• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Rom-Hacking Illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ven~

twelvie lyfe
Years
meh the good thing is that i have all the roms i need
and i can't download roms now anyway cause my dad installed this weird thing that blocks me from extracting zipped folders

Glitter Stain

Banned
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 3, 2011
No matter whether you obtain the game or not, downloading ROMs is always illegal.
I'm pretty sure that that's not true. At least, if it is, it hasn't always been. I've always known it to be legal if you own the game.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2010
ROMs are not strictly enforced in China.
email Nintendo about all of them

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I'm pretty sure that that's not true. At least, if it is, it hasn't always been. I've always known it to be legal if you own the game.
It has always been illegal to download ROMs that aren't in the public domain. Always always always. If you own the original game, it's still illegal. If you delete the ROM after 24 hours, it's still illegal. That has never changed, and probably won't anytime soon either.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
wrong there are rules

*only download roms if you own the original
otherwise must be deleted within 24hours
*don't sell the rom
*dont give the rom to someone else
Those rules were made up by ROM site owners years ago trying to bring some "legitimacy" to their piracy. Downloading ROMs that aren't released under a free license is illegal, always. It's still illegal if you own the original. It's still illegal if you delete it within 24 hours. It's still illegal if you don't sell it. It's still illegal if you don't give it to somebody else. Downloading ROMs that aren't released under a free license is illegal, always.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
The matter of the topic seems to have been settled, so I'll lock this because it is now going to a ROM downloading topic instead of a ROM Hacking topic like it intentionally was.

*Locks*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back