• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hackerofdarkness

I have return
Years
for the first map, there are tile errors on the water, you cant use the water tiles like that, there cant be regular water and then water that is running faster, so you might need to fix that, also add a few more rocks on the paths so it looks more like a cave. my rating is a 5/10

map name: none
rom base:fire red
comments: i used the big tree on the outside of the map because it doesn't fit on the border block.
Map: is on attachment.

Hum this is quite a truly a interesting map I like it very well except that the tree that looks like it's from kyle old tileset looks transparent for example the one with the short little tree the the one from kyle's set it looks like it hidden or not even there at all neither less you done a outstanding job on the map
Rating:8.9 I'm not to found of gigantic trees well because they're huge and look pretty hard to fit

Now it's my turn
Map Name: Nubeta Forest
Hack of: Pokemon Firered
Rom Base: Firered
Comment: It took me awhile to map this,but it semi complete in mapping yes but either way I find my map a good grove type map.
Spoiler:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Hu

Now it's my turn
Map Name: Nubeta Forest
Hack of: Pokemon Firered
Rom Base: Firered
Comment: It took me awhile to map this,but it semi complete in mapping yes but either way I find my map a good grove type map.
Spoiler:

I wask keeping myself to rate, cause i have no map, but this needs to be done :D
Ok besides some needed tile changes.
The mountains, its full of tile errors
1) The mountains arnt connected, which is.. wrong. i mean you can have the mountain stretch off the map, but dont keep it like this
2)the top right, you see the 'top' edge tile, its repeated, dosent look right.

The bottom path, is way to large, bland?

5/10 for some other reasons

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years

hmm.., you edit the map? why don't you just map it from scatch, i can still see the original look abit..xD
anyway let's get to the rating,
Almost everything look squarish, even both the pon is squarish even though there are the same as the original one, i can't say much since you did not really edit it much for me to rate except that the mountain leading to the cave is too blant for me, it is just too empty from the path at the start to the cave, and if i my eyes is not playing tricks on me, there is tile error for the small errors for the background of the small rocks is not for the mountain or maybe it is just my eyes.Since it is 1 am now
Rating: 2/10
Here is my map,

Map Name: Bliss Canyon
Hack of: Pokemon Dimension Legends: Alternate Worlds
ROM Base: Fire Red
Comments: It is the Canyon you reach after the short rest at the small 2nd town in my hack which is the path to the third town and also a cave to other towns. As you can see many empty spaces around the map, since i map this for my hack i only map the areas which can be seen in-game and it is a hassle to map the rest..lol
Spoiler:

Okay, I'm going to have to give this another 10/10.
The shape is fabulous, the tiles are pretty, and though this is very natural, there is still quite a bit of playability. :3

I especially like the pond-thingy in the middle. :3
Carry on like this, and I'll convert to a natural mapper.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Spoiler:

you should spoiiler it too

Comments? Questions?
first off its a big map , but this don't matter just that it's very empty and you have some tile error like down right by the house that path that leads to the door and some other errors over rate 6/10 but try to make it more natural like flowers some more houses or make the map littler with those houses that are in this map it can be called few houses.
map game: fire red
comments its the second map that i tried to make myself:D
mapshot:
Spoiler:

marcc5m

what
Years
Spoiler:

Comments? Questions?

Ok, first of, it is really big. So big it's almost coming out of my Laptop. Bigger than a giant. The only thing I know that's bigger is too inappropriate to mention here. Please spoiler gigantic maps. Also, you have made the map(s?) bigger than it (they?) need to be. So much space, and hardly any of it used. And such a big space needs more than two flowers :\ The paths are extremely straight and boring looking, it's just a big straight path, which eventually becomes way too thin. Improper use of Secret Base Trees = -1 point. Beach is far too small for a beach too, and the trees are all packed together in one giant square behind a house. The Water is very bland and dull, add some rocks around the outside of it, or some mountains, otherwise the player could Surf and end up swimming into the border blocks. Speaking of which, this is gonna have a LOT of border errors. The trees should go around the map to prevent that, or at lease something like mountains to prevent the player from seeing the border. Why are the green forest things used as shadows? It just doesn't look good, and, well, isn't really needed. Also, I may be wrong here, but aren't the house doors windows? Look at some tutorials, or some of the other maps posted here, and you'll improve, everyone has to start from somewhere so don't worry.

------------------------------------------------------------

Map Name: Route A
Map Game: Wouldn't you like to know.
Credits: http://altariaking.deviantart.com/journal/39772944/
Comments: First Route of my new yet old hack. On this route, you battle your Rival, catch Pokemon, headbutt trees, read signs, jump off ledges, talk to cool people, and...well that's about it.
Map:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
Map Name: Route A
Map Game: Wouldn't you like to know.
Credits: http://altariaking.deviantart.com/journal/39772944/
Comments: First Route of my new yet old hack. On this route, you battle your Rival, catch Pokemon, headbutt trees, read signs, jump off ledges, talk to cool people, and...well that's about it.
Map:
Spoiler:

Start of by saying nice tile set, although i am not sure about the flowers..? but now onto the map what you have done looks great the user is forced through grass and there is a easy route back with no wild battles, and it has a nice natural feel to it. However my main concern is that it's not big enough you say there is a lot of people in this map which could make it look all a bit squashed also the player is only really forced through about 10 grass tiles so your encounter rate would need to be massive (about 65) if you were to double the size of this map and carry on the way you started it would be near perfect ~ Well Done!
Rating:
tile errors (10=none, 0=loads).10/10
tile set (where applicable)......8.5/10
creativity............................7.5/10
detail................................. 9/10
planning..............................6.5/10

Total..................................41.5/50.......83%

On to my map then,
Route 25, road to bills house
Base: fire red
Hack: Pokemon Rumble Rock
now this thing is really giving me problems what ever i do to it, it just does not look at all right, the first time it looked to similar to the old route the second time it just looked weird, now i think its a combination of the two ) :

Attachments

• Route 25 jpg.jpg
    Route 25 jpg.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 112

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
Start of by saying nice tile set, although i am not sure about the flowers..? but now onto the map what you have done looks great the user is forced through grass and there is a easy route back with no wild battles, and it has a nice natural feel to it. However my main concern is that it's not big enough you say there is a lot of people in this map which could make it look all a bit squashed also the player is only really forced through about 10 grass tiles so your encounter rate would need to be massive (about 65) if you were to double the size of this map and carry on the way you started it would be near perfect ~ Well Done!
Rating:

On to my map then,
now this thing is really giving me problems what ever i do to it, it just does not look at all right, the first time it looked to similar to the old route the second time it just looked weird, now i think its a combination of the two ) :
It does look like the old route, it is better if you map on a new map instead of editing and that will make it look different.
For this one it is almost similar to your previous map so i have nothing much too add only that the house you put on right side which you tried to make it that it is different then the old route is looking bad for me, like a house at random places..lol..
rating 2/10

Gemini Pika

Sprite Master
Years
Rating:

On to my map then,

Not only does it seem similar to the old route, it looks like an extra area slapped onto the old map. I would suggest that you might want to instead make an entirely new version of that route. But if you're going to build up on this one, you might want to add more shape into the right side of the mountain with the hikers on it, as it appears awkward. Also the island with the house on it seems to square so you might want to add some shape too. Also a small thing is that small cliff by the pond seems a bit misplaced, maybe you could move it over two squares to the left and up one square. 4/10

Map Name: Route 501
Hack Name: Still don't know =P
ROM Base: Pokemon Gold
Comments: This is the first route in my hack. It has two paths, the walkway has trainers on it (2 Max) which have tough pokemon (Lv.5), and the other path is through the tall grass. Also the brick area is the Enata Ocean Lookout, where people gather and another trainer can be fought.

Edit: I forgot to mention the gate houses are a temporary fix for map connections.

Spoiler:

Years
Not only does it seem similar to the old route, it looks like an extra area slapped onto the old map. I would suggest that you might want to instead make an entirely new version of that route. But if you're going to build up on this one, you might want to add more shape into the right side of the mountain with the hikers on it, as it appears awkward. Also the island with the house on it seems to square so you might want to add some shape too. Also a small thing is that small cliff by the pond seems a bit misplaced, maybe you could move it over two squares to the left and up one square. 4/10

Map Name: Route 501
Hack Name: Still don't know =P
ROM Base: Pokemon Gold
Comments: This is the first route in my hack. It has two paths, the walkway has trainers on it (2 Max) which have tough pokemon (Lv.5), and the other path is through the tall grass. Also the brick area is the Enata Ocean Lookout, where people gather and another trainer can be fought.

Edit: I forgot to mention the gate houses are a temporary fix for map connections.

Spoiler:

I actually like this, maybe it's just been awhile since I've played Gold though ;P I see some minor tile errors on the brown stones in the water and the corners of the mountain, like I said nothing too big there.. On to the trees and grass, it all looks a bit too square, and some of the edges of the treeline are sharp. If you work to make the nature flow a bit more, I think you'd have yourself a decent route. 4.75/10

My map:

Map Name: Second Town ;P
Hack Name: Pokemon: Rumble Rock
ROM Base: FireRed
Comments: This is a version of Viridian (or the second town), in my opinion, it is far better than my last attempt lol. Please share your thoughts.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
Map Name: Second Town ;P
Hack Name: Pokemon: Rumble Rock
Comments: This is a version of Viridian (or the second town), in my opinion, it is far better than my last attempt lol. Please share your thoughts.
Rating: 8/10
Reason: While there's nothing actually wrong with the map, I find its extreme 'leftness' of the town a little off-putting.
Suggestions: Centralise the town a bit more in relation to the paths.

Now for mine.
Map Name(s): Littleroot Town, Littleroot Garden, Oldale Town, Petalburg Woods
ROM Base: Emerald
Comments:
Littleroot Town: Always having the local professor's lab in the town you started in annoyed me somewhat, so I decided to do something about it. The house that replaced the lab belongs to a retired safari manager Mr. White, who didn't quite want to give up the game.
Littleroot Garden: Mr. White's garden south of Littleroot Town. Normally blocked off by those cutable bushes. It contains a couple of species found nowhere else on Hoenn.
Oldale Town: With the professor's lab having moved from Littleroot I had to stick it somewhere nearby.
Petalburg Woods: My old map still felt too 'square' so I decided to try to make the tree placement even more natural-looking.

E.C.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
Rating: 8/10
Reason: While there's nothing actually wrong with the map, I find its extreme 'leftness' of the town a little off-putting.
Suggestions: Centralise the town a bit more in relation to the paths.

Now for mine.
Comments:
Littleroot Town: Always having the local professor's lab in the town you started in annoyed me somewhat, so I decided to do something about it. The house that replaced the lab belongs to a retired safari manager Mr. White, who didn't quite want to give up the game.
Littleroot Garden: Mr. White's garden south of Littleroot Town. Normally blocked off by those cutable bushes. It contains a couple of species found nowhere else on Hoenn.
Oldale Town: With the professor's lab having moved from Littleroot I had to stick it somewhere nearby.
Petalburg Woods: My old map still felt too 'square' so I decided to try to make the tree placement even more natural-looking.

the first map looks okay for the first town, but can you exit through the left and right of the map? since you didn;t put trees i assume that you can leave through the left and right, and if you cant well you will just walk up to the border block,which is okay since the border block are trees,
the second map looks good for a garden,that all i can say about that.
the third map looks okay i guess,nothing special going on.
and for the fourth map, that is actually your best map that you have posted and i like it way more than the other maps, i like the water that flows to the left of the map it looks awesome, so my rating total would have to be 9/10

Rom base: pokemon blue
comments: i rarely ever do gb maps, since im not so good at them.
map: is on attachment

Last edited:

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
Now for mine.
Comments:

Start off on the first map, looks like a very basic town and i don't have a great knowledge of emerald but i don't think you have changed anything other than removed the border so i don't really know how to rate it.
2/10

2nd map considering its just a very large garden and not really a route i cant really knock it apart from saying it's a bit large and if the proff is not in the first town be careful you cant access it before you get your first poke.
9/10

3rd map ~ again not a lot changed but the addition of the proffs house and there is not a lot wrong there so again there is not enough changed here to really warrant a rating...
2/10

4th map ~ it was me that reviewed this map last time you posted it and unfortunately you have not taken on my comments very well, my main problem with this map was that it was far to big, and it still is ~ there a big long paths everywhere with nothing on them. So make the map smaller and get rod of them or just put something on them..!
5/10

Now onto my map:
This is route 3 from fire red
I think it looks pretty good... (=, But I doubt you will )=

Attachments

• route 3.jpg
    route 3.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 88
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2012
hmm.., you edit the map? why don't you just map it from scatch, i can still see the original look abit..xD
anyway let's get to the rating,
Almost everything look squarish, even both the pon is squarish even though there are the same as the original one, i can't say much since you did not really edit it much for me to rate except that the mountain leading to the cave is too blant for me, it is just too empty from the path at the start to the cave, and if i my eyes is not playing tricks on me, there is tile error for the small errors for the background of the small rocks is not for the mountain or maybe it is just my eyes.Since it is 1 am now
Rating: 2/10
Here is my map,

Map Name: Bliss Canyon
Hack of: Pokemon Dimension Legends: Alternate Worlds
ROM Base: Fire Red
Comments: It is the Canyon you reach after the short rest at the small 2nd town in my hack which is the path to the third town and also a cave to other towns. As you can see many empty spaces around the map, since i map this for my hack i only map the areas which can be seen in-game and it is a hassle to map the rest..lol
Spoiler:

10/10 superb tiles and palletes but there is an error in the mountain in the bottom left corner right about the trees at the very bootom left :)

MY TURN lol

Map Name: Sommorite City
Map Game: Fire Red
Credits: Kyldove
Comments:City with the first badge. In this city you battle your second rival, trade a pokemon for another pokemon (not giving out spoilers), meet steven stone and the mysiterious gym leader. Things i need to add are the steel black fences, lamp posts, and flowers and such. The errors i know of are on the top tile of the stairs facing left and right dont have color underneath a part of it
Map:

Attachments

• SOMMORITE CITY.jpg
    SOMMORITE CITY.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 106

Gemini Pika

Sprite Master
Years
10/10 superb tiles and palletes but there is an error in the mountain in the bottom left corner right about the trees at the very bootom left :)

MY TURN lol

Map Name: Sommorite City
Map Game: Fire Red
Credits: Kyldove
Comments:City with the first badge. In this city you battle your second rival, trade a pokemon for another pokemon (not giving out spoilers), meet steven stone and the mysiterious gym leader. Things i need to add are the steel black fences, lamp posts, and flowers and such. The errors i know of are on the top tile of the stairs facing left and right dont have color underneath a part of it
Map:

The map is quite good, the layout is nice and the placement of the buildings seem perfect. The only that seems off is that grass color seems off but that's more personel preference. Overall I give your map a 8/10. Good job!

Map Name: Helita Town
Hack Name: None
ROM Base: Gold
Comments: This is the second town in my nameless hack. It has two location of interest, a magnet train station which is apart of the Omnita Rail Line and the TM Smith who hands out 3 TMs to choose from. To the south of Helita Town is Route 501 and to the left Mt.Junite.

@PoisoNinja: The corners of the mountains are apart of the tileset, the only other one is with grass edges which would make it look really awkward on the second level of the mountain. Same with the rock edges, except they remain the same no matter what tileset is used. But I may try to see if I can fix it, but thanks for the rating. ^^

Spoiler:

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
Years
My next map, a possible contender for starter town in my new hack (though it could easily be repurposed) is quite unique, I hope.

Made on Ruby with default tiles.
Spoiler:

I've been skipped...
I was looking forward to hearing some suggestions because I haven't seen one using the bike road tiles before :)

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
I've been skipped...
I was looking forward to hearing some suggestions because I haven't seen one using the bike road tiles before :)

Please post a review even if you have been skipped, it will stop people getting skipped...

But ill have a look at your map anyway i was going to review this the first time because i liked the idea of using the cycling road tile set... and i think you have a good job with it, i don't see any tile errors as such but the garden next to the mart looks a bit odd. i guess you have left the events on there for a reason so i may as well say you are missing a warp from the mart and cave, also you need to put sign events on all the signs...
Oo and one last thing i don't think it is possible to reach the cave because the way the rocks block off the water path (don't know if that's intentional) also there is no path to the beack or the trees at the side...
Overall its a gerat idea though..! keep up the good work

tile errors (10=none, 0=loads)..9/10
tile set (where applicable)........N/A
creativity.............................9/10
detail................................. .7/10
planning...............................3/10

Total..................................28/40.......70%

Mind if i bump my map well I am at it?
Route 3 from fire, decent map but may as well run it past you lot well I am here

Attachments

• route 3.jpg
    route 3.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 58

E.C.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
Please post a review even if you have been skipped, it will stop people getting skipped...

But ill have a look at your map anyway i was going to review this the first time because i liked the idea of using the cycling road tile set... and i think you have a good job with it, i don't see any tile errors as such but the garden next to the mart looks a bit odd. i guess you have left the events on there for a reason so i may as well say you are missing a warp from the mart and cave, also you need to put sign events on all the signs...
Oo and one last thing i don't think it is possible to reach the cave because the way the rocks block off the water path (don't know if that's intentional) also there is no path to the beack or the trees at the side...

Route 3 from fire, decent map but may as well run it past you lot well I am here

this map is way better than your old maps, you have improved since then, everything looks good, but you forgot to add flowers to the map, and the part with the stairs, the mountain can't go out like that, it doesn't look good, i give this map a 8/10

i posted a map above and it seems that they are always skipping me, so im going to repost it.

rom base: blue
comments: one of the very few gb maps I've made.

Last edited:
Years

this map is way better than your old maps, you have improved since then, everything looks good, but you forgot to add flowers to the map, and the part with the stairs, the mountain can't go out like that, it doesn't look good, i give this map a 8/10

i posted a map above and it seems that they are always skipping me, so im going to repost it.

rom base: blue
comments: one of the very few gb maps I've made.

I actually like this one.. I only see a few small tile errors, on two of the mountain corners and the house. And you could always add a bit more detail to the maps.. It's simple, but it works. 6.5/10

My Map
Map name: Second Town (edited a small bit..)
Comments: I've edited this somewhat from my last submission, just what see how people feel about it..

E.C.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
I've been skipped...

yes, i know what it feels like to have been skipped :P, anyways, your map looks nice, and i haven't seen another map use the bike road tiles either, so this map is pretty interesting, everything seems nice but you could have added a few more trees at the bottom of the map, and if the player uses surf at the sand part, he can leave the map to the border blocks, so that isn't good, try to add rocks on water so the player can't go there, but besides all that i like the map and i wish i could play it, 8/10

map name: route 13
rombase: firered
comments: i made a not so good version of this map when i was still kinda new at mapping, but i remapped it, and i want to know what other people think about it,
stuff about the map: it is an area that constantly rains.
map: is on attachment.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2012

i like the route itself but there are two things one i will mark you down for another i wont

the first one is the tile error in the landscape of the mountain the other is i think you should find a tile to connect the to ledge tiles both are circled 9/10

Attachments

• route%203.jpg
    route%203.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 51
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back