• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite WATER starter?

Favorite water starter?

• Total voters

Sirfetch’d

Squirtle for me! May not be the strongest, but it was my very first Pokemon and will always hold a special place in my heart.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Mudkip, though Piplup is a close second.

Squirtle's kind of cute and all, but Blastoise just really isn't that great a pokemon. It's okay (it's a starter after all), but it's sorely outclassed by Lapras, Starmie and Vaporeon as far as Waters go.

Totodile's sort of cool looking but at least back in the second gen, it was let down by its mostly physical stat spread, since all Water attacks (as well as Ice and Dark - its other notable good moves) were special. It's much better though since the physical/special split, since it can finally have a physical STAB.

Mudkip's my favorite, in part because I just like its evo line, and in part because Swampert is still one of the best final stage evolutions yet. Great moves, great stats, just a nice all-around pokemon.

Piplup is a close second for the same basic reasons - Empoleon's actually an even better typing than Swampert, but its stats are a bit too balanced and it could do with a couple more good moves. Still a great starter though.

Oshawott is arguably the most useful starter in Unova, but that's faint praise, since Unova easily has the poorest set of starters yet. It's got a couple of nice moves and its stats aren't bad, and in B/W it's at least useful because there are so few other waters to choose from, but that's about it.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Either the Totodile or Squirtle line...leaning toward Totodile, though.

Although Swampert has the highest stat total of all starters, if I remember correctly.

Years
I voted for Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip and Piplup. For each generation I've played up until the fifth generation, I have always chosen the water starter because I used to just love water Pokémon and thought they were cute.

Years
IN order of favorite to least favorite:

Oshawott - Best evolution, cute, razor shell, otter samurai. The perfect water pokemon. Though, as mentioned, dewott, is a disappointment. 9/10

Froakie - This is still pending on the evo's, but I really like the idea of a frog starter. 8/10

Tododile - Okay, I do like Tododile and croconaw, alot, but I am not fond of Feraligtr, I think it's the odd posture, but I don't dislike the design. 7/10

Squirtle - I am not too fond of squirtle, and blastoise reminds me of a water bowzer, it doesn't really speak to my taste though I don't totally dislike the line. I actually really like Wartortle, oddly enough since I don't usually care about the intermediary lines. 6.5/10

Piplup - Piplup is mediocre as well as its evolutions. It all just bores me. I am a bit confused as to why it is leading in the poll. 5/10

Mudkip - I actually think mudkip is cute, and wanted to pick him, at first. Swampert is one of the absolute ugliest pokemon ever created, and by far the ugliest fully-evolved starter pokemon. 2.5/10

Last edited:

megapokemon3

Lover of every Pokemon
Years
I like all the water starter pokemon my favorites would have to go
Mudkip>Squirtle>Piplup>Totodile>Oshawatt>Froakie
Froakie may move further up my list but so far we don't know much about him so I can rate him up very high, I still love froakie though
Mudkip is my favorite though, he evolves into swampert and I beat the game every single time with him :) :D

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
technically none of them until Oshawott becomes Samurott. Samurott is the ONLY reason why I chose Oshawott in all the 5th gen games. I guess it could technically make Oshawott my answer even though I don't care for it that much. I'll say Oshawott because it eventually evolves into my favorite water type Pokémon

nitemate

Don't play Pokemon anymore ...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 17, 2014
I choose mudkip as swampert is really strong having good movepool and stats

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
✧・゚:*✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Pretty much sums up how I feel about Oshawatt, Dewott AND Samurott.

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2013
I definitely like Totodile the best. I'm not sure why, he's just super cute, plus he was my first pokemon ever.

Pokemount

Hello
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 27, 2013
I don't dislike any of them, but my vote went to Totodile. Second choice would go to Squirtle.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Piplup is my favorite Water type starter mainly because of Empoleon. First: I like Penguins. Second: I like Steel types. Third: You can surf on one in Shadows of Almia. The Napoleon reference is cool to.

Totodile is my second favorite. I remember seeing one in a contest in Emerald that was nicknamed Totdil, and I thought that was the coolest nickname lol. I also love it in the anime. It cracks me up and I love the Donald Duck voice XD

Arron13

Calm, Relaxed, but Competative
Years
This is a tough one because the water types are almost always my favorite of all the starters, and I was caught between squirte and totodile, but I picked totodile. I loved totodile in the anime and was always a beast in the games. Even though I think Blastoise > Feraligatr.

Ayselipera

Well not trying to be boring here, but I definitely have to say Squirtle. I generally like all the water starters besides the Mudkip line, but Squirtle is the only one where I think I can say I like each individual Pokemon in the line. With Wartortle being my favorite out of any water starter stage.

Back