• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Making more use of the [user] tag

Years
I have quite a small suggestion to make.

Currently, if you want to refer to a user with their member ranks, you have to use one of the six bbcodes available: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7434254&postcount=2

What about simplifying it even further with by using one BBcode, [user]? Way it works currently is, you type in [usr]Seattle[/usr] (user instead of usr), which looks like this: [user]Seattle[/user]

With the changes, [usr]Seattle[/usr] (again, user instead of usr) would look like: [supporter]Seattle[/supporter], along with the link that leads to the user's profile, which is not shown. In turn, if I was a moderator, [usr]Seattle[/usr] (again, user instead of usr) would look like: Seattle, again without the link to the profile. No need to memorize the supporter tag and mod tag, just do away with the user tag.

It's kind of difficult to get the point across with this because of the auto-formatting of the BBcode (unless there's something I'm forgetting) and it's difficult to show the actual desired effect of my new suggested [user] tag. I've tried my best explaining this concept, but if you still don't understand it I can explain it again in hopefully a more friendly way.

Years
Good suggestion. It's actually already in the works, except you'll type @username and it'll generate a link like the one you click in posts with view profile/send message/find posts, etc., and also notify the user that you've mentioned them.
Wow, I'm all for that idea! Except one thing's for sure though, would there possibly be a way to disable the notifications of such feature, that way it doesn't clog one's notifications up?

Honest

Hi!
Years
Good suggestion. It's actually already in the works, except you'll type @username and it'll generate a link like the one you click in posts with view profile/send message/find posts, etc., and also notify the user that you've mentioned them.

It's official. I have found a higher being.

I love this oh so much. <3

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I don't know what everyone's thing is with notifications. Why does it matter if you get one or two notifications a day (if even that much - nobody's going to be saying your name in posts that often!) from something like this? It's just a higher bold number in the top right of your index, and can be gotten rid of by visiting the notifications, which takes a couple of seconds out of your time if you have that much of a vendetta against seeing it there. :P

Anywhoooo, great suggestion, Seattle; I hope it gets put into effect soon.

Years
I don't know what everyone's thing is with notifications. Why does it matter if you get one or two notifications a day (if even that much - nobody's going to be saying your name in posts that often!) from something like this? It's just a higher bold number in the top right of your index, and can be gotten rid of by visiting the notifications, which takes a couple of seconds out of your time if you have that much of a vendetta against seeing it there. :P

Anywhoooo, great suggestion, Seattle; I hope it gets put into effect soon.

I...dont think it's for the number. I think it's so you know if someone mentioned you... y'know... to get... notified...?

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
That sort of device of fetching the member's default usergroup from a database and displaying the correct HTML formatting would require some PHP, most likely. Not that it can't be done, though!

It'll definitely be more than you could implement in a built-in custom BBcode editor, though.

Because people are obsessed with themselves and how popular they might be. It's an issue with the ego of the person in question—an issue lot of us (myself included) have, and it's really not something you can ask someone to "not do". Nonetheless, I still stand by what you said there, and humbly agree with it. :)

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I...dont think it's for the number. I think it's so you know if someone mentioned you... y'know... to get... notified...?

Who... cares? I think the benefit of knowing you've been notified far outweighs the miniscule disadvantage actually getting the notification brings.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Who... cares? I think the benefit of knowing you've been notified far outweighs the miniscule disadvantage actually getting the notification brings.
I like peace and quiet, you may not.
I like the colour red, while you might prefer blue.
I enjoy eating bacon, while you might hate bacon.

What is miniscule to you, may not be miniscule to everyone else.

Years
I dont think it's a matter of wanting to know how popular you are, it's just so that, if someone was talking about you or something, you'd know? Idk, I think that'd be a nice thing to know. Maybe it's because I use this forum in a different way, but if, say, someone in ROM Hacking's Simple Questions thread answered a question with "maybe ask Spherical Ice, he's done something like that in his hack" I'd be able to know and just deal with it there. I dunno. That's how I'd use the feature, not as some vain way to measure my popularity :/

(anyway, doesnt the number go away once you open the notification?)

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I like peace and quiet, you may not.
I like the colour red, while you might prefer blue.
I enjoy eating bacon, while you might hate bacon.

What is miniscule to you, may not be miniscule to everyone else.

How is having a couple of notifications every now and then comparable to your examples?

It's not a matter of a bloated ego or thinking you're popular, it's a matter of having a notification to check just like when you have a VM or PM. I'm not seeing where it's a big deal.

Back