• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

Years
Whew, at 100 eggs for Yamask... I'm slower now, since I have a new schedule... I still have piano lessons and fanfiction to work on...

Either way, would Yamask count? I mean, their shiny IS a bit silver, right?

G-Money

Polychromatic Iridescence
Years
2300 Spiritomb. Yes, 8 more does warrant another post. :cer_tongue:

Congrats?
Thanks!

Good luck!
Thanks!

That seems smart to me. Just maybe a bit unnecessary considering I'm 100 percent sure that if the club gets closed, somebody will remake it in the same thread, so literally nothing would be lost anyways. But overall it seems like a good idea, just why not make it most active co-owner instead? Just wondering if that would make more sense.
I think that the owner should be someone who would stay around for a while, so the mods don't get mad from constantly switching the first post, "lol." I wouldn't have a problem with having it be the most active co-owner, but I think it would be better for it to be the co-owner who has been active for the longest time, to ensure that someone doesn't become a co-owner, make 50 posts in a month, and then leave. With having it be someone who's been posting consistently for a long time, this guards against the owner becoming inactive (or at least reduces the probability).

You know the plural of shiny is shinies, right? XD
"lol" I made the template before that was officially determined, haha. I had that as my banner about a year ago, unanimated and with about 10 less shinies, haha. I should probably spice it up somehow...

I also forgot to include the frame with my shiny Torchic, "lol." But I'm not going to waste the energy to fix the banner now; it'll be a waste since I'll have to be adding Spiritomb soon anyways (I hope!)! :laugh:

would Yamask count?

Yes!

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 11, 2024
Wow, too much text, G-Money created a lot of monsters. :)

Ok, so everyone is doing fine with their hunts?

To Dratizard: Sorry about what happened with your emerald rom Dratizard, but still congrats on tentacool, even if you were not able to keep it, maybe you will find it again.

To Latios Master: can't believe you haven't got your litwick after all this time, definitely you deserve at least one after all the eggs you hatched and all the time you have spend playing and hatching. Hope you get at least a shiny while completing the pokedex.

In my case I have nothing to show for now, when I get it I'll let you all know.

Happy hunting everyone.

PekoponTAS

Game Boy Advance Fan
Years
I had some questions about soft reseting for starters. I've heard little bits and pieces on how it works, but I'm not 100% sure. I've noticed that after a while, I seem to keep getting identical Squirtles to ones I've already gotten. After reseting my save file and trying again, I start getting different Squirtles. I've heard it has something to do with the RNG of the third gen games, but I'm not sure if reseting the save file every once in a while is something I should do. One popular shiny hunter on youtube says that about 35 soft resets is about as high as you should go before starting a new file. Is there any truth to this? Would it overall lower my chances to stay on the same save file? I've also heard the term "shiny frame" thrown around. Is there something about being on the exact right frame for it to be a shiny? I just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly. I'd love to get my green shelled Squirtle sooner than later. It only takes about a minute to get back to Oak's lab after starting a new game, so it's not like starting a new file takes long. I've also heard the term "early shiny frame" when it comes to starters. Would it be better to choose a default name rather than take the time to spell out a name of my own?

Any info would be appreciated. Maybe if there isn't one already, a "frequently asked questions about shinies" section on the first post may be a good idea. :)

Oh, and I've done 126 soft resets for Squirtle so far. Not very much, but a decent start.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
Looks like I need to post more in here,

Well since my last post I have hatched 4389 Torchic eggs and SR over 10,000 spiritombs. Really hoping to get Spiritomb soon as I have been after it for a long time.

Years
:surprised::shocked: ... so many...words
lol i feel kind of left out now :P also everyone else hunts really fast :)
Anyway here is my update:
Ponyta Poute 206:669 REs
Its gotta happen anysay now...

G-Money

Polychromatic Iridescence
Years
PAGE 777!!

2315 Spiritomb.

I had some questions about soft reseting for starters. I've heard little bits and pieces on how it works, but I'm not 100% sure. I've noticed that after a while, I seem to keep getting identical Squirtles to ones I've already gotten. After reseting my save file and trying again, I start getting different Squirtles. I've heard it has something to do with the RNG of the third gen games, but I'm not sure if reseting the save file every once in a while is something I should do. One popular shiny hunter on youtube says that about 35 soft resets is about as high as you should go before starting a new file. Is there any truth to this? Would it overall lower my chances to stay on the same save file? I've also heard the term "shiny frame" thrown around. Is there something about being on the exact right frame for it to be a shiny? I just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly. I'd love to get my green shelled Squirtle sooner than later. It only takes about a minute to get back to Oak's lab after starting a new game, so it's not like starting a new file takes long. I've also heard the term "early shiny frame" when it comes to starters. Would it be better to choose a default name rather than take the time to spell out a name of my own?

Any info would be appreciated. Maybe if there isn't one already, a "frequently asked questions about shinies" section on the first post may be a good idea. :)

Voila! Thank you for backing up what I had thought, haha.

In fact, there's been some debate as to what's going on with this, with one side saying that the FR/LG RNG is flawed and the other claiming that it's perfectly fine. Normally I'd preface any advice I give on this topic with the qualification "this is what I believe, but a lot of people strongly disagree and I can't promise that I'm right about this," but if you really are getting identical Squirtles, that's really powerful evidence to back up what I'm saying. So what I'm about to tell you I can say with a higher degree of confidence than before, "lol."

Basically, the FR/LG RNG works fine and there are multiple factors that go into determining the features of a Pokemon, but unlike R/S/D/P/Pt/HG/SS/B/W, real time is not one of the factors. Therefore, saving in front of a Pokemon (like Squirtle) and SRing isn't going to change its shinyness, since the information that the RNG is drawing from is the exact same, since nothing relevant has changed since you last saved. That being said, there is a degree of variation, and you can get in a variety of different values in each SR "batch." The number that I've seen is 25, although 35 isn't too far off and both are probably estimations. After 25 SRs, you should shuffle up the RNG by resaving. I like to take a few steps and spin my character for a couple of seconds just in case, but I'm not 100% sure if it's necessary to take steps or if the RNG will be reset from just resaving. I take a couple of steps to be on the safe side, but you might be able to get away with just saving again.

It's possible to get a shiny in FR/LG from simply SRing over and over (I got my shiny Bulbasaur without resaving at all), but you'll probably continue to see identical Pokemon with the same stats, etc. You'll eventually get your shiny, but you'll waste a lot of time with reused duplicates from the RNG pool.

The thing about "shiny frames" is a problem from Emerald, whose RNG is by far the worst of any Pokemon game. The RNG in Emerald is set from the beginning of when you start your game, so you'd have to pick a whole new character, ID number, etc. each time you reset because the sole factor in the RNG calculation is amount of time since you turned on your game. You'll see a certain set of characteristics (shinyness, nature, etc.) for every Pokemon you see 1 second after turning on the game, another for every Pokemon you see 2 seconds after you turn on the game, etc. This means that it's possible to hunt in Emerald in the wild as long as you leave your game plugged in and just run around in the grass endlessly. In my Emerald, I have a shiny frame around 5 hours in and another about 9 hours in. For SRing things like the starters, you would have to SR, wait a second, encounter the Pokemon, SR, wait 2 seconds, etc., and once it gets to the point where you have to wait a minute between SRs, it's not really worth it. If you're lucky (/unlucky) enough to have a shiny frame, say, 55 seconds in, that means that every single Pokemon you encounter 55 seconds after turning the game on will be shiny. So technically, you could get every SRable Pokemon shiny if you can time your shiny frame, although you might have to wait several hours to do it, "lol." It's a really cheap method and the Club only counts one shiny per frame to prevent you from abusing the method to get all the Emerald shinies, "lol."

FR/LG, on the other hand, have a perfectly fine RNG compared to Emerald's. You don't have to restart your whole save file each time; simply taking a step and saving will mix it up just fine. :) For all other games, you don't have to resave or anything, since everything except for E/FR/LG use real time as a factor, meaning every SR you do will naturally mix up the batch.

(I'm not entirely sure about the following part since I've never tried it, but this is how I understand the name rumors: ) The name thing only matters in Emerald, as there's a way to calculate your shiny frame by using a cheating method that factors the letters in your name, your ID number, and your hidden ID, which isn't available in the game and can only be found by using an external device. For all intents and purposes, the name thing has no merit and doesn't affect your shiny hunting. There's something like certain names change your chances from 1/8192 to either 1/8191 or 1/8193, but the difference is so small that it's negligible in the grand scheme of shiny hunting. :)

TL;DR: Resave after every 25 SRs on FR/LG and never play Emerald. Everything else is fine. :cer_smile:

And the idea about a shiny FAQ in the first post is a really good idea! That sounds like it would be pretty helpful, so maybe I'll make it when I have some more free time (or if someone else wants to, you're more than welcome).

Well since my last post I have hatched 4389 Torchic eggs and SR over 10,000 spiritombs. Really hoping to get Spiritomb soon as I have been after it for a long time.

Wow, those are really long hunts! I'm hunting for Spiritomb too, but I'm about 7700 behind, "lol." Would you like to race?

everyone else hunts really fast :)

*looks at the 15 Spiritomb since his last post*

Last edited:

PekoponTAS

Game Boy Advance Fan
Years
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to type all that up. It was really helpful. I've never been a fan of Emerald anyways, so I guess that's another reason not to like it. XD

Well, with a newfound strategy in hand, it's back to Squirtle hunting.

Oh, and I actually had one other question. If Ruby and Sapphire use real time to determine shininess, what happens when the cartridge's internal clock stops? That happens on the GBA cartridges a LOT, so I wonder if that changes how it works?

Years
Woo! Yeah! Yamask turned out to be a quick hunt! 230 EGGS! This afternoon, I managed to hatch a shiny Yamask while I was checking up some fanfics... When I stared at my screen... I couldn't have been more surprised... Luckily, Everstone worked THIS TIME! Meaning it was Sassy natured... Unfortunately, it's IVs are less then impressive... 15, 0, 13, 8, 7, and 26... Yeah... Speed got 26... Ah well, a shiny is a shiny... (I'd actually like to post the pic, but I have no idea how to considering my images are too large... And I don't think I'm allowed to post links, as far as I can recall... Hopefully, I'll work something out.) (Busy celebrating on shiny Yamask.)

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 11, 2024
Woo! Yeah! Yamask turned out to be a quick hunt! 230 EGGS! This afternoon, I managed to hatch a shiny Yamask while I was checking up some fanfics... When I stared at my screen... I couldn't have been more surprised... Luckily, Everstone worked THIS TIME! Meaning it was Sassy natured... Unfortunately, it's IVs are less then impressive... 15, 0, 13, 8, 7, and 26... Yeah... Speed got 26... Ah well, a shiny is a shiny... (I'd actually like to post the pic, but I have no idea how to considering my images are too large... And I don't think I'm allowed to post links, as far as I can recall... Hopefully, I'll work something out.) (Busy celebrating on shiny Yamask.)

Congrats on your yamask miloticfan54, a shiny is a shiny as you said, take good care of it. :)

To G-Money: Thats a complete guide you wrote there, it can go to the future shiny FAQ. ;).

Well, page 777, the page's number tells everything.

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Congrats! I VM'd you about the pics.
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to type all that up. It was really helpful. I've never been a fan of Emerald anyways, so I guess that's another reason not to like it. XD

Oh, and I actually had one other question. If Ruby and Sapphire use real time to determine shininess, what happens when the cartridge's internal clock stops? That happens on the GBA cartridges a LOT, so I wonder if that changes how it works?
Yes. If the clock has stopped, it is no longer possible to obtain shinies by soft resetting. With the clock stopped, SRing in Ruby/Sapphire works exactly like SRing in Emerald.
PAGE 777!!
:cer_giggle:

I did the shiny FAQ. Here it is, feel free to put it in (one of) the first post(s).

Spoiler:

Enjoy, if you want to edit it, just ask for my permission first please.

Also, I made myself a shiny animated signature, I know it's bad but still:
ShinySig.gif

Hunts:
460 Giratina

Good luck everyone!

Years

Oh, and I've done 126 soft resets for Squirtle so far. Not very much, but a decent start.

PAGE 777!!

2315 Spiritomb.

Voila! Thank you for backing up what I had thought, haha.

In fact, there's been some debate as to what's going on with this, with one side saying that the FR/LG RNG is flawed and the other claiming that it's perfectly fine. Normally I'd preface any advice I give on this topic with the qualification "this is what I believe, but a lot of people strongly disagree and I can't promise that I'm right about this," but if you really are getting identical Squirtles, that's really powerful evidence to back up what I'm saying. So what I'm about to tell you I can say with a higher degree of confidence than before, "lol."

Basically, the FR/LG RNG works fine and there are multiple factors that go into determining the features of a Pokemon, but unlike R/S/D/P/Pt/HG/SS/B/W, real time is not one of the factors. Therefore, saving in front of a Pokemon (like Squirtle) and SRing isn't going to change its shinyness, since the information that the RNG is drawing from is the exact same, since nothing relevant has changed since you last saved. That being said, there is a degree of variation, and you can get in a variety of different values in each SR "batch." The number that I've seen is 25, although 35 isn't too far off and both are probably estimations. After 25 SRs, you should shuffle up the RNG by resaving. I like to take a few steps and spin my character for a couple of seconds just in case, but I'm not 100% sure if it's necessary to take steps or if the RNG will be reset from just resaving. I take a couple of steps to be on the safe side, but you might be able to get away with just saving again.

It's possible to get a shiny in FR/LG from simply SRing over and over (I got my shiny Bulbasaur without resaving at all), but you'll probably continue to see identical Pokemon with the same stats, etc. You'll eventually get your shiny, but you'll waste a lot of time with reused duplicates from the RNG pool.

The thing about "shiny frames" is a problem from Emerald, whose RNG is by far the worst of any Pokemon game. The RNG in Emerald is set from the beginning of when you start your game, so you'd have to pick a whole new character, ID number, etc. each time you reset because the sole factor in the RNG calculation is amount of time since you turned on your game. You'll see a certain set of characteristics (shinyness, nature, etc.) for every Pokemon you see 1 second after turning on the game, another for every Pokemon you see 2 seconds after you turn on the game, etc. This means that it's possible to hunt in Emerald in the wild as long as you leave your game plugged in and just run around in the grass endlessly. In my Emerald, I have a shiny frame around 5 hours in and another about 9 hours in. For SRing things like the starters, you would have to SR, wait a second, encounter the Pokemon, SR, wait 2 seconds, etc., and once it gets to the point where you have to wait a minute between SRs, it's not really worth it. If you're lucky (/unlucky) enough to have a shiny frame, say, 55 seconds in, that means that every single Pokemon you encounter 55 seconds after turning the game on will be shiny. So technically, you could get every SRable Pokemon shiny if you can time your shiny frame, although you might have to wait several hours to do it, "lol." It's a really cheap method and the Club only counts one shiny per frame to prevent you from abusing the method to get all the Emerald shinies, "lol."

FR/LG, on the other hand, have a perfectly fine RNG compared to Emerald's. You don't have to restart your whole save file each time; simply taking a step and saving will mix it up just fine. :) For all other games, you don't have to resave or anything, since everything except for E/FR/LG use real time as a factor, meaning every SR you do will naturally mix up the batch.

(I'm not entirely sure about the following part since I've never tried it, but this is how I understand the name rumors: ) The name thing only matters in Emerald, as there's a way to calculate your shiny frame by using a cheating method that factors the letters in your name, your ID number, and your hidden ID, which isn't available in the game and can only be found by using an external device. For all intents and purposes, the name thing has no merit and doesn't affect your shiny hunting. There's something like certain names change your chances from 1/8192 to either 1/8191 or 1/8193, but the difference is so small that it's negligible in the grand scheme of shiny hunting. :)

TL;DR: Resave after every 25 SRs on FR/LG and never play Emerald. Everything else is fine. :cer_smile:

And the idea about a shiny FAQ in the first post is a really good idea! That sounds like it would be pretty helpful, so maybe I'll make it when I have some more free time (or if someone else wants to, you're more than welcome).

Wow, those are really long hunts! I'm hunting for Spiritomb too, but I'm about 7700 behind, "lol." Would you like to race?

*looks at the 15 Spiritomb since his last post*

I was about to type all that almost exactly the same...
English time sucks! ;_;

Again? Really? XD
Though, Ruby/Sapphire can be RE'd in perfectly fine with a dry battery. If you want some help replacing your battery I did mine last week so just shoot me a PM or something :)

Well, thanks to ShinySearcher01, I was able to put up this photo. Thanks a lot! ^^

And here:
Spoiler:
Is the shiny Yamask!
Congratulations! I'm happy it was fast - you deserved it!

I was trying to quote your last post, SS01, but I must have misclicked and I'm too lazy to go back and do it now, so I'll just type xD

I LOVE your signature! It's so cool :D
Also - maybe you just got lucky with the fact you chose blacks and greys, or you knew already - GIFs have only 256 colours available or so. I bet you knew that anyway, but it tends to mess up and revert colours outside of that into the closest, which ends up kinda odd.
Just a heads up :D

AND!
MATHS!

So, I'm sure you've all heard of Tom's pocket money.
Take the concept of doubling 1 = 2, double 2 = 4, etc.
LOOK AT THIS!

Double:

1 = 2
2 = 4
4 = 8
8 = 16
16 = 32
32 = 64
64 = 128
128 = 256
256 = 512
(It does get better soon)
512 = 1024
1024 = 2048
2048 = 4096
And now....
4096 = 8192.

Anyone recognise that number? 8192? 'Cause I do.
It's the simplified shiny rate!!!
Just an interesting fact I found XD

EDIT: I'm selecting Treecko in the bag of Pokeballs by default without realising now.
What a sad, sad day this is! XD

EDIT II: I hate having no time to hunt ;_; SCHOOL! I did get some hunting done last night - up to 22,930. Here's a deal, games: I'll complain when I hit 30k ;)
I'm SRing on four games, incase you didn't know, for four different targets; I'd love Ho-oh/Giratina first and then Ho-oh/Giratina second (the one I didn't get first, obviously XD). Then I'd love Treecko. Since I got 4 MM shinies, and I already have one SR shiny, I'm going for three more, then moving on to RE. I'd love Treecko first, so I'm gonna try really hard to get it (though it's fairly likely, since I can do two Treecko SRs to one Giratina/Ho-oh, and 3(!!!) to a Kyurem XD) so I can RE for my next team member in my Badge Quest.

EDIT III: April 19th 2012:
Giratina: 5990
Ho-oh: 9010
Treecko: 2750
Kyurem: 5660
Total: 23,410!

Last edited:

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I LOVE your signature! It's so cool :D
Also - maybe you just got lucky with the fact you chose blacks and greys, or you knew already - GIFs have only 256 colours available or so. I bet you knew that anyway, but it tends to mess up and revert colours outside of that into the closest, which ends up kinda odd.
Just a heads up :D
Thank you!

Hunts: 479 Giratina. Viridian Forest is paused until I get FRLG, when it will be moved to Power Plant to get Pikachu again. Good luck everyone!

EDIT: 500 Giratina. Unpaused Viridian Forest and am back to using Static, but its a secondary hunt and I won't be updating it much. Also, RUBY IS MINE! Hoping it gets here soon, I'll play through it first before doing any hunting on it, then go RE somewhere.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2013
<snip>

hmm...... you know, ive been resetting for Charmander for quite a while on my LeafGreen...............maybe i should do this

Now, Peko, as the foremost "expert" in shiny hunting, i have found myself shinies in Emerald. In fact, i found six in it before i restarted the game to play it again with a team that the Serebii forums had given me. I was at one time leveling up my Rhyhorn that they gave me into a Rhydon (because they didnt give me a water type....) around route 114 in Emerald. i was at bowling at the time as well, and while leveling, a Shiny Swablu showed up out of nowhere. Now, you can hunt if you like, just dont throw it out altogether.

for me, i have yet to find myself a shiny since Venipede (or Roggenrola, i forgot who came last). right now, i moved from the desert to Chargestone Cave on the bottom floor where Tynamo is 6-ish %.

PekoponTAS

Game Boy Advance Fan
Years
hmm...... you know, ive been resetting for Charmander for quite a while on my LeafGreen...............maybe i should do this

Now, Peko, as the foremost "expert" in shiny hunting, i have found myself shinies in Emerald. In fact, i found six in it before i restarted the game to play it again with a team that the Serebii forums had given me. I was at one time leveling up my Rhyhorn that they gave me into a Rhydon (because they didnt give me a water type....) around route 114 in Emerald. i was at bowling at the time as well, and while leveling, a Shiny Swablu showed up out of nowhere. Now, you can hunt if you like, just dont throw it out altogether.

It's not just the shiny thing though. I've always much preferred playing Ruby and Sapphire over Emerald. I can't even remember the last time I played Emerald instead of Ruby or Sapphire. Was never fond of a lot of the little changes they made.

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years
GOODBYE!!! THE SHC SHALL NEVER BE SAME :'(

I'm not leaving, lol. I'm just taking a break from MMing. You could say I'm hunting Route 12 while I'm leveling up Pokémon. The next one is Whismur. If I get a shiny, hopefully it won't be another Audino. I was leveling up Pokémon on this route when I caught my shiny Audino.

As for the shiny FAQ, I would like to submit the following amendments:

Q: Is there any way to make shiny Pokemon appear more easily?

A: Yes. Starting in Generation IV, the Masuda method, used by putting two Pokemon from a different language game into the day-care and breeding them, obviously included as an extra incentive to use the GTS, will increase the odds to 1/1639 in Generation IV, and 1/1366 in Generation V. Note that to do this the two Pokemon can NOT be from the same foreign language, nor can any one of them be from an in-game trade. In G/S/C if at least one of the parents is a shiny, the odds are 1/64. The Odd Egg you receive in Crystal has a 14% chance of being a shiny, 50% in the Japanese version.

Q: Will breeding two shiny Pokemon have a higher chance of hatching a shiny?

A: No. There is no way to increase the chances other than the Masuda
method, except for in G/S/C, detailed above.

Looks like I need to post more in here,

Wow, another MM hunt that reached 4,000. I'm assuming you're MMing? That makes my Litwick hunt look short.

Congrats on the shiny Yamask, miloticfan54!

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I'm not leaving, lol. I'm just taking a break from MMing.

As for the shiny FAQ, I would like to submit the following amendments:
*Sigh of relief* Good. I don't know what we'd do without you XD

Those changes to the FAQ are fine with me.

550 Giratina. Ruby hasn't gotten here yet, when it does I'll play through it first then probably head to Shoal Cave.

Good luck everyone!

EDIT: 600 Giratina.

Last edited:

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I am defo up for a race. Gives me more motivation. Haven't hunted fully since back around when Ruby first came out through to SS/HG after that I have been very lax.I just haven't liked the new shinys that have come out. Still I want to increase my shiny count and maybe beat my highest shiny chain. which was over 30 btw lol. Was for an old girlfriend who lost a shiny Geodude when it exploded so I chained one for her and ended up with 34 of them lol. Maybe I will someday get back on that level.

Back