• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too similar pokémon!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Are there any pokémon you think are too similar to another? Like, they should have come up with something new and different instead of taking the same idea and just make it slightly different or throw in new typings?

Don't just state what pokemon you think are too similar, explain why and maybe what you think they could have done to make them differ more. And be prepared for other people discussing around your opinions :3​

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Those rodent Pokemon you get at the start of the game...you know, Rattata, Zigzagoon, Sentret, Bidoof, etc. I think they don't have much thought put into them, and seem rather copy + paste to me.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
You're a mod now? Congrats! :D I'd probably say some bug Pokemon are too similar, i.e Caterpie, Weedle, Wurmple, Silcoon, Cascoon, Metapod, Butterfree, Beautifly, Venomoth, Dustox, you get the idea... There's a lot of bugs in the world and have virtual copies of the lines from 1st gen? They could be a little more creative, do we have a mantis, stick insect, mosquito Pokemon etc? That's just my opinion, some differing or more exotic kind of bugs would be nice (credit to Surskit though, it's a really good looking water strider)
Yes, I am actually modding this very section ;) Thanks!

I agree, but I think the Beedrill and Dustox lines are okay. They have varied the starting worms/caterpillars as much as they can while still keeping it a worm/caterpillar imo. The butterflied though! Ugh. Butterfree is amazing and Beautifly is cute but they are too similar - and now there is yet another butterfree pokémon, it seems, in gen VI. I don't like that they have more than one butterfly.

They did make Leavanny to be a mantis like pokémon, and there is always Scyther. So generally I think the bug pokémon are okay, except for those butterflies. And moths (Venomoth and Mothim ._. unnecessary).

Those rodent Pokemon you get at the start of the game...you know, Rattata, Zigzagoon, Sentret, Bidoof, etc. I think they don't have much thought put into them, and seem rather copy + paste to me.
I think they are quite different actually! They are meant to be normal-typed, weak rodents, and they certainly do their job. They also are based on completely different animals. Rat, ferret, raccoon, beaver, meerkat. So in my book, they are okay ^^

I don't like that Shinx and that new lion pokémon are so similar. I always thought Shinx looked too cartoonish but now this new one is over the top. It looks like a plush made to make a 3 year old happy. I certainly hope that its evolutions are more badass; I would have liked them to be more alike Poochyena and Mightyena. Anyways, they are very similar, Shinx and this new one, and I think they could have made the new one not look as dorky happy and instead maybe calm and cool or something. More like Growlithe's style.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I've always liked the variety in these! Raticate was an attacker, Furret was (somewhat) bulky, Linoone was the speed freak, Bidoof was dual-typed, and Watchog was... I don't know, I guess something to do with his moves? XD But yeah, I've always loved the early rodents haha, I hope they never stop making them!

Personally I think the Magnemite and Klink families are far too similar. They both go through their evolution forms in pretty much the exact same way and are both Steel/machine-like Pokémon, the only difference being that Magnemite is a special attacker and Klink is physical. I never liked that they introduced Magnemite v2, it seemed like a really lazy concept haha.

Years
Tauros and Bouffalant ... are awesome before anyone says anything. And I've grown on Sawk and Throh. Gigalith and Golem, though, I'm not very cool with them. They are just so rocks. On the other hand, Judo and Karate make a cool match like punching and kicking.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
It's actually pretty smart, the way they created almost similar species in each region. It actually corresponds to the actual diversity of the species of animals (and plants) in our world (yay animals). I mean, I don't think you should expect to see the same kind of rodent found in Asia whilst being in North America. They are similar, yes, but they still have that different characteristic among them, much like how the rodent-like Pokémon have different characteristics among them.

also, what is Dunsparce based from anyway. i haven't seen any Pokémon that is similar to it ._.

Lol you spelled two wrong, but anyways Luvdisc & Alomomola.
The title of the thread is actually correct, grammatically speaking :p

Years
Luvdisc & Alomomola as previously said.

Sawk & Throh may not look much like Hitmonchan & Lee but we only need one pair. The Hitmons have much, much better designs so I'd prefer Sawk & Throh to be gone.

Corphish & Crawdaunt are very boring after Krabby & Kingler as well. Crawdaunt looks quite different, but it doesn't look good so it would be better if it had never existed. Another water type crustacean is on the way as well - fun.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
They're pretty much done for a purpose. I, for one, like the similarities between certain Pokémon, as they play specific roles, i.e. the Geodude and Roggenrola lines playing the role of the regional Rocks. The Pidgey, Hoothoot, Taillow, Starly and Pidove (and maybe Fletchling too) lines also serve the role of the early birds, so if you need a Flying Pokémon for the region you're in, you can use any one of these (that is, until a better one shows up).

Years
Stantler and Sawsbuck, I prefer Sawsbuck but they are both deer Pokemon.

Also, Mightyena and Arcanine look very similar. Some obvious key differences in their ability but similar nonetheless.

Luxray and Manectric are practically the same.

And what's the deal man, Genesect is obviously a Kabutops cyborg.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Nah, I don't mind similar Pokemon. The individual species that similar Pokemon are based on is often different enough to be really interesting, such as the bases for all of the early-game birds.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
It's actually pretty smart, the way they created almost similar species in each region. It actually corresponds to the actual diversity of the species of animals (and plants) in our world (yay animals). I mean, I don't think you should expect to see the same kind of rodent found in Asia whilst being in North America. They are similar, yes, but they still have that different characteristic among them, much like how the rodent-like Pokémon have different characteristics among them.

I get what you're saying, and now that I've seen that opinion I do feel inclined to agree that the idea is good, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Personally, Roggenrola and Geodude's similarities bother me - did we really need another regional rock type whose final evolution a trade evolution. Same story with Machop and Timburr. As someone's already mentioned too the Throh and Sawk are kinda the Unova versions of the Hitmon-pair. Not to sound like a Genwunner, but I do personally prefer the Hitmons, in spite of never using them :P

I wasn't really gone on Emolga's ridiculous similarities to Pachirisu either. Maybe they could have considered making him a different type - can you imagine a little badass Fire/Flying or Fighting/Flying rodent? :) And then Victini and Emolga seem to be based off the flying squirrel thing too?

At the same time though, we kinda have to expect a bit of a creature rehash at this point - there are nearly 700 of the critters at this stage, a little bit of overlap would be expected. Not what we want to hear but it's true unfortunately.

droomph

weeb
Years
There can be over 500 species of fish in the same one pond, with their only differences being that they're colored a bit differently.

But do we call God/evolution/the cyborg overlords (don't want to start a debate here but yes they do evolve) lazy or unoriginal? Well maybe not since we have so many others, but my point is, the reason we have more than, what, 1,000 total species is because we have ecological equivalents (in Pokemon eg Pidgey, Tailow, Starly etc) and undiverged species (eg two species of horse that have just stopped being able to mate but still take up the same niche) and related species (we think of a tiger and lion as from two different species but we freak out over Shinx and Litleo?)

So in a made-up universe, who's to say it has to function in one certain way, especially when it's based on a universe that does the complete opposite?

I know I sound stupid there but that's how I see Magnemite vs. Klink, Geodude vs Roggenrola, etc. and still stay sane.

added droomph ramble bonus:

Also, for the people who think there's too many forms, think of it this way - humans alone have 3 or 4 subspecies, or "forms", in which they cannot change out of (such as Shellos or Wormadam), and dogs have about 100 forms (from chihuahua to Great Dane), and chameleons and octopuses have different "forms" they change out of. Just food for thought.

Also Zeus and most Gods can change forms reversibly.

So think about that.

Just think about it.

Last edited:
Years
I'm going to agree with the other Darwinists in the room. The fact that there are so many Pokemon which fill the same niche in different areas highly suggests that they have a common ancestor...besides Mew. Think of this hypothesized Pokemon as a missing link that bridges them with Mew...no doubt there are many other bridges, but I think you get the point.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021

I think the only rodent pokemon you can say that about are Bidoof and Patrat.

I think the others look very different from each other.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
The starting bird Pokemon like pidgey hoothoot taillow starly pidove
And zorua and fennekin

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I get what you're saying, and now that I've seen that opinion I do feel inclined to agree that the idea is good, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

It's not actually an opinion, it's an inferred fact. Also, I'm not telling you to like it, I'm simply stating my inferrence. While yes, Pokémon similarity might bother some people, I am not. I think of it equally as being bothered by the similarity of, let's say, a house rodent and a hamster.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
ok luvdisc and alomomola i initially thought were part of an evo line and i was shocked to find out that they weren't. also i like the deep ideas you guys are putting out there about the similar pokemon being like similar species in real life.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Plusle and Minun. Literally could've been a single pokemon; one being the male counterpart, and the other being female. Hate minun's stats, and hate plusle's color. So even though i wanna give them a chance, neither would make it enjoyable as I'd imagine.

Curtis542

Fire Trainer
Years
My thoughts on:
Magnemite vs. Klink: Now that I think about it, they are pretty similar. But they're different enough to be fine with me.

Sawk and Throh vs. Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee (and Hitmontop?): These I have a problem with. I could have done without Sawk and Throh being introduced; not only do they seem too similar to Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee, they're too humanoid to me.

Pidgey vs. Starly vs. Pidove vs. Fletchling: Admittedly, they are all pretty similar, but I'm fine with it. They're all based on different kinds of birds (though I'm not sure what Pidgey is; it seems to be a sparrow or something, but its name suggests it's a pigeon), so it's alright with me.

Ratatta vs. Sentret vs. Zigzagoon vs. Bidoof: I don't even see many similarities with these, aside from their place in the game.

Corphish vs. Krabby: Corphish is a crawdad, Krabby is a crab. They're pretty different.

Luvdisc vs. Alomomola: I'm not entirely sure why they didn't make Alomomola an evolution of Luvdisc. Would it be possible for them to make this happen in the next game?

But here's a couple that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Glameow vs. Purrloin: Evolutions aside, the only difference between these two is that Purrloin is just a darker version of Glameow.

Corphish vs. Clauncher (?): These two seem pretty similar to me, but I don't know much about Clauncher yet, so I'm not sure about this one.

Back