• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Books to movies

Nathaniel.

is here
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2012
We've seen a number of books adapted into movies lately; some of which impressed watchers while others failed to deliver.

Are there any particular books you'd like to see adapted into a live action? Would you enjoy watching it more rather than reading it?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
A lot of my favourite books have already been adapted into films (The Road, Pride and Prejudice, American Psycho etc.) and a fair number of them are too abstract to translate effectively to the screen (The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Easy Riders Raging Bulls).

But if I had to choose one, it'd probably be something like The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. Although the sheer scope of that book would probably be more befitting to a television miniseries. Either that, or there'd have to be swingeing Harry Potter-esque cuts to be made in order to bring it into a reasonable run-time.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I've been exposed to a lot of books because they were movies, so I'm having trouble coming up with one I love that hasn't already been done.

Oh! The Host by Stephenie Meyer. Don't let the author's name fool you, just because she wrote Twilight doesn't mean she has no talent. The Host is a better book than all four of the Twilight novels combined, and I would love to see it translate to the big screen.

Years
I'd really like Kevin J Anderson's Saga of the Seven Suns transformed into a series of movies. It would probably work better if it was a television series, however - there's far too much going on to fit one book into two hours, let alone ten.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
The Bronze Horseman and it's sequels by Paullina Simons, I absolutely loved these books and I would pay a lot of money to go see them in cinema. Tatiana has to be played by Rachel McAdam's, she would be perfect for the sensual role of Tatiana. Though, I'd hate to see what the rating for the movie would be, considering the extremely graphic sex scenes in all three of the books, especially in The Bronze Horseman.

Years
I'm still hoping for a good adaptation of A Wizard of Earthsea. There hasn't been a good adaptation for it yet which makes me want one all the more strongly.

I would also love a movie for Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, but that's probably too much book for a single movie.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I'm surprised that there isn't a film version of Sputnik Sweetheart, seeing as it's by an acclaimed writer (Haruki Murakami) and film adaptations have been made for some of his other works.

Suspense bordering on being paranormal, symbolism, troubles with love, lots of imagery used, concise plot; it's just begging for a film.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
Years
Well, I prefer the books to the movie adaptations, like the Harry Potter series. I preferred the books because eventually (I dropped it after the Half-Blood Prince) the movies got boring, so I just read the books.
The Twilight saga could have also been portrayed better on the big screen because I only lasted 1/4 though the first movie because in my opinion, it failed and there wasn't much going on...

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
Years
Quite happy right now in terms of books turning into movies. Two of my favorite book series are becoming movies! Tunnels which is my favorite series of all time, and The Hunger Games which I think may not be very good...

Back