• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen E4 Champion Discussion

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2021
So was anyone else severely let down by the E4 champion? I had all these theories going through my head while playing through the game as to who the champion might be. Thought it might be the TF leader or maybe it would be a double battle with that dude and that girl who always seem to be late helping you beat team flare. Then when i ran into that girl in the pokemon center who said Gary was in Kalos my heart sank...if i walk into the room and Gary is standing their im gonna throw my DS at the wall with excitement.

When the moment finally came at first glance the room was awesome, with the pokeball stained glass floor to the sun shining through some med-evil curtains it was some beautiful eye candy....then i saw who the champion was....Diantha :| a movie star is the champion.... i miss when champions were complete badasses and you were actually intimidated by them. Like Lance... {D:} <<<< that was me when i first saw Dragonite

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
Years
I had a feeling it was going to be Diantha ever since she was first revealed in prerelease material. In retrospect, she makes for a pretty cool champion it shouldn't be who the player expects it to be. I think they'd have been better off not revealing her until the games were already out. My second guess for who the champion might be was Sycamore. That would have been a really interesting twist, but sadly it didn't come to light.

Crystalanachrony

ℱ a e r i e . ℚ u e e n
Years
I actually thought I had been spoiled and Sycamore was the Champion... I could have definitely appreciated that. Diantha was okay, I suppose, but she had almost no presence on the plot at all. I'm sure I would have liked her more if she actually did something, like Cynthia. (But then again, characters doing things in the X and Y plot is very rare...)

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2021
I had a feeling it was going to be Diantha ever since she was first revealed in prerelease material. In retrospect, she makes for a pretty cool champion it shouldn't be who the player expects it to be. I think they'd have been better off not revealing her until the games were already out. My second guess for who the champion might be was Sycamore. That would have been a really interesting twist, but sadly it didn't come to light.

Sycamore would of been a cool champion too. Especially since in the beginning he tells you he is not very tough lol. Idk Cynthia was such a badass female champion and Diantha is just kinda meh. I thought Wilkstrom (steel trainer) or Siebold (water trainer) would of been awesome champions. They fit more into the eastern European theme the game has going on.

Tititienne

Psychic
Years
I guessed she would be the champion when the second time I met her. She was the only character not involved into the main plot (I guessed Lysandre had something to do with Team Flare because of his orange clothes). As for the battle itself, well it was a bit disappointing, as was the whole Elite Four (I was over leveled because of that new Exp. Share, I think that's why).

I would have loved if they had brought back an old character: I had considered Colress and N as potential champions, or at least Elite Four members (like they did with Caitlin), and when an NPC mentionned Colress (I don't remember which one), I thought my hypothesis was plausible, even though Diantha was much more likely.

Edit: I once thought the player's mother could be the champion. It would have been funny yet really surprising.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2021
I guessed she would be the champion when the second time I met her. She was the only character not involved into the main plot (I guessed Lysandre had something to do with Team Flare because of his orange clothes). As for the battle itself, well it was a bit disappointing, as was the whole Elite Four (I was over leveled because of that new Exp. Share, I think that's why).

I would have loved if they had brought back an old character: I had considered Colress and N as potential champions, or at least Elite Four members (like they did with Caitlin), and when an NPC mentionned Colress (I don't remember which one), I thought my hypothesis was plausible.

Yes, the E4 was way to easy. There is no 2nd run through either like BW which makes them stronger.

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
Years
Yes, the E4 was way to easy. There is no 2nd run through either like BW which makes them stronger.

Because you can challenge them at Battle Chataue. The E4's pokemon with Black Writ Challenge will be at 75. While Diantha with Black Writ of Challenge will be at 80.

Factoring that, She would be the highest level champion we have to date, with all pokemon level 80 across the board.

Years
Factoring that, She would be the highest level champion we have to date, with all pokemon level 80 across the board.

Iris in BW2 Challenge Mode in the rematches, Level 81 + ace at 83.

Anyway, her design was neat and all, but her team wasn't very interesting. When I beat her in X, the only one of her team that even got to attack me was Hawlucha (though I did kill Gardevoir with a critical hit). In Y, she was still pretty easy except for Gardevoir, which admittedly I did have to work around a bit with what I had. They should have gave her more than one previous gen Pokémon, or something with more oomph to their attacks. Gourgeist isn't exactly Champion material.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I spoiled it for myself before I got there, yet I was a bit surprised by her lack of..presence? The air around her was not champion-esque. And if you happened to not spoil it, by the time you got to the champion, had you remembered that Diantha once said you'd battle, then you could've deduced it was her.

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
Years
I liked her.

Sure, Diantha had no presence in the plot, but it didn't take away from the experience for me. Yes, it's nice to have the Gym Leaders, Elite 4, and the Champion involved in the plotline, but I'm kind of glad that she wasn't. It felt more like the two things going on (Becoming the Champion and stopping Team Flare) were separate, and that really wasn't a bad thing to me.

I dunno, I found her interesting as a character and a nice change-of-pace as the Champion since it wasn't the expected result.

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
Years
Iris in BW2 Challenge Mode in the rematches, Level 81 + ace at 83.

Anyway, her design was neat and all, but her team wasn't very interesting. When I beat her in X, the only one of her team that even got to attack me was Hawlucha (though I did kill Gardevoir with a critical hit). In Y, she was still pretty easy except for Gardevoir, which admittedly I did have to work around a bit with what I had. They should have gave her more than one previous gen Pokémon, or something with more oomph to their attacks. Gourgeist isn't exactly Champion material.

Ah I forgot about Iris. Anyways I just battle Diantha in Battle Chateau with Black Writ of Challenge and that Mega Gardevoir can kill. Her Goodra/Mega Gardevoir gave me problem, her Goodra was able to tank my Hydreigon's Draco Meteor <.<

Her Mega Gardevoir shouldn't be overlook, if you can kill it fast and quick then good, but let her get an attack and it can kill your pokemon especially if it can't take any attacks. I did challenge her with my pokemons around 85-90 and them being in-game team means their ev spread are pretty messed up, which made her rematch in the Battle Chateau really challenging. Her Goodra can tank most sp.atk (didn't try fairy yet since I forgot to bring Slyveon/Mawile with me). While her Mega Gardevoir is surprisingly terrifying if you let it get off an attack.

The only disappointing is she only had 4 pokemon during the rematch.

Reactions: JP

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I was lucky enough to knock out her Gardevoir quickly...got a critical in with Blaziken's Brave Bird...she healed but it allowed my Delphox to hit with with a Flame Charge, then I used Fire Blast to finish it off.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
A while back when the rumor broke that Sycamore was going to be battling you a few times, I had thought that maybe he would be the Champion at the end. It would have been cool twist. Eventually, I saw Diantha and figured it'd be her. While she wasn't that imposing or impressing, I like her. I love having another cool female Champion, granted... there wasn't much of her in the game. You barely saw her, barely talked to her, barely knew anything about her. I understand it was meant as more of a surprise, but it was rather lacking. I hope they spend more time developing her in the next entry, cause she's definitely cool looking and the fact that she can use mega-stones too is great.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2015
I was kinda disappointed. I expected that each of the E4 had a Mega Evolution in their team (aren't they supposed to be se 4 strongest trainer right after the regional champion, after all?), since even the bad guy of the story and one of the rival have one.
Also they have all easily counterable pokèmon type and few pokèmon in their team. That was a little.. disappointing <.<

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2013
I hated how she was so irrelevant to everything. She didn't give the player any useful things, only appeared twice for a very short amount of time, had 0 presence, and, to top it all off, seemed completely oblivious to Team Flare. When I when to the Champion's room and saw someone in white clothes, I was 100% sure it was gonna be a double battle with Professor Sycamore's aides. I hope Z version changes the Champion. She was the worst

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I'm not surprised but I am disappointed.

Shauna is more intimidating than Diantha and that's saying something. I'd agree with others saying she lacks presence.

As for the battle itself, her first four pokemon were all one hit KOs. Her Goodra wasn't because it was quite bulky. Only mega gardevoir gave me a slight problem....but it was far from when I fought Steven and Cynthia a few weeks ago in my replay of Ruby and Platinum.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I wasn't let down. I pretty much expected her to be from our first (and only, I think?) encounter with her in the cafe. She had a Cynthia vibe to her, and she had such a unique character design, I expected her to be someone important. Though, I am a little confused how she managed to become a champion if Pokémon was just something she did on the side.

Back