• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the purpose in life?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
What is the purpose in life? Is it possible to find a purpose without religion? How do you find your purpose? Or is there no purpose in life? If there is no purpose in life, what do you do?

Years
I don't think there is an inherent purpose to life unless you count the general goal of every species: continuing the species. When it comes to our own individual purposes it's a little more complex, but you weren't put on this Earth with some fate-determined purpose. You find/make your own purpose for existing.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
What is the purpose in life? Is it possible to find a purpose without religion? How do you find your purpose? Or is there no purpose in life? If there is no purpose in life, what do you do?

this is a very loaded question and i'm quite inexperienced on this topic but, i'll try my best. the purpose in life for everyone i think, is to keep life going. to keep the earth spinning. i do think it's possible to find a purpose without religion, i have a lot of friends who are not religious who have found the purpose in life, or their individual purposes at least. i think that we find our purposes by taking our own journeys that God gives us. He put us on this earth with a purpose to life, our own individual purposes that he gives us. he gives us journeys to take and go through to find it. all the hardships we go through, he is trying to guide us on to the right path of our journey and teach us life lessons that will stick with us and that we will remember for a long time. i do think there's a purpose in life, despite what i tell myself when i am really down.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years

this is a very loaded question and i'm quite inexperienced on this topic but, i'll try my best. the purpose in life for everyone i think, is to keep life going. to keep the earth spinning. i do think it's possible to find a purpose without religion, i have a lot of friends who are not religious who have found the purpose in life, or their individual purposes at least. i think that we find our purposes by taking our own journeys that God gives us. He put us on this earth with a purpose to life, our own individual purposes that he gives us. he gives us journeys to take and go through to find it. all the hardships we go through, he is trying to guide us on to the right path of our journey and teach us life lessons that will stick with us and that we will remember for a long time. i do think there's a purpose in life, despite what i tell myself when i am really down.

Except Earth will "spin" whether or not we consciously strive to "keep life going." Mother Nature is indifferent to both humanity's desires and needs. It is a stroke of luck that she can provide as much as she does, so to think that humans reproducing (which is... hardly a choice, actually, considering the lack of ability to resist carnal urges that humans have exhibited) will "keep Earth spinning" is a bit whimsical.

That aside, I am curious what you think about God setting people about a certain path to teach life lessons, morals, and whathaveyou. What are you claiming is the actual purpose of those things? I assume that you are Christian, so I am sure that you have a lot of preconceived opinions on this particular topic, but your message is rather broad and I'm interested in understanding what people think more thoroughly.

Gabri

m8
Years
To discover and gather as much knowledge as possible about the reality we live in, and through that knowledge ensure the perpetual existence of life, intelligent life in particular.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 29, 2017
There is no meaning to life. Our life is merely an individual in a collective, in which we impose governance upon ourselves with either the social contract that will corrupt itself or blatant tyranny. Man is born free but bound by his brothers; he ultimately lives to strive for what he wants to do but is subsequently held back. There is no "afterlife", nor is there any consolations for earthly life; only pitch-black darkness and the false promise of eternal life beyond the grave.

Species come and go, and unlike other species, we will be the author of our own destruction. No matter how many millions of years go by, nor the propagation our species, nor the future will help us be free from this predestined fate In the grand scheme of things, humanity's life serves no purpose and will never serve a purpose.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I think we went past the point of living for reproduction when we decided that having rational thoughts was the way to go. Rational thoughts create imagination and imagination is the path that ultimately breaks through the limits of what one is capable of.

If you think about something, can you make it reality? The only way to get an answer is to try. If you think that there's no purpose, then you're better off staying with the rest, while the others all move forward.

Also, don't confuse purpose and destiny, they're two different things: destiny carries you while purpose gives you the tools that you need in order to succeed, but not the skill to do so.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
we have no purpose and that's perfectly fine. we ascribe ourselves far too much meaning and importance in relation to the world, the universe, and letting go of such notions is healthy and improves you. that being said, if we were to have a purpose, i'd like to think that it is the simple idea of rising above base instinct and living in a way not entirely governed by inherent biological desires. using our gift for higher thought for the better, essentially.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Survival. Our purpose is survival. That is true of any creature.

Back