• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokemon TCG Challenge!

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
200px-Pok%C3%A9mon_TCG_logo.png

challenge
the concept
In this challenge, you are to use an offical theme deck (official as in published by the Wizards of the Coast or by the Pokemon Company, not a deck you made yourself) and use the cards in the deck to build a Pokemon team to use in a game that you choose.​

the rules
1. All PC rules apply.
2. You must use Pokemon whose cards are in the deck that you choose.
3. Any Pokemon is allowed as long as it is in your deck.
3. Trading or hacking for Pokemon or eggs that can't be found in your game is allowed.
4. Emulators are allowed.
5. HM slaves are allowed.
6. This challenge is for any of the main series RPG games (RBY/GSC/RSE/FRLG/DPPt/HGSS/BW).
7. The challenge ends after defeating the E4 and champion, but going further in the game is encouraged!
8. Please update! We want to hear about your adventure.
9. Have fun!​

choosing a deck
To choose a deck, go here and choose any of the English or Special theme decks. There are many to choose from, so you should be able to find one that suits you.​

now what?
Now that you have a deck, click on it and you will find a list of cards that are included in that deck. Any of the Pokemon listed as a card can be used in your team. You can only use the Pokemon are listed, and if they are not fully evolved you must keep it that way. The only rule that you must follow is the play through the game using only Pokemon in the deck that you choose. Some optional rules are to nickname yourself and your party based on the trainer cards in your deck, to not use legendaries even if they are in your deck, using moves similar to the move(s) on the card for your Pokemon, or any other restriction that you can think of.​

sign-up
To sign up, please fill out and post the following form:
Username:
Game:
Deck: please link to your deck!​

competitors
Username | Game | Deck

deku | LeafGreen | Turmoil
dragonomega | Emerald | Wildfire
jdthebud | Platinum | Endless Night
KoboraX | Silver | Giovanni
Luigi-San | Silver | Abyss
Alternative | SoulSilver | Golden Sky
tachikaze316 | HeartGold | Drill Point
InfernoRogue | Ruby | Team Magma
Fireworks | Ruby | Ruby
Brewds567 | LeafGreen | Overgrowth
pokepokemo | Emerald | Steeplechase
SuperSaiyanII | White | Blaine

champions
none! be the first!

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Username: dragonomega
Game: Emerald
Deck: Wildfire

I'ma start this right away! >D

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
I have one question about this before I start. Is there any rule to how many Pokemon you have to use? Because most challenges have some sort of rule that you must use at least 4 Pokemon to prevent it from being a solo/duo/trio challenge.

Also, do we have to choose decks from Bulbapedia, or do we have the choice of choosing from PokéBeach's sources as well?

Last edited:

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Here's my signup.

Username: Jdthebud
Game: Platinum
Deck: Endless Night

So do we have to beat Red in GSC/HGSS or Alder in BW?

In GSC/HGSS you just have to beat the E4/Champion one time to be counted as a Champion, and in BW you just need to beat Ghestis, but going further is encouraged.

I have one question about this before I start. Is there any rule to how many Pokemon you have to use? Because most challenges have some sort of rule that you must use at least 4 Pokemon to prevent it from being a solo/duo/trio challenge.

Also, do we have to choose decks from Bulbapedia, or do we have the choice of choosing from PokéBeach's sources as well?

There isn't a rule for that because some decks may be limited, but I suggest using at least four.
It isn't limited to Bulbapedia, but it was the most complete source I could find. As long as what you choose is a theme deck it will be fine.

On to another point, I was thinking of adding more challenges to this thread that deal with Pokemon cards - a booster pack challenge where you buy a booster pack and use the Pokemon in it as a team (you must link to a picture of each individual card), or a random card challenge where you shuffle your cards and pick one to six and use them as a team (again with the linking). The only problem with these ideas is that there is no way to tell if someone is just choosing whatever Pokemon they want.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
Just one more thing, there should be just something to note, that some decks have more than one Pokemon choice, such as Exeggcute 3x, so I'm assuming you'd be allowed to use up to three Execcgute then?

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Just one more thing, there should be just something to note, that some decks have more than one Pokemon choice, such as Exeggcute 3x, so I'm assuming you'd be allowed to use up to three Execcgute then?

Yes, if you wanted to thats fine.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Um, yeah just a small update. :3

Spoiler:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
Well now that that's cleared up, I'm going to take a go at this challenge. :3

Username: Alternative
Game: SoulSilver
TCG Deck: Golden Sky

Just so you know, I won't be starting for a while, as I'll need to Poké Shift some Pokemon from there to Black, which could take a while. I'll try to get it done soon though, which should be good. :)

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Added both of you! I started my challenge but I'm not going to update until I make a little progress.

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
Sounds interesting, I probably won't update much until I've finished one or two of my other challenges, but...

Username: tachikaze316
Game: HeartGold
TCG Deck: James

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
Definitely will be doing this challenge a couple times, like I promised. x3

Username: InfernoRogue
Game: Ruby
TCG Deck: Team Magma

I plan on using Aggron, Claydol, Houndoom, and Groudon. I feel like my team would be incomplete without having Groudon in there. This is a Team Magma theme deck, after all.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
So, my team from Endless Night is gonna be Cacturne, Beedrill, Zangoose, and Houndoom. I thought about using Darkrai, but I don't like his moveset before L60, and I have enough Dark types to worry about. I will hack in Cacnea at the beginning, Weedle in Eterna Forest, Zangoose at Rt. 208 (where he is found with Ruby Dongle), and catch Houndour normally. Beedrill is almost a necessity if only for taking Fighting attacks, lol. And I am super excited to use Zangoose in Gen IV. He is one of my favorite Pokemon, but I haven't used him very much for challenges.

Anyway, I started my game, although I haven't gotten very far.

Update #1 on Platinum.

Name: Night
Rival: Barry
Starter: Turtwig
  • Hacked in Needle the Cacnea after getting to Jubilife City.
  • Needle beat Roark pretty easily, although Crainidos' Headbutt almost one-shot her.
  • Beat Mars in the Valley Windworks.
  • Caught Venom the Weedle in Eterna Forest.
  • Venom evolved into Kakuna and then Beedrill.
  • Venom beat Gardenia easily.
  • Now I'm stuck in the TG Eterna Building - Jupiter's Skuntank is unbeatable...

Screens:

endnightraork.png
endnightgardenia.png

Team Night:
Spr_4d_015.png

Venom the Hardy Beedrill, ♂ - L25
Ability: Swarm
Moves: Twineedle, Pursuit, Poison Sting, Rage
Spr_4d_331.png

Needle the Mild Cacnea, ♀ - L25 @ Quick Claw
Ability: Sand Veil
Moves: Absorb, Leech Seed, Return, Pin Missle

Slaves:
Turtwig - Rock Smash

Last edited:

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
Actually, since I'm not going to be using a cartridge (apparently I'm half way through a bug mono on my heart gold)...I might as well use a different deck, because it was mostly the fact that I could have everything pre-elite four that had me wanting to use the James deck so...

I'd like to use Drill Point instead if that's okay.

Final team will probably be Rhyhorn (I doubt I'll end up at a high enough level for it to reach 'don, but if it does I'll hack to evolve it to 'perior), Vibrava (Maybe Flygon), Hippowdon and Aerodactyl.

Last edited:

pokepokemo

The RPing Challenger!
Years
I'm gonna join up for this!
Username:Xero
Deck:Steeplechase
Game:Emerald

I think my pokemon will be Rapidash,Shelgon(Hopefully Salamence),Porygon2
and Swellow.
I need to hack in Ponyta and Porygon2 because I'm playing on an emulator
I'll hack Porygon2 for a starter if that's okay

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I'm gonna join up for this!
Username:Xero
Deck:Steeplechase
Game:Emerald

I think my pokemon will be Rapidash,Shelgon(Hopefully Salamence),Porygon2
and Swellow.
I need to hack in Ponyta and Porygon2 because I'm playing on an emulator
I'll hack Porygon2 for a starter if that's okay

It is okay to hack in Pokemon that you don't need, but you should probably start with a Porygon instead of a Porygon2, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

Back