• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Where exactly is this region located?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So the older thread died but I wanted to bring it up again as I think it has potential for discussion, and a little... deeper, than before.

So far, there's two camps. There's the England Camp, and there's the France Camp (and maybe a few others??) What I want you guys to do is to discuss why you think it's France or England, and the reasons can be compiled and discussed in the first post (much like what was done in fifth gen back in the days!!) Also, if it is based on certain parts of the actual location, where exactly? Just a corner, like south-west France, or all of it? Or parts of another real life location? Why? Discuss!

France:

England:

Somewhere else:

Guy

just a guy
Years
Currently, all signs point to France. Besides Pikachu shocking the world from on top the Eiffel Tower in the trailer, there are certain areas from that trailer that seemed reminiscent of places located in France. Just to point out a few observations that have been spiraling the internet since...

1. You've got the building that looks like the Eiffel Tower.
2. You've got the large structure located out in the desert what looks like France's Observatory.
3. The mansion with the lake front and statue looks a lot like the Palace of Versailles.

So as it stands, I'm currently on Team France. I would like to see more cultures and inspired areas from other parts of Europe though, not just France.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Definitely France. On top of what Shivi has pointed out, the screenshot with the Eiffel Tower also has the apartments/housing that looks a lot like stereotypical France, as well as the French Quarter over in Louisiana. Definitely has all signs pointing over to it.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Definitely France. On top of what Shivi has pointed out, the screenshot with the Eiffel Tower also has the apartments/housing that looks a lot like stereotypical France, as well as the French Quarter over in Louisiana. Definitely has all signs pointing over to it.

Louisiana's French Quarter is a different type of French. Shouldn't be confused with France French in any way XD.

As for the games. The tower only "looks" like the Eiffel Tower. But it isn't the actual tower. When I first saw it I saw a Japanese Radio Tower. There are a lot of hints on where the base can be from, but until we're actually told or given a verbal hint, it can be from anywhere. As for apartments, homes, Gen 5 had a bunch of those tall apartment like buildings. And the Mansion, well it really can be any kind of mansion. I don't think they actually tried to base it off of anything.

For me there are too many similar buildings in the world to be able to make a solid conclusion, and as it is I already don't follow Fan accepted speculations until proof from Gamefreak has been given.

Look at Orre. It fits the general design of an area of Japan with the first four Pokemon Generation regions and each of the Ranger regions. But we know that Orre was based off of Arizona so it's not situated in a Japanese region. Yet the fan speculation map puts it as based off an area in Japan.

Years
There could be some Spanish influence in the game if they have Mediterranean coastal region, but I think there might be more influence from central Europe. Looking at the trailer the more rural areas look more like the interior of central Europe and the European plain with the rivers and fields it makes me think there might be some influence from Belgium, Germany, Austria, and maybe even Northern Italy.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I do hope there is some English influence in there. The old structures and architecture in London is beautiful and seeing that in a Pokemon game would be awesome.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I think its highly possible the region draws from many different places but seems to be European based at this point. Its been hinted to contain inspiration from Paris, France at least, but that Eiffel Tower looking structure was located in one city, we know nothing about other towns or places around the region as we were shown very little.

The Routes seem to have reset again, as Rt 3 was shown in the trailer, this implies it may be far away from Unova at least.

Years
I think its highly possible the region draws from many different places but seems to be European based at this point. Its been hinted to contain inspiration from Paris, France at least, but that Eiffel Tower looking structure was located in one city, we know nothing about other towns or places around the region as we were shown very little.

The Routes seem to have reset again, as Rt 3 was shown in the trailer, this implies it may be far away from Unova at least.

You make an good point that we haven't really seen much footage of the other regions. Hopefully as we get closer to the release date in October they will release trailers that show a bit more of the landscapes of the game.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hmmm, does anyone think it could likely be based upon Japan, but with French influences? Or maybe even something like Canada, and the tower to signify French influences?

Years
Now that you mention it could be based upon a region of Japan as the tower seen in the trailer reminds me of structure I've seen in some pictures of Japan I think its somewhere in Tokyo.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Here's the Tokyo Tower:
Tokyo-Tower.jpg

Day: http://images.wikia.com/creepypasta/images/d/d7/Tokyo-Tower-0.jpg
Eiffel's Tower:
photo-tour-eiffel-34.jpg

Day: http://www.futura-sciences.com/uploads/RTEmagicC_eiffel_intro.jpg.jpg

And here's the tower in the trailer.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JwYM2CVK6hs/UOwkD7c-DuI/AAAAAAAAAL0/yUqqQ2dNt3E/s1600/europe+pokemon.jpg
In game footage: http://media.tumblr.com/f2208d159e9d7436e0989f43f4407eed/tumblr_inline_mgbw4n4PNz1r5ob8p.png

Years
Hmm... again looking at the photos you supplied and comparing them to the images from the trailer and in game play its still hard to tell if its based off Tokyo or Paris. Because I think the tower in Tokyo was based off the Eiffel tower so again its hard to say which location inspired the new region in the game.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hey wow, it's wider at the bottom. That's much closer to Tokyo's than France's (in-game at least)... and if it was based on Japan it would fool... many. Like if it wasn't mentioned by GF, but rather the characters in-game "oh this region was based on..."

Guy

just a guy
Years
The reset of the routes implies that this is another region set far away, both distant from the regions of Gen I - IV and Unova. As we know Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are all based off of different parts of Japan. I could be wrong, but if this region were to go back to Japan, then the reset of the route numbers wouldn't make much sense.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
The reset of the routes implies that this is another region set far away, both distant from the regions of Gen I - IV and Unova. As we know Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are all based off of different parts of Japan. I could be wrong, but if this region were to go back to Japan, then the reset of the route numbers wouldn't make much sense.

Hmm, unless it was reset due to represent the jump of the next generation, kind of like, Pokemon generation. First generation being 1-4, and this being... another one? So logically it could be Japan, too!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Huh?
I don't think it's based on Japan. As already stated the route numbers wouldn't have been reset if one thinks in term of roads in countries. Also they changed Liberty island (Ellis island) a lot more than this tower... so a minor change like this means nothing.

Back