• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What attacks should Unova Pokemon learn, but didn't?

Years
My apologies if this doesnt being anywhere but my question is was there any Pokemon in THIS GEN that you should should have been able to learn certain moves but they can't?

For example: the thread title.And I can list other moves I thnk Gothitelle should have but I dont want to make it all about her.

For the Tepig line, they should have close combat as well but that's me.

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
Years
yeah, tepig needs close combat, I agree. I do not think Marowak should learn Headbutt at lvl 11, as it already has that move as it's starting moves. Marowak should also have learned Earthquake, sandstorm, and take down. Just my opinion though.

Years
True Tepig's line needed close combat...but I don't think Gothitelle needed it...
I think she needed because she has Brick Break and low sweep. Also it would make her a good fighter and not so hated. If you mixed:

Close Combat
Karate Chop
Cross Chop
Reversal
Focus Punch
High jump kick

with Swords Dance (a status move Gothitelle should have), you come up with one awesome fighter.

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
Ferrowseed definitely needed to learn rapid spin i have NO IDEA why he doesnt he spins constantly for goodness sake. one thing i did like is all the starters had a semi-signature move when i say semi i mean there the only ones in there gen that can learn it. That was really kool especially with heat smash.

BTW anyone notice on Serebi.com and on the 3D dex its says that Scraggy learns Faint attack at lvl 9 but its also labled as an egg move? whats up with dat?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
OK, tell me one thing: how is it that Kyurem is unable to learn Frost Breath? Almost every other Ice-type Pokemon is able to learn it. Even Regice can learn it, and has no mouth to expel breath out of. Kyurem's Pokedex entry from White says "It can produce ultracold air." Anyone else think this makes no sense whatsoever?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
OK, tell me one thing: how is it that Kyurem is unable to learn Frost Breath? Almost every other Ice-type Pokemon is able to learn it. Even Regice can learn it, and has no mouth to expel breath out of. Kyurem's Pokedex entry from White says "It can produce ultracold air." Anyone else think this makes no sense whatsoever?
Agreed...it's like the creators weren't paying attention when they were making Kyu's moveset...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

I think the Pokedex refers to the fact that a start move for it is Icy Wind. But in the same vein, Emboar's entry: "It can throw a fire punch by setting its fists on fire with its fiery chin." Emboar does not learn Fire Punch. Wat.jpg

Autobot Silverwynde

Automaton Protector
Years
I really think that Golurk should have gotten Close Combat. It's a robot--they get in the opponent's faceplate when they try and beat the scrap out of each other. Close Combat would make sense in that case.

As you can see, I watch way too much "Giant Robot" stuff.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Ferrowseed definitely needed to learn rapid spin i have NO IDEA why he doesnt he spins constantly for goodness sake. one thing i did like is all the starters had a semi-signature move when i say semi i mean there the only ones in there gen that can learn it. That was really kool especially with heat smash.

BTW anyone notice on Serebi.com and on the 3D dex its says that Scraggy learns Faint attack at lvl 9 but its also labled as an egg move? whats up with dat?

It's true. L1 Scraggy can learn Faint Attack from the father (as well as if both parents have it, through the other breeding rule since it learns it at L9).

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Close combat would help the Tepig evolutions, but Gothitelle......? It's just not necessary. If it were Psychic/Fighting, then sure, but as a pure Psychic type, it just doesn't seem necessary. And HAMMER ARM?!?!?!? Gothitelle barely has arms at all! Hammer Arm is for muscular Pokemon, not Psychic types with skinny, weak arms! Gothitelle with physical Psychic moves is like giving a Magikarp access to Judgement. It's just not right. Anyways, Gothitelle's physical attack is so weak that Close Combat would harm it more than help it.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Yeah close combat is awesome. That's why I said it for Gothitelle. Speaking of Goth, hammer arm.
I don't think Gothitelle really needs Fighting moves other than Focus Blast because it doesn't really look like a warrior, IMO.

Other than that, I think that Serperior, Samurott, Reshiram and Zekrom should have gotten Earthquake as a TM move. I can see why Reshiram and Zekrom can't learn it, possibly in order to keep both in balance by not hitting each other supereffectively other than Dragon moves. I don't see why Serperior and Samurott can't learn it.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2012
Tepig doesn't need Close Combat, it already gets head smash and hammer arm. Gothitelle? You can be a fan of the poke all you want, but that's just totally unnecessary. It's not part fighting, it's not even an agressive looking Pokemon with high attack like Zangoose, an example of a non fighting pokemon that learns CC. Also Tepig is slow, and CC is a move for very swift pokemon like infernape and gallade.

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
Close combat would help the Tepig evolutions, but Gothitelle......? It's just not necessary. If it were Psychic/Fighting, then sure, but as a pure Psychic type, it just doesn't seem necessary. And HAMMER ARM?!?!?!? Gothitelle barely has arms at all! Hammer Arm is for muscular Pokemon, not Psychic types with skinny, weak arms!

Agreed I think Gothitelle actually has one of the more thought out sets, Unlike Emboar It has the word Fire punch in its Dex description yet it does not learn fire punch, and Ferrowseed cant learn rapid spin i just don't think nintendo had their head in the game when designing move sets. More retardedness the most powerful fighting move emboar learns naturaly is arm thrust and it learns Roar at lvl 55! pokemon learn that at like lvl 2 for goodness sake

Years
  • Seen May 6, 2023
Why is everyone so against Goth having close combat? Don't you agree that it needs better moves? Or do you want it to be hated forever?

CC is for the physicall attacker... like inferape or gallade... for Goth... it needs to learn focuse blast to take care of dark weakness like Alkazem... seriously look at its state and tell me how on earth goth is pysicall attacker...

Years
  • Seen May 6, 2023
I really wish every speciall attacking pysics to be able to learn Focuse blast.

Years
lol, a Lilligant is alright I guess, but it's the ultimate Grass-type sweeper.

Own Tempo Lilligant + Miracle Seed/Meadow Plate + Quiver Dance/Teeter Dance/STAB Petal Dance/Synthesis = boombah<3

Also, I agree Gothitelle is better as a special wall, rather than anything else. Giving it more Fighting attacks ruins her purpose, it would rather be better with Charm to take care of those physical Dark-types, and Shadow Ball to get rid of Ghost-types.

Back