• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Anime Contract Challenge 2018: Sign up for round 6!

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
im roughly a quarter of the way through my show and am having some serious feelings of deja vu about it. I feel as if i've seen it before but its been so long ago that I can't properly recall what happens. ive got the next two days off so im planning to get at least the the three quarters mark and then write up a short review of it.

Years
Spoiler:

This is the last day guys. Remember you don't need to have finished your series to share your thoughts on it.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Okiedokie, so, Higurashi.

A few notes about how I watched it, and I didn't disclose this about One Outs or Minami-ke either but I feel the...desire to do so now. I watched all of these shows at higher speeds than was originally intended, 1.12 in One Out's case, 1.25ish for Minami-ke, and 1.5 in Higurashi's. Before I'd done the contract challenge I never would have done something like this as, to me, being able to enjoy an anime is largely a result of the atmosphere and setting. I couldn't immerse myself in an anime if I was watching on my phone in a train, nor would I really be interested in watching a pivotal episode of a show in a brightly lit room with a bunch of people around chatting and like...hell, I can get annoyed at the small red/green light that emits from the TV that tells me whether the display is on or not if the room's dark enough.

The same extends to anime, and watching anime either out of obligation or at some higher speed, I always assumed, would kill the experience for me. It could've been because the first anime I got was One Outs, but holy hell was I wrong. It was pretty much a setup for disaster, being a sports anime that I had little interest in watching which I was watching out of obligation. I got the crazy idea in my head that if I sped it up a little, I'd feel motivated to watch it, especially since the episode count was also pretty daunting to me and more than anything, the beginning would be the hardest part to penetrate. But both because x1.12 is so modest and because of the general pacing of the show, I was not only able to get into it easier, but I also had a blast with it, absolutely loved that show.

There was no particular reason for the increase in speed being bigger between series since I really just picked what I felt was comfortable with the series in question, and in the case of Higurashi that was x1.5 (though as a result I watched the dub with wasn't the original intention since it's pretty subpar but fitting for the standards at the time, given it wasn't Funimation or anyone like that). Though I will say, in the case of this particular anime, since some things are meant to happen suddenly to surprise the characters in context, because of the speed at which they'd happen they would tend to surprise me too. Talk about unintentional jump scares.

So, to what I thought about the show itself: I liked it. Granted, I did find it immediately ironic that DDLC's intro was specifically, almost to a T, parodying the intro to Higurashi(...'s VN, I would assume) considering the games in question, but digressions digressions. I'd known about the show for quite some time and avoided it pretty intentionally outside of listening to Naraku no Hana and Kai's ending, so the edge didn't really surprise me but it also didn't really take away from the experience all that much either. Throw an anime my way: Death Parade, Another, Mirai Nikki, Deadman Wonderland and pretty much all of their heavyhanded melodrama (of blood and angst, though DP's a different case of edge and wises up as it goes forward) will be a fair bit of a turn-off. In the case of Higurashi, though, I didn't mind it...and probably only because I was prepared for it.

I'd imagine if I watched this show back when I first heard about it I would have maybe gotten to the end of the first chapter and written the show off pretty hard, but now I just kind of chew that shit like popcorn and let it be what it is. In general, I'm not really into killing, death, and gore for the sake of rousing the audience, it just isn't my thing. Higurashi is only ever as gruesome as it is for that reason, but the deaths themselves are wholly narrative driven and, so far, have only helped to develop said narrative, and that's when I like the usage of death most so in that regard it gets a thumbs up from me. Double points because there was one particular scene where the death of two characters is speculated and later confirmed, but at no point do they feel the need to expound upon, dramatize, or in any way show their deaths or the bodies. There was no reason to, and that's an immediate check in my book.

As for the actual story itself, my favorite game and visual novel is Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, so that should kind of give an impression as far as how I feel about this kind of story (which isn't exactly the same but there are some strong similarities). Aaaaand that's all I'm gonna say about that. It's doing a good job at not revealing what's going on and dropping hints without really calling a lot of attention to said hints, and I like that, that's a pretty exciting concept to me. That said, I'll keep my thoughts on that mostly to myself until I finish it.

As for the animation and art...oh boy. Ohohoh boy. Look, I understand that back when it was first released, the VN looked like this:
Spoiler:

I get that. Really. Here's my problem though
Spoiler:

See my problem? It's more concern than anything. Concern that one of these days Nickelodeon's just going to realize they're low on money and sue the pants off of Studio Deen for copying their design for Jimmy Neutron without crediting them.

...Actually now that I say it out loud it being Studio Deen does explain a fair bit. Also, folks, please, if you ever feel like your overweight, actually confirm this before dieting. This:
Spoiler:

Isn't healthy. And really, a lot of the characters' proportions in this show are distressing. Especially since, oddly enough, in the VN the characters are moderately sized compared to the sticks that are their anime designs. This isn't a problem, really, but it can be pretty hilarious, especially on particularly low-detail scenes. The overall fidelity of the show is fantastic, though, and whoever released it at this resolution did a bang-up job in that regard.

Also the characters are pretty generic but I feel as if the story carries them to the point that I don't mind it all that much and can invest in them well enough, which is rare.

But yeah, rambling is as it is, but enjoying it and I'm looking forward to continuing it later.

GanguEevee

~Calamity Trigger~
Years
First off, I'M SO SORRY FOR NOT REPLYING SOONER OR LATER. I've been watching other anime (Mostly Pop Team Epic and Fate/Stay Night) and been doing other things like school or sleeping. Plus I bought my Nintendo Switch a few weeks ago, so there's that. Anyways, yesterday I decided that I would finally give Girlish Number the watching it deserved, by watching at least 5 episodes of it. Today...I barely did just that. I watched 4.

Because holy fucking shit, I don't think I'm ready to handle the main character's bullshit for the 5th time. You know those YouTubers? Those YouTubers who don't have that many subs who always seem to be egotistical and believe that they'll be popular in a few months or so? Yeah, that's basically Chitose Karasuma in a nutshell to me. I'm goddamn hoping that the next few episodes actually make her a bit better or, at the very least...a bit more tolerable. Cause I swear, even when the episode makes me believe that she's actually developing as a character, they'll immediately just prove me wrong by making her think/say/do something that makes me want to kill her in some way, shape or form.

As for the other characters...well, I think I hate Chitose's brother(Gojo) almost about as much as her, cause he shares a bunch of the same things I hate her for, but at least he's actually manageable. Yae and Koto are okay, I guess, while Momoka has some moments where I'm like 'Ugh,' but she's fine. And of course, almost as always, my favorite character out of main cast is the token quiet and mature girl, Kazuha Shibasaki. I always seem to like the quiet ones, cause they're pretty cute and seem to have the most development by the end of it all. So, I sorta have high hopes for her.

As for the anime in general...well, the animation is pretty good. The concept of an anime focusing on voice acting and the inner workings of how an anime is made is pretty cool, too. I actually chuckled at the fact that the anime they're voice acting together is based on a fantasy harem light novel and they're only making said anime because light novels are popular, which is just so true.

...And that's all I can think of in terms of actual opinions. I'm probably gonna keep watching more of this, but only in the hopes that Chitose actually develops as a character.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
but only in the hopes that Chitose actually develops as a character.
She does, the brat angle's intentional, really, and if you found her insufferable then the show's doing it's job.

It doesn't go out of its way to make her wholly unlikable, of course, but at least at this point in the series she's meant to essentially not be the type of character you'd want to cheer for.

purplecicada

Distortion Wyrm
Years
The anime I received was "Onegai Teacher". I was given a short list to choose from Alvey, and I chose this one. I'm pretty glad I did. It was a short anime, consisting of 12 episodes and an OVA. I went into it thinking I'd only get through a couple of episodes at a time… Boy, was I wrong. I finished the entire anime in about 5 hours. So, for a lack of words it was probably better than what I was anticipating. The only thing I shall be talking about is the actual show, as I wasn't actually required to watch the OVA (but I did it anyway).

Sorry for posting this now I... overslept. I originally wrote this after I'd finished watching it, so some things might not make sense due to a lack of sleep lmao.

Spoiler:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I'm still at the same point where I was in the check-in. I haven't really had the time or energy to watch any more episodes at this point since the only easily accessible format is through the torrent on my pc and I've only gotten on my computer for a few minutes a day this past week or so. I've also been watching Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans just about every day (about an episode or two each time) since I can get it on hulu with pretty much any of my devices.

However, there is a little bit that I'd like to say about what I did watch of His and Her Circumstances.

First off, the music is great. The animation is pretty good for the time it was made and like I said in a post earlier on, I have a few faint memories of having seen the anime before but it was years and years ago. But there have been certain points in the show where I can go 'oh yeah!' and start to get really excited thinking about what's about to happen.

The premise of the show so far seems pretty simple, but I feel like the romance was rushed a little bit too much in the beginning. It's already 26 episodes, so I feel like they could have put one or two more in to build up better but this is likely how the manga began as well so I'll just put it aside. That being said, I have been enjoying the episodes that I've watched and I actually started watching an episode tonight to get a refresher. I'll probably post here again in a couple of weeks to summarize my thoughts when it's all over.

Years
I was going to do another fancy post, but screw it. Sorry this is late!

Round 2 time. Anyone is free to join, whether you're from the first group or a fresh face.

Spoiler:

Years
Back