• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In-Game Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2021
Kadabra is fine, it is still very powerful with an excellent 120 Sp. Atk and high speed. Mr. Mime is an alternative psychic type with less SpAtk and more balanced defensive stats. Though if you don't want to use him you can replace him with pretty much anyone, you don't really need a psychic type as you should have mostly any opponent covered with the current team.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
I'm currently in the midst of a Leaf Green playthrough and I'm unsure about what moves to put on my Charizard.

I've got:
Flamethrower
Ariel Ace
Slash (planning on replacing it with Dragon Claw)
Steel Wing or Iron Tail

I usually have Earthquake in place of the Steel Type moves in order to handle Rock types but I'm using a Nidoking this time around and intend to teach it Earthquake instead.

Years
RoreyG, have you considered Sunny Day? IMHO a 4th attack is not your optimal choice here, you've got your bases covered, but if you want to keep him out for a while, Sunny Day prevents Water from decimating him in one hit, makes him hit harder, and potentially sets up other pokemon as well, depending on who you're bringing to the table.

Now, posting here as I understand this to be the correct section:

I'm currently playing White, and I'm having some trouble deciding on my moveset for Lilligant. Between the immunity to confusion and the plethora of means of gaining life, not to mention the Massive special attack and well balanced stats, she's a shoe in to compliment my Emboar and take down all the pokemon he has trouble with. The trouble I'm having is in deciding her desired moveset. I have 2 I want for sure, and another 3 I'd like in an ideal world, which is obviously one too many. In addition, I may have missed something obvious, so suggestions are always welcome. Here's my thoughts so far:

Giga Drain- Obviously. I gain life, it gets STAB, does reasonable damage, and has perfect base accuracy? Sign me up.
Sleep Powder- I like moves that put opponents to sleep. In addition to being great for reducing her incoming damage and/or forcing a swap, it's wonderful for catching pokemon in the wild, which is important to me. A must have. It's no Spore, but it'll do.

The 3 in debate:
Petal Dance- Does GREAT damage, very PP efficient (essentially it's like a 120 base power move with 25PP and 100% accuracy), and as she has own tempo, it doesn't confuse her. The downside? It locks her actions until it plays out, which means if things go south (she KOs someone and they send out a Bug/Poison type, for example) I have no way of reacting to it. As Grass is much more of a specialty type than, say, water, it's a dangerous thing to be locked in that long.
Aromatherapy- Cures all status ailments- for the whole party! When you've beaten 4 of 6 pokemon, but you have someone paralyzed, someone poisoned, and someone who put themselves to sleep via Rest, having that kind of reset power is beyond useful, it's a game changer. Also, not having to use items when slogging through an area full of pokemon who like status ailments is nice. The downside? It's an incredibly specialized need, and may only come into play a handful of times. Sure, it'll be fantastic when it is needed, and if I don't have it then I'll regret it, but will I regret it more than the number of times I stare at the 5/5 PP which hasn't seen action in days?
Quiver Dance- Raises Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, and Speed, all in one move! After 1 use, that's 50% more damage done, 33% less damage taken (from special), and essentially a guarantee I'm going first. Worth it during any battle in which she's fighting more than 1 pokemon. 2 uses and her already high Sp. Atk means against anyone not resistant to Grass, she's unbeatable. The downside? As Grass is a specialty type, she'll never be a true sweeper. Even if she fights more than 1 pokemon in a battle, it is in No way guaranteed they'll be in a row, and unless a fight takes more than 4 turns (unlikely if she's super effective against her opponent, which most of the time she will be), it would have been more effective from an offensive end to just attack, or from a defensive end to put them to sleep. Either way, the stat boost was a wasted move.

Other options:
Leech Seed (additional healing, which carries over if she switches)
Hidden Power Fire (for enemies where Grass won't work but which don't require immediate switching)
Entrainment (For getting rid of troublesome abilities, as Own Tempo is a relatively innocuous ability on an enemy)

Thoughts?

Btw, I'm new to the forums, and thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Years
I personally think your suggestions so far are good, but given ingame experiences and stuff I've read myself I think I might have found the perfect moveset for Lilligant.

Based on what I know, the usual best recommended moveset for ingame Lilligant is the following: Sleep Powder, Giga Drain, Petal Dance and Quiver Dance. Lilligant's Grass attacks alone may run into problems but they will hit pretty hard after a Quiver Dance boost or two and its Speed isn't too shabby so it can pull it off well.

Petal Dance is great in conjunction with Own Tempo since it won't confuse you, and Giga Drain deals damage while giving you free healing. Sleep Powder is handy for debilitating foes into sleeping where it can give you a good opportunity to set up Quiver Dances and then hit hard.

Hidden Power Fire is handy for covering a few of Grass' weaknesses, but it's more preferred on competitive sets. Remember that Quiver Dance is a must-have since that's part of Lilligant's usual strategy, competitive or not.

Last edited:
Years
Hmm, I've decided Aromatherapy is a "must have" for me personally (I hate status ailments, and no one else on my team can use it or heal bell). I don't want to abandon her self healing (or leave her with only petal dance as an attack), so Giga Drain stays, and we agree Sleep Powder is super useful. That leaves me with the decision- Petal Dance or Quiver Dance. You say Quiver Dance is a must have, and using it makes her more controlled, as well as more powerful at self healing, but Petal Dance is more powerful than Giga Drain (even after 1 Quiver Dance), so my options would be as follows:
Put the enemy to sleep, use Quiver Dance twice to buff, then burn them down with a 150 base attack Giga Drain while they're awake, or
Put the enemy to sleep, then Petal Dance while they're asleep, then Giga Drain while awake. Over 5 turns the advantage still lies with Petal Dance, and I really don't want to go single attack, so I'm thinking I'll be doing the following:
Sleep Powder
Aromatherapy
Petal Dance
Giga Drain

I know I'm limiting her offensive power by having Aromatherapy in there in place of Quiver Dance, but I'm willing to accept that, especially considering her overall purpose on my team. Do you think the loss of the stat buff will be crippling? I'm thinking of posting my whole team and moveset choices in here so people can help me analyze them more holistically, in fact, I think I'll do exactly that. Thanks for the helpful reply, though!

Years
  • Seen Apr 21, 2013
Is This A Good Team

Ima go for my 2nd run on the elite four in PokemonSapphire and is this an okay team,by the way im not naming stats though:

Swampert LvL:60

Kyogere: LvL:50

Hariyama,Golbat, and Loudred: LvL 40

Gyarados: LvL: 31

(I Know Gyarados is underleveled,he has an EXP.Share!

Years
There's some good combination's here. You should think about evolving your Golbat, because I've always found Crobat to be one of the all-time greatest flying type Pokemon.

The first battle against Sidney should be a breeze if you level up your Hariyama to lv. 50 or so.

Without a Dark or Ghost type you might have to wing it for the battle with Phoebe. Although your Gyrados can learn Crunch which will help (only if you level it up!!!)

Same goes for Glacia, no type advantage.

If your Kyogre or Swampert knows Ice Beam or Blizzard you shouldn't have much trouble with Drake.

And a Swampert/Kyorge combination is more than enough to shred the Champion.

Hope this helps :)

Treetwig

Banned for being awesome
Years
Nice team dude here I can give you some tips for battling the Elite 4:

1.Don't forget to pack up revives,Hyper potion,Full heal
2.Teach your swampert some devastating moves such as Earthquake,Blizzard,Brick break, Toxic
3.Gyarados can learn bite which you can use to crash out phoebe's ghost type pokemons

Note:Beware of phoebe's sableye!

Hope this helps :D

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Your team is unbalanced for having more Water types. I suggest replacing Kyogre, who shares a Grass weakness with Swampert, and Gyarados, who's really not a good battler in this gen due to be pre-physical/special split, meaning it can't use its Water STABs. Since Hariyama can take care of Sydney, Glacia, and Steven, you'll need a Dragon type and a special-based Dark type to face Drake and Phoebe respectively.

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the great and informative reply :D

It really gave me some food for thought.
After looking them up I think I will be aiming for this setup:

Charmander/-meleon/-izard (fire/flying)
Nidoking (poison/ground)
Lapras (water/ice)
Kadabra (psychic) (can't trade sadly...still keep after 30's?)
Zapdos (electric/flying)
Snorlax (normal)

And I'll keep the option of going for Vaporeon/Jolteon and the other forms as an alternative I think.

And consider something other than Kadabra since he is kinda stuck in that form for me.
Him and Diglett have been ravaging opponents lately though so they do a good job atm at least.

I'm not overly attached to any of them yet, but do keep Char and Nido with me at all times since they are the ones I've had the longest.

Thanks again for the help :)

@JNathan in regards to me using that team on the elite 4:

Well, I haven't given things thought that far ahead yet, but I do expect having to swap out at least a couple of those, but what do I know?
If I really like the team I might try and fail once before searching for something new :)

Years
  • Seen Nov 9, 2017
Hi i am doing a diamond run soon and here is my team idea
Torterra
Gastrodon
Staraptor
Rapidash
Garchomp
Machamp
Please give some feedback!!

Years
  • Seen Nov 9, 2017
Torterra
Earthquake
?
?
?
Staraptor
Fly
Brave Bird
?
?
Gastrodon
Ice Beam
Surf
Muddy Water
?
Rapidash
Flare Blitz
Stomp
?
?
Garchomp
Dragon Claw
Fire Blast
Earth Quake
?
Machamp
Dynamic Punch
?
?
?
I have trouble with movesets sorry

Last edited:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I just want to throw in here that Rapidash cannot learn Flame Charge on Diamond version- the move itself was created for Gen V. [: The only physical fire-type attack it can learn on Diamond version is Flare Blitz.

Years
Soul Silver Team
Togekiss is my biggest problem... it knows extrasensory, roost, metronome, and yawn. Any suggestions I have three badges.
Also have
Steelix
Jolteon
Flareon
Croconaw
and Larvitar
Tips/ Suggestions?

Back