• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
We can try tomorrow. :) Got TAFE in the morning. (Which is like Uni but different.)

All right.

pikachueditlk3.png

Does anyone have the offset for the Pikachu for Tile Molester? I tried to find it but could not.

You won't find it ever using Tile Molester (or any other tile editor). That Pikachu is a LZ77 compressed image. Therefore you'll need to search it using unLZ.

HentaiHentai

Banned
Years
Its 9am and I havent slept for a while, So excuse me if I dont search.
Was there a way to add new pals and tilesets?
Im getting so irritated adding in everything pixel by pixel.
Just to have to redo it.

So if there is a quick way to add/increase limit of pals. Or insert uncompressed/compressed tilesets directly that would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Edit: That ROM Map would be awsome!! XD

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Its 9am and I havent slept for a while, So excuse me if I dont search.
Was there a way to add new pals and tilesets?
Im getting so irritated adding in everything pixel by pixel.
Just to have to redo it.

So if there is a quick way to add/increase limit of pals. Or insert uncompressed/compressed tilesets directly that would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Edit: That ROM Map would be awsome!! XD

Search up ZodiacDaGreat's tileset inserter.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
By quoting Sunnybeam, I lead the masses, hurrah!

Thank you so much~~~

It is. Quite easily too (at least in FireRed). The problem lies with the Physical/Special split. By default, any new types you add past the ???-type will be Special. Is this hardcoded in ASM guys? Is it possible to adjust it?

Ah, that works excellently. The Light-type is very definitely Special.

Yes. There's a table of attacks, it's just a case of repointing the table and adding more onto the end. There's a limit of like, 200 extra attacks before it'll cap out.

-pumps fist- Woot.

Yes. The problem comes with new attacks. The animations, of course, are programmed via ASM. These is so they're animated (no duh). When a new attack is added, there's no default animation. What happens?

Game go poof!

Now, any pointers to images used in the animations are in the middle of some ASM. Not useful. Can anyone shed some light on this, either to how the pointer system works for attack animations, or straight-up how to set it up so newly-added attacks will use an animation (new or old)?

Hmmm. ASM, huh...

Yes, but abilities are ASM. It's a tedious process; I personally have no clue how the abilities are organised (bar the names). The only thing one can go off on are pointers near the ability name pointers, possibly leading to the ability code.

...I'm going to have to learn ASM for this thing, aren't I...?

Hell yes. Someone make one of these, instead of another XSE or mapping tutorial.

-blinks- Quite a few people share your sentiment, it seems. I didn't expect to start such a buzz.

Right, so with these questions answered (thank you again, Cy-Chan!), a couple new ones have popped up.

1) After some looking around, I've discovered that a lot of things like type strength and attack effect are determined by long chunks of deceptively complex hex. To alter this information, one must transcript the hex and add on...how does one go about 'repointing' the game so that it refers to the new type/attack table rather than the old one?

2)Not a question, but...in addition to the ROM map idea, there should also be some sort of project to figure out what each unlzGBA image is in each game, and list it. In between the tilsets and sprites and garbled pixelarts, there are a lot of staticky messes, and I'd like to know what they're for.

3) Does anyone know a good site or tutorial for learning about ASM in respect to Pokemon hacks? Also, what programs are needed to implement ASM?

4) This isn't a technical matter at all, but should I go ahead and make a thread for my hack project on Pokecommunity to start recruiting more people into the team, or wait until I have as much done as I can do myself, like more of the Pokedex? (This hack uses Fakemon.)

Again, thanks for all the help, I REALLY appreciate it.

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
Years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildetorr
Is there a way to make it so pokemon can be sold inside of pokemarts?
Yes it is possible.
But you can't do it in the acctual Pokemon Mart box.
you have to make a seperat event
So how do I go about making this other event. If it has to do with scripting iam a complete noob at that so someone would have to provide me with a script for that and tell me how to change the prices.

sprite inserting:I tried following the tutorial here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=154220 to insert sprite but the "?" pokemon still shows up.not sure if i did something wrong or what but maybe somebody could make this tutorial a little simpler.

Also if anyone is really good at spriting can they make front and backsprites for FR of these fakemon just using crudely drawn pictures(the lizard and two cocoons),id do this myself but iam horiible at spriting.?and possibly help me name the first one.(in spoiler)
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Destrozone

Finally Flyin' Solo
Years
All right.

You won't find it ever using Tile Molester (or any other tile editor). That Pikachu is a LZ77 compressed image. Therefore you'll need to search it using unLZ.

Yes, but is there any way to find that offset without having to sort through all the other junk in the rom? Like, does someone actually have a list of offsets for unLZ?

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2009
Through Advanced Map (or a program that is good for it), how would I create a new world map?

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2009
Okay, so this is a really simple question - or at least a low-level one. I'm a total novice to all this stuff, but I'd like to be able to create a playable, editable backup on my PC for some of my games, including the GBA and DS Pokemon titles. All the information I've found, though, both here and elsewhere, is either way too complex for me to understand or only gives lists of devices without giving any discernible explanation of how (or if) they work. So I need to know one main thing:

What device(s) do I need to dump my GBA and DS games onto my PC? (Note that I still want to keep the original cartridges unaltered. Also, the cheaper, the better, as long as it still works - general performance issues like writing speed aren't important.)

I'm a total novice at all of this, so... yeah. A super-technical explanation of pros and cons is going to go way over my head at this point; I just need to know what to get and be sure that it'll all work. ^_^;

Jerros

TloS FTW!!!
Years
I have a problem with giving a sprite to the 25 empty slots in emerald...

The sprite simply doesn't work for me...
I still encounter a "??" sprite called Togekiss (the one i'm trying to insert).

This is what I do:

First I have my Togekiss sprite.
It has 64x64 pixels and 16 colours.

Next, I go to unLZ, import the sprite, and click on "Write to Rom".
I only tick the "Image" box, since that's what i'm only caring for now.
I enter my empty offset in the "image offset" box in unZL (The offset is 00E5D080).
Now i click on "OK" in unLZ.

Next I open my rom in PEP, i go to the first questionmark (called Togekiss).
Now I enter E5D080 in the top box, called "Sprite offset".
I hit the save button, open the rom, and I still encounter a Togekiss with the ?? sprite.

What am I doing wrong!?

Also, something completely else, what is the number in unLZ for the badges in emerald?
There's a topic about that, but they give only the frontier symbol offsets.

Cy-Chan

GSC Hacker
Years
Ah, that works excellently. The Light-type is very definitely Special.

It's a bit messy (the nice-refined version is very comfortably sitting on my hard drive...), but I have a patch for FireRed that adds a Sound-type, in my signature. If you want to use it as a base, go ahead.

...I'm going to have to learn ASM for this thing, aren't I...?

Don't overdo it; I'd imagine you'd have to be quite comprehensive in ASM to make/edit abilities (barring say, Pick Up).

Speaking of Pick Up, I'll look about sometime and see if I can't decipher something, at least concerning that. Can't be too hard...

-blinks- Quite a few people share your sentiment, it seems. I didn't expect to start such a buzz.

ROM Maps are useful. XSE tutorial Ver.209 is not.

1) After some looking around, I've discovered that a lot of things like type strength and attack effect are determined by long chunks of deceptively complex hex. To alter this information, one must transcript the hex and add on...how does one go about 'repointing' the game so that it refers to the new type/attack table rather than the old one?

Ahah, check out my signature, guide to repointing. The first section covers the ins-and-outs of GBA pointers.

Hex isn't that complex; it's just a series of numbers that tells different things. Attack effects are pre-programmed into the game, so it's just a case of changing that "00" (Normal Hit) to another number (for Quick Attack, etc...) I've also done a guide on this, again, in my signature.

2)Not a question, but...in addition to the ROM map idea, there should also be some sort of project to figure out what each unlzGBA image is in each game, and list it. In between the tilsets and sprites and garbled pixelarts, there are a lot of staticky messes, and I'd like to know what they're for.

That's what a ROM Map is, mind you, since images are part of the ROM. There's a few things about that have UNLZ addresses.

3) Does anyone know a good site or tutorial for learning about ASM in respect to Pokemon hacks? Also, what programs are needed to implement ASM?

http://sfc.pokemon-inside.net is the best I've found (Mastermind_X is uber awesome). You'll need a debugger (VBA-SDL-H) and a compiler (HAM, devKitARM). The normal VisualBoyAdvance can be useful too, for finding addresses and what-not.

I'd suggest getting a mastery over everything else first. If you find hex hard, then the ARM architecture will probably rape you. I'd also suggest messing with Z80-8080 first (GBC architecture). Despite the harder-to-use pointer system, the routines themselves are far less confusing, due to limited commands.

4) This isn't a technical matter at all, but should I go ahead and make a thread for my hack project on Pokecommunity to start recruiting more people into the team, or wait until I have as much done as I can do myself, like more of the Pokedex? (This hack uses Fakemon.)

My suggestion is to not make a team. People don't learn anything if they rely on other people to do it for them. After making 20-or-so maps or scripts, numerous hex edits and several hundred sprites, I promise you'll go "huh... guess I could do it after all".

I'd actually abstain from making a thread. I've got several things going, but because of that "NEED RELEASE NAO", I'm able to research things more, find limitations, and learn how to do more things.

If you ever need help, don't hesitate to ask. Hells, I like your moxy, go ahead and friend me, eh.

Again, thanks for all the help, I REALLY appreciate it.

No problem.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Well... you should be aware of the fact not all LZ77-compressed palette use 16 colors.
Like that Pineco, for example. In this case you need to find a 16-color palette to edit and repoint the Pineco one to the one you found. Then you edit the colors as usual and you're done.
Any suggestions?
Where could I find a 16-color pallete? Free space?

Destrozone

Finally Flyin' Solo
Years
Any suggestions?
Where could I find a 16-color palete? Free space?
Well, you could simply go to the Pineco thats already there, and use its palette offset, or you could create your own pallette by editing the colors in APE
OR when you input the new Pineco, export both the palette AND image to empty offsets (use FSF), and voila, you are done!

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2010
Edit intro clip.

Does anybody know how to edit the intro clip of Fire red, any program or something.
Thanks...

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
FIXED

Spoiler:

Last edited:

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
Years
Can someone link me a guide for scripting a triggered event like when you get stopped leaving the starter town before taking a pokemon in gold version.

Cy-Chan

GSC Hacker
Years
Can someone link me a guide for scripting a triggered event like when you get stopped leaving the starter town before taking a pokemon in gold version.

Bah, you need no guide! Download PKSV, and just check out New Bark's trigger script.

Ho-hum, I don't suppose anyone wants to make an auto-event repointer for Gold/Silver? That would be nice.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
Years
Well... and your backups?

The earliest backup I've got has one map (which includes two modified tiles), half an edited female overworld sprite, and a changed title screen cry with the TS Cry Changer. Any earlier than that and I'm working with the FireRed rom I started with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back