• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think of the Action Replay users?

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
If there is someone using the Action Replay codes to play the game (For offline play only), what do you think of them? Of course, the codes are not like quick level gain or those that will completely ruin the game. For example, codes like making Pidgeot appears in all wild encounters to quicken EV Train, making a specific Pokémon to appear because it can't be obtained in the game, or just too lazy to find it, having 99 Master Balls, or something. Personally, I think it's fine as they don't disturb the actual community and they can play the game their way. What's your opinion on them?

Last edited:

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
People can do whatever they like in the privacy of their own homes, as long as nobody is harmed. Using Action Replay is not morally questionable, haha.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

All of us are able (or at least, not restricted) to use it, however unethical or ethical it may be. So I guess it's everyone's choice and right to do so.

But as mentioned above... all that really matters is that they don't spoil anyone else's game. I'm glad Gamefreak was able to do something about it. It's always relieving to have such companies secure their online community, even at the very least.

Crystalanachrony

ℱ a e r i e . ℚ u e e n
Years
More power to them. I understand if someone wanted to have a Pidgeot swarm everywhere, like you said, or even to make their Pokémon level 100 so they could breeze through the game -- there are reasons one would need to do that. Off the top of my head, I would want to have all the battles go quickly so I could review the plot of Platinum without putting in all the training and misery to just defeat Fantina.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I think that Action Replays are fine. They're helpful when using them for getting Pokemon for Challenges, also I like when people use them for cloning and faster breeding purposes.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I don't really see anything wrong with using one, as long as it doesn't screw over other people, like with instant win codes or using Pokemon with 31 IVs in all stats or something.

I only used it for one purpose, and that was for infinite Rare Candies to fill my Pokedex faster. I don't have that patience to train and evolve every Pokemon in existence by battling, so that helped greatly. Then I deleted the remaining Rare Candies when I was done, and no one was hurt.

Years
Im ok with it. I don't use them myself but I have battled someone who had a perfect IV Raichu. And that was hell. So as long as people don't use them in competitive battling and just use them in game I don't really mind. Each to their own. But I do like playing through without help. Makes it more exciting.

Mackenzie

Say Somethin'!
Years
Since i'm participating in a community that frowns upon hacks, I honestly wouldn't advise the wild pokemon modifier code to be used in order to be passed off as legit (like obtaining the unreleased azure flute arceus for example; this does not cover however the past wonder card pokemon that despite their unavailability, are still obtainable in the form of AR codes like oak's letter shaymin, and the rotom-formes). However the other proposed codes are fine, honestly i think most competitive battlers even use them (x99 items specifically rare candies, rebattle codes, etc.). Some codes however, like using rotom formes on wifi, are under the discretion of the battlers.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
As long as no SOB trades me a hacked Deoxys (should have known something was up when he only wanted a EV trained Froslass xD), I'm not going to get really angry at them. I just wouldn't do it myself though, I enjoy my games as they are. And built-in cheats like in AC3, Midnight Club: LA etc. have got to be more fun than entering a code into a device that could potentially ruin your DS at any moment.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
It's their game, It's their money. They can use AR if they feel it enhances there experience. Just as long as they don't affect 'legit' players, they get my seal of tolerance.

Years
I use an action replay. not for getting perfect IV's or anything like that, but for two reasons
1) all items. on my fifth playthrough of pokemon diamond Im not going to play it for 300 hours, so I get all the items. it lets me enjoy tm moves, seals, poke balls, berries, stuff like that.

2) event items. when I replay heart gold, I want to be able to battle Giovanni and receive a giaratina egg. when I play black, I want to be able to reach victini. its part of the story, and someone spent time programming it in. why should I miss out, just because I want to play the game again, and didn't get to go to an event? plus, in Australia a lot of the events don't come here, so I haven't really gotten access to that many. when I tried to get keldio, the local eb games wasn't even distributing it on the day, despite the fliers in the store. to do the in game story, I had to create a keldio from scratch online and send it to my game. I don't cheat to win at online battles, I use an action replay to play the games to their fullest and to get the most out of them

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I'm an action replay user and I've learned from experience not to mess too much with the system of battles cause it can freeze up the game.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with hacking TMs or Moves, or even making certain pokemon to appear. I don't use the online features or trade at all so it doesn't affect that side of it. Recently I even hacked a Rapidsh to learn all TMs just so I could teach it Rock Climb. I don't see a problem when it's for your own entertainment really. Plus, I'm not going to train Pokemon for hours to evolve them so I might use a fast EXP gain code from time to time. It depends on what I want it for, but usually for hacking in specific items or something. Like wanting a Steelix but not being able to get a metal coat. I see no shame in hacking one in.

Maybe I take it a bit too far? :/

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
I'm an action replay user and I've learned from experience not to mess too much with the system of battles cause it can freeze up the game.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with hacking TMs or Moves, or even making certain pokemon to appear. I don't use the online features or trade at all so it doesn't affect that side of it. Recently I even hacked a Rapidsh to learn all TMs just so I could teach it Rock Climb. I don't see a problem when it's for your own entertainment really. Plus, I'm not going to train Pokemon for hours to evolve them so I might use a fast EXP gain code from time to time. It depends on what I want it for, but usually for hacking in specific items or something. Like wanting a Steelix but not being able to get a metal coat. I see no shame in hacking one in.

Maybe I take it a bit too far? :/
Well, as long as the game itself is not damaged, and you don't play online with all those codes, I wouldn't say you went too far. If it's for offline play, all TMs, wild Pokemon Modifier as well as quick exp gain is acceptable as long as you're fine with using them.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
It's their choice, they can do whatever they want. Assuming they aren't trying to pass off hacked 'mons as real, or making their Pokemon excessively powerful to win competitive battles, that is.

I personally don't use my Action Replay for anything except cloning, unless I intend not to save the game.

Brolijah

Secretly (Not) Active
Years
I say it depends on the purpose and useage. So long as it doesn't pose a problem for other people. I use an AR, and actually used it earlier. For my purposes, it's training. I use it for checking the hidden stats on Pokémon, IVs and EVs. And some long time ago I used a berry cheat and BP cheat. (BP to buy Power items and battling items. More organized imo than an all item cheat).

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I've used one and don't have anything against anyone who uses it because GF kinda forces you to use it under certain circumstances like checking EVs.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2014
Theres nothing wrong with using it. As long as it helps you but doesnt harm anyone else. I personally used the Action Replay to catch some pokemon i couldnt find in-game and to add MasterBalls(although i never used them).

Whats wrong is using a One-hit KO cheat when battling a real person. Or any other thpe of cheat that gives you an advantage in a real battle

Back