• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weird, Interesting, and Funny Pokedex Entries

Years
With the release of Pokemon Sun & Moon, Pokedex entries have become weirder than ever before, but even before then we've had our fair share of Pokedex entries that stuck out at us. These included entries such as ones that don't match up with a Pokemon's stats or movepool, weird stuff that a Pokemon does, and some that just outright creeped us out.

That's why this thread is to share all those Pokedex entries you found stuck out the most at you - mention the game in question if there's one in particular, and also share thoughts on what others think about Pokedex entries!

Trainer 766

I think the strange one here is Christo...I mean Bewear's Pokedex entry.That thing love its companion so much a hug sent him to heaven.I'd love to have one.

:hug:

Years
I figured it should be time to actually share Dex entries for real. One I'd love to start with is Lampent.

White / Y / Alpha Sapphire: It arrives near the moment of death and steals spirit from the body.

B2W2 / X / Omega Ruby: The spirits it absorbs fuel its baleful fire. It hangs around hospitals waiting for people to pass on.

You do have to admit the mention of references to death is grim. Sun & Moon, as mentioned is known for its dark and grim Pokedex entries but I feel this was really where Game Freak were going into dark territory.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Lot of weird ones in S/M. I'm almost inclined to think it's just Rotom trolling at times. A few favorites:

Primeape (Sun): It has been known to become so angry that it dies as a result. Its face looks peaceful in death, however.

Gengar (Sun): Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up. {XD}

Years
Primeape (Sun): It has been known to become so angry that it dies as a result. Its face looks peaceful in death, however.

That one has to be a standout because it is a notable example of S/M's extremely grim Pokedex entries. I was saying to myself "what were Game Freak smoking" when they came up with this one, especially since I hate death being portrayed in a positive light like what the Dex entry said.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
A lot of entries also refer to certain pokemon feeding on said pokemon. Like Weavile feeding on Vulpix and Sandshrew for example. I don't think it was ever mentioned as much as it is in Sun/Moon.

Years
"One day a boy woke up and was an Kadabra." I may be paraphrasing a little. It's so wtf like you not just gon speed past that like you didn't just say what you just said.

Years
Ones I definitely have to mention are ones that totally don't match up with a Pokemon's stats, like these ones here.

Escavalier (Black): They fly around at high speed, striking with their pointed spears. Even when in trouble, they face opponents bravely.

Vikavolt (Sun): It zips around, on sharp lookout for an opening. It concentrates electrical energy within its large jaws and uses it to zap its enemies.

Game Freak, did you forget how slow these Pokemon actually were?

blue

gucci
Years
They fly around at high speed, striking with their pointed spears. Even when in trouble, they face opponents bravely.

Accelgor's Pokédex entry confuses me for the fact that it only has a base stat Speed of 20??

It enwraps its prey in its hair like arms. It sings joyfully as it observes the suffering of its prey.

Gourgeist is a great Pokémon but the Pokédex entry in Y is creepy af.

Years
Accelgor's Pokédex entry confuses me for the fact that it only has a base stat Speed of 20??

Lol... Accelgor is 145 base Speed. You were thinking of Escavalier.

Oh well, here's some that suggest a Pokemon would learn a certain move but they don't.

Scrafty (Black): Groups of them beat up anything that enter their territory. Each can spit acidic liquid from its mouth.

Uh, it doesn't learn Beat Up.

Ampharos (Gold/LG/HG/X/Y) The tip of its tail shines brightly. In the olden days, people sent signals using the tail's light.

Ampharos (Silver/FR/SS) The bright light on its tail can be seen far away. It has been treasured since ancient times as a beacon.

And yet the reason why you can't use Tail Glow is because the move is actually "Firefly Light".

Umbreon (Moon): With its black fur, it blends into the darkness. It bides its time, and when prey appears, this Pokémon goes for its throat, and then eats it.

Eeek! I know 7th Gen has creepy ones, but this one is outright cannibalism.

Years
Tsareena (Moon): A Pokémon known for the beauty of its well-shaped legs, it sometimes appears as a mascot in advertisements for beauty salons.

Tsareena (Sun): Its long, striking legs aren't just for show but to be used to kick with skill. In victory, it shows off by kicking the defeated, laughing boisterously.

A clear sign Game Freak want you to look at those legs, because she's got dem legs.

Primarina (Moon): Its singing voice is its chief weapon in battle. This Pokémon's Trainer must prioritize the daily maintenance of its throat at all costs.

So basically, losing your voice also means losing the ability to fight. Poor thing.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I actually really like a lot of the Gen 7 ones because they give the impression of there being an actual Pokémon ecosystem + predator/prey chain, which was something that has never really been brought up before as far as I know.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Moon Pokedex Entry for Palossand

Buried beneath the castle are masses of dried-up bones from those whose vitality it has drained.
I find Palo pokedex is just creepiest and scary.. makes me goosebumps

Kadabra: It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Kadabra.

It remembers every dream it eats. It rarely eats the dreams of adults because children's are much tastier. (Silver Entry)
Now, go to sleep..

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Moon Pokedex Entry for Palossand

Buried beneath the castle are masses of dried-up bones from those whose vitality it has drained.
I find Palo pokedex is just creepiest and scary.. makes me goosebumps

Kadabra: It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Kadabra.

It remembers every dream it eats. It rarely eats the dreams of adults because children's are much tastier. (Silver Entry)
Now, go to sleep..
whoa... i forgot about those ahaha. the creepy ones are some of my favorites

Years
Wishiwashi-School (Moon): At their appearance, even Gyarados will flee. When they team up to use Water Gun, its power exceeds that of Hydro Pump.

What the heck? You think a group of Pokemon using a 40 BP move would be the same as just one Pokemon using a 110 BP move?

smocks

fiat lux
Years
The Pokédex entries for Mareanie & Toxapex are a bit unsettling to me aha ..

Mareanie (Moon): It's found crawling on beaches and seafloors. The coral that grows on Corsola's head is as good as a five-star banquet to this Pokémon.
Toxapex (Sun): Toxapex crawls along the ocean floor on its 12 legs. It leaves a trail of Corsola bits scattered in its wake
They really love their Corsola :(
Toxapex (Moon):Those attacked by Toxapex's poison will suffer intense pain for three days and three nights. Post-recovery, there will be some aftereffects.
----what type of aftereffects ??

Mudsdale's is kinda funny but interesting
Mudsdale (Sun): It spits a mud that provides resistance to both wind and rain, so the walls of old houses were often coated with it.
Imagine your house being made out with Mudsdale spit lol

Last edited:
Back