• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What did you name your character and rival in Pokemon Yellow?

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
I always named myself Byakuya, and named my rival either Sosuke, Aizen, Mayuri, Kaname or Kisuke.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
A young me called myself Ash and my rivial the F word.

Cid

Years
Man I can't really remember the details the first time I played it! Which is odd, because it's supposed to be memorable for being my first played game of the series.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Patrick for the player character and Gary for the rival. The first one would be the obvious choice unless I was feeling anime-y (in that case, it would be Ash), but Gary I think is most likely what I named my rival. I was a fan of the anime back then so I think that must have reflected to my rival's name. It's possible I actually named my rival after a childhood friend, though. :P

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I would always name my character either "Lati" or my full name which is Latifah and I did not care if I was a male at the time and as for my rival, I would give him bad names such as the "F" word the "S" word.....you get the point and this was because I was very immature at the time

:t354:TG

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
I named myself Red and my rival...oh...the first time I played the game I called him ''ass''...then when I was starting my adventure I found boring so I changed it to Blush. I don't know why...then when I completed the game I restarted it and named him Green.

Last edited:
Years
My character: I usually use a variation of my real name, a nickname, or a username that I use.

Rival: It always and forever will be something inappropriate. xD It fun seeing Professor Oak refer to my rival/his grandson as a vulgar word or phrase. :3

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
The game yellow somehow gave me a craving for cheese, so I called the protagonist, Cheese! The Rival was Omelets, I think I was really hungry when I start playing. Cx

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I named my protag "Heroman" because he was the heroman, and my rival's name was ??? because it's what he said his name was and I was in no position to argue with him.

KosmoF

Diehard Pokemon Fanatic
Years
I got Yellow when it was released and gave the protagonist my name, and the rival the name of the primary antagonist of a play series I occasionally write.

YELLOW: Sarah
BLUE: Damien

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
I always name myself Justin in every game and my rival Marshall (Based of my childhood rival) in all of the Kanto games.

Years
  • Seen May 12, 2013
It was either Ash and Gary (I think it was), or I was DAVID!! because I liked filling all of the characters possible and my rival would have been one of my friends at the time. Probably Eli.

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I actually had the Japanese version of Pokemon Yellow six months before the English version came out. (Hooray for Japanese cousins and knowing Japanese!)

I in fact played 1st and 2nd gen all on japanese cartridges. Anyway I named myself "Akasata" which is the first four "A" sounds of the japanese alphabet. My rival, "Okosoto" is the first four "O" sounds of the japanese alphabet.

Back