• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
And is Explorers of Sky better then Gates to Infinity?
I can't compare them because I haven't played Gates to Infinity but... from what I heard, GtI falls behind in storyline which is pretty short there.
On the other hand, you have enhanced graphics and 6th generation Pokemon.
Then again, you have limited number of starter Pokemon.
So it depends on your preferences... If you have 3DS, you may give GtI a shot and if you aren't satisfied, play EoS.

Years
Google is not being helpful on this one. What is the difference between an orignal game and a copy of a game. For instance, there have been X/Y giveaways, however, some of them emphasize they are giving away a COPY of the game? Does that mean they just send it through WiFi? Or you still get a box and a cartridge and papers?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Oh, what they do is that they give you a code (I think it's a code) that will allow you to download a copy of the game onto your 3DS. So no, you don't actually get the physical copy of the game (the cart), you get the digital copy of the game (downloadable version).

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
The price of this code would be the same as a physical copy (well, not exactly, but almost!). The code could be used for only one download—once it's been used up, you cannot use it again. You should be able to sell your code, but if you've used it already, then I'm afraid no one is going to buy it. :(

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 15, 2013
Hello there! I'm having a troublesome time right now and would like some help.my new pokemon that i caught is a trapinch jolly nature and once i caught i said " let's do some super training right now!" Boom and im training it on 0evs. And i raised it ev to: atk 252,speed 252, and hp 4......yet it can still train for one more ev or so?! I'm confused since this is not my first timr ev training and finding my trapinch has an extra ev. When i try to add more ev on attack and speed it wont allow it as its a its maximum point of training. Thanks in advence! And if this helps it a shiny.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Welcome to the forum!

After every 4 EVs invested in on a stat it changes. Every Pokemon can have up to 508 EVs so the last 2 EVs are effectively unused. So right now your Trapinch is all set!

You're quite lucky to have a shiny one, let alone one with a great nature.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Oct 25, 2013
Guys, I need a little help to make a competitive party. I've been reading stuff about ev and am I right to say that I get an EV for every pokèmon I defeat (excluding RL players)?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm not exactly sure if all wild Pokémon make you gain effort values, but most do. :) Beware, though—not all Pokémon give you the same type of EVs. Some give you EVs that raise your Attack stat, some EVs boost your Speed, some give you an increase in Special Defense, etc. etc. If you're planning to raise a specific set of your effort values (your Defense EVs, for example), then make sure that you are battling against the right kind of Pokémon. When you're EV training, one thing that you should do is hold onto a Macho Brace. Macho Brace doubles the amount of EVs that you earn each time you defeat a Pokémon, making the process a whole lot easier. If you like, you may also use vitamin items, such as HP Up, Zinc, Protien, Calcium, etc. They raise your EVs instantly by ten points.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Oct 25, 2013
Yeah, I've already researched which pokèmons I should fight to get the EV I want. Problem is I do not know if I should fight these pokèmons only and no one else to get the specific EV I need. This being the case...

Next question I have is, let's say I have a level 100 pokèmon and assuming it can still gain EV, can it still get an EV from a level 10 pokèmon?

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
Question about Relearning Moves

Hey guys! New to the forum.

Got a question -

I held Bulbasaur from evolving until about level 35.
It's finally a Venusaur and i just realized Venusaur was supposed to have learned Petal Dance at level 32; but since it was still a bulbasaur at the time,

would i be able to go to the move relearner in order to get it to learn Petal Dance?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Foxing Buizel

*Turns head* *Bui!"
Years
(Emerald <3)
I heard that the more you run away from wild Pokèmon, the less likely you are you to encounter shinys. Is what I heard correct? Also is it considered breaching copyrights if I was to publicly post a save file on this forum?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
What is EV's and IV's and how do they relate to training?

I'd interested in getting my Pokémon better trained and also breeding, and I've heard stuff about EV's or IV's related to this. Can someone explain to me what they are what they do and how I can train my Pokémon to get better EV/IV?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
EVs stand for "effort values." They give boost to your Pokémon's stats, helping them become stronger. The only way to gain EVs is by battling against other Pokémon. If you level-up yourself with the help of Rare Candies or other some other method, then you won't be able to receive any effort value at all. d: There are six different kind of effort values, one for each stat—HP, Attack, Defense, Speed, Special Attack, and Special Defense. If you want to gain a specific set of EVs, then you'll be required to beat a certain type of Pokémon. For example, if you want to gain HP EVs, then you'd have to defeat a Pokémon high in health, such as either Chansey or Blissey. And if you want to get your hands on some Speed EVs, then you would have to take down a Pokémon that's quick, like Aerodactyl. :)

IVs are "individual values." Personally, I don't know much things about them, but the only things I do know is that they help determine your Pokémon's shininess, gender, base stats, and type of Hidden Power.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
(Emerald <3)
I heard that the more you run away from wild Pokèmon, the less likely you are you to encounter shinys. Is what I heard correct? Also is it considered breaching copyrights if I was to publicly post a save file on this forum?

I've never heard anything like this. I don't believe there's any way to reduce chances of encountering shinies. It's always 1/8,192 at least.

I'm not sure about the second question. I think it used to be okay if you did in the past (there was this thing called play, power, pass), though.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 28, 2013
Oldschool pokemon fan -- now which one should I play?

Hello people.

I just registered for the sole purpose of asking for your advice. Back in the day I played the very first pokemon games -- Yellow,Red,Blue,Etc. I LOVED Silver/Crystal/Gold. Those were my favorites. I loved the new Pokemon.

Then Ruby and the rest came out, and I stopped playing. Wayyyy too many new Pokemon to keep up with, some of the Pokemon designs were just outright lousy and ridiculous -- and I just grew out of it. Nostalgia recently kicked in, and I started playing Soul Silver. Had a blast. Still, game revolves around those first 250-300 first pokemon or so. I want to play one of the newer ones -- new story, new Pokemon, new everything. Gotta get rid of that oldschool attachment.

So this question goes to those with similar background/context. Which one would you guys recommend? I.E., which is the best (in general opinion) to get back into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back