• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: Leon's DPE + CFRU Base and Ultimate Rom Base

Prof. Leon Dias

Let your memes be dreams
Years
View attachment 87067Leon Labs Presents: Leon's DPE + CFRU ROM Base

IMPORTANT UPDATE
(08/29/2023)
Sorry for the delay everyone! This is a long awaited update that many have asked for. The ROM Base has now been updated to fix several past issues as well as to be more compatible with the CFRU Dev Branch. Outdated information has been updated or removed entirely, decreasing any confusion. As a bonus, the Ability Patch item has been added to the data.

If you are still confused by the instructions included in the download or via the tutorials, I recommend taking a look at Pyxal's post here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=443233

Introduction
Some of you may have already seen or heard about Skeli and Ghoulslash's project- the Complete Fire Red Engine Upgrade with Dynamic Pokemon Expansion.
Some of you may have tried out its features, and some ROM Hacks are already being worked on using these incredible systems. However, there are some hurdles. Some people, especially those new at ROM Hacking do not have much experience with C Injection, or are put off by a lot of work that will have to be done when using it. A sizable chunk of people who do understand it have also opted to use Decomps instead (although if you have the knowledge to use Decomps then you have the knowledge to use CFRU).
My new base accounts for this in a few ways and is intended to bridge the gap to allow binary Fire Red hacking to not only catch up to Pokeemerald, but to be accessible to more people.
For those of you who have never heard of Dynamic Pokémon Expansion and the Complete Fire Red Upgrade, look at this link and come back: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=425447

Do Note: If you are completely new to ROM Hacking, this probably isn't for you. This requires at least an intermediate level of understanding and practice to use effectively. CFRU has a lot of features, but you have to know at least a little bit of what you're doing to use it to its fullest potential. This Base definitely aids in making it easier and more accessible, but the rest is up to you.

Please Note : Link to the old (non-DPE/CFRU) base has been removed. I made it clear that it shouldn't be used, and that no support will be offered for it, yet I still I have people asking for said support. Its gone and not coming back. The older post has been removed entirely, due to its redundancy.

Download Includes:
  • Leon's DPE+CFRU ROM Base
  • Terms of Usage
  • Installation and Usage Instructions
  • Documentation of Mandatory Edits to DPE and CFRU Files
  • Documentation of Optional Edits to DPE and CFRU Files
  • Notes and Documentation of included features
  • Documentation of Various ASM Routines Used
  • Rom Hack Planning Resources, one made by yours truly!
  • A List of Occupied Offsets and Free Space
  • An Optional Patch Folder made to go along with the Base
  • A Compatible Tools Pack
  • A Bonus Sprite Pack
Credit is given to the creator of various tools, patches and resources!

Main Features
  • Full Decapitalization of Pokémon Fire Red using my Ultimate Decapitalization Patch found here:
  • Sideways Stairs Implementation
  • Game Freak PRESENTS Fix
  • Over 400 New Items set up to be used with CFRU (CFRU required for most to work)
  • An NPC in Viridian Forest to test the above mentioned items
  • Tons of new Overworld NPC Sprites made by Kalarie
  • Badge Based Pokemart Scripts

Optional Things Included
  • BW Style Summary Screen + Colored Nature Stats and IV Ranking in the Summary
  • Squeetz's Music Patch
  • All Instruments Patch
  • HGSS Kanto Music Patch
  • HGSS Johto Music Patch
  • Diamond, Pearl and Platinum Font Patch
  • Party Screen Modification Patches in FR, HGSS and BW Style

Purpose and Function
The purpose of this patch is to build your own customized rom hack using DPE and CFRU, while getting the annoying part of setup out of the way.
As DPE and CFRU are not included with this patch, you are given more than enough free reign on how to customize your own ROM Hack!
The DPE and CFRU repositories are occasionally updated with each commit as people test out this incredible system, while also reporting any bugs that they find.

The intent of this project is to help speed up the process in which rom hacks are made by minimizing the tedium that the rom hacker would have to go through in order to simply get started (such as a new item table).
If you would rather maximize free space by not having those features included, or overall foregoing the above features, then I recommend starting on a vanilla 1636 Squirrels Fire Red Rom V1.0 with my Ultimate Decapitalization Patch and work from there.

There is no intention of plagiarizing as I have worked closely with Skeli on both adding Generation 8 compatibility, as well as relaying information through bug testing.
I will give credit where it is due- I have had no hand in either repositories outside of exclusively Generation 8 content. I have merely taken the liberty of making this wonderful system more accessible to those who do not want to complicate their lives with inserting item data and small ASM routines.

Once again, I highly recommend reading the CFRU documentation provided by Skeli as it will undoubtedly answer many questions that you may have, as well as directing your queries to Skeli's discord server.

If you have questions about this patch itself and how to use it, direct your questions to me instead.

Here is the download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/nr1iertck8dm0sx/Leons+Rom+Base+8-29-23+Update.zip/file

For the love of all that is good, read the documents that I included in the download before asking questions that are probably already answered in there, for your sanity and mine. READ. THE. DOCUMENTS.

Q&A Section
Spoiler:

Credits are in the download.

Some Tutorials to help out:
I recommend that you speed up each video to 1.75x speed.

Setting up DevkitPro and Python
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=542jj04YZPE

Patching the Base + DPE Required Edits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6FZAOFK_1Y

CFRU Required Edits + Testing C Injection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEe4A3F0RkI

Last edited:

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years
Wow. This is amazing! It sucks that I've already started on my hack with another ROM Base, but this is just awesome! The ultimate ROM Base -- from what it seems. Great job.

Years
Why did you remove all new items? Did mrds use the exact routines posted in the asm resource thread? Because they don't seem bugged when I tried them?

Why did you remove those moves? I have some and they don't seem bugged?

Why rse/em music over hgss music? I have a fix (credits skeli) for the music bug if that's the reason.

Your notes never mention why you rearranged abilites. When you rearranged, did you change their index number in their specific routines? Aka you have made sure any reorangized abilites work properly?

What bugs are you aware of whether your bugs or mrds.

Years
From OP, messaged me in discord:

The mega particles are just 3 images inserted to free space with the very end of a table that MrDS left open ended with their pointers

Growth was bugged to always boost Atk and SPA by 2 stages regardless of sunlight, some moves like Tailwind had bugged text in doubles especially or just didnt work, same with abilities

Rearranged abilities are just from 2 slots, I swapped them in a pokemon editor. For example Geodude would have Rock Head/Sturdy. I made it Sturdy/Rock Head, as opposing trainers use the first of the two in battle.

I used RSE music because I figured that 2 regions worth of music was nice and it fit a Gen 3 theme

I removed the items because it seems no matter what I did, Black Sludge, Eviolite, etc. just would not work at all for me

The save block hack is included within MrDS base

Last edited:

Prof. Leon Dias

Let your memes be dreams
Years
From OP, messaged me in discord:

The mega particles are just 3 images inserted to free space with the very end of a table that MrDS left open ended with their pointers

Growth was bugged to always boost Atk and SPA by 2 stages regardless of sunlight, some moves like Tailwind had bugged text in doubles especially or just didnt work, same with abilities

Rearranged abilities are just from 2 slots, I swapped them in a pokemon editor. For example Geodude would have Rock Head/Sturdy. I made it Sturdy/Rock Head, as opposing trainers use the first of the two in battle.

I used RSE music because I figured that 2 regions worth of music was nice and it fit a Gen 3 theme

I removed the items because it seems no matter what I did, Black Sludge, Eviolite, etc. just would not work at all for me

The save block hack is included within MrDS base

Can confirm, I did just type that in discord.

Prof. Leon Dias

Let your memes be dreams
Years
I can confirm that all the Pokemon from my 807 + Alolans + Megas ROMbase will work with this base when imported using PGE. Leon, can you provide a PGE .ini with this so that others can use PGE with this base?

All in all, one great base! I like it.

The PGE ini is included in the ini folder, titled "roms.ini"

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
I'm testing Leon's Ultimate Fire Red Base.ips with the removal patches individually and while Remove BW Selection Screen.ips and Remove DPPt Text.ips seem to be working, "Remove BW Summary Screen.ips" is not.
The game freezes when moving onto the 2nd screen inside a pokémon's summary.
mzpulDB.gif

It'd be cool if you could add a patch to remove the HP Boxes at some point.
Overall, the base sounds pretty fine in terms of features. Nice work :)

Prof. Leon Dias

Let your memes be dreams
Years
I'm testing Leon's Ultimate Fire Red Base.ips with the removal patches individually and while Remove BW Selection Screen.ips and Remove DPPt Text.ips seem to be working, "Remove BW Summary Screen.ips" is not.
The game freezes when moving onto the 2nd screen inside a pokémon's summary.
mzpulDB.gif

It'd be cool if you could add a patch to remove the HP Boxes at some point.
Overall, the base sounds pretty fine in terms of features. Nice work :)

I believe the issue stems from the nature colored stats routines located at 0xF30000. Removing this as well as reverting the pointers at x137134, 137158, 13717C, 1371A4, 1371C8, and 1371F0, (or changing it to how the asm was originally written here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9043890&postcount=816) should fix this.

In hindsight, I probably should have included that in the removal patch, I was in a rush when I created it. Ill update it by tomorrow probably.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
I believe the issue stems from the nature colored stats routines located at 0xF30000. Removing this as well as reverting the pointers at x137134, 137158, 13717C, 1371A4, 1371C8, and 1371F0, (or changing it to how the asm was originally written here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9043890&postcount=816) should fix this.

In hindsight, I probably should have included that in the removal patch, I was in a rush when I created it. Ill update it by tomorrow probably.

Can confirm, it's working now.
2018-06-10_22-00-59.gif

In case someone didn't understand:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Prof. Leon Dias

Let your memes be dreams
Years
Thanks to the help of Lunos and Xizqu, I have found a number of bugs that will be fixed within the week. They are:

Forgot to remove the guy in the bedroom that gives you the mega ring (testing phase)
Hitmonchan is Grass/Poison for some reason
Link Cable doesnt work and sends you back to the menu
Need to decap Itemfinder and in game trades
Tall grass fix made the grass on route 17 weird
Golden pokeballs glitch sometimes due to movement permissions

The OP will be updated accordingly

Thoriére

[i]If everything's a dream, don't wake me.[/i]
Years
My friend, I really have no idea how I can repay you for this. It's really to the point that I'm going to restart my own hack to bring it onto this updated engine -- even including the ~week I'l need to spend migrating my previous work onto the new ROM (not too long as I have all my sprites and scripts/tilesets/etc. saved externally), you may have shaved a solid few months or more off of my development, and considering that I'm the only person on my entire team, I really can't thank you enough. I'll be patching a clean ROM with this as soon as you update the OP with the bug fixes you mentioned in your last post. You've done FireRed hackers everywhere an enormous service!

Prof. Leon Dias

Let your memes be dreams
Years
VERSION 1.1 IS RELEASED.

Included are the following bug fixes:
Removed the guy in the bedroom that gives you the Mega Ring (leftover from testing)
Fixed Hitmonchan being Grass/Poison
Fixed new evolution stones not working
Decapped Itemfinder text and In Game Trade nicknames
Fixed Tall Grass bug on the cycling road
Attempted to fix Golden Pokeball error, but not sure 100% if fixed.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
This is a really phenomenal ROM Base, so thank you for putting all of this together! I remember having to manually input a lot of these features myself for an old hack and it was a nightmare trying to get it all coordinated lol.

If I could make a suggestion, I highly recommend adding this turbo boost code. It makes grinding so much easier and more enjoyable. I never play FireRed unless I have this hack on it.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Is it possible to make a removal patch for the DNS, or at the very least a version of the base that doesn't include it? I am not a fan of the horrible screen tints lol.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 25, 2019
Compiled from the source.
So does that mean I have to edit the .ini to make the Pokemon mega evolve, like the one in Touched's Thread? I saw the .ini and it wasn't edited to make the Pokemon mega evolve...

Prof. Leon Dias

Let your memes be dreams
Years
So does that mean I have to edit the .ini to make the Pokemon mega evolve, like the one in Touched's Thread? I saw the .ini and it wasn't edited to make the Pokemon mega evolve...

Sorry about that. I'm actually remaking the patch to allow for MUCH more free space. If you could give me a few days to update the whole thing, the updated ini will be provided as well.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 18, 2019
Excuse me but how the mega evolution is activated or where is the .3 of g3t where the position of mega evolution is as in the patch of touched
PS: I do not speak English

Back