• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: In which we welcome back Shining Raichu from his extended vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
But that looks like Emma Watson in your sig! God, I love that woman <3
urt48Fk.png

Oh God, now I wanna watch Harry Potter all over again... Some obsessions just can't be filled D:

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Loved reading the books growing up. Could never get into the movies though

Echidna

Years
I dunno, the Harry Potter series seemed so overhyped, looking back.

She was much better in Perks.
I don't think I like you anymore. :p

The Harry Potter series was not over-hyped. The books were brilliant, the movies were amazing, overall building up to the most successful franchise in the history of ever.

J.K. Rowling took a pen and paper and created a whole new world. Not an east feat if you ask me.

Honest

Hi!
Years
I feel like some of the charm died off after the original actor for Dumbledore passed away after the second film. He was amazing, the new dude just sucked.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I loved the Harry Potter series because there was such a fun cast of characters. Even people in the extended cast who weren't major players felt like they were these real people who contributed to the world they were in.

Though I do think the books are pretty over hyped, I don't really care too much? It's great to see people excited about books, especially younger people. (and fairly decent books at that)

(also, drat! totally missed the Avatar talk!)

Crux

Evermore
Years
@Dipu:
I'm really not sure whether to take that as a complement, or what...
I'm older, but always seem younger on the internet for some reason.

Meh, the first couple of Harry Potter movies were okay, but I lost interest around number four.
Guys... don't hate me, but I haven't even seen Perks of Being a Wallflower. :s

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Oh man I love Harry Potter. I dont think the books were overhyped, I view them all as being very good. I enjoyed the movies too, though the earlier ones were better IMO

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
The original actor who died was pretty sad indeed but Michael Gambon was a GREAT Dumbledore also. The movies are great, just like the books. The thing that I wanted to see in the movies that was only in the books, was Peeves. The mischievous ghost, his character was amazing in the books.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I haven't even seen Perks of Being a Wallflower. :s
You aren't alone, my friend. X} I haven't seen it, either- and don't plan to.

I've never cared about anything pertaining to harry potter. T: Never read the books or seen the movies. If I remember correctly, my sister tried reading the books and thought it was really stupid. I won't judge it too much, though, considering I don't know anything about it.

By the way, Roc, I did get around to looking over your song and I really like it. [: I honestly was smiling by the time I finished reading the lyrics haha.

Echidna

Years
I feel like some of the charm died off after the original actor for Dumbledore passed away after the second film. He was amazing, the new dude just sucked.

I loved the Harry Potter series because there was such a fun cast of characters. Even people in the extended cast who weren't major players felt like they were these real people who contributed to the world they were in.

Though I do think the books are pretty over hyped, I don't really care too much? It's great to see people excited about books, especially younger people. (and fairly decent books at that)

(also, drat! totally missed the Avatar talk!)

@Dipu:
I'm really not sure whether to take that as a complement, or what...
I'm older, but always seem younger on the internet for some reason.

Meh, the first couple of Harry Potter movies were okay, but I lost interest around number four.
Guys... don't hate me, but I haven't even seen Perks of Being a Wallflower. :s

The books couldn't possible have been over-hyped, and I'll explain why. Most people think that J.K. Rowling sat down and wrote a book, then published it and decided to make more because it was popular... that could not be more false.

For years before she even began to write the first book, Rowling sat down with a type-writer and sometimes a pen & paper, and started to jot down the outlines of the Harry Potter universe, even delving into the deepest and most precise details. She created species, characters, plots and sub-plots, history, stereotypes... etc.

After having done so, she goes out and writes the 7 main series books as events that took place in her created fictional universe. The events in those books aren't even near the full history and legacy of the Harry Potter universe! After she released these books, she went on to outline a little bit more of her universe in books such as Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (supposedly a Hogwarts textbook) and Quidditch Through the Ages (a book Harry supposedly reads for entertainment) and The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

Not to mention Pottermore, which is an expansion to the Harry Potter universe where she presents a lot of her ideas/notes and unpublished text about, again, her fictional universe.

All this is aside from the loads of notes and ideas she has that have yet to be disclosed.

I'll give you a representative picture:
Spoiler:

Consider everything inside that big circle the Harry Potter universe. Everything inside the red box is the content of the 7 main series books. Everything outside the red box is the stuff in her supplementary books, Pottermore, and undisclosed notes and what not.

It's a brilliant franchise.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
So apparently I disapeared and suddenly there was book talk.

Personally I've never been a huge fan of the HP series. I felt like they were the LOTR books for a younger generation, and myself have always preferred Tolkien's fantasy universe.

Tolkien also wrote a bunch more than most people realize;

Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics
The Father Christmas Letters [published after his death]
Mr. Bliss
Roverandom
Leaf by Niggle (part of Tree and Leaf
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
On Fairy-Stories
Smith of Wootton Major
Farmer Giles of Ham
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle-earth
The Children of Húrin
The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún

If you think the HP universe is detailed.... Tolkien wrote detailed information about 1000's of years of history for middle earth. The amount of detail in the Silmarillion is staggering.
It's a shame he died before fully finnishing his work.

I also love H.P. Lovecraft, a fantastic horror author.

Honest

Hi!
Years
You guys really should get around to seeing Perks, just saying. Especially if you're a high school kid.

Pottermore! Is that place any fun? :c

Crux

Evermore
Years
@Slender:
I really am glad you like it, but that's not entirerly helpful. X}
Thank you though, truely.

@Pedro:
Pedro... that's what any fiction writer is supposed to do when writing a series.
It just doesn't take most people half their life. X)
I get your point, but what i'm trying to say is that I was able to predict how it all would end, and that's one thing I really hate in any kind of story.
We each have opinions, you really like Harry Potter, I personally prefer The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

@Somniac:
Tolkien, Lovecraft, yes!
Have you ever read any of Robert E. Howard's stuff?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Well, I didn't notice anything worth changing. I can't critique something if I can't find mistakes. [;

Wow, okay.
I was just stopped from walking through the kitchen. Why? Because my mother kept threatening me with her fork. Such an interesting family. X}

Echidna

Years
So apparently I disapeared and suddenly there was book talk.

Personally I've never been a huge fan of the HP series. I felt like they were the LOTR books for a younger generation, and myself have always preferred Tolkien's fantasy universe.

Tolkien also wrote a bunch more than most people realize;

Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics
The Father Christmas Letters [published after his death]
Mr. Bliss
Roverandom
Leaf by Niggle (part of Tree and Leaf
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
On Fairy-Stories
Smith of Wootton Major
Farmer Giles of Ham
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle-earth
The Children of Húrin
The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún

If you think the HP universe is detailed.... Tolkien wrote detailed information about 1000's of years of history for middle earth. The amount of detail in the Silmarillion is staggering.
It's a shame he died before fully finnishing his work.

I also love H.P. Lovecraft, a fantastic horror author.
I actually agree with you :p
My favorite three franchises are Harry Potter, LotR, and Pokemon xD
Tolkien's history of the Middle Earth is amazing.
@Pedro:
Pedro... that's what any fiction writer is supposed to do when writing a series.
It just doesn't take most people half their life. X)
I get your point, but what i'm trying to say is that I was able to predict how it all would end, and that's one thing I really hate in any kind of story.
We each have opinions, you really like Harry Potter, I personally prefer The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Yes it is, but rarely do they delve that deep into their fictional worlds! I mean Harry Potter was successful for a reason.
Personally, I got into it via the films. Then I read the books. Then I started this obsession about every detail in the Harry Potter universe that I didn't know yet. I still don't know half of it sadly :(

But yeah, think of it this way. For a franchise to have achieved this much success, it had to have done something spectacularly right.

Last edited:

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
@Somniac:
Tolkien, Lovecraft, yes!
Have you ever read any of Robert E. Howard's stuff?

Ah yes, I have read 'The Hour of the Dragon.' but nothing else, although I would love to ready more but unfortunately the library in my town is rather lackluster. I get most of my books online due to this.

Well, I didn't notice anything worth changing. I can't critique something if I can't find mistakes. [;

Wow, okay.
I was just stopped from walking through the kitchen. Why? Because my mother kept threatening me with her fork. Such an interesting family. X}

Don't think too lightly of it, a fork is just multiple knives strapped together, waiting to stab you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back