3DS or anything and I'd rather go for accurate info.

On a side note, how much are X/Y worth over there? o.o
Because I just found the games sold in a huge store here and they cost like $60 >.< I can't really afford that .-. and even if I did, i don't own a 3DS anyways x.x
And a freakin 3DS costs like $300 over here >.<
So I'd need to pay $360 to be able to play X/Y.... That's $360 that I don't have .-.

That's $60 for one game. if I wanted both I'd have to pay $120 .-.

EDIT: turns out the one I saw was a 3DS XL. The regular 3DS console's like $213.

All those prices don't include the VAT.

Last edited:

UKS

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
Speaking of adapting challenges, when will you make the X/Y Favorite Challenge, Syd?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm going to try to update Gym Leader on Sunday, TCG won't need it til February, Gender Dis I'll get to Sunday hopefully, and Favorite will be remade in January to kick off the new year, and it'll be after Christmas so more people should have the games then. :) Till then though, the B2W2 Favorite Challenge will still be around.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I have Monotype up to date as far as I can tell. I don't think there's anything to change on The Ones That Got Away. Also Favorites will be easier when we have access to Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Transporter, which will be about the time you said.

Whyvile

Toot your horns
Years
I got an idea that sounds a bit interest

Behold, the Shin Megami Tensei Challenge

Rules:

1) Trading is only allowed to evolve Pokemon

2) The only types allowed are Fire, Electric, Ice, Flying, Fighting, Normal, and Dark.

3) To evolve a Pokemon, you must sacrifice (release) another one of the same type, for "fusion". Third stage evolutions require two fusions. The Pokemon must have at least one move that's the same as a sacrificed 'mon, though you are allowed to replace it. If the pokemon gains a type upon evolution, you must sacrifice a Pokemon with both typings as well (or two pokemon with the two types)

4) Pokemon of the types not listed may be used for HM's only. They are not allowed to participate in battle for anything, nor are they to be fused.

5) The challenge ends when you defeat Gary in Fire/Red and Blue/LeafGreen, Red in Heart/Gold and Soul/Silver (and Crystal), Steven in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, Cynthia in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, Alder in Black/White, Iris in Black 2/White 2, and whoever the crap the champion is in Pokemon X/Y. Those playing the Orre Games will need to defeat Evice in Colosseum, and Greevil in Gales of Darkness.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
I think this could be a really interesting idea. Now with X and Y out there's a fancy little feature called wonder trade. What I propose is a wonderlocke! Its a nuzlocke challenge in which you have to wonder trade away every pokemon you catch as your first catch of the route. Now there are two extra rules that need to be followed here: Legendaries are forbidden and if you luckily get one through wonder trade you must either trade it away, or catch and send another of the prior pokemon's kind for another wonder trade. For pokemon that are too strong for the area in the game you are at you should get a friend or someone to send you a ditto so you can breed them and then raise the baby from the ground up.
Otherwise its a traditional nuzlocke minus the ability to nickname the pokemon you recieve in wonder trade unfortunately. :( (Unless you have to do the breeding thing then you can nickname no prob.)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 29, 2020

Rules:

2) The only types allowed are Fire, Electric, Ice, Flying, Fighting, Normal, and Dark.

3) To evolve a Pokemon, you must sacrifice (release) another one of the same type, for "fusion". Third stage evolutions require two fusions. The Pokemon must have at least one move that's the same as a sacrificed 'mon, though you are allowed to replace it. If the pokemon gains a type upon evolution, you must sacrifice a Pokemon with both typings as well (or two pokemon with the two types)

4) Pokemon of the types not listed may be used for HM's only. They are not allowed to participate in battle for anything, nor are they to be fused.

5) The challenge ends when you defeat Gary in Fire/Red and Blue/LeafGreen, Red in Heart/Gold and Soul/Silver (and Crystal), Steven in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, Cynthia in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, Alder in Black/White, Iris in Black 2/White 2, and whoever the crap the champion is in Pokemon X/Y. Those playing the Orre Games will need to defeat Evice in Colosseum, and Greevil in Gales of Darkness.

This one sounds interesting. I have some questions/comments though...

- Why the type restrictions?
- I think you may want to include some limitations on catching pokemon (like in the nuzlocke challenge), to make it a bit more of a trade-off to sacrifice for an evolution. The nuzlocke challenge itself might be a bit to much though, because then you are already very restricted in numbers and may not want to sacrifice anything at all.
- I would suggest to put in a rule that says the sacrificed pokemon must be of the same level or higher as the to be evolved pokemon. This is to avoid a quick 'catch and sacrifice'.

For the rest, just some refinements of the conditions, make sure there are no gaps in the rules (for example, way it is stated now, the number of pokemon necessary to evolve for the second evolution could be interpreted as one, because you already sacrificed one for the first evolution).

I would love to participate in this challenge someday (though there are others I want to participate in as well, and time is limiting). Keep up the good work:)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I said I was gonna update my challenges today and look what I didn't do lol. Gender Dis would be easy to update though since it's just adding more Pokemon to a list, but Gym Leader is gonna be annoying as hell.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I actually have plans to run a Wonder Trade challenge where players build their team with Pokemon obtained using Wonder Trade. Not everything needs to be a locke you know. :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024

Rules:

I'd add Psychic to it and even Grass and well, all the types to be honest.
As a SMT fan and a player of certain SMT games and the SMT: Imagien MMO, I could tell you that all types fit the various demons in SMT.
I got a few ideas for such a challenge and I could get it up and running by the end of the week ^^
Since I am eager to participate in anything SMT related xD

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 29, 2020
I agree with that as well, the more variation the better, but still: at least the nuzlocke challenge is actually challenging. Back in the old days (first gen), I did a solo challenge (twice: Pidgeot and Beedrill) without knowing it because it was more easy than using a full team. Now I am doing a mono-colour challenge blue (heartgold), but it isn't hard at all (not with Weorr the Wobbuffet anyway, he takes out the tough guys at gyms, Poliwrath, Steelix, Piloswine, Kingdra)...

Of course it is easy to think of a hard challenge, but it has to be fun as well. For example, I'm still thinking of doing a solo-challenge with Ditto, but I'm afraid it's going to be very boring.

(if you know a challenge I missed that is actually hard, fun, and not a Nuzlocke, you're more than welcome to bring it to my attention)

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
Hello! I just got another idea for a challenge, which I probably won't do for a while because I have around 4 on the go right now. I do want some way for Pokemon to die or become useless in it, though, and I don't want to do the standard Locke-death. Does anybody have any ideas on different ways for them to die/be put out of commission? If you could share them I would be eternally grateful :) :) :) Thanks!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 29, 2020
@11wildy: sounds interesting. I will try that one day. Is there a thread for that?

@MiniMinum: 'faint' = 'death' sounds so natural. I can't think of much more than just deviations from it, like, 'pkmn only dies if not revived on the spot', etc. You could also let them die of old age or something, but that doesn't add to the difficulty level of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back