• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Eelektross vs Klang

Which of these Chargestone Cave buddies is better?

• Eelektross

Votes: 28 96.6%
  • Klang

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Sirfetch’d

This week's poll features two of Chargestone Cave's greatest
604.png
6219A.png
600.png

Both of these Pokemon can become great members to your team with each having a great stat boosting move at their disposal. Klang gets a signature move in Shift Gear, while Eelektross has access to Coil. Eelektross can run a mixed attacking set, while Klang usually sicks to a physical set. Another thing that both of these Pokemon have in common is the great escaping move, Volt Switch.

When comparing the two, I want you to also base it on which you'd use competitively, which do you think has the better chance, which you used in-game, which you like the design-of best, and what strategies you think one could use to beat the other. Each week these polls will continue until all combinations and tiers are used up (each Pokemon compared will be from the same competitive tier). To find out more about tiers, and how you can get the most out of these Pokemon, check out Battle Center. So which do you choose? Don't forget to post in the thread when voting in the poll, either!​

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Damn. I love BOTH of them so much. ;A;
But hands down Eelektross. I always go with a mixed Eelektross, and I personally find it beast. It has a great Attack and Special Attack stat, with access to a pretty impressive movepool, and it's just all around tons of fun to use. The Speed (or lack there of) that is has is pretty disappointing, but it somewhat compensates it with a great counter attack.

Plus, Shiny Eelektross is just so cute!
604.gif

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Eelektross definitely, I don't like Klink's design at all, one of two worst in Unova by design (the other being Vanillite's evo line). In the games I used both, Klang fainted too fast (even if it was 2-3 levels higher than the opponent). Eelektross survived longer.

Years
Eelektross of course! While Klang has a neat signature move, it's Eelektross's massive TM movepool and type coverage that allows it to take down a lot of foes in its path and it also has Levitate, giving the big eel no weaknesses which is just amazing. Its Speed is lacking but its power makes up for it.

Sorry Klang, I'm siding with the eel on this one!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
It isn't even a fight. Eelektross, of course. Eelektross is better than even Klinklang, let alone Klang.

In-game, Eelektross is a bit difficult to take down because he has no weaknesses and isn't very weak defensively. Its movepool is also the best among the new Unova Electric-types.

Eelektross can be compared to Galvantula, and favorably. After using both (Eelektross in Black and Galvantula in Black 2), I found that Galvantula absolutely must have Compoundeyes and Thunder to do any sort of damage, because its attacking stats are mediocre. It also dies very easily to neutral attacks. Eelektross, on the other hand, is reasonably balanced (apart from Speed) and learns a variety of good moves that allow him pretty good coverage. It's slow, and mine was the absolutely slowest possible (Quiet nature with 0 IVs), but it was still very dependable.

Eelektross also compares favorably against Zebstrika. The zebra is faster, but has paper-thin defenses and all of its strong moves (Wild Charge, Thrash) are too risky to use on a consistent basis. It's a good early game Pokémon but, like Luxray in Platinum, it suffers from a lack of strong dependable moves late-game.

Note that competitive tiers don't necessarily apply for in-game. Heck, in-game Arcanine is king, with high stats and wide coverage, but competitively it's only UU. Klinklang is RU, while Eelektross is NU, but Klinklang, despite having access to Shift Gear, doesn't have a wide enough coverage to warrant usability, unlike Eelektross.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
eel would win because of flamethrower and drain punch on each of its sets, while klang can't do much back. eel easily. plus it's more fun to use n_n

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Eelektross for SURE. This electric eel got no weaknesses yo. It's like all chill, like, imma electric-type yet no ground-type move can hit me cuz I can levitate yo.

Really. Eelektross has access to Flamethrower. An electric-type with a fire-type move: now that's gotta rock. It has access to either Coil/Acid Spray depending on which moveset you're aiming for - Coil for Physical or Acid Spray for Special. Get hit by any of those moves followed by Wild Charge/Thunderbolt and the opposing Pokemon'll go down fo' sure.

I've used Eelektross in all my teams and it has never failed me. Sorry Klang, but the electric eel wins my vote.

Excuse the writing style; I'm sleepy at the time of writing this so I'm feeling a little loopy lolol.

Years
Eelektross is one of the coolest Unova Pokemon, so I'd pick it in a heartbeat. Klang is just kind of, boring and dull. A poor man's Magnemite.

Sirfetch’d

Both of these Pokemon were two of my favorite from Unova, but overall Eelektross is so much better and able to run a mixed set just makes it on of the better NU Pokemon available.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
Never Had a chance to get an Elektross in any Unova game and Klang is just an Magenton of Unova. going on to moves Elektross learns better moves/less weaknesses/better stats.

so Elektross please.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
This would've been a better matchup if that had been Klinklkang rather than Klang...

Anyway, I like Eelektross better mainly because of its wider movepool. Floating electric lampreys are also cool.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I think the OP did this poll the way it is because of the tiering system, but I don't think it works very well... I don't think Klang is used enough, even in Neverused...

Just realized something. I wanted to be cool and all, because Eelektross was one of Ghetsis' Pokémon. Then they give it to Cynthia, and Hugh of all people. Why Hugh has an Eelektross? It's like giving Ash a Gliscor and a Krookodile (OH WAIT!!).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think the OP did this poll the way it is because of the tiering system, but I don't think it works very well... I don't think Klang is used enough, even in Neverused...

Just realized something. I wanted to be cool and all, because Eelektross was one of Ghetsis' Pokémon. Then they give it to Cynthia, and Hugh of all people. Why Hugh has an Eelektross? It's like giving Ash a Gliscor and a Krookodile (OH WAIT!!).

Yeahhh. But the fact that tier drops happening in a few days means that I can just edit in Klinklang if it's dropped down and I'll inform everyone in the thread so they're free to change their votes. ;)

Anyway ya Ghetsis should've had it :( But even the fact that "big" people in-game had it makes it stand out more than Klang imo.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Yeahhh. But the fact that tier drops happening in a few days means that I can just edit in Klinklang if it's dropped down and I'll inform everyone in the thread so they're free to change their votes. ;)

Anyway ya Ghetsis should've had it :( But even the fact that "big" people in-game had it makes it stand out more than Klang imo.

The move tutors weren't kind to Klinklang. :( All it got from B2W2 was Wild Charge.

They tried to make a physical Magnezone but it didn't work very well because of the lack of moves. However, it makes sense that it has a lot of Electric moves. Klinklang is a machine, and machines can convert kinetic energy into electricity, and vice-versa.

Ghetsis has Eelektross in both games and Klinklang is Colress' ace Pokémon (no it's not Metagross! or Magnezone), so they have visibility. I personally think Eelektross is boss, but it suffers from Arcanine syndrome, it has high stats and lots of good moves, but isn't top tier.

Actually even if you change the poll I think Eelektross will still win because people think Klinklang is just a "bunch of gears" and hate on it. Meanwhile, Electrode is a plain ball and people don't seem to have a problem with it. Go figure.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
To be completely honest, I quite dislike both Pokemon. If I had to choose one, I'd say Eelektross, considering I've used it before in NU and it's proven to be quite useful. Other than that, there's nothing much else I can say that I like about these too. OH -- except for Eel's unique typing, which is pre' cool I suppose!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Eelektross easily. While Klang has access to moves such as Shift Gear and Gear Grind when set up correctly can turn the wonderful steel-type into a powerhouse, Eelektross easily beats it in a various range of things, with access to moves like Drain Punch and the other variety of punches, a huge diverse movepool, Eelektross can take down a huge range of Pokemon in the NU tier. If Klang and Eelektross had a battle it would be most likely Eelektross would win with a few Drain Punches to restore it's lost health while also chipping away with Fire Punch.

I also adore Eelektross's design, a huge eel is fascinating and awe-striking. Klang for me was like the gear form of Magneton but then again there are other great Pokemon which also follow along the same lines. But yeah in-game wise Eelektross is still better, I've always found it tricky working with steel-types in-game at least but that might just be me! Overall my vote goes to the wonderful electric eel, for better everything. :>

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Eelektross, bcuz I used it in my team in Black.

Also I don't like Klang much but with Automation and Eviolite he might prove useful.

Still, I'm better off with Eelektross bcuz it has awesome stats (but speed) and it's really useful Wild Charger. Also, it doesn't have to waste move space to cover up for weaknesses, since it has none, just look out for Haxorus and Rampardos.

I'mma be a rebel, and say Klinklang. Just because.

I would competitively, have it with of course shift gear- Gear Grind, Return, aaaand either volt switch or wild charge. (it gets wild charge now doesn't it?) Item being maybe occa or chople berry - in the case of going against eelektross at least. Otherwise maaaybe something else.

If I was feeling silly, I'd do the dragon ball z set, with Charge Beam and of course with that - a special Klinklang. Volt switch, Flash Cannon, and the like. It's power would be over 9000 after pestering things with charge beam for a while. (Assuming those crippling offensive type weaknesses didn't get it killed.)

But joking aside, Eelektross interests me much more for competitive play, I like its design more, and it seems more fun to use in general, even barring Klang's evolved form. :/ One sided matchup is one sided hehe.

Back