• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald?

Which is your favorite?

• Total voters
Years
emerald is the best storywise and the battle fronteir is always fun, but its a lot harder to train postgame, since the sky pillar was nerfed, where otherwise, I preferred sapphire.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
Although I do agree that Emerald is a superior version in terms of aspects, I think Ruby is my favorite version out of the 3. I enjoy playing the most of Ruby, more than Sapphire and Emerald.

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
Years
Emerald for me. It looked better and you can catch both Groudon and Kyogre. That was also the first game I played with two evil teams in it. And the Battle Frontier was fun too ;D

MrBloodyKrieg

I'm on a highway to hell.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 30, 2022
Emerald, of course. Because you can get almost everything from the two other versions.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I prefer Emerald out of all three.
I think it's just better- though I had Sapphire first. ._.

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2013
Well I think it would be emerald because of all the editions but emerald was also easy to beat with wallace as the champ.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I would pick Emerald for the better plot, extra new old Pokemon to catch in the Safari Zone, and the Battle Frontier.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 13, 2021
Emerald, as you could obtain all three mascots (Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza), Battle Frontier, rematch Gym Leaders, neater outfit designs for the playable characters, both Team Aqua and Team Magma involvement, and rebattling Steven in Meteor Falls.

One thing I disliked is the removal of Pokemon Contests for Battle Tents. Only one remains in Lilycove City.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
It has all the stuff that R/S has and more! But I would agree with Skylands, however it does make it less of a hassle to travel all over for Contests. Basically Skylands summed up my opinion xD

Pothus

The Necromancer
Years
I've "played" all three, but only owned Sapphire and Emerald.

I must say I've enjoyed playing all three but Emerald just had more in it.

CrystalRose

Maiden
Years
Pokemon Ruby.

It was the first one I played, and I liked the fact that it lacked the avalanche of double battles from emerald.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Even though i played Ruby more i'd have to say Emerald because of a better story and added features.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Emerald for its awesome cut scenes, Battle Frontier and the ability to catch Kyrogre, Groundon and Rayquaza all in one game.

Years
Emerald for me as it's the only one I had haha but if I had to pick between the other two it'd probably be Sapphire as it's my birthstone haha plus I prefer Team Magma, so I'd want to take on Aqua in game lol :D

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
I like emerald best. It's got more content that either ruby or sapphire, what with the battle frontier and extra safari zone and such. I can't really see why people would prefer either ruby or sapphire over it.

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
I'm gonna go with the majority opinion here and say that my favourite of the trio was Pokemon Emerald. Emerald improved upon Ruby and Sapphire in every way and added some new features, too.

Back