• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Slow Learner Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Welcome one and all to what I believe is the first time this challenge has been done. If someone else has come up with this challenge before me, let me know. The Slow Learner challenge is simple, but extremely challenging.

The Objective: Defeat the Elite Four and become the champion of the region.

The Challenge: Once a Pokemon learns a move, it can never be forgotten.

That's right. Bulbasaur is going to know tackle even when he's a level 64 Venusaur. The only exception to this rule is HMs. You can make a Pokemon forget a move to learn an HM, but it can never be forgotten, even with the move deleter. TMs are also not allowed. Neither are Legendaries since they are usually caught with really powerful moves and crazy strong stats. Trading is acceptable for evolutions, but you have to stick to whatever Pokemon you catch. No trading a Metagross into your game.

When your Pokemon has 4 moves locked in, then you should post his/her moves in your update. Only for Pokemon you use though. don't post every Pokemon you catch with 4 moves.

Education Level:
For each region you complete, you go up a level. You can play a main series game, or matching remake for each new play through, but beating the same region twice will not be counted except in the case of the 5th Gen sequels, which may be played in addition to Black or White.

My sign-up:
Spoiler:

That's all you need to sign up. Post regular updates at least once a week please. I'm curious to see how this challenge pans out.

Challengers:
Spoiler:

Graduates:
Spoiler:

Associates:
Spoiler:

Bachelors:
Spoiler:

Masters:
Spoiler:

Thread Userbars courtesy of Mavy42!

Resident Slow Learner joshbl56 has been so kind as to donate several additional userbars for anyone who wishes to represent the game they are playing, instead of the tier they are on.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I approved this on the assumption you forgot to list yourself as a challenger. You posted your sign up, but didn't include yourself in that list. If you're not participating, I'll have to lock this. If you are, please include yourself in the list. And in the future, please do the same. It makes it hard to tell when people sign up but aren't listed as participating. Thanks.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Yeah. I realized that I forgot to list it after I sent it and hoped you wouldn't reject it. I'll update it now.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It's no problem. In the future, if you realize you forgot to add yourself, you can PM me and hopefully I'll get the PM before I see the thread, haha. Anyway, good luck to you and everyone else participating. :)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
OK. I have started my challenge. Had to look everywhere for my copy of Heart Gold. Don't know if anyone is monitoring this challenge to see if it's worth joining, but I hope someone takes interest soon. Nothing too difficult this early in the game.

Received Tododile from Prof. Elm
Met Mr. Pokemon
Defeated Red Hair
Brought Prof. Elm the Mystery Egg

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Made it to Violet City
Defeated Bellsprout tower

Still hoping someone does this with me. I think it has alot of potential. Especially later in the game when you have to choose pokemon with better move sets that you catch at higher levels.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
Challenger: Element0
Game: LeafGreen
this challenge seems like fun. ill be starting soon once i get my leafgreen out. i dont know which starter will be best for this challenge but ill probably pick out Bulbasaur since he's my favorite.
Updates soon

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Challenger: Ninjagon
Game: Fire Red

I also think this will be fun. I'll get started tomorrow.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Alright! Finally got some new challengers. I'll be doing a session tonight or tomorrow and post an update when I'm done. Good luck fellas.

UPDATE: I just thought I'd post my final move set for my Totodile. You guys should do the same when one of your pokemon has 4 moves locked in.

Totodile:
1. Scratch
2. Leer
3. Water Gun
4. Rage

Not great, but it's still early. I'll start raising more pokemon tonight.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
By chance can anyone help me make my initial post look better. I'm fairly new to forums and don't know how to make it look nice. If anyone can help or knows someone who can send me a PM. Thanks!

Arcturus.

Years
Update 1

while i normally always pick the grass starter for pokemon games i decided to switch it up to squirtle. a little side note, water types will probably abuse the HMs since they can be taught instead of TMs
  • Started a new game.
  • Named myself Element, rival named Red.
  • Picked Squirtle as starter and beat my rival in battle.
  • got professor oak his package
  • got pokedex and pokeballs
  • caught a pidgey
  • caught a rattata
  • caught a spearow
  • caught a mankey
  • beat rival in another battle
  • caught a caterpie
  • caught a weedle
  • tried a to catch a pikachu but failed at catching the first one i saw and gave up
  • easily beat brock with squirtle

Current Team
Spoiler:

Box
Spoiler:

Evolutions
Spoiler:

I'll probably update after every gym or really big battle (like legendarys or me almost losing a fight but winning at the last second)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I know that water HMs are a bit of an issue. But they're necessary to beat the game, so what can you do? It does still limit your moveset though. All water type moves can be a dangerous thing if you get caught in the wrong situation.

BlueShellBeast

Rodent User
Years
I have a question. I know that you say that you're allowed to teach your Pokemon HM's, but does this include Fly and Flash seeing as both are not required to beat the games?

BlueShellBeast's Pokemon Blue Update #1
Badges Currently Obtained: 4

• I started the game off by naming my trainer BlueSB and my rival Gary.
  • I chose the starter Charmander and named him Genki. (Note: I'm not going to evolve this guy to add an extra challenge.)
  • I caught a Rattata (Rattle) and a Pidgey (Poppo).
  • I beat Gary.
  • I caught a Caterpie (Buggy) and evolved it.
  • I beat Brock (Spammed Ember to burn and faint the Geodude, and Poppo spammed Sand-Attack to make sure the Onix hardly ever hit.)
  • I caught a Spearow (Scott) outside of Mt. Moon. I grinded all of my Pokemon up to level 17 and went inside.
  • Once I got out, I caught a Sandshrew (Edward) and grinded him up with the rest of the group on Nugget Bridge.
  • Rattle the Raticate took care of Misty.
  • Edward took care of all of the S.S. Anne and Lt. Surge. (I really love Sandslashes!)
  • I went through Rock Tunnel and beat my Rival once again in Lavender Town.
  • I went to Celadon, and Genki easily beat the gym there. I then bought coins in order to get an Abra (Feji). He replaced Buggy on the team.
  • I ruined Team Rocket's plans in Celadon.
  • I evolved Feji into a Kadabra. Right after that, I went into the Pokemon Tower, and he then proceeded to destroy everything in sight. (Okay, I may have a new favorite...)
  • I decided to replace Poppo the Pidgeotto with Merlin the Magicarp.
  • Feji destroyed the Fighting Dojo.
  • I removed Team Rocket from the Sliph Co. Building. Merlin evolved from all of the experience.
  • Feji and Edward tore Sabrina's Gym apart.

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Arcturus.

Years
Shhh! Don't tell him fly is not needed!
Oh wow, you're already got four badges in your first update? I'm doing this challenge a bit slower so I don't forget any important details. Speaking of updates, expect mine soon.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
The rule will remain the same. Fly is useful, and despite being a stronger HM, it does take 2 turns to use.

BlueShellBeast

Rodent User
Years
I actually finished this challenge a few days ago, however, I've been lazy... I must say, it actually WAS very challenging in the E4 due to having weak moves. It was interesting.

BlueShellBeast's Pokemon Blue Update #2
Badges Currently Obtained: 8 (E4 Beaten)

• Feji the Kadabra completely destroyed Koga's Team.
  • I got lost in the Safari Zone and caught a full box of Pokemon before I figured out where the Golden Tooth and Surf was.
  • I taught Merlin both Surf and Strength.
  • Merlin demolished the Cinnabar Gym, even though most of them were 20 levels over him.
  • I swam back to Viridian City to fight Giovanni. His Rhydon gave me a lot of trouble, but I was able to win in the end.
  • Speaking of a lot of trouble, my Rival was also evil. I had a tough time taking out that Alakazam...
  • After finally making my way out of Victory Road, I decided to grind both Feji and Merlin to level 50. (Was planning to do the same with everyone else, but I got lazy.)
  • I had Merlin take out Lorelei after some trial and error.
  • Feji had no trouble taking out Bruno and Agatha.
  • Lance was fairly tough. I started the fight off with Merlin (who eventually went down), so I took out Edward, the only other person in my party who could take hits. He went down after a while, but it was tough without many powerful moves. (At this point, Merlin had hardly any PP left in Surf or Strength.)
  • I healed up, and then went in to defeat my Rival.
  • There were a lot of close calls in the battle with Gary. I had to use multiple revives and everything. I started the battle out with Merlin, however, he went down to the Alakazam. I then sent Edward out, and he slashed the Alakazam to death, only to fall to Exeggutor later on. I sent Genki out at this point to see if ember would do anything (it didn't). He quickly fainted, and I brought out Rattle in order to revive both Edward and Merlin. He died after that, and Merlin proceeded to use Bite until that thing finally fell. I was slightly worried about that Blastoise, but that Pokemon was more worried about raising its defenses than attacking me.
And with that, my journey ends.

Final Team
Spoiler:

Time to try this in Johto!

Challenger: BlueShellBeast
Game: Soul Silver

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back